Fellaini watch | Retires

lex talionis

Best wishes to the man and his family, but the day we signed Fellaini was the day the catastrophe knows as the first decade after Ferguson began. His chest control was masterful, without question the greatest in the history of the game, but he was a colossus of ineptitude with the ball at his feet. For a big man he had no aerial game whatsoever and was a hacking machine. That he wrecked us in that 4-4 v Everton is indisputable but once he put on the red shirt the entire football world had a good laugh as we stumbled from Moyes to Van Gaal to Mourinho.

Blood Mage

He had a very good brief spell in LVG's first season, I recall him bossing the midfield in a convincing win against Spurs and scoring important goals in several games. For most of his time here though, he was poor and one of many players who came to symbolise the decline in standards in the post-Ferguson era of United. Never a Manchester United player.

Chipper

Adulterer.
More World Cup knockout goals than Ronaldo. Legend!

Got a bit of a soft spot for the fella, hope he enjoys his retirement.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I’d put him into the deepest darkest part of my brain. What a mess.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Agreed! When Van Gaal's "process" worked it was as good as I've ever seen United play..............then Carrick got injured and it all fell apart! :(
Van gaal couldve played Blind in place of Carrick and kept Fellaini + Herrera but he didnt do it consistently. I guess he never really liked Fellaini and Herrera. Just like how he didnt like Rafael. Im not saying Fellaini was the kind of midfielder we want but at the time we might as well make use of him even if it means a bit of hoofball. But Van Gaal is Van Gaal, a very stubborn man fixated on the correct way of playing football (according to him). He also preferred Blind at CB because he thought we needed that profile in our CB, even when our DM was crying out for Blind because Schneiderlin was crap. To me Blind at DM couldve been more impactful than playing as CB.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Don't forget, before McT there was Fellaini.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
You’re all mad.

He was the harbinger of 10 years of disaster, the poster boy transfer for the Woodward era. A ridiculous deal, over paid for him, painfully average player, utterly useless with his head for such a tall guy, and a real disappointment when viewed through the context of the players Moyes chose not to sign.

He’s not a cult hero, he’s a joke and a very naughty boy.

That said I wish him well in his retirement. :wenger:
No, that was obviously David Moyes.

Andersonson

Underrated. He is never a starter for a top team but a great option to have. Him being a starter is due to poor planing, recruitment, managers and owners. He gave everything and scored some important goals. Too bad he was called upon too many times

Juicy Juiced

A lot of you are harsh on big fella,only because he was first signing in post Fergie era.

IMHO, him, Ibra Cavani, Varane, Case, Martinez, are only players who would survive one year under Fergie.

(yesterday, i was watching Cavani goals, he didn't score much but all his goals are so good)

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Wish him all the best. Isn’t a signing we wanted or needed but he gave his best and scored some crucial goals and even got us some winners in some games. Very effective player.

fps

He wasn’t a midfielder, he wasn’t a striker, he wasn’t a 10, and his signing was a disastrous case of opportunity cost. He loves the club, and that’s great, but bigger picture that first transfer window was the start of the downgrading of Man Utd.

fps

A lot of you are harsh on big fella,only because he was first signing in post Fergie era.

IMHO, him, Ibra Cavani, Varane, Case, Martinez, are only players who would survive one year under Fergie.

(yesterday, i was watching Cavani goals, he didn't score much but all his goals are so good)
Cavani is the striker United should have gone for in that window. He would have been transformative.

Juicy Juiced

Cavani is the striker United should have gone for in that window. He would have been transformative.
Still have trauma from that summer, and still can't believe how we were unprepared for Fergie exit.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Fellaini is cool. Never a cm, but a weird hybrid targetman/attacking midfielder type, he did pretty good if utilized this way. Good luck to him in whatever he does next.

Dwight Corke

All the best to Marouane post-football. Never lacked commitment. Never let the booboys get to him.

Borninthe80ts

I liked him as a player even if he was clumsy at times. I maintain he was a better player than what we saw in England and the Standard Lierge team that beat Liverpool back in Europe had a dominant midfield that day with him included.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Say what you want, but Jose appreciates loyalty :)

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I liked him as a player even if he was clumsy at times. I maintain he was a better player than what we saw in England and the Standard Lierge team that beat Liverpool back in Europe had a dominant midfield that day with him included.
He was better than McTominay, when he played for United ;)

Son

Some rose-tinted lookbacks here. I was optimistic when he first joined as he had been promising at Everton, but was a poster boy for how wrong we got it for a long time at the club. I feel nothing for or against him.
He was but I’d also argue he was a decent buy in the end compared to some of our other post Fergie players.

He gave his all for the club and actually won some stuff here. It’s more than many have done for the past decade in a United shirt.

Wasn’t a United player by design but doesn’t mean he wasn’t a good footballer in reality.

el3mel

Some rose-tinted lookbacks here. I was optimistic when he first joined as he had been promising at Everton, but was a poster boy for how wrong we got it for a long time at the club. I feel nothing for or against him.
That's not his fault though. As a player he put on great efforts and was a great asset whenever we called him. He scored many important goals and played a key part in most of our few trophies we won in the last decade. By all means he was a successful signing. Us being over reliant on him or ruining our midfield to benefit from him because we have no better alternative is our fault ultimately.

Best of luck to the guy and hope he enjoys his retirement.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
MOTM in the Europa League final.
Assist in the FA Cup final.
Goal in the FA Cup Semi Final

Probably one of only a couple who played a part in every Post-Ferguson trophy up until last season.

He should only ever have been used as a Target 10 or box-crashing 8. When he was asked to do those things, he could decide a game.

Enjoy retirement big man.

onemanarmy

He was massively important for the Belgian National Team and I will always appreciate him for it. Had a better career than most.

Jean-Philippe Jason

Supports
Belgian red devils
I cannot believe the amount of grief the Big Man is still getting... How can you call yourselves 'supporters' when you shite on your own players ?
I reckon he wasn't the most gifted nor elegant player around. But he always gave his very best and was useful for titles... I suspect actual Man Utd would achieve much better results, had they more players with his mentality. Fellaini played with peak Hazard, KDB, Courtois, Witsel.... And nobody ever complained about him.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He was the epitome of the shite football played post SAF. The fact he was integral in getting us points on the board, more so during Jose's era, says it all.

Seemed like a good pro though.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He wasnt a player that fits United. His play style wasnt pretty to watch. But I can never dislike the guy. Yes he has limitations but he never stopped trying, worked hard, did everything he was instructed to do and never talked ill of anybody, of United despite being made a scapegoat. If Rashford and Sancho have his mentality they will be some player.

NiceGuyEddie

I was fond of Fellaini. Limitations aside, there's no denying he was all-out battler and, at times, he looked the only one of our players who was giving his all for the shirt. Something many of the current squad are still sorely lacking.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I was fond of Fellaini. Limitations aside, there's no denying he was all-out battler and, at times, he looked the only one of our players who was giving his all for the shirt. Something many of the current squad are still sorely lacking.
Disagree with this. I'd say , minor Sancho and Rashford, the squad have battled well this season. They only real limitations have been with some of their abilities.

Gavinb33

Scored one of the best goals ive ever seen live for us against Fulham

Anyway Felaini great career really won some pots played for United and his country a bunch of times