Female Ref's at World Cup for first time

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
No female main refs so far although they've been on 4th official duties a few times. I guess FIFA were hoping for some dead rubbers in the final group gameweek but almost all the games have progression/elimination riding on them. France-Tunisia looks like the only 'dead rubber' but the leading female ref (Frappart) is French herself.

If they aren't trusted with group stage games they certainly won't be getting any knockout games.

Abizzz

Any ref over that dutch guy from last night please.

I don't see why females shouldn't be able to ref just as well as men. It's not like refs should need physical strength...

Last edited:

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Don't like the idea of a female referee to be honest. Let females refree the women's game while the men do the mens game. No need to complicate things
You could probably have phrased that better however in the interests of debate, I will ask this.
In the upcoming woman's WC will there be any male refs. I could be wrong but I dont think there will be.
If that is the case why are we having female refs? Its not because they are better because they are clearly operating at a level of experience far below the mens game.
Only answer . To satisfy the woke brigade. The above comment certainly triggered a few in here

Withnail

You could probably have phrased that better however in the interests of debate, I will ask this.
In the upcoming woman's WC will there be any male refs. I could be wrong but I dont think there will be.
If that is the case why are we having female refs? Its not because they are better because they are clearly operating at a level of experience far below the mens game.
Only answer . To satisfy the woke brigade. The above comment certainly triggered a few in here
Well done on 'woke brigade' and 'triggered' that'll show them pesky libs. You missed out on using 'snowflakes' which was a tap-in. You also probably could have shoe-horned '****' in there with a bit more effort.

No female main refs so far although they've been on 4th official duties a few times. I guess FIFA were hoping for some dead rubbers in the final group gameweek but almost all the games have progression/elimination riding on them. France-Tunisia looks like the only 'dead rubber' but the leading female ref (Frappart) is French herself.

If they aren't trusted with group stage games they certainly won't be getting any knockout games.
Brazil and Portugal now too. Surely they have to give them at least one of the games, or else what's the point.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Easy there, Dr Peterson.

And hey, if there’s one thing fifa have made clear they’re keen to do at this World Cup, it’s ‘satisfying the woke brigade’… oh, wait.

Red Star One

>newbie
>rangers
>woke brigade

What do I win on the bingo today?

Grande

One problem with answering this is that someone might equate ‘answering’ with ‘being triggered’.

i agree that it could have been phraswd better, but will add that it also could have been meant better. I also agree that you could be wrong. The only things I don’t agree with is that a) the worlds best female refs are necessarily less experienced or less good than qatari refs for instance. For anyone confusing ‘more experienced’ with ‘best’, I would refer to Graham Moss’s last couple of seasons. And b), that the only reason why FIFA would do something is to ‘satisfy a woke brigade’. i just disagree completely with that. Moving benchmarks, making a statement of equality, turning the tables, lauding effort and performance, providing the world with new role models, spreading the game, doing something different for a change, or just picking the best refs could all be possible answers, and all more plausible than that FIFA wants to satisfy that particular brigade in Qatar. Tbh.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
"Also supports Rangers"

That explains it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't know about the other ones, but Frappart should feel entitled to lead a few games, doesn't she? As far as I'm aware she has the resume to do so.

Did she make too many mistakes in France recently?

Lyng

If Fifa cared about the "woke brigade" we wouldnt have a World cup in Qatar... Get a grip.

And quite frankly we need more women for the mens game, given how shite a lot of the male refs are.

Oranges038

Brazil and Portugal now too. Surely they have to give them at least one of the games, or else what's the point.
If they are good enough and have proven themselves capable at a reasonable level, they seem to have good experience internationally, they've done the women's WC and the Olympics.

They should be given a chance to referee matches based on merit, we've all seen WC games where a male referee from some crap league ruins the game because he's just not up to it.

Just giving them dead rubber group games just for the sake of giving them a game would be insulting.

If they are good enough and have proven themselves capable at a reasonable level, they seem to have good experience internationally, they've done the women's WC and the Olympics.

They should be given a chance to referee matches based on merit, we've all seen WC games where a male referee from some crap league ruins the game because he's just not up to it.

Just giving them dead rubber group games just for the sake of giving them a game would be insulting.
Fifa are probably avoiding a) the backlash if one of them makes a mistake and b) those forward thinking Qatari hosts.

I'd far prefer a female ref from a half decent league like France over some of the men coming from leagues that are barely even professional.

Ramos

I don't know about the other ones, but Frappart should feel entitled to lead a few games, doesn't she? As far as I'm aware she has the resume to do so.

Did she make too many mistakes in France recently?
She's getting Germany - Costa Rica.