Fergie - "I only ever had 4 world class players"

Kyriacandro

For those bringing in Rooney, he would never come in the World class category. He was nowhere near good as the 4 mentioned nor was he consistent.
How can you score that many goals when you're not an out and out striker and not be consistent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think if you make a bracket of elite players like Ronaldo, Messi, Ronaldinho, Brazilian Ronaldo, Henry Xavi, iniesta, Scholes, Zidane, Giggs, Cantona, Puyol, Nesta, Maldini considered to be best of the best the game has ever seen and term this bracket as world class then Fergie has managed 4 of them in his entire career.

The barometer of defining world-class has obviously changed now.
Since there is no real defenition it is the perfect football discussion.

rpg

I agree 80% with him. But the 4 is his fantastic four.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Keane, Stam, Rio, Vidic, Evra and Schmeichel were absolutely WC imo.

ToToMarshall

There’s probably an argument that in their own way those 4 exist in their own bracket above everybody else in terms of players he coached. I do however disagree with his definition of a world class footballer.

Just in my life-time, RVP, RVN, Rooney, Beckham, Rio, Vidic, EVDS, Big Pete, Keane and Stam all at the very least played at a world class level whilst coached by SAF.

scholesyboy18

How can you score that many goals when you're not an out and out striker and not be consistent.
I haven't watched Cantona play, but have seen the rest for their best part of the career. Rooney has been pretty bad to worse since 2012. Even in his best year's his touch was a bit inconsistent. I can remember one season ( 2008/09 ? ), where his touch was superb throughout the season. Haven't seen him replicate that later.