Fergies 99 signings

JB7

I assume your post is sarcasm, but we never paid a transfer fee for either of them.
Didn't pay a transfer fee for Michael Owen either and he's in the list.

Cina

Didn't pay a transfer fee for Michael Owen either and he's in the list.
He was a free "transfer" though. Both of those players were attained when they were too young to "transfer" for anything.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Irwin, Schmeichel and Ferdinand should be 10s.

Tevez and Berbatov should be 7s.

Nani should be a 7, not a 6, hes been easily better than players like Young and Anderson, and its laughable to have him below Valencia.

Manucho and Diouf should be 10s.

Otherwise its a pretty spot on list, considering the amount of transfers.

204Red

Maybe Schmeichel should be a 10... but I have no problem with Cantona and Ronaldo being listed that much higher than the rest. Maybe they should be 11s

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I'm surprised at Berbatov and Tevez getting 8s. And if Schmeichel is the best United keeper ever why does he get the same rating as Van Der Sar?

acnumber9

Sheringham doesn't warrant the same score as people like Cole, Solskjaer and higher than Hernandez.

Siorac

Sheringham doesn't warrant the same score as people like Cole, Solskjaer and higher than Hernandez.
The equalizer at the Nou Camp often seems to skew opinions on Sheringham's United career even though he really only had one very good season here (2000/01)

ricky-romeo

tevez first season was probably 8ish, but his second season was average so overall i'll give him something like 7.

berba is far from being a flop. because of his price tag we kind of expected much more from him and rightly so, but i think he did okay and is probably around 7.

10 should be given to cantona, keane, ronaldo, schmeichel.

9 or 9.5 to rio, vidic, irwin, van nistelrooy,

rooney is somewhere around 8.5 to 9, could have been a 10 actually if he kept his head down and has the hunger of ronaldo.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'm gonna be a right boring cnut and do my own...though I've only gone back to 97 as before that I was a small child with child like memories and opinions. I could probably do 96 but I got lazy:

Teddy Sheringham - 8 Berbatime can travel backwards, where it's more affordable and cost effecient
Erik Nevland - 5 Years after leaving, single handedly knocked Chelsea out of Europe whilst playing for some weird team. Strangely, I remember him as a United player purely because I can't remember him as a United player.
Henning Berg - 7 The master of miraculous goal line clearances

Jonathan Greening - 5 Unpleasantly surprised to learn we actually paid money for him
Jaap Stam - 8 Brilliant defender with a brilliantly amusing looking head.
Jesper Blomqvist - 6 Signed as some form of inferior Ryan Giggs, which he was, in the same way a marble may be seen as an inferior version of a planet.
Dwight Yorke - 7 I remember us signing him and deciding he was good based on the fact we signed him. Turns out this was correct.

Mark Bosnich - 4 A clown
Quinton Fortune - 7 I liked his angry smiling face. Decent pretend fullback. Decent back up midfielder.
Massimo Taibi - 3 Man Of The Match against Liverpool at Anfield
Mikael Silvestre - 7 Diagonal balls, calamaty defending, wasting last chance to get back into game with trademark 50 yard shot. Despite this, was quite good somehow.
Bojan Djordjic - 5 I remember him. He'd appear on Manchester United's squad list on every computer game for about 5 years, but I never got confirmation that he existed in real life.

Fabien Barthez - 6 The Deportivo game STILL infuriates me. WHY did he suddenly just run into the middle of the pitch and then stand there?

Ruud van Nistelrooy - 9 Only scored tap ins...except for when he didn't. Didn't do much else though, mainly due to most of his time being taken up by the amount of tap ins he scored.
Juan Veron - 5 Made sense as a signing, easily had the quality and flair...did things like miss half a season because his toe hurt.
Roy Carroll - 6 Decent back up. Annoying habit of occasionally throwing ball into own net.
Laurent Blanc - 2 The justification for signing him seems to be that he used to be good once so it didn't matter if he couldn't run anymore. Would probably play in midfield if he was still here now.
Kieran Richardson - 5 One of the original players who Fergie would put in midfield when he didn't particularly fancy having an actual midfield.

Diego Forlan - 7 Whenever he scored it was the greatest thing ever.
Rio Ferdinand - 9 Started to take himself seriously after getting himself banned for nearly an entire year. Now combines being a feckwit with being a strangely admirable character.
Luke Steele - 5 Not much you can say about a reserve goalkeepr signed at a time when we had 4 first team goalkeepers.
Ricardo Lopez - 4 Brought on whenever we desperately needed to concede a penalty

David Bellion - 5 MEN seem to think we signed him from some French team? Fairly sure we stole him from Sunderland who were just pretending they still wanted him.
Eric Djemba-Djemba - 3 Went downhill after he came on in the Charity Shield and started kicking Arsenal players everywhere. In hindsight, he probably was actually aiming for the ball.
Tim Howard - 6 Looked the business, then fumbled a cross or something and proceeded to never play well again.
Cristiano Ronaldo - 10 One trick pony who should be sold and then beheaded by Wayne Rooney.
Kleberson - 5 Mastered the art of being useless at football by being really good at it. Should have signed for Arsenal
Lee Martin - 5 Is this the one who looked shit hot in the reserves, but then each year, he'd spend the next year looking shit hot in the reserves, and then eventually he was too old? If so, him.

Dong - 1 Probably sold some shirts somewhere, or something.
Louis Saha - 7 Didier Drogba if he actually was always injured instead of just pretending to be.
Alan Smith - 7 Decent as a striker. So bad at being the new Roy Keane that the old Roy keane went mad and was booted out of the club.
Gabriel Heinze - 6 Maniacle defender who couldn't defend and then demanded the right to play for Liverpool
Liam Miller - 4 Last seen in a Celtic shirt, single handedly outplaying Barcelona's entire midfield at the Nou Camp.
Wayne Rooney - 8 Would be higher, but it was just the most obvious Manchester United signing ever.
Florent N’Galula - n/a I only remember him because he had a funny name

Nemanja Vidic - 9 I didn't know who he was
Patrice Evra - 9 I knew who he was, but I thought he was shit.
Edwin van der Sar - 8 Strangely obvious signing.
Park Ji-Sung - 8 One of those Fergie signings where no one else would think to bring him in, but Fergie does and turns him into a vitally important player, despite no one really being sure what he's good at.
Ben Foster - 6 England's new no1.

Michael Carrick - 9 Disliked signing by many at time due to not being Roy Keane. Then it turned out signing him meant Manchester United had a midfield again. Now, him and Manchester United's entire midfield are literally the same thing.

Owen Hargreaves - 4 Extremely large fee paid for man who's injuries picked up injuries.
Anderson - 6 Permanently locked in the last chance saloon. Will go on display in the museum after he retires.
Nani - 7 Fantastic when he's not infuriatingly shit.
Tomasz Kuszczak - 7 Reserve keeper. Did well, then fell victim to the Ronaldo slave academy.
Carlos Tevez - 7 Fat, stupid, and surprisingly excellent for a free (ish) player.

Manucho - 5 We have a habit of signing slightly useless reserve strikers for reasons no one can really explain.
Rafael - 8 Mop rampage
Fabio - 6 Injured mop rampage
Rodrigo Possebon - 5 Looked great until Pogatez ruined his career.
Dimitar Berbatov - 6 Didn't seem the type of player needed at the time. Also cost more money than any other United player. Ever.

Zoran Tosic - 1 Signed only so we could sign another player who we then changed our minds and didn't sign.
Paul Pogba - 5 Could have been one of our best signings. Allowed to leave for free due to bout of monumental and prolonged feckwittery from club.
Ritchie De Laet - 5 Liked him. Not sure why it didn't work out at Norwich.
Antonio Valencia - 8 Bit of a genius signing. Brought in to be good at a specific thing so other players could benefit in Ronaldo's absence.
Michael Owen - 6 Spent most of his time at United talking about horses on the internet. Was free
Gabriel Obertan - 3 Michael Silvestre had sex with a peperami, and this is what happened.
Mame Diouf - 4 Didn't understand the point

Bebe - 0 Someone who shouldn't have, made a lot of money out of this.
Chris Smalling - 7 Some kid playing as a semi-pro ends up looking the business for Manchester United. Fantastic
Javier Hernandez - 9 No one knew who he was. So good he scored against Manchester United for his old club AFTER Manchester United had signed him.

Anders Lindegaard - 7 Another back up keeper signed to be a back up keeper and who then gets stick from fans for performing as a back up keeper.
Phil Jones - 100 Manchester United's greatest ever player.
Ashley Young - 6 When your main strength is running about a lot, this is both a good and a bad thing
David de Gea - 7 How high his rating ends up depends mostly on how long he sticks around before fecking off back to Spain.

Nick Powell - n/a. Looks slightly like a Spitfire pilot.
Shinji Kagawa - 7 Fantastic at football. Misused a lot thus far.
Robin van Persie - 8 Volleys 'n shit.
Angelo Henriquez - n/a Angelo Hernandez
Alexander Buttner - 5 A semi-decent winger signed to pretend to be a fullback, while another actual fullback is sent on loan to a club where he doesn't play
Wilfried Zaha - n/a. Already scorned by some for wearing the wrong shirt to his medical.

There's a lot of 5 or lowers in there, but to be fair, they're nearly all reserve or low key signings that cost minimal amounts. Veron has to be the biggest flop. Not sure who I'd pick as best but there's a fair few candidates.

Cina

:lol:

The Blanc, Jones and Saha comments are especially funny.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Silvestre was class next to Rio at CB, fell apart without Rio though.
Rio was so great he masked Silvestre's shortcomings (Stam as well in Silvestre's first season but that was a horrendous showing that season). Sort of like how Ronaldo was so fecking amazing that he masked United's midfield shortcomings.

Silvestre was never class in central defense. Good and solid at his best, extremely terrible at his worst. Once Rio was suspended we saw how exposed Silvestre's defending, reading, and positioning truly were.

(I might be a tad harsh here)

ricky-romeo

silvestre was a decent LB though. for a couple of seasons before o'shea emerged and we signed heinze, silvestre was doing very well at LB.

Tribec

I think the one that sums up the whole article is the one on Bosnich

Mark Bosnich: Free from Aston Villa – Didn’t do an awful lot wrong. 5
He didn't exactly do an awful lot right either...

That article could have been done so much better, if I was to use it to rate itself, it has to be a "Ralph Milne/Bebe" rather than a "Cantona/Ronaldo".

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Nani should be a 7, not a 6, hes been easily better than players like Young and Anderson, and its laughable to have him below Valencia.
I agree Nani should be a 7, I disagree he should be above Valencia though... one poor season should not mask what an excellent signing Valencia has been for us.

Rio was so great he masked Silvestre's shortcomings (Stam as well in Silvestre's first season but that was a horrendous showing that season). Sort of like how Ronaldo was so fecking amazing that he masked United's midfield shortcomings.

Silvestre was never class in central defense. Good and solid at his best, extremely terrible at his worst. Once Rio was suspended we saw how exposed Silvestre's defending, reading, and positioning truly were.

(I might be a tad harsh here)
Silvestre was always better at left back anyway, where he was actually quite good at going forward, beating players and smacking those lovely cross-field balls.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Forlan as a 3 is harsh. When he was given a run he scored some vital goals. Most of those 27 games without a goal were sub appearances, plus he didn't cost that much compared to Veron who was marked a 4. A lot of questionable scores though

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Writing one of these type of lists is always going to bring tons of disagreements.

But 4 for Veron, and 2 for Cruyff have got to be harsh. It's simply judging them on reputation and what they could have been rather than on what they actually did.

Veron was still a good player, just average by his own level, so perhaps a 6.
Cruyff i wouldn't put lower than a 5 either.

How Tevez and Cole could both get 8s I don't know. Cole scored a sh!tload for years whereas Tevez only truly exploded when he left us.

If I was dishing 10s out, Cantona, Ronaldo, Keane and Schmeichel would be the certainties.
Rooney would be a 9, he's had 9years of some top moments here, he's getting put down to an 8 for his pissing about moments.
Ask yourself this, has he given more to the cause then Tevez?!

thoward

It's not a lisp!
I think the one that sums up the whole article is the one on Bosnich

He didn't exactly do an awful lot right either...

That article could have been done so much better, if I was to use it to rate itself, it has to be a "Ralph Milne/Bebe" rather than a "Cantona/Ronaldo".
To be fair, Bosnich had some very good games in some of the biggest games that season, e.g. Palmeiras, Arsenal(home), Leeds(away), Valencia(away) and Madrid(away). He did have some injury problems, notably when he had to come off against Leeds in the third game. I think his attitude off the pitch(lifestyle, training etc) probably went against him more than his performances on the pitch.His kicking was his biggest weakness by far.

ricky-romeo

To be fair, Bosnich had some very good games in some of the biggest games that season, e.g. Palmeiras, Arsenal(home), Leeds(away), Valencia(away) and Madrid(away). He did have some injury problems, notably when he had to come off against Leeds in the third game. I think his attitude off the pitch(lifestyle, training etc) probably went against him more than his performances on the pitch.His kicking was his biggest weakness by far.
i watched the world club cup final and the CL quarterfinal first leg and i thought bosnich was the man of the match in both of those games. his attitude cost him his career for sure.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Forlan as a 3 is harsh. When he was given a run he scored some vital goals. Most of those 27 games without a goal were sub appearances, plus he didn't cost that much compared to Veron who was marked a 4. A lot of questionable scores though
It's incredibly dumb.

Forlan was a cult hero and without his goals there'd have been no title in 2003. He was hardly a roaring success but hardly a huge mistake or flop either. Just someone for who it didn't quite work out.

They think we signed Bellion from some random French team and have invented a transfer fee for Carlos Tevez, then given him an 8 despite the fact he'd have been a bit of a shit signing if we'd paid £20m for him on top of his wages, then let him leave for free 2 years later.

Pscholes18

Jesper Blomqvist - 6 Signed as some form of inferior Ryan Giggs, which he was, in the same way a marble may be seen as an inferior version of a planet.

Mark Bosnich - 4 A clown

Kleberson - 5 Mastered the art of being useless at football by being really good at it. Should have signed for Arsenal

:lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yes he was and is.
Tevez as good as Rooney?

Don't think so somehow, or we'd have binned Rooney off or made him play third fiddle to Tevez (after Ronaldo)

Tevez had his best season after leaving us.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Bosnich couldn't stay fit and off the drink apparently. He was immense in the first leg against Real. Saved a handful of penalties that first season as well.

The 1999/2000 side should have repeated as European champions but losing Brown and Johnsen and plucking Silvestre to replace them was a terrible decision. They had Naybet locked up but concerns over his knee ended that transfer. I've read/heard SAF wanted either Barthez (Monaco said no), Toldo (too expensive?), or van der Sar (club waited too long) but Edwards had agreed a deal with Bosnich ahead of the summer window. Keane urged SAF to "spend big" that summer.

Still baffled why the club didn't strengthen the defense in the summer 2000 transfer window with Brown and May coming off major knee injuries, Johnsen still hobbled, Berg suddenly gone shit and Silvestre looking a calamity. Should have plucked Campbell from Spurs or Rio from West Ham. Fortunately, the club got Rio two years later at a massive price but well worth it.

Care_de_Bobo

Do people not remember Berbatov firing us to number 19 or that hat-trick against Liverpool? More than enough to warrant an 8 out of 10, just based on that, as a signing regardless of what a certain section of fans felt about him and his price tag.