Fergie's obsession with picking old players in midfield

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Rather the bleat on about it in the zombie or Cleverley threads, What say you gimps, is this a good thing or a bad thing? Sir Alex thinks it was this that "got us though" against Liverpool, and there's always an argument to be made for experience over youthful energy, as Arsenal have repeatedly refused to find out.

I say it's a bad thing though. We've gone too far the other way, and Fergie's become ridiculously over-reliant on Scholes and Giggs to do jobs their legs no longer allow them to do, and continues to pick them despite having other, better options available to him. It's actually crippling us hugely as a football team.

For me, never mind at Anfield, there is no longer ANY situation where Giggs can start games as one of a midfield two. He doesn't position himself well enough, he can't harry the opposition or move swiftly enough to play through them harrying him, and when we inevitably end up having to sit off, he doesn't track runners from midfield any better than an inexperienced young player would. In short, he just doesn't have the legs, or the discipline to make himself useful there. He's better suited playing in addition to or wide of the midfield, where he can use his guile to affect games while an actual midfield does the midfield work for him...and only in games where his lack of ability to track up and down the pitch every 30 seconds doesn't really matter.

I also don't think, in a vast majority of games, that Scholes is suited to playing in a midfield two anymore. Again, central midfield requires more work rate than any other area of the pitch, and he simply doesn't have the legs. He slows our play down FAR too much and other players default to him as a safe ball too often. There are games where we can get away with starting him there, because unlike Giggs he can dictate play through the middle without having to sprint around everywhere. These games are getting fewer and far between though, and there is no game where starting him in a midfield two makes us better...just games where we can get away with it and not be less likely to win. Basically home games against weak opposition who are going to sit behind the ball all game or not pose an attacking threat.

I find it particularly bizarre since Ferguson reportedly got rid of Berbatov because he wanted to play a "faster, more direct style" which Berbatov wasn't suited to, and now he deliberately picks midfields which force us to play at a much slower, less direct style, and which doesn't suit any of our attacking players at all...apart from Berbatov.

If our manager genuinely thinks that it was experience that won us the game yesterday, then I also find this very worrying. He handed over any chance we had of imposing a gameplan on the opposition by picking Giggs alongside Carrick...and then it was Giggs's lack of discipline/sharpness without the ball that cost us a soft goal.

Cina

I think at times we just have to have Scholes in the midfield so that we can actually pass the ball as a cohesive unit, and that's shown in the last few games where we've looked pretty hopeless without him there, but there's absolutely no way Giggs should be in there anymore.

My problem is that I thought we should've been using Scholes and Giggs as total luxury players this year, and be far less reliant on them, but unfortunately that hasn't been the case for us at all.

I'm always right

Some excellent points noods, particularly the one regarding Berbatov.

I think it's time SAF put more trust Anderson and Cleverley. As we're seeing with Rafael, young players need a run of games.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I disagree whole-heartidly on Scholes. He's still our best central midfielder for my money and still good enough to start in a 2 man midfield. For his age, he gets around the pitch a fair bit I would say... it's not like he shirks his defensive duties or doesn't track back or anything of the sort... and I wouldn't say he slows are play down either, as generally this season, a lot of our best attacking moves have started with him in some way.

However, I don't think he should be starting two games in a week.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Not buying this experience lark. Anderson has played loads of big games, I can only imagine he's not fully fit. The thing I don't get is SAF seems weary of throwing youngsters in and going for it, I understand he doesn't want them to sink before they swim but SAF always used to back young players. Now he seems keener to rotate them, the De Gea situation is baffling. Rafael has only got a run of games because of injuries, Welbeck gets games but gets shunted out wide too often, Cleverley has been benched for the might of Wigan, Galatasaray and Liverpool. The great thing about youth is the innocence, they have no fear. Rafael is a great example.

I don't know why SAF wanted to play the occassion more than the team yesterday. Cleverley's an intelligent lad and he wasn't going to start diving into challenges like Shelvey. I don't like this passive Sir Alex, fecking go for it. At least Park wasn't available to be selected yesterday because I'm if we still had he would have played.

Adebesi

I honestly think he will. Liverpool away is a special case. Not that he was necessarily right to play Giggs in midfield - on the contrary, I wouldnt have done so. But I dont think SAF will default to that selection regularly. Cleverley will be picked ahead of Giggs most of the time.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Giggs as an impact sub is more than welcome cause his vision against tired defenders can create problems but starting with him in any matches doesn't make sense anymore

Cina

However, I don't think he should be starting two games in a week.
We don't really have a choice though.

It's going to be like the season he retired, overplay him for the first few months, he'll be burnt out by New Years and retire again.

I do wonder though, is there any hope for Anderson anymore?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I think at times we just have to have Scholes in the midfield so that we can actually pass the ball as a cohesive unit, and that's shown in the last few games where we've looked pretty hopeless without him there, but there's absolutely no way Giggs should be in there anymore.

The only one of our last few games Scholes hasn't started was yesterday.

The only game where I think we've passed the ball well and with any kind of tempo was against Fulham.

Wigan was a perfect example of the point I'm trying to make with Scholes. He passed the ball very well himself, but as a team we actually passed the ball very poorly, because nearly every single pass that wasn't from Scholes, was to Scholes, and he was clearly struggling to move from position to the next in order to dictate the play at any kind of pace. He's 38 years old. We got better when Carrick started taking the responsibility on himself, but Carrick doesn't need Scholes in the team to do that. If anything having Scholes there seems to encourage him not to. It was one of the games I referred to where we can get away with Scholes being in there, because Wigan were toothless and allowed him time on the ball.

ArmchairCritic

What I don't get is that if SAF wanted experience so bad, surely Scholes was the more natural option and surely he could rested Scholes for the Galatasaray/Wigan game. Perhaps then the worry is the pace of the game would pass Scholes by but Giggs in midfield just leaves a vacuum of space.

Adebesi

It's going to be like the season he retired, overplay him for the first few months, he'll be burnt out by New Years and retire again.

I suggested last season they have a job share. Giggs plays the first half of the season, Scholes the second. We could keep them going another 5 or 6 years.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

I think we could have got away with not playing him in midweek... We had Cleverly available and he should have got the nod.

Ando will probably get another chance... otherwise I imagine he'd have been sold in the summer... I can't imagine he's match fit enough to play a CL game against Galatasary or at Anfield though. He'll get a run out midweek, then it'll be interesting to see what happens from there.

ArmchairCritic

The only game where I think we've passed the ball well and with any kind of tempo was against Fulham.

Wigan was a perfect example of the point I'm trying to make with Scholes. He passed the ball very well himself, but as a team we actually passed the ball very poorly, because nearly every single pass that wasn't from Scholes, was to Scholes, and he was clearly struggling to move from position to the next in order to dictate the play at any kind of pace. He's 38 years old. We got better when Carrick started taking the responsibility on himself, but Carrick doesn't need Scholes in the team to do that. If anything having Scholes there seems to encourage him not to.
Yeah the Anderson/Cleverley combination is by far our most dynamic option, if you put Carrick behind them then we have a really solid midfield when on form. The issue then becomes fitting in Kagawa, Rooney, RVP, Nani, Valencia etc. into 3 if we want to play that way.

Cina

Wigan was a perfect example of the point I'm trying to make with Scholes. He passed the ball very well himself, but as a team we actually passed the ball very poorly, because nearly every single pass that wasn't from Scholes, was to Scholes, and he was clearly struggling to move from position to the next in order to dictate the play at any kind of pace. He's 38 years old. We got better when Carrick started taking the responsibility on himself, but Carrick doesn't need Scholes in the team to do that. If anything having Scholes there seems to encourage him not to.
I'm not disagreeing with you here, like I said, we're totally overplaying him and it's really disappointing that we have to do so.

Honestly, we don't have a good enough midfield combination to play two players in it in the big games, I shudder at the thought of what Yaya will do to us.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Anderson had a knock, so he is not 100%

I think with luck he will begin to play a few games now. Fergie is being cautious with Cleverley. He had a bad injury last season then had the Olympics and some England games. Again slowly but surely he will be integrated into the side.

Rafael has been playing fairly regular for the past few years, plus he has no competition which explains his run of games.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
ok since the transfer window is closed that makes discussing purchasing players pointless, so if we leave Giggs and Scholes out of it for a minute, what does that leave us?

Carrick
Cleverley
Anderson

Anderson who's hardly been fit this season so far

I can fully understand why SAF would start Giggs or Scholes based on what is in the squad at the moment

(of course one could argue about the shortage of midfield options but that topic has been done numerous times in other threads)

henno

scoles does not have 90 minutes of a crisp football game in him...
giggs even less so unfortunately.

scholes however is still our best midfielder we have. Ryan alas has final seen his age catch up with him. he has been woefully below par in the last few games ive seen him play... and i think his part should be reduced to cameo, last 30minutes when required.

michael carrick has an innate talent to disappear in games. Ive always said that for a guy his size he has absolutely no physical presence and is too timid.
yesterday he may as well not have been on the pitch.

i think we should be on the look out for an established mature midfielder in january...
even someone along the lines of el-ahmadi could do the job for us.

kps88

Like many others have said, it's a simple case of not having any better options at the moment.

Brophs

The One and Only
I agree we can sometimes play the older players in games they aren't probably suited to, but the fact that Scholes came on and changed the game again probably puts paid to the idea we have better players in reserve. Cleverley will, I think, be a really good player for us but he lacks experience and defensive nous. Anderson has a bit more experience but possibly even less defensive nous. Obviously those two together can look very good going forward, but you can't just stream forward at Anfield. And Anderson particularly isn't very good at controlling the pace of the game, which was important in the second half yesterday.

For whatever it's worth, I'm worried that we're still relying on Scholes and Giggs. But we probably wouldn't be - or at least not to the same extent - if Fletch had stayed fit, Cleverley hadn't been injured last season or Anderson had shown some degree of consistency. Where Anderson's concerned I think we're locked into him now given how much he cost. I think we'd have cut our losses if he was a £5m player, but since he cost so much we almost have to give him more chances to justify it or face losing a massive amount of money on him.

All that being said, I think it's painfully obvious that we need a top, top midfielder. None of the players mentioned are in the top bracket, or even close.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I think we're saying he should trust the 2 he has.
Exactly. It's not an ideal situation with our midfield however you utilise what we have...but at the moment we're crippling ourselves, imo. We have attacking players who are suited to playing with a quick, direct tempo, and utilise our midfield to do the opposite.

We're misusing Scholes and Giggs in order to not make use of Cleverley and Anderson, imo. It doesn't make any sense.

Anyone could look at the side we picked yesterday and tell it'd struggle to compete in the middle, just the same as the team picked for the Manchester derby at the end of last season. I can't figure out what goes through Ferguson or any of our coaches' minds to make them think experience will somehow trump over leaving yourselves physically and tactically incapable of coping with the opposition.

Cina

All that being said, I think it's painfully obvious that we need a top, top midfielder. None of the players mentioned are in the top bracket, or even close.
Simple as that really, unfortunately that time has past now so I guess there's no point dwelling on it, but Fergie has just gotten it so, so very wrong with our midfield in the last few years.

Brophs

The One and Only
Yeah the Anderson/Cleverley combination is by far our most dynamic option, if you put Carrick behind them then we have a really solid midfield when on form. The issue then becomes fitting in Kagawa, Rooney, RVP, Nani, Valencia etc. into 3 if we want to play that way.
It's not solid, though, is it? It's a very talented midfield and comfortable on the ball, but when they've played together teams have just played through us.

ArmchairCritic

It's not solid, though, is it? It's a very talented midfield and comfortable on the ball, but when they've played together teams have just played through us.
To my mind a midfield three of Carrick, Anderson and Cleverley has not played together?

Brophs

The One and Only
To my mind a midfield three of Carrick, Anderson and Cleverley has not played together?
Sorry, I meant Cleverley and Anderson. I think they'd just end up leaving Carrick running around like a blue-arsed fly trying to stop the inevitable.

Cina

And it shouldn't need to, because then Kagawa gets either dropped or moved. We should simply have two players capable of playing behind him effectively both defensively and distributing, and quite frankly, we don't, not right now anyway.

golden_blunder

Staff
jesus its not rocket science Noods

Anderson has a knock, Fletcher has been out for a year

Carrick plays. The question is who alongside him?

Cleverley? No, the two of them quite clearly cant play together in a 2. We've seen that since day 1

Therefore you go with Giggs or Scholes

Personally i think he got it right on the tactics for this particular match, just that some individuals didnt play well. Im more concerned with what has happened to Nani.

ps. how many more ways can you moan about the midfield?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
ok since the transfer window is closed that makes discussing purchasing players pointless, so if we leave Giggs and Scholes out of it for a minute, what does that leave us?

Carrick
Cleverley
Anderson

Anderson who's hardly been fit this season so far

I can fully understand why SAF would start Giggs or Scholes based on what is in the squad at the moment

(of course one could argue about the shortage of midfield options but that topic has been done numerous times in other threads)
Jones is injured as well. I suspect he'd be playing a few of these gaes.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Like many others have said, it's a simple case of not having any better options at the moment.
It makes you wonder why we wanted to spend 60m on a striker and a winger but nothing on a midfielder.

Personally I am starting to wonder about Phelan's part in all this, we have absolutely no tactical nous; we are poor at defending set pieces and our 'philosophy' painfully basic. I think that we are crying out for some coaching influence with a bit of culture about it, not this 4-4-2 'swashbuckling' wing play that the management, in my opinion, incorrectly think is exciting.

There seems to be a real imbalance in the team that is only going to get worse when Rooney comes back, we have no idea how to make our personnel work as a cohesive unit. Too many attackers, too few midfielders, no legs where you need them most and we don't seem to even know what pressing is.

The first half against Liverpool yesterday was the worst that I can remember us playing, it really was amazingly bad, we just looked like we had no team 'ID' and no tactical refinement.

Cina

jesus its not rocket science Noods

Anderson has a knock, Fletcher has been out for a year

Carrick plays. The question is who alongside him?

Cleverley? No, the two of them quite clearly cant play together in a 2. We've seen that since day 1

Therefore you go with Giggs or Scholes

Personally i think he got it right on the tactics for this particular match, just that some individuals didnt play well. Im more concerned with what has happened to Nani.

ps. how many more ways can you moan about the midfield?
Oh come on, he did not.

Cina

I don't think Fletcher will ever be the player he used to be again, nor would he fix our problems seeing as him and Carrick have never worked as a midfield pairing.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I agree we can sometimes play the older players in games they aren't probably suited to, but the fact that Scholes came on and changed the game again probably puts paid to the idea we have better players in reserve. Cleverley will, I think, be a really good player for us but he lacks experience and defensive nous. Anderson has a bit more experience but possibly even less defensive nous. Obviously those two together can look very good going forward, but you can't just stream forward at Anfield. And Anderson particularly isn't very good at controlling the pace of the game, which was important in the second half yesterday.

For whatever it's worth, I'm worried that we're still relying on Scholes and Giggs. But we probably wouldn't be - or at least not to the same extent - if Fletch had stayed fit, Cleverley hadn't been injured last season or Anderson had shown some degree of consistency. Where Anderson's concerned I think we're locked into him now given how much he cost. I think we'd have cut our losses if he was a £5m player, but since he cost so much we almost have to give him more chances to justify it or face losing a massive amount of money on him.

There was no point during the game yesterday where we were controlling anything, and Giggs's defensive discipline isn't much better than what Ando or Cleverley would have supplied (he cost us the goal)...having one of them in the team may also have meant being able to spend less than about 95% of the game being reliant on defensive discipline.

This is the thing. I agree we needed to sign a midfielder. I don't know anyone who isn't in the employment of Manchester United who doesn't think this...but since we're not going to get one, we should at least make best use of the midfielders we have.

We're not even coming close to doing that at the moment, imo. It was understandable for the second half of last season since we basically had no choice (although the team selection for City game was like an OAP surrender parade). This season we're trying to play a two man midfield with near 40 year olds to do the leg work, when we have two players in their early twenties who are both perfectly suited to play in that role (albeit Anderson tends to die after an hour, or sometimes just be really, really shit).

The time to stop relying on Giggs and Scholes, regardless of the alternatives, was a long, long time ago. If we have to play them we really need to change our system and style of play to suit, like we did with Keane...and that didn't really work anyway, and probably would even less so this time given that we have arguably the greatest collection of direct attacking players in the world.

Cina

given what is at his disposal at the moment, I'd argue that he did. We got the 3 points didnt we?
A tired excuse, they went down to ten men and our midfield was still dominated, until Scholes came on at least. You can't just say "we got three points so we must have been fine and did everything right".

Giggs shouldn't have started in midfield, that was painfully obvious.

golden_blunder

Staff
the problem is that we are top heavy with midfielders who like to attack. The likes of Kagawa, Cleverley and Anderson require some heavy duty midfield protection. So, there is an imbalance in the squad that i hope we address by next summer at the latest, but for now we need to work with what we have

ArmchairCritic

Sorry, I meant Cleverley and Anderson. I think they'd just end up leaving Carrick running around like a blue-arsed fly trying to stop the inevitable.
I don't know, it's not ideal though is it? We have a shit injury record and our best midfield on paper either requires a 37 year-old to be fit or two crocks to be fit. We're a midfielder short. Morrison and Pogba, two of the most vaunted players from our last FAYC winning squad have moved on after providing hope they could bring something to the central areas where we've looked below par for a few years now. They moved for varying reasons but if we're not backing youth and we're not buying anyone in the Midfield area then what are we doing. Powell looks like he's being converted into a CM but he's a fair few years off, Petrucci has looked promising but we'll see on Wednesday how much a look in he gets. It's all a bit aimless from SAF in regards to midfield.