Ferran Torres - Barcelona Player

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Why not? Any articles or tweets?
According to ESPN, they thought they could because of Agüero's retirement, turns out it's not enough. They need to sell someone else first to have salary space.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
According to ESPN, they thought they could because of Agüero's retirement, turns out it's not enough. They need to sell someone else first to have salary space.
Amazing if true.

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
Amazing if true.
Partly true. They knew aguero retiring wasn't enough but they also knew they had to remove a couple of players like umtiti, Coutinho, dembeles renewal.

Transfer window opens on 3rd for la Liga and I believe ferran Torres will only be match fit around 15th so they have a little bit of time

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Why don’t you just focus on the reported facts than plucking figures from up your backside?
https://www.spotrac.com/epl/manchester-city-fc/payroll/
Because nobody believes City’s officially reported wages, and with good reason. Their use of shell companies making offshore payments is well documented. Torres, like many others, was given a huge signing bonus in lieu of wages, so FFP could be “adhered” to in the PL.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Barca aren't skint anymore I guess. That little crisis lasted just long enough to shove Messi out the door it seems. Now they're spunking 50 million on Man City reserves.
Really smells off this deal. Barca have a near £1.5 Billion debt. They've bid £50 Mill straight off the bat for an unproven player who wasn't being chased by any other club. Who does this.
They are paying 50m for him in 4 installments, the first of which is next summer. So they are actually paying nothing for him now. When you are as rich as City, you can afford to do this, and is actually smart business because Barca have probably paid an extra 5m to do it in instalments and delaying the first payment 6 months. Pretty standard practice in football to have a higher fee when it’s structured over several years. The more generous and extended those terms, the bigger the premium.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
They are paying 50m for him in 4 installments, the first of which is next summer. So they are actually paying nothing for him now. When you are as rich as City, you can afford to do this, and is actually smart business because Barca have probably paid an extra 5m to do it in instalments and delaying the first payment 6 months. Pretty standard practice in football to have a higher fee when it’s structured over several years. The more generous and extended those terms, the bigger the premium.
So Barcelona are like my little sister when she tried to justify getting a load of clothes in credit from a catalogue. "But i don't have to pay for anything yet, it's spread over time".

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Because nobody believes City’s officially reported wages, and with good reason. Their use of shell companies making offshore payments is well documented. Torres, like many others, was given a huge signing bonus in lieu of wages, so FFP could be “adhered” to in the PL.
Isn't that illegal?
With the number of bloodhounds on City's trail just waiting for another opportunity to catch them out and get them expelled from the major competitions I really don't think that huge signing bonuses paid vicariously for a 19 year old kid playing at a second tier Spanish club are necessary.
The opportunity to play for currently the best team in the strongest League in the world and improve his game under the best coaching staff in a generation was more than enough incentive to tempt Torres to Manchester.
Of course if you have proof of your assertion that rules were broken instead of just your hardly impartial gut feeling please do enlighten me.
There are many journalists who would also like to report your "proof" just as they have many times in the past.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Where do you get £110m from? Just the players in that list add upto £143m
It's mentioned 143 million USD as total, which is around 110 million pounds. Wonder where the other 200+ million is spent as total wages are around 300 million.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Signed, but they can’t register him due to the salary cap

Talks ongoing with Dembele to convince him to extend the contract reducing the salary and register Ferran
Surely all the players who reduced their wages last summer would be a little miffed at Barca? Splashing 50m plus wages on what looks to be an unnecessary signing and they let their living legend leave etc.

Dembele and his advisors will hopefully tell them to do one.

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
Ferran Torres: “I've always said it, it was very clear to me. I went to #ManCity to return to one of the greats in Spain. I was prepared to assume this responsibility. I want to return Barca to the place where it deserves."

City in shambles.

Cloud7

Ferran Torres: “I've always said it, it was very clear to me. I went to #ManCity to return to one of the greats in Spain. I was prepared to assume this responsibility. I want to return Barca to the place where it deserves."

City in shambles.
I don’t think anyone would be surprised by this? Even if City are in a better position right now, Real and Barcelona still have an allure that no other club in world football possess, even more so for a player from Spain.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
While we’re already laughing about Barca, is it true that Ajax and Liverpool sold the debts for Frenkie and Coutinho to investors?

predator

Youth NITK
City are in a position where they can afford to lose their best players. A young Spanish lad wanting to go back to Spain to a club like Barca is not that significant.

However, how many times have they actually lost key players to the likes of Madrid or Barca? They seem to be very good at keeping their star players.

Skills

Snitch
So with most likely Lewandowski, Raphinha, Dembele, Aubameyang all at Barcelona next season - what does it mean for him? Why did they spend £50m on what is now going to be at best a bench option? Especially in their financial situation?

GledTheRed

So with most likely Lewandowski, Raphinha, Dembele, Aubameyang all at Barcelona next season - what does it mean for him? Why did they spend £50m on what is now going to be at best a bench option? Especially in their financial situation?
The deal seemed dodgy to me.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Probably because they engineered some deal where his £50m value is on the books today but they don't have to pay his fee until a couple of years time. That way they've added assets whilst not paying out any money for him.

Bwuk

I always thought he was a decent enough player but was never going to match the expectations Barca had of him.

He'd do well here if he fancied a return to Manchester.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He was never that good but I got cooked for questioning the deal in this thread when it happened. £50m for a City’s 5th choice winger was a smart play

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Probably because they engineered some deal where his £50m value is on the books today but they don't have to pay his fee until a couple of years time. That way they've added assets whilst not paying out any money for him.
One of the most bizarre purchases ever.
Barcelona are a poorly run club.
And the award for understatement of the year goes to….
Barcelona signed him because he is young and with a lot of potential. And in the Spanish national team he was playing at a very high level.
If any Englishman had scored 12 in 22 games with his national team it would have cost €100M+

Tavern in the town

Barcelona signed him because he is young and with a lot of potential. And in the Spanish national team he was playing at a very high level.
If any Englishman had scored 12 in 22 games with his national team it would have cost €100M+
He scored 9 goals in 28 league games for City. That’s worse than 1 in 3 for the team that scores the most goals in the league every single season.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
He scored 9 goals in 28 league games for City. That’s worse than 1 in 3 for the team that scores the most goals in the league every single season.
It will be because the other City players scored 20+, right?
City's goals are widely distributed and it also counts what he does with his national team.
Also here we know the level he had in Valencia.
And how many goals did Grealish score that cost €120M?

Idxomer

He was never that good but I got cooked for questioning the deal in this thread when it happened. £50m for a City’s 5th choice winger was a smart play
He has always been average, never knew what the fuss was about when people here were praising him.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He's just kinda meh i guess.
That game against Germany kinda inflated his stock i suppose.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
that’s not a bad record
Not that I believe in using goals as the sole metric in assessing performances anyway, but of those 28 games only 19 were starts, so I’m not sure why that poster thinks it’s a bad record.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
“By working, with discipline, I believe in myself and I know that what I am looking for will come to me”

“Not everything is pretty, there is a lot of criticism and you have to be prepared for that”

"Scoring goals is like fecking in the ass. You have to be very oiled"

Ferrán Torres for LaLigaTV