FIFA charge Shaqiri and Xhaka for goal celebrations

Suedesi

As a Kosovan Albanian, I don't like that analogy in the first place, neither I do the mentioning of genocide in Kosovo (in Bosna it is different). The Holocaust analogies really don't serve and are offending to the Jews. On the other hand, there were really massive war crimes, mostly from Serbia in the war of Kosovo.

Saying that, I genuinely do not see why on Earth that should be offending. It is hardly a symbol of war of Kosovo, it is hardly the symbol of Greater Albania, or some other myth. It is the symbol of Albanians (among others), and it is is in the flag of Albania, which among others it happens to be also in Belgrade, is Albanian's embassy. And in recent years, the relations between Serbia and the Republic of Albania have actually been quite good. If he had made the symbol of Kosovo (how on Earth can you do that in the first place), I could have understood the reaction, but that hardly wasn't the case.

Now fans and Serbian politicians getting offended is quite understandable considering that they love to be offended and finding the gesture provocative, but apparently Kolarov got offended too. He went as far as to call the Swiss players primitive, and to say that we aren't like them. Which kind of proves that he is a goldfish.

This happened after Serbia scored against Albania, in Albania:

Now the three finger sign originally wasn't meant to be a nationalist symbol (it is just the Holy trinity) but it had been used intensively from Serbian paramilitaries during Yugoslavian wars, so a lot of people might find it offensive. However, unlike in this case, no one really mentioned it, fans didn't throw things at the players, and Albanian's president didn't cry and say 'they hate us, but we are good people and we do not have anyone', neither players complained, neither Albanian manager wanted to send referee or someone in Hague.
Great post, thanks for taking the time to write it down.

Rooney24

You were naming the people who came out in support of their actions. I answered, implying that not everyone in Switzerland feels the same. Whether they say it's because of it being provocative or offensive to the Swiss is irrelevant. There was still controversy about it among the people.

Why do you think "the caf warriors" on here are mentioning the fact that they think it could be offensive to the country they're playing for? They are not invested in this case, it's just common sense.
Was there? Where did you see that?

I also live in Switzerland. I can tell you honestly every single Swiss person I have spoken to about this bar none is not in the slightest offended about this or even feel it controversial. They actually think it is a lot of noise over nothing.

As has been mentioned multiple times in this thread in one way or the another the Swiss are totally comfortable with and totally understand players playing for their country while having a strong affinity for their country of origin. 25% of the people who live here are immigrants so its pretty normal for them. Maybe it doesnt work that way in other countries which is why some people cant understand it very well but it works here.

Janson

Why my bias is shining? I just said that making an eagle gesture isn't or shouldn't be disrespectful, unless you get offended by existence of Albanians (which mind you, a lot of Serbian people do). I also posted a pic when Tosic did their equivalent sign on a match vs Albania in Albania, and no one really had a problem with it, and no one complained.

FIFA are a bit stupid at times, and the incident generated too much controversy (from Serbian part) so they had to look like they are doing something.

It just shows that it isn't a provocative thing. A lot of Albanians (or people with Albanian origin like the two mentioned singers) do it all the time. It isn't showing the middle finger to other people, neither a Nazi salute to get offended from.
The sign itself isn't of course, neither is being proud that you're albanian. But in the context of how it happened, you do understand why people see it as provocative. The Serbian fans who acted in a despicable way are ignorant morons, while Xhaka and Shaqiri are pro footballers who shouldn't engage with that kind of scum.

I don't know the circumstances around the situation when the Serb made the three finger sign so I shouldn't really comment on it. Although, I just read about the drone incident in 2014. Looking at these things, it seems like things are so heated that anything can set people of. So obviously, I don't think the Serbian sign should be allowed either.

The reason I think you're biased, is that you're trying too hard to absolve them of any blame, and you just dismiss the idea that this kind of behaviour can escalate things. I'm sure this is the main thing Fifa had in mind when they banned this. You're clearly pretty invested emotionally, so it's impossible really to not be biased.

There have been countless fights between Serbs and Albanians in Sweden over the years, and I'm pretty sure it happens in other countries as well. I know that it's only the lowest of scum and criminals that are involved in these confrontations, who are not right in the head. They are still people though and these are the kind that get fueled by provocation like this.

Janson

Was there? Where did you see that?

I also live in Switzerland. I can tell you honestly every single Swiss person I have spoken to about this bar none is not in the slightest offended about this or even feel it controversial. They actually think it is a lot of noise over nothing.

As has been mentioned multiple times in this thread in one way or the another the Swiss are totally comfortable with and totally understand players playing for their country while having a strong affinity for their country of origin. 25% of the people who live here are immigrants so its pretty normal for them. Maybe it doesnt work that way in other countries which is why some people cant understand it very well but it works here.
That could be the case. I'm pretty sure it's not easy to understand at all for some people because things are different in their countries.

For your first question, take a look at the links I posted further up.