FIFA put their foot down on European Super League...

Yeah, let's see anybody watch or sponsor a World Cup where no players from any of the big clubs are allowed to participate. More pointless posturing in the never ending saga.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
UEFA and FIFA won't allow the Champions League to be replaced by a Super League, this shouldn't really come as a surprise when you see how much the TV rights of the CL go for these days...$$$$

FIFA have their own improved club competition incoming, The new club world cup which will also generate $$$$ for them.

So the super league is dead in the water I think unless players in it don't want to play in FIFA or UEFA competitions or they win a legal battle allowing them to.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Say the top 40 clubs decide to stick 2 fingers up to them and create 2 divisions of a "World Super League" complete with promotion and relegation?

They'd then operate completely outside the confines of FIFA, UEFA, The FA etc - what would even stop them?

All the best players would end up there.

diarm

This is a pickle. On one hand, nobody wants to see a Super League, but on the other hand, this could be just the ticket to bin Fifa and Uefa and set up international football the way it should be.

Let Fifa run their World Cups in Russia, Qatar, Saudi, North Korea or wherever else want to pay them enough backhanders to host a tournament with none of the worlds best players in it. Then set up a properly run and administered international window every year in May/June. Instead of pulling players out for games nobody wants to watch and interrupting club football during the year, give them two months at the end of every season where the full focus is on the international game. Keep the same 4 year schedule but tidy up and condense the qualifying:

Year 1 - Continental qualifying
Year 2 - Continental tournament
Year 3 - World qualifying
Year 4 - World Cup

Is there any way they could do this anyway? Keep the Premier League and Champions League but tell Fifa to feck off?

RoyH1

This will be one hell of a staredown. If FIFA and UEFA want to win this, they need to get the PL on their side. The big PL clubs don't desperately need the European super league like Juventus or the spanish giants do, and without them the ESL idea would die.

tomaldinho1

Yeah, let's see anybody watch or sponsor a World Cup where no players from any of the big clubs are allowed to participate. More pointless posturing in the never ending saga.
Exactly, such an empty threat.

Gasolin

Say the top 40 clubs decide to stick 2 fingers up to them and create 2 divisions of a "World Super League" complete with promotion and relegation?

They'd then operate completely outside the confines of FIFA, UEFA, The FA etc - what would even stop them?

I think there is a question to ask though. What makes a top club, a top club? It's the fact that they have to win something. By not winning, and by the nature of this competition, they could go on a long run of not winning it at any time, they become "non top" clubs. Then what?

Cloud7

Good. Glad to see them come out against this. Super league is the worst idea to come out of football this century.

Dismember

I think there is a question to ask though. What makes a top club, a top club? It's the fact that they have to win something. By not winning, and by the nature of this competition, they could go on a long run of not winning it at any time, they become "non top" clubs. Then what?
What the European super league would do is similar to the nba. you have a set number of teams that can’t change. they don’t even recognize other clubs, as if they don’t exist and people don’t need them. For example in nba a team can move its location, in that case what does that team really represent? Basically teams represent corporations nothing of intrinsic value.

Redlyn

If they put down a statement it must mean that there is some smoke. Hope it breaks out into a fire just for the fun of watching it all burn.

The Football League couldn't stop the establishment of the Premier League
The football league isn't exactly FIFA....

90 + 5min

To even think about SuperLeague is just out of order. FIFA, UEFA and all other confederations should ban everyone even coming up with such a idea.

We know that FIFA (or other) isn't always looking for the best of supporters but for me it is big NO for anything when it comes to some fantasy super league.

90 + 5min

Would they? When they can't represent their country? When FIFA or some other confederations can discuss with governments and somehow ban every team to even play in their country? Or just put a tax for 75% of their wage.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
FIFA wouldn't stand a chance in a battle like that and they would obviously back down before getting in to one.

They're saying this now because they know the Super League plans aren't coming to fruition any time soon.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I've always wondered how was this superleague was percieved in the UK. I mean, how do people feel about the fact that a couple of top club could pretty much destroy 100 years of championship history?

Brad2020

As it stands now I find the UEFA champions league extremely unfair and unbalanced, because the Premier League has become so competitive in comparison to the other leagues. (La Liga being the only possible exception)

To secure top 4 in the Premier League is a lot harder than other leagues, which means teams like Bayern Munich & Paris St Germain, can focus more energy on winning the Champions Cup than say Liverpool or City, or United for that mater.

Reactions: Penna

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
As it stands now I find the UEFA champions league extremely unfair and unbalanced, because the Premier League has become so competitive in comparison to the other leagues. (La Liga being the only possible exception)

To secure top 4 in the Premier League is a lot harder than other leagues, which means teams like Bayern Munich & Paris St Germain, can focus more energy on winning the Champions Cup than say Liverpool or City, or United for that mater.
I don't particularly like this argument.

When we do well it's because "we're the best". When we don't it's because "we're the best so we tire each other out".

Whatever happens "we are the best".

So basically there's no way on earth that any other league can prove that it's better.

SER19

This rubbish idea should face all the opposition possible. Bloody circus

babablue

Would they? When they can't represent their country? When FIFA or some other confederations can discuss with governments and somehow ban every team to even play in their country? Or just put a tax for 75% of their wage.
Maybe I'm in an unpatriotic minority here, but If I was given a choice of playing at the top level and making millions or representing my country, I would choose the former. I also don't think there is any legal justification to tax 75% of any player's wage.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Does anyone here actually support the European super league a closed shop competition?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Their World Cup threat is idle. A World Cup without players from the G14 is a worthless tournament.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The Premier League is becoming the Super League in any case. Teams in the bottom half of the PL can go and buy a star player from all but about 5 teams on the continent for more money than they could refuse. We have £30m strikers floating around at all levels of the tournament. A team like Palace can go and buy the star player from Marseille or Benfica.

The PL is the real power, and with the decline of Real and Barca, that’s even more the case. Bayern are strong but their league is a joke so it matters less.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't particularly like this argument.

When we do well it's because "we're the best". When we don't it's because "we're the best so we tire each other out".

Whatever happens "we are the best".

So basically there's no way on earth that any other league can prove that it's better.
This right here.

When EPL do well its because the standard is so high that others cannot cope

When EPL do badly, its because they have tired each other out and

Leipzig just qualified in a group that had man utd

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

This isn't really the case. It was an argument used by people who didn't watch much football outside of England, but it didn't hold up in reality. The reason that in the last decade the majority of winners came from outside of England wasn't because of some perceived strength of the premier league, it was because generally the strongest team in Europe wasn't an English team. The year Liverpool won they had an argument, the year Chelsea won they were far from the best team.

Brad2020

This isn't really the case. It was an argument used by people who didn't watch much football outside of England, but it didn't hold up in reality. The reason that in the last decade the majority of winners came from outside of England wasn't because of some perceived strength of the premier league, it was because generally the strongest team in Europe wasn't an English team. The year Liverpool won they had an argument, the year Chelsea won they were far from the best team.
I don't agree, though I am talking about more recent developments.

If you look at the Bundesliga, traditionally Bayern Munich completely dominates, even today Leipzig and Dortmund aren't major challenges.

I try to watch Series A, and it's just a slower less competitive league. Inter Milan which is near the top is living partially off of Premier League cast aways to an extent.

....and the French league is pretty much a farm league when you take Paris St Germain out of the picture.

Nowhere is there more money invested in quality players, and the competition stiffer, than in the premier league to make the top four. I would say the the EPL has outstripped La Liga some time ago.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

If you look at the Bundesliga, traditionally Bayern Munich completely dominates, even today Leipzig and Dortmund aren't major challenges.

I try to watch Series A, and it's just a slower less competitive league. Inter Milan which is near the top is living partially off of Premier League cast aways to an extent.

....and the French league is pretty much a farm league when you take Paris St Germain out of the picture.

Nowhere is there more money invested in quality players, and the competition stiffer, than in the premier league to make the top four. I would say the the EPL has outstripped La Liga some time ago.
I admittedly have less of my finger on the button on the other leagues (La Liga aside) than I would have had a few years ago, but speaking in a historical context the pundits would often bring up the competitiveness issue as a reason for why the English clubs struggled in Europe. In my opinion it was clear that they just weren't as good as their strongest continental counterparts, and it was no surprise that when the English teams put some strong teams together they achieved European success (Liverpool 2018/2019).

Bayern Munich do dominate, but I think it would be the same story if they were placed in the premier league. They have a very strong side. Leipzig aren't a major challenger but they did manage to knock out the current English table leaders. Lyon knocked out Manchester City last year, these teams on paper might not be as strong as the English teams they vanquished but they're good sides and should be respected.

Serie A might be slower but afaik it's been pretty competitive these past few seasons, I don't see why the English clubs would suffer from having a competitive league and the Italians wouldn't. I've just had a cursory glance at the Serie A finishes over the last few years and it's been just as if not more competitive than the English table finishes.

There is a lot of money invested in the English league but I think people immediately associate that with quality, a poster mentions having 30m players floating around in the league outside of the top teams, but is having the likes of Joelinton doing his best Danny Graham impression really mean anything when comparing teams? There's a lot of excuses made when English teams struggle in Europe, but the truth is for me is that when the English sides were amongst the best in Europe it was reflected by their European performances (2004-2010 pulled that date out of my ass but it's a rough call) and when the standard of the top sides dropped so did their European results, when the likes of Pep and Klopp came in and raised the levels of the top sides this was again reflected in Europe, where Liverpool went on to win the trophy.

Hope this isn't coming across as me attacking you, I have this debate in a monthly period with my mates who generally view it the same way you do and I enjoy shouting my opinion everywhere.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I admittedly have less of my finger on the button on the other leagues (La Liga aside) than I would have had a few years ago, but speaking in a historical context the pundits would often bring up the competitiveness issue as a reason for why the English clubs struggled in Europe. In my opinion it was clear that they just weren't as good as their strongest continental counterparts, and it was no surprise that when the English teams put some strong teams together they achieved European success (Liverpool 2018/2019).

Bayern Munich do dominate, but I think it would be the same story if they were placed in the premier league. They have a very strong side. Leipzig aren't a major challenger but they did manage to knock out the current English table leaders. Lyon knocked out Manchester City last year, these teams on paper might not be as strong as the English teams they vanquished but they're good sides and should be respected.

Serie A might be slower but afaik it's been pretty competitive these past few seasons, I don't see why the English clubs would suffer from having a competitive league and the Italians wouldn't. I've just had a cursory glance at the Serie A finishes over the last few years and it's been just as if not more competitive than the English table finishes.

There is a lot of money invested in the English league but I think people immediately associate that with quality, a poster mentions having 30m players floating around in the league outside of the top teams, but is having the likes of Joelinton doing his best Danny Graham impression really mean anything when comparing teams? There's a lot of excuses made when English teams struggle in Europe, but the truth is for me is that when the English sides were amongst the best in Europe it was reflected by their European performances (2004-2010 pulled that date out of my ass but it's a rough call) and when the standard of the top sides dropped so did their European results, when the likes of Pep and Klopp came in and raised the levels of the top sides this was again reflected in Europe, where Liverpool went on to win the trophy.

Hope this isn't coming across as me attacking you, I have this debate in a monthly period with my mates who generally view it the same way you do and I enjoy shouting my opinion everywhere.
I don't think so. The reason Bayern dominates is through being the only giant club in Germany, they can take in all the top talent.

It's not possible in the PL these days. Every club has money and asks for ridiculous fees, we can't buy from mid-table like we used to.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I don't think so. The reason Bayern dominates is through being the only giant club in Germany, they can take in all the top talent.

It's not possible in the PL these days. Every club has money and asks for ridiculous fees, we can't buy from mid-table like we used to.
I largely agree with that, I meant just the strength of the team compared to the current top English sides at the moment, rather than a hypothetical scenario where they were placed in the English league.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Speaking about recent developments, didn't all these leagues hand the English clubs their arse in European competition last year?

In the Europa League, Sevilla, the 4th best team in Spain, knocked out Wolves, 7th in the EPL, and Manchester United, 3rd in the EPL. Arsenal went out to a Greek side, while the final was played between teams from Spain and Italy.

Same story in the Champions League. Liverpool, untouchable in England, were defeated by the 3rd best team in Spain, Atletico. Spurs, 6th in England, were turned over easily by the 3rd best team in Germany, Leipzig. From your farmers Ligue Un, 7th place Lyon knocked out Manchester City, 2nd in England.

I take your point about all the extra TV money getting ploughed into the league has strengthened the pulling power of the clubs. And no doubt they will improve in Europe at some point and get back to the levels previously shown. But there's a lot of waste, bloat and inflation in the Premier League where those bigger budgets don't always translate into better teams on the park.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

That's the unfair part?

Try winning your league and having to play three or four qualifiers and travelling away to places that border China while some no mark club with no history and one or two trophies in about fifty years waltzes right into the group stages because they finished fourth in their league.

That's unfair.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes but it should be opposed. It's a crap idea.