Gaming FIFA to end 30 year association with EA Sports

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I don't care what it's called; if they don't move on from FrostShite engine now that they're well and truly in the Next-Gen era, then feck them. At least PES/EFootball are on Unreal 4 and porting their game onto Unreal 5 engine next year.
It's apparently been built on top of a broken engine for years now which limits what they can do. They need to start completely new and hopefully what better time to do it than changing brand names. Absolutely zero faith from me they will do anything even remotely close to that though.

Hoof the ball

It's apparently been built on top of a broken engine for years now which limits what they can do. They need to start completely new and hopefully what better time to do it than changing brand names. Absolutely zero faith from me they will do anything even remotely close to that though.
Yeah, I'm sick to my teeth of seeing players receive the ball whilst side-gliding on ice. In 2023 we should not be seeing players skate. NBA2k games from a decade ago have a better grip on physics than this!

EA are the one company with the capital and the resources to put out the footballing game of your dreams, but flat out refuse to do it because, well, FUT.

hobbers

Yeah, I'm sick to my teeth of seeing players receive the ball whilst side-gliding on ice. In 2023 we should not be seeing players skate. NBA2k games from a decade ago have a better grip on physics than this!

EA are the one company with the capital and the resources to put out the footballing game of your dreams, but flat out refuse to do it because, well, FUT.
Clowns spending money on UT accounts for 1/3 of EA's total revenue. When so many idiots spend so much money on so much crap, you cant really blame EA for behaving as they do.

Bosws87

If you buy FIFA you are part of the problem.

Nothing would make football games better then people boycotting crap products.

Hoof the ball

Clowns spending money on UT accounts for 1/3 of EA's total revenue. When so many idiots spend so much money on so much crap, you cant really blame EA for behaving as they do.
Yeah, you'd be remiss for thinking this is just a FIFA thing, but it's every single EA sporting franchise. You only have to watch the annual Angry Joe Madden review to get the perspective that Madden and NFL put up the same tripe we get with FIFA every year, and, those two other franchises are just as dominated by UT!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They could always release FUT as a separate game or something.

hobbers

They could always release FUT as a separate game or something.
If they did that they wouldnt bother releasing a non-UT game at all. Wouldnt be any financial incentive to make one.

When they include an ultimate team mode in Fifa or Madden it allows them to then put literally no effort and no investment in improving the base game, or even fixing bugs that have persisted for years.

EA have skeleton crews dealing with these mega franchises now. Because they dont need a team of game developers or designers or QA. They just need their marketing team to keep pumping out new ways to con idiots out of their money for the latest UT pack that has zero residual value.

Bosws87

If they did that they wouldnt bother releasing a non-UT game at all. Wouldnt be any financial incentive to make one.

When they include an ultimate team mode in Fifa or Madden it allows them to then put literally no effort and no investment in improving the base game, or even fixing bugs that have persisted for years.

EA have skeleton crews dealing with these mega franchises now. Because they dont need a team of game developers or designers or QA. They just need their marketing team to keep pumping out new ways to con idiots out of their money for the latest UT pack that has zero residual value.
Quicker we treat these silly game modes as a form of gambling by law the better.

hobbers

Quicker we treat these silly game modes as a form of gambling by law the better.
Wouldnt even mind it so much if the lootboxes were purely for cosmetic items like they are in most other games. UT is the only game mode I can think of heavily reliant on lootboxes to actually make the mode playable.

That and the fact that these UT ***** then pay £60 a year for the privilege of losing all their purchased content. As a marketing scam it's so perfectly exploitative of stupid people you can only admire it.

SuperiorXI

I don't know why they haven't done this but imagine an MMO but you are a football player? You get XP for doing training etc and can compete in matches/sign for clubs etc. Seems perfect for the MMO genre and probably a real money spinner which EA should be all over.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I don't know why they haven't done this but imagine an MMO but you are a football player? You get XP for doing training etc and can compete in matches/sign for clubs etc. Seems perfect for the MMO genre and probably a real money spinner which EA should be all over.
Why bother when you can just make kids gamble for virtual cards that disappear after a few years

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
they tried it a couple of years ago but i ended up greenwooding it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Why bother when you can just make kids gamble for virtual cards that disappear after a few years
Pretty much this. Their career mode has barely changed in ten years, to the point where they haven't even fixed the original bugs. But you don't play FIFA for the gameplay, it's all about the virtual Panini sticker book that you can buy.

dove

There was a game exactly like that called Football Superstars. It obviously didn't have anywhere near the budget that FIFA games have but I personally enjoyed it, I felt it had a lot of potential but was desperately lacking marketing budget to attract more people which wouldn't be a problem for EA.

hobbers

Every September*

The new logo and name represents 100% of the new stuff they will ever do with the franchise.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Every September*

The new logo and name represents 100% of the new stuff they will ever do with the franchise.
Don't forget the new Adaptive Crowd Response™ and Motion Flow Moving Flowing Movement AI™.

Wing Attack Plan R

2K would be nice just to get a player career mode with a little bit of depth, although it's been a while since I've played a 2k sports game so maybe they don't do this anymore.
I want the player career mode to be like the Nike first-person ad from years ago. Training, vomiting, sports cars, parties, girls in bikinis, losing teeth, etc.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
The problem with 2k is, while the actual game and modes are better, they are still all linked by a virtual currency. It's gotten to the point now where you can't play as a great young player unless you pay them real money. You have to grind forever. Literally cannot play the game how you want to.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
The problem with 2k is, while the actual game and modes are better, they are still all linked by a virtual currency. It's gotten to the point now where you can't play as a great young player unless you pay them real money. You have to grind forever. Literally cannot play the game how you want to.
No, grinding doesn’t even work, the fecking archetype in 2K is the worst shit ever. Your players are limited by the archetype you choose and you can’t create a player you truly want.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Given how Ai is advancing wouldnt it be great if they could produce a footy game where you can design and create your own training sessions to produce the tactics and styles of play you want to? The training games in the current and previous games have been so hopelessly devoid of realistic training its ben a sad joke.

MiceOnMeth

Blows my mind grown men look forward to spending hundreds of euro on virtual stickers which they will abandon every September and do it all again. EA must have danced for weeks when they realized the cash cow they had on their hands with ultimate team

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Blows my mind grown men look forward to spending hundreds of euro on virtual stickers which they will abandon every September and do it all again. EA must have danced for weeks when they realized the cash cow they had on their hands with ultimate team
Check out the FIFA thread. There's barely anyone discussing what it's like to play the game itself - just folk chatting about what players they got in their packs. It's genuinely maddening.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Can see multiple clubs partnering with them but obviously not us. Shame because we’ll have crap likenesses and poor ratings again.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Can see multiple clubs partnering with them but obviously not us. Shame because we’ll have crap likenesses and poor ratings again.
I look forward to Veg Veghorse, Mark Rushmond, Jason Sanchez, Brumo Penandez, Davis Di Jea, Andrew and many more

redcucumber

Check out the FIFA thread. There's barely anyone discussing what it's like to play the game itself - just folk chatting about what players they got in their packs. It's genuinely maddening.
There's not much to discuss about the game itself is there? It's basically the same crap every season, and I say that as someone that buys em every time. Online seasons is fun until you get stuck in a loop playing against PSG 95% of the time. That sucks ass.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
There's not much to discuss about the game itself is there? It's basically the same crap every season, and I say that as someone that buys em every time. Online seasons is fun until you get stuck in a loop playing against PSG 95% of the time. That sucks ass.
That's fair enough :lol:

Man, how Pro Evo managed to mess itself up so much and give EA an open shot on goal (depending on whether or not the game bugs out) I'll never know.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Don't forget the new Adaptive Crowd Response™
I played one game on Fifa 22 the other week and apart from the whole package being incredibly lacklustre at best, the atmosphere from the crowd was absolutely turd. Something I thought they could've nailed by now. It's a game for Christ sake, how hard can it be to make some exciting noises react to the occasion and what's happening?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I havent played online for a few years now. I used to pick 2 star teams to play online and would come up against the glory teams most of the time. I would lose the majority of the time but got a lot of satisfaction from beating 5 star teams from time to time. 99% of people wouldnt change to an equal level team as me which was fair enough but funny to watch over time. Then EA stopped me having that option to play as a lesser team against a much better team. Dont know if thats back again though.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I played one game on Fifa 22 the other week and apart from the whole package being incredibly lacklustre at best, the atmosphere from the crowd was absolutely turd. Something I thought they could've nailed by now. It's a game for Christ sake, how hard can it be to make some exciting noises react to the occasion and what's happening?
An adaptive crowd would add so much more immersion. The stadium absolutely rocking after a late winner against your rival. Disgruntled jeers of frustration when your striker blasts the ball wide in the 85 minute at 0-0.

It would likely be an easy add but EA are just lazy.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
This year was the final straw for me. You grind games with an overall of 65 only to realise that no matter what you do, it’ll take at least two seasons to get to 90. And the advertising was always horrible. But this year it’s truly shameless. The fashion walks and shit like this you have to do in company clothing are a capitalist nightmare.
The game itself is fun. The physics are great and enjoyable. But everything around it is pure and utter bullshit.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
That's the issue. EA don't want FIFA to be a game, they want it to be an e-sport now. It's core design is for people who want to 'compete' online with occasional modes like Volta.

Bosws87

Deserve everything you sow if you continued buying FIFA year in year out.