"Finishing 2nd with this team a great achievement"

Nikelesh Reddy

Do you guys now agree with what Jose said earlier this season? The theory back then was that Jose was holding the players back by stifling their creativity and flair. Well, we have now lost 7 out of the last 9 and our performances are beginning to mirror those that we saw earlier in the season.

So is Ole stifling the creativity and flair out of this team? Is Ole asking them to be negative?Has Ole created a poisonous atmosphere around the training ground? If the answer is no, then why are we looking so hopeless right now? After all, Jose was the cancer that was plaguing the team. Now that the Cancers been removed, we should have been flying....

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Do you guys now agree with what Jose said earlier this season?The theory back then was that Jose was holding the players back by stifling their creativity and flair.Well,we have now lost 7 out of the last 9 and our performances are beginning to mirror those that we saw earlier in the season.

So is Ole stifling the creativity and flair out of this team?Is Ole asking them to be negative?Has Ole created a poisonous atmosphere around the training ground?If the answer is no,then why are we looking so hopeless right now?After all,Jose was the cancer that was plaguing the team....now that the Cancers been removed,we should have been flying....
And yet he still managed to make it toxic.

If this is supposed to be a vindication of what he said, it's bullshit. He's gone, fecking deal with it

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Its certainly looking that way, dont get me wrong I think 99% of us hated Mourinho in the end, some at the start, but I knew all along that these players were a major part of the problem, they got it up for a few months to stick it to Jose but they cant sustain it because performing out of spite will never last.

EwanI Ted

Do you guys now agree with what Jose said earlier this season?The theory back then was that Jose was holding the players back by stifling their creativity and flair.Well,we have now lost 7 out of the last 9 and our performances are beginning to mirror those that we saw earlier in the season.

So is Ole stifling the creativity and flair out of this team?Is Ole asking them to be negative?Has Ole created a poisonous atmosphere around the training ground?If the answer is no,then why are we looking so hopeless right now?After all,Jose was the cancer that was plaguing the team....now that the Cancers been removed,we should have been flying....
Jose assembled & led that team for years. Ole is just trying to clear up Jose's mess.

Devil may care

No, feck Mourinho, sick of seeing people trying to retcon his failrure here, his attitude was worse than any of the players and the type of players he wanted to bring in were all wrong for United, the 2nd place finish was irrelevant as City were nearly 20 points ahead and we just edged a cluster below them.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
No, Ole isn't. But Jose assembled that team then pissed them all off. As always, it's not just one aspect that's contributed. It's on Jose and the players, and LVG and Moyes killing the atmosphere around our club.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Ole is stuck with the shit he left behind.

feck Jose.

Ban

Do you guys now agree with what Jose said earlier this season? The theory back then was that Jose was holding the players back by stifling their creativity and flair. Well, we have now lost 7 out of the last 9 and our performances are beginning to mirror those that we saw earlier in the season.

So is Ole stifling the creativity and flair out of this team? Is Ole asking them to be negative?Has Ole created a poisonous atmosphere around the training ground? If the answer is no, then why are we looking so hopeless right now? After all, Jose was the cancer that was plaguing the team. Now that the Cancers been removed, we should have been flying....
Finishing 2nd with this team was an achievement. But this year he made a mess out of everything and had to go.
So in any case players are a big problem so he was right in that regard. But then again he did buy a lot of players.

Tarrou

It was his team and he spent plenty of money getting that team.

feck him, he failed.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Do you guys now agree with what Jose said earlier this season?
No. I dont. It was not a great achievement. It was luck. Luck and a great goalkeeper in great form.

Furthermore, after all that spending he did, it should not have been. We should be more than good enough for top 2. But he fecked up. He spent our budget on Bailly, Matic and Lukaku. He wasted our energy on Perisic and Willian.

He did not do anything to prevent us from buying Sanchez or Pogba, but failed to get anything from them.

Meaning I would agree if he said:

"I was so lucky to finish 2nd after fecking up so badly in the transfermarket."

Ban

No. I dont. It was not a great achievement. It was luck. Luck and a great goalkeeper in great form.

Furthermore, after all that spending he did, it should not have been. We should be more than good enough for top 2. But he fecked up. He spent our budget on Bailly, Matic and Lukaku. He did not do anything to prevent us from buying Sanchez or Pogba, but failed to get anything from them. Meaning I would agree if he said:

"I was so lucky to finish 2nd after fecking up so badly in the transfermarket."
You don't finish 2nd just by luck. Not doing anything to prevent us from buying Pogba? What the..?

Tarrou

You don't finish 2nd just by luck. Not doing anything to prevent us from buying Pogba? What the..?
Luck can easily be the difference between 2nd and 4th though. We weren't much better or worse than the next few teams in the league, IMO.

SteveW

It was a lesser achievement last season when only City played well.

beedoubleyou

No.

No.

No.

Stop this stupid revisionism.

He spent the same as Klopp and left us languishing without a hope of Champions League football.

"Finishing 2nd with this team a great achievement" - Pathetic in comparison to what Klopp has achieved.

He is as much to blame for where we are as the board who enabled him and the fans who found excuses for him.

Despite Mourinho, we're three points from fourth with three to go.

Excuse me if I'm not behind the petition to get Mourinho knighted for services to second place.

Why are you blaming Ole? Give him a fecking realistic chance and maybe talk about our record away wins, not just the recent losses.

Art

Art the artist
Jose was not right for this club but that doesn't negate everything he said during his time here.

Rolaholic

The Mourinho revisionism larely has been pitiful

Finishing 2nd,20 points back of the champions,in a year where every top squad was markedly worse is no more an achievement than the likes of Arsenal finishing 2nd and double digit points behind Leicester.

The fact that Jose brags about it now as some sort of achievement shows how far he's fallen from being a champion manager.

How so many are taking the current results from a squad he built,as reason to prop him and his failed tenure up is rich given he was a key contributor to the state of things and the reason we could go on a wonderful run for 3 months and still miss out on the top 4 due to his disastrous early season self sabotage/downing of the tools.

Couldn't care less what a bitter, self serving cnut like him thinks or says about the club, we can come to our own conclusions independantly without taking his words as gospel

Paul_Scholes18

He didn't develop us as a team well. Big part in why our fitness has been so poor. Also been really poor in the market.

Most of our problems now are caused by Mourinho. His results were fairly good before this season, but he did weaken our team in the long run by his mangement.

NinjaFletch

Yes, of course he was.

He was also responsible for why the squad was shit in the first place.

lsd

The Oracle
Mourinho was a total cancer at Utd . His football was rubbish he treated the club like dirt .and we would have finished 12th at best with him tis season.

The amount of people still supporting him is shocking

Moonred

Another apologist who hasn't learnt how to compare, hurt by their hero being proven a failure. It was his team and he did relatively okay that season, then disaster followed. Comparing results of both the managers at this point is nonsensical.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
Finishing second with this sh*t team, that I assembled, is a massive achievement.

Wait until next year when I've signed Fred, then finishing second will be an even bigger achievement.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Well, if you agree that the club should spend £80 mill on a player you should know how to use him.

And of course, luck dont take you from 10th to 2nd. But can luck (and a good goalkeeper) take you from 4th to 2nd?! Obviously. It probably did. Because we were not good last year.

Roboc7

The Jose revisionism is stupid and pointless, he finished 6th, 2nd and if we being extremely kind to him would have finished 6th this season but probably lower. He was taking the team in completely the wrong direction and his behaviour was an embarrassment.

Call it an achievement if you like but for me it was a fluke, his true level was 6th and given how easy that is I didn’t see anything to praise him for. You can be a pretty poor side and still finish 4th-6th, we still even have a chance of top 4 this season.

Have people forgotten where we were when he left?. If Jose was in charge we’d be battling Wolves, Watford, Leicester and Everton to finish in top half.

Last edited:

freeurmind

weak willed
I remember Jose's rant about football heritage after the Seville defeat. Seems like he was talking facts.

Sterling Archer

Mourinho was a total cancer at Utd . His football was rubbish he treated the club like dirt .and we would have finished 12th at best with him tis season.

The amount of people still supporting him is shocking
Aren't we trying to cut out this kind of language in here? I think you could rephrase any number of ways and get the point across

beedoubleyou

Aren't we trying to cut out this kind of language in here? I think you could rephrase any number of ways and get the point across
Saying someone is a cancer is just not offensive. Not in anyway. I say that as someone who is remembering their Mother who died of cancer 10-years ago this very day.

Last edited:

He'sRaldo

Do you guys now agree with what Jose said earlier this season?
The lineup has changed a lot since the start of last season. A lot of players have gotten too old, not mobile enough, and some have straight up gone (and been replaced by worse players). And besides, Mourinho basically bought a first 11. So no, I still don't agree with him.

Last edited:

Imran Mamdani

why do we need this thread for again?
I mean, can we all just feck whatever happened in the past and stop delving soo much into it.. let's move on ffs!
no wonder there's so much negativity around here... jeez.

Greck

When he gets a new club Redcafe can have a partnership with their leading forum to sell them several posters

GazTheLegend

No.

Mourinho bought pretty much our entire first 11. If they weren’t good enough then that’s his responsibility.

He was lucky to finish second though, that much is true.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Jose' Signings:

Paul Pogba - 105,00 Mill. €
Henrikh Mkhitaryan - 42,00 Mill. €
Eric Bailly - 38,00 Mill. €
Zlatan Ibrahimovic - Free Transfer
Romelu Lukaku - 84,70 Mill. €
Nemanja Matic - 44,70 Mill. €
Victor Lindelöf - 35,00 Mill. €
Alexis Sánchez - Free Transfer
Fred - 59,00 Mill. €
Diogo Dalot - 22,00 Mill. €
Lee Grant - 1,70 Mill. €

At this point in time, you can look through that list and shudder. 430million spent for fecks sake.

Ekeke

No, when he did we had a good defense which he destabilized with those kinds of comments in the summer.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I am not quite sure what "Jose Mourinho" has ever done for our club, for him to have had such adulation/loyalists/or staunch supporters within our fanbase. I mean, he's done more for clubs like Chelsea, Porto and Inter - there I could understand the forms of support/adulation.

He won us 2 trophies, albeit not exactly the greatest triumphs. He finished second. Kudos to those, but he also tried to basically absolve him from all responsibility and everything became toxic thereafter, and he was rightfully sacked.

The majority always agreed that "Jose wasn't the only issue" (structure/DoF/Ed have been mentioned on these boards for years now), but he sure as hell was one of the issues. Good riddance.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Jose' Signings:

Paul Pogba - 105,00 Mill. €
Henrikh Mkhitaryan - 42,00 Mill. €
Eric Bailly - 38,00 Mill. €
Zlatan Ibrahimovic - Free Transfer
Romelu Lukaku - 84,70 Mill. €
Nemanja Matic - 44,70 Mill. €
Victor Lindelöf - 35,00 Mill. €
Alexis Sánchez - Free Transfer
Fred - 59,00 Mill. €
Diogo Dalot - 22,00 Mill. €
Lee Grant - 1,70 Mill. €

At this point in time, you can look through that list and shudder. 430million spent for fecks sake.
Yet I love the "Jose wasn't backed" narrative. Yet in his first and the beginning of his second years, when signings like Pogba, Bailly, Ibra, Matic, Lukaku etc. seemed to have been "successful" - all we were told was how well he spent and how strong the spine of the team is. And I agreed at the time.

Then it all went to shit, and all of a sudden Jose barely had any say in those signings, it was all Ed, he didn't get his first choice signings, blah blah blah.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He spent huge on Lukaku & Matic and others deadwood. He has to take the blame for the players he signed in the last three summer windows.