First Choice XI now

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I thought a forum is where you get people with diverse opinions and share their opinions.

In this case, we are having a hypothetical conversation on what the first 11 should be. There will be various people having different opinions on the starting 11. Some will be more controversial than others. For example, I don't rate Harry Maguire, hence I have restructured the formation to cater for 3 central defenders.

I have no issue with him personally. Sure he's a lovely fella (I'd gladly by him a drink if I bump into him in Mykonos). But on the pitch, he's been the worst defender I've seen in many years. That's my opinion. So deal with it!
Unfortunately facts don't back up your opinion. Bailly and Lindeloff can battle it out with each other to see who is better, but don't let this early season fool you, Maguire is among the elite defenders in the game today (seems like nobody can defend so far this year. Not even VVD). Don't believe me? Let the stats do the talking for him when I compare Maguire, Lindeloff and VVD. You will quickly realize that no matter how big your agenda is against Maguire, or how many times Mark Goldbridge has told you he isn't any good, he is much closer to VVD than he is to Lindeloff

------------------Tckl----Blk---Int--Clr---HdClr----Rec---DW---DL---50/50---ABW---ABL
Maguire-------37------6-----72---157---94-------237--240--128---8---------176-----71
Virgil VD-----23------5------40--162----83------220----239--81----3---------191------60
Lindeloff----29------1------26---122---58------215----135--78----4----------96-------50

Legend: Tckl=Tackles, Blk=Blocks, Int=Interceptions, Clr=Clearances, HdClr=Headed Clearances, Rec=Recoveries, DW=Duals Won, DL=Duals Lost, ABW=Arial Battles Won, ABL=Arial Battles Lost

https://www.premierleague.com/players/9566/Harry-Maguire/stats?co=1&se=274
https://www.premierleague.com/players/5140/Virgil-van-Dijk/stats?co=1&se=274
https://www.premierleague.com/players/5066/Victor-Lindelöf/stats?co=1&se=274

wolvored

Telles for Shaw, everything else the same. We needed a new CB, DM & RW & we got none.

I would like to see

DDG, AWB, Bailly, Lindelof, Telles, Fred, Bruno, Pogba, Mata, Rashford, Martial, with Pogba & Bruno playing as 8’s. Ole is very rigid with his use of 2 DMs though.
What about Pellistri? Isnt he a RW and going to be put straight into the squad?

wolvored

—————Henderson
——Lindelof Maguire Shaw
AWB—-———————-----—Telles
——————Matic
VDB--------Bruno--------Rashford/James
----Greenwood/Rashford
I think after shipping in 11 goals in 3 games, and it could have been a lot more, Ole will bring back the 3 CD that he tried last season. Telles will come in as lwb and awb will be asked to play further up as well. I can see VDB starting instead of Pogba and will play a drifting RM, similar to Mata. James will probably start on the left if Rashford starts upfront and Greenwood will be on the bench. 50% of our attacking will come from the left again 40% through the middle. Cavani is the wild card. He hasnt played for 7 months I read, so maybe will have 10 mins off the bench and maybe after a month start playing as the striker in some games. If he comes good will expect him to overtake Martial as main striker this season.

the chameleon

Unfortunately facts don't back up your opinion. Bailly and Lindeloff can battle it out with each other to see who is better, but don't let this early season fool you, Maguire is among the elite defenders in the game today (seems like nobody can defend so far this year. Not even VVD). Don't believe me? Let the stats do the talking for him when I compare Maguire, Lindeloff and VVD. You will quickly realize that no matter how big your agenda is against Maguire, or how many times Mark Goldbridge has told you he isn't any good, he is much closer to VVD than he is to Lindeloff

------------------Tckl----Blk---Int--Clr---HdClr----Rec---DW---DL---50/50---ABW---ABL
Maguire-------37------6-----72---157---94-------237--240--128---8---------176-----71
Virgil VD-----23------5------40--162----83------220----239--81----3---------191------60
Lindeloff----29------1------26---122---58------215----135--78----4----------96-------50

Legend: Tckl=Tackles, Blk=Blocks, Int=Interceptions, Clr=Clearances, HdClr=Headed Clearances, Rec=Recoveries, DW=Duals Won, DL=Duals Lost, ABW=Arial Battles Won, ABL=Arial Battles Lost

https://www.premierleague.com/players/9566/Harry-Maguire/stats?co=1&se=274
https://www.premierleague.com/players/5140/Virgil-van-Dijk/stats?co=1&se=274
https://www.premierleague.com/players/5066/Victor-Lindelöf/stats?co=1&se=274
I'm just stating my opinion having watched Maguire many times and seeing his form deteriorate. I don't care if facts back up my opinion. I'll let supposed "football experts" like you Google the stats so you can look smart on a forum. SadlerMUFC - Football Genius!

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I'm just stating my opinion having watched Maguire many times and seeing his form deteriorate. I don't care if facts back up my opinion. I'll let supposed "football experts" like you Google the stats so you can look smart on a forum. SadlerMUFC - Football Genius!
I'm definitely smarter than your average bear :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm also just sick of this agenda against Maguire. I'm so glad that our supporters don't actually run the team. You don't improve a team by getting rid of your best players. You can state your opinion all you want, but your opinion is 100% wrong. Maguire is in fact our best defender. Too many people let his price tag effect their emotions. Never mind how much he cost. Compare him to his peers. And don't look at this year. This year everyone is horrible. At this rate you and I can start the next game in place of all 3 of them. But if you compare the 3 from last year and you still honestly think that Lindeloff and Bailly are better than him, then perhaps football just isn't for you...

eltigreFalcao

I'm definitely smarter than your average bear :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm also just sick of this agenda against Maguire. I'm so glad that our supporters don't actually run the team. You don't improve a team by getting rid of your best players. You can state your opinion all you want, but your opinion is 100% wrong. Maguire is in fact our best defender. Too many people let his price tag effect their emotions. Never mind how much he cost. Compare him to his peers. And don't look at this year. This year everyone is horrible. At this rate you and I can start the next game in place of all 3 of them. But if you compare the 3 from last year and you still honestly think that Lindeloff and Bailly are better than him, then perhaps football just isn't for you...
You simply are not that smart if you're calling someone else's opinion "100% wrong". It also takes a little bit of perception to get around that one. Seems to me that you have used a lot more time looking up for stats tan actually watching our games. I've seen Maguire make one mistake, one stupid desition, one poor move after another, each game. No way a footballer that plays like Maguire plays should be considered a top Elite performer.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
You simply are not that smart if you're calling someone else's opinion "100% wrong". It also takes a little bit of perception to get around that one. Seems to me that you have used a lot more time looking up for stats tan actually watching our games. I've seen Maguire make one mistake, one stupid desition, one poor move after another, each game. No way a footballer that plays like Maguire plays should be considered a top Elite performer.
When an opinion is based on agendas, it is not an opinion and it is 100% wrong...

the chameleon

When an opinion is based on agendas, it is not an opinion and it is 100% wrong...
According to you, everyone has an agenda against Maguire and gets their opinion from Goldbridge. You come across very presumptuous for a self-proclaimed ‘smart person’.

You should really watch games, rather than nitpick facts from the internet. Harry Maguire has been a massive liability and the only thing keeping him in the starting 11 is his £80 million.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
According to you, everyone has an agenda against Maguire and gets their opinion from Goldbridge. You come across very presumptuous for a self-proclaimed ‘smart person’.

You should really watch games, rather than nitpick facts from the internet. Harry Maguire has been a massive liability and the only thing keeping him in the starting 11 is his £80 million.
And there it is....the 80m quote. So what are these games you are talking about? If you're talking about this year, then forget it. Nobody is looking good. Like I said, you and I could hold down the back better than they could so far this year. Nobody is on form. So we have to look at last year. If you seriously think that last year Maguire wasn't head and shoulders above everyone else, and then still want to claim you don't have an agenda against him, then I just may be convinced that you may be Mark Goldbridge in disguise...

m1tch

.........Henderson
AWB Bailey Maguire Telles
..............Matic
........VDB ...... Pogba
.............Bruno
......Rashford Martial

Pogba can't play alongside Matic anymore, it's pointless - he's just not good enough to play that role. Maybe in this position he could offer something.
Clearly most of our play would be through the middle with potential for width on the left from Telles/Martial.
No wide options on the right for obvious reasons.

manuchamp88

Why can't I attach/embem a link from footballuser? Anyway, here's my team:

---------------------Henderson-------------------
Wan-Bissaka-Tuanzebe-Mengi-Telles
---------------------McTominay------------------
-------Van de Beek----Fernandes----------
Greenwood-----Cavani----Rashford-----

Greenwood should be 1st choice backup CF; he is clearly a striker and I just think he's a far better player than Martial. But he has to start back on the right again since Pellistri is unproven. Central defence is an utter mess so time to give young talent a chance especially now Tuanzebe is fit. Telles is an obvious choice at LB, same for Cavani at CF while Martial is out. All in all, this lineup highlights our glaring weaknesses, namely: CDs, CDM, and possibly RWF (let's see how Pellistri/Amad do). I would even change captain: Mata as club captain (he's well-respected by the whole squad and is a more experienced player), and I would make Fernandes or even Cavani vice-captain (1st team captain if you want to call it that since they will be playing more than Mata, most likely).

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
2 things:

1. Dan James should not be in the starting lineup
2. I would prefer a goalkeeper, but maybe this tactic might work out better for saving penalties.
:lol: i forgot about Gk. There's not much on tactic the Gk is positioned anyway.

As bad as James is, I think he's better there than AWB.

UpWithRivers

I was thinking today we should do things differently. Why play a weaker team against the bottom sides. We should go all out and try to get max points from bottom 11 sides. Thats 66 points. Lets say manage 56 points.

In these games we play our normal full strength team. They should be capable on form of maximum points home and away.
---------------------------De Gea---------------
WB--------Lindelof----Maguire----Shaw
--------------------Pogba----Matic------
Greenwood-----Fernandes-----Rashford/Martial
-----------------------Cavani/Martial-----------------

Then the top 8 teams Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Leicester, Wolves, Tottenham, Everton we play our counterattacking team - 5-3-2
This is the team that got results against the top sides last season. Fast/direct counterattacking football. Yes its boring. Yes it drops Pogba and Fernandes. But it should be capable of half the points available thats 24 points. Plus the bottom club points of 56 and thats a total of 80 points. That should get us top 4 and improvement of 14 points on last season.

-----------------------------------------De Gea---------------
------------------------Lindelof----Maguire----Shaw-----
WB/Williams------Fred/Mctominay-------Matic------------Telles
---------------------------Martial-----------Rashford/James

Of course football doesnt work like this and we might get less from bottom teams but then we should get more from the top. And yes dropping top players Fernandes/Pogba sounds crazy but its about system and maximizing points. Its not to say we cant change it around. Southampton away might be time for counterattacking football. Arsenal at home we might go for the 4-3-3 win etc. All Im saying s that we play to win and forget about pleasing the players. Drop Pogba or Fernandes when needed. Play boring when needed. Start the game tight against top teams. See how it goes for the first half then bring on Pogba or Fernandes if things are going well.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Solskjaer isn't brave enough to bench De Gea, Shaw, Pogba and Rashford.
Hungry replacements Henderson, Telles, Van Beek and Cavani will not get in for the first few games which will sap the hunger from them, they will lose the will to live and suddenly become shit signings for not being on the pace.
This is the way we seem to run.

Bwuk

De Gea
AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Telles
McTominay
VdB - Pogba
Bruno - Martial - Rashford​

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Solskjaer isn't brave enough to bench De Gea, Shaw, Pogba and Rashford.
Hungry replacements Henderson, Telles, Van Beek and Cavani will not get in for the first few games which will sap the hunger from them, they will lose the will to live and suddenly become shit signings for not being on the pace.
This is the way we seem to run.
I think Ole will surprise a few this year how ruthless he can be, moreso if the form doesn't pick up, and it comes on top.

Jibbs

My starting XI will be

.............Henderson............

.....AWB Lindelof Maguire Telles....

.............Bruno...Fred...VdB...........

Greenwod........Cavani.......Martial

4-3-3 formation

gregor

De Gea
AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Telles
DVB - Fred- Pogba
Bruno - Cavani - Rashford

I really like this lineup. And we still have good attacking options on the bench if things don't go to plan.

Stig

Axel Tuanzebe - is now the time to give him a chance?

Bailly has shown himself to be an oaf.
Lindelof doesn't have the stature for a centre back.

The manger doesn't seem to want to play another CB option.

Is he our last and best choice ?

Why are we keeping Odion Ighalo ? Unless we play Hartlepool in the cup when is he getting a game ?
Why do we have 5 goal-keepers ? Lee Grant is on 500K a year !
Do all teams have squads full of players who are never going to actually, you know, like, literally, play ?

Stig

I see so many teams here with Fred in it - I would pick him as well. I don't think Ole will.

HowYouDoin

Should be...
If we go 4-3-3

Henderson
AWB Maguire Baily Telles
DVB Fred Bruno
Greenwood Cavani Rashford

If we go 3-5-2

Henderson
Baily Maguire Shaw
AWB DVB Fred Bruno Telles
Cavani Rashford

Now I prefer Cavani over Martial but I get if most wanna have Martial instead being that Cavani still hasnt played for us but once he does it will be evident that he is easily a better player IMO

Stretender

My team has no De Gea, no Pogba. Cavani in as a 9, Martial or Rashford for left wing, Greenwood right wing.

Van De Beek, Fred and Matic in midfield.

Mengi plays in central defence for me with one of Maguire or Lindelof. Telles straight in as Left back and Wan Bissaka on the right.

Henderson starts ahead of De Gea.

Facundo Pellistri to come on at 70 minute mark for Greenwood.

Houdini

Telles for Shaw, everything else the same. We needed a new CB, DM & RW & we got none.

I would like to see

DDG, AWB, Bailly, Lindelof, Telles, Fred, Bruno, Pogba, Mata, Rashford, Martial, with Pogba & Bruno playing as 8’s. Ole is very rigid with his use of 2 DMs though.
Because our CBs are shite and he knows it. Maguire - slow, Matic - good but slow

Sea-Cow

Tuanzebe is fit now.
Thats great and I am pleased for him. But is he, ya know, a premier league center back? Has he ever shown it? I think his best run of his form was when he was an occasional starter for Villa in the Championship, right?

But people want him to come in and start for us. And some even want him to come in and start in partnership with an 18 year old who doesn't even have a run in the Championship on his CV.

I don't say it often, but I think it fits in this thread.... Laugh Out Loud

Sea-Cow

Cavani starts for me. Rashford and Martial can fight for left spot. Greenwood on the right.

If anyone needed reminding that we need a number 9, this proves it. Next year sign Haaland. Then we can have Martial, Haaland and Cavani in the final year of Cavani here. Good options.
I think that ship has sailed mate. Imagine the look on the Dortmund brass' faces as they see ol Ed approaching. They will piss themselves laughing.

Web of Bissaka

The Mou FB system - one FB defensive, another FB more attacking

De Gea
Bissaka -- Maguire -- Shaw -- Telles
McT -- Fred
Greenwood -- Bruno -- Rashford
Martial​

Accept it, we're not going to change the formation.

With our defensive shambles and Telles playing who may be suspect defensively, we had to always play either two of McT, Fred and Matic (preferably McT and Fred for their energy and greater defensive solidity). Pogba at RW or LW isn't really a bad choice in this system. Bissaka need to be told to focus more on defending and help Mag.

Our CB choices are a joke, so why not try Shaw at CB... I mean looking at other choices; questionable Bailly, invisible soft Lindelof, injuries lover Jonezebe, outcasted Rojo... whenever Telles moving up basically becoming a LM, Shaw slot in to be the LB when we're attacking.

Sea-Cow

Our best performance in the last year or so, meaning we actually played well and not just that we bungled over a decent result, was at home against City. Our lineup that day was

DDG
AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw - Williams
Matic - Fred
Bruno
James - Martial

We defended well, kept possession decently (not great) against a strong pressing team, and were able to create decent chances. The lads also collectively ran their balls off. It was awesome.

Updating that to now, and I think our best hope is to go with something similar, but a few minor changes.

DDG
AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw - Telles
Matic - Fred
VdB
Rashford - Bruno

I am personally tired of Lindelof and get angry at his defending, but against Spurs Bailey looked like he had never played with Maguire before, or had never been coached in his life. If fit and after a run of games with the reserves maybe, I would want Big Phil Jones to play that spot instead of Lindelof, but alas I think that ship has sailed. So, embarrassingly, I think Victor and Harry are still our best choice.

Is Rojo still on the team? Maybe him instead of Luke, if we're feeling reckless and want to roll the dice on eventually playing with 10 men.

Pogba should not be involved until he gets fit. He's looked slow and disinterested since the restart.

Martial should use his suspension to also get fit. or to get motivated. Or something. Against Spurs he looked like he was running in sand. He wasn't exactly tearing up trees in the previous games also, what with our zero shots on goal. And I am still mad about him drawing the foul intentionally, instead of actually trying to score a goal.

After a few weeks and matches to get fit I would also want to start Cavani in place of Rashford. Nothing is coming off for him now and I don't know, maybe he needs a rest or to be better managed with his minutes.

tomaldinho1

Bearing in mind how we play, I'd go for the following:

-------------------------------Hendo--------------------------
AWB--------- Bailly --------- Maguire -------- Telles
--------------------------------------------------------------------
------------ VdB------- Fernandes ---- Fred-----------
Greenwood ---------------------------------- Rashford
----------------------------- Martial ---------------------------

Henderson has to start if we're playing a high line, it's such a weakness when you have DDG and slow CBs. It's crucial to drop Pogba in our system and have enough energy in the midfield three, without one to sit as DM (because we don't have a specialist and all three of VbD, Bruno and Fred are good enough defensively/pressing. Ole has chatted a lot about attacking football and then always used a stifling double pivot, about time he threw some caution to the wind and played to our strengths, which is making the game open up and frantic.