Five emerging MUFC players either on fringes of the first-team or set for a breakthrough campaign.

Coxy

Thanks for the link mate - any way of reading it without being a subscriber?

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Where does Mengi fit with Tuanzebe? Is it not more likely Axel gets game time next season (it would be well deserved imo) and Mengi given a Championship loan?

freeurmind

weak willed
Can we see him play in a United shirt for a couple of games before we start loaning players out?
If he couldn't get game time when Matic and Pogba were out, what hope does he have now? He'll be 20 next season, he needs game time.

crossy1686

career ending
If he couldn't get game time when Matic and Pogba were out, what hope does he have now? He'll be 20 next season, he needs game time.
So why not give it him at United? He’s been injured for a good part of the season, and you don’t throw youth players into a team that’s in crisis, that’s hardly fair on them. Setting them up for failure.

freeurmind

weak willed
So why not give it him at United? He’s been injured for a good part of the season, and you don’t throw youth players into a team that’s in crisis, that’s hardly fair on them. Setting them up for failure.
But when would he play? Apart from EFL Cup maybe? Does he even make our bench when everyone's fit? He's too good for Division 2 Reserve football.

Alemar

A whole host of United players came out last month and said Garner is the best midfielder in the academy but I think Hannibal is the age group below him?
Hannibal is 17. But world’s biggest talents often start senior careers at around that age.

Certainly he is young, but we have Lingard, Pereira and Mata getting minutes now, better use those minutes more wisely

prateik

If we can secure CL football before the league season ends, would love to see them get a run out.

And they should definitely get a game against LASK... unless they go out on loan to another club by then.

Castia

Youre talking like a loan is a bad thing? Competitive games is what he needs at his age a loan would be great for him, honestly no point him staying here getting 5-6 games next season if he’s lucky.

Irrational.

I'm surprised Anthony Elanga isn't in the list. Been impressed every time I watch him play. Has some playing similarities to Martial.

Mcking

Why do we need to loan him out if he can cover Matic? A loan won't prove anything apart from he's good enough to play in the Championship for someone like Derby.
He isn't going to get a game if he stays. We should be able to get him a decent team.

Utdstar01

I'm surprised Anthony Elanga isn't in the list. Been impressed every time I watch him play. Has some playing similarities to Martial.
If he takes U23s by storm next year, we could see him getting minutes at some point. Who knows.

izec

Knowing our luck with loans, he'll end up at club with a feckstick like Glenn Roeder as manager. I still haven't forgiven him for taking Rossi on loan and then wasting him.
We need to choose better then. If the player is talented and the club/manager wants him badly, there are no issues. Better than keeping him here and training with the seniors for years and playing u23 level, while stagnating. He will get thrown at some point into the mix anyway, just minimise the risk.

The Red Thinker

And where is the most talented of them all, Hannibal?
Still too young to be on the cusp of breaking in. He's 17 and has a couple more years in the reserves before he truly breaks through like McTominay or Brandon Williams. Hannibal is a special talent. He isn't ready to break into the first team though.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I feel like Garner could go one way or the other. Ryan Tunnicliffe springs to mind.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What’s the view on Levitt, then? I hear a lot about Garner but not as much on him. Didn’t he get called up to the NT for Wales a little while ago at 18?

hmchan

Youre talking like a loan is a bad thing? Competitive games is what he needs at his age a loan would be great for him, honestly no point him staying here getting 5-6 games next season if he’s lucky.
Many fans are just too excited to see the breakthrough of youngsters, especially after Rashford and Greenwood's success. However, the gap between reserve and first team football nowadays is really huge (especially after our relegation) and the level of U23 is too low to judge a player. It's sensible to loan players out for them to prove themselves and develop. They should earn their first team chances by performing well in their loan spells, just like Evans, Cleverley and Welbeck.

There are so many examples suggesting that we shouldn't put too much faith in our youngsters. Pereira, arguably one of our worst players nowadays, was our Reserve Team Player of the Year. Chong has been magnificent in the U23 over the past few years, but he is nowhere near the required standard for the first team. Behind the few successful products people always talk about, there are plenty plenty plenty more failed products who have never got a chance to play for us and have been released unnoticed.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I feel like Garner could go one way or the other. Ryan Tunnicliffe springs to mind.
Every player can go either way but I don’t think that’s an adept comparison really. Garner is highly talented and rated for it. Tunnicliffe’s hype solely came from him being a Roy of the rovers leader from people desperate to have a new Roy Keane. It always completely negated his distinctly average footballing ability.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
What’s the view on Levitt, then? I hear a lot about Garner but not as much on him. Didn’t he get called up to the NT for Wales a little while ago at 18?
Fantastic on the ball, better than Garner for me. Likes to sit deep and just control games. Thought he struggled a little in the EFL trophy matches against senior sides, he’s a very slight lad. Garner has the more complete game to him at the moment.

He was in the Wales squad for their last qualifiers but didn’t play. Giggs said he would have got his debut in the March friendlies and talks very highly of him, saying he’s one of the best in training.

RkkMan

Mengi and Laird will be first team players next season definitely. Definitely think Garner needs a loan deal and if he does go Levitt should stay with Jude going to BVB and a DM not being a priority having Levitt as a 5th midfielder would be nice. I love how we are more keen to give our youngsters a pathway into the first team long may it continue.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Hannibal is 17. But world’s biggest talents often start senior careers at around that age.

Certainly he is young, but we have Lingard, Pereira and Mata getting minutes now, better use those minutes more wisely
Playing league games is about 1% of a players actual development. Think of it as a competition you train for: The race is the end result after months and months of preparing.

My point is that the players develop by being matched against the best when they are ready. It just so happens that these talents are afforded the opportunity to play against the best players, at Carrington, every single day.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Read the article mate.

Also, to everyone discussing if Garner should go on loan - it's exactly what's discussed in the article. The club's position is pretty clear there.