27 years old
309 games
91 goals
60 assists
Out of contract in June
Rumoured to be available for only 13m
Linked with Leicester & Aston Villa

Should United be in for him?

Reported Aston Villa and Leicester City target Florian Thauvin has poured fuel on the speculation fire by admitting to L’Equipe that he could leave Marseille in the near future.

Just a week ago, OM coach Andre Villas-Boas was raving about the ‘extraordinary creativity’ of a winger who is showing signs of getting back to his brilliant best after two seasons ruined by injury.

Thauvin scored his first goals in a year-and-a-half in the 3-2 opening day win at Brest before netting a famous winner against Paris Saint German – Marseille’s first victory over their bitter rivals in over a decade.

But with his contract set to expire next June, and no extension on the table as things stand, Thauvin’s future at the Stade Velodrome is in serious doubt.

“I believe that this is a matter that should have been settled a long time ago, that a player in my position should not find himself in this situation today,” says the 2018 World Cup winner.

“I have no choice but to think about (leaving). I do not have a contract proposal from OM. The reality is, that in June, I will be without a club.

“Either I stay at OM, or I go abroad. I will study both options. First, there is the sporting aspect.

“What is the sporting project at OM? What will the club’s goals be? How important will I be in this project? Will I be one of the major players on the team? Will anyone want to build with me, around me ? What responsibilities will I be given?”

Thauvin’s comments should give hope to both Aston Villa and Leicester, who were reportedly keen to tie up a cut-price £13 million deal for the one-time Newcastle United youngster before the window slams shut (Tuttomercatoweb in August).

The gifted winger, who produced 18 goals in 2018/19 and 26 the year before, has unfinished business in England after all.

Villa have already signed Bertrand Traore and Ollie Watkins but, with a deal for Werder Bremen’s Milot Rashica progressing sluggishly, the Midland giants could turn to the cheaper Thauvin.

Last edited:

MrBrightside1989

Might be a decent stop gap signing, if we could reinvest in the defence.
Played for Newcastle a few years ago and he wasn't great- perhaps the experience would help him. Seems to have great stats in France.

izec

I'd buy him for squad depth. We need someone on that right wing this season if Sancho is not coming. We can also go for a better player for all i care, but we can't rely on James.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Would do a bit like Remy Cabella in the PL.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not worth a wank in the PL.
He’s got a lot better since his stint at Newcastle. As a squad option he can’t be any worse than what we have anyway. Look at the bench today, would lingard come on and change the game? People like Thauvin would make great squad players

beingshe7don

I would get Sancho and Thauvin, Douglas Costa or Amad Traore for depth. I think we miss a genuine left footed RW. We do have Greenwood but I don't necessarily see him operating as a RW for the whole season.

Bondi77

I would get Sancho and Thauvin, Douglas Costa or Amad Traore for depth. I think we miss a genuine left footed RW. We do have Greenwood but I don't necessarily see him operating as a RW for the whole season.
We have Chong so it will be interesting to see how he does on loan.

Blood Mage

I do think the Caf has a tendency to turn their noses up at players who aren't necessarily good enough to stroll into our first team, without considering the importance of squad depth. As a backup for Greenwood (or Sancho if we miraculously get him) Thauvin would be a smart buy.

Last edited:

Okey

Wasn't he in the world cup winning team? That alone would suggest he's improved a lot since Newcastle. World cup winning squad player. United squad player. That would be some CV won't it?

starman

AC Milan have met with the entourage of Marseille star Florian Thauvin to discuss a possible move, a report claims.

MilanNews reported last night that the agent of Thauvin has offered the right-winger to Milan in recent days. Marseille are asking for €15m to part ways with their star, whose contract will expire next summer.

The player, who has collected two goals and two assists in the first five games, likes the idea of moving to Milan and it remains to be seen if there is room for negotiating.

Now, TMW have gone one further by claiming that Thauvin could be a possible replacement for Lucas Paqueta in the attacking department, who is all set to join Lyon.

The report claims that there was a meeting on Tuesday at Casa Milan between the Rossoneri management and Thauvin’s entourage (Cyril Rool, the agent, is in Milan at the moment).

The asking price is in fact below €15m and there are continuous contacts, for a possible market track to be monitored carefully.
Even if we get Sancho, or another winger, i still think we should go for him, hes going to be dirt cheap, provides that variation of a tricky left footed winger and will be a big upgrade to our current bench options.

izec

That was quick. Could have done better, surely a midtable club in the PL or Spain, or maybe even Milan/Roma would have shown some interest?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Would be much better suited for Serie A than prem imo (obviously better now than at Newcastle but thought he was a bit too lightweight for this league).

Might still get a call up for France as Gignac did when he went to play in Mexico.