g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Flybe going into adminstration

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Exeter Chiefs are getting absolutely slammed online today. Flybe have been a main sponsor for years and today the Chiefs turned all the Flybe employees away, they all had complementary tickets as part of the sponsorship deal.

Talk about kicking people when they are down.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Will this company be the only one going down because of Corvid 19?
Almost certainly not... It's almost impossible to imagine that there won't be a ressession given the reduction in economic activity in China and Italy and most probably more countries to add to the list.
Banks will as usual cut back on lending just at a time a lot of companies will have taken big hits due to shutdowns and supply chain issues
Plenty of companies under danger in the next 12 months which seems to be the minimum time till there is a vaccine

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Maybe we should use boats and trains to get around our tiny archipelago rather than the most environmentally damaging option we can think of. Just an idea.

Maybe we should use boats and trains to get around our tiny archipelago rather than the most environmentally damaging option we can think of. Just an idea.
If only the trains weren't overcrowded, overpriced and unreliable.

Other than for commuting to London I fly within the UK or I hire a car. Been left stranded by the train one too many times.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Other than for commuting to London I fly within the UK or I hire a car. Been left stranded by the train one too many times.
Investing in airports is a lot cheaper than investing in trains when you don't bother tracking the environmental costs on the balance sheet. Quite the opposite if you do. Vote for someone who gives a shit, only solution unfortunately.

Bert_

Trains should be the backbone of this country. It's a shame we have handed them over to government endorsed cartels who could not give two shits about how they operate as long as the money keeps flowing up to them.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Actually cars are the worst environmental option

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Possibly. But to those in the UK inconvenienced I'm not sure who owned or used the FlyBe name will have been much of a concern.
Probably not, ironically as this is in a football forum, the old Flybe is something that came from Jack Walker, he of Blackburn fame, he built/owned the airline that ultimately became Flybe

Trains should be the backbone of this country. It's a shame we have handed them over to government endorsed cartels who could not give two shits about how they operate as long as the money keeps flowing up to them.
Let's be honest they were shit before privatisation too.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Perhaps the strangest experience I’ve had flying were the FlyBe flights to and from Switzerland on planes designed for 100’s of passengers and only having about 10 people on them. Basically a giant private jet at that point. Such an utter waste of fuel at a great cost to the environment.

I should think staff have seen this coming for a while and have been bailing on them before the axe fell.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
CharacteristicShare of CO2 emissions
Passenger cars41%
Medium and heavy trucks22%
Shipping11%
Aviation8%
And if you normalise those numbers based on miles travelled?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Perhaps the strangest experience I’ve had flying were the FlyBe flights to and from Switzerland on planes designed for 100’s of passengers and only having about 10 people on them. Basically a giant private jet at that point. Such an utter waste of fuel at a great cost to the environment.

I should think staff have seen this coming for a while and have been bailing on them before the axe fell.
You weren't on a Flybe plane then, the biggest aircraft they ever flew was a Boeing 737-300 which had a capacity of about 150 seats

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
And if you normalise those numbers based on miles travelled?
Cars travel more miles than planes or trains do, aviation is responsible for about 2% of greenhouse gases, ICE's are much more than that

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
150 people then. Point is, the plane was empty and it was surreal.
I once flew from London to Chicago on a 747 that had about 40 passengers, and from Malta to Rome on a 180 seater and there were 9 of us - neither time did the buggers give me an upgrade!

poleglass red

going to Southampton game, booked my flight with, yup Flybe.No biggie as easyjet had room just dearer price.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I once flew from London to Chicago on a 747 that had about 40 passengers, and from Malta to Rome on a 180 seater and there were 9 of us - neither time did the buggers give me an upgrade!
Once flew Boston to Columbus, Ohio, 2 months after 9/11. There were 3 of us on the flight, me, my brother and another chap who had the same surname. That was strange.