Foden or Greenwood: who do you take?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
This is too easy though... how about the TAA or AWB, maybe that's harder.
I'd say the closest comparison you can get is probably Sterling and Rashford, issue with that is Sterling would look terrible for us with the amount of chances we would create for hi so no one would swap again.

Can't think of a single swap that the results would be roughly 50/50

RashyForPM

This is a pretty pointless bump just because Foden had an excellent game in a dead rubber home game against Iceland. I must say though, if Greenwood equals Foden's achievements by the time they retire in 2040 or so, he'd have done magnificently well. Imo, they are both generational talents.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The value in this list is rather meaningless. No one could afford Sancho for 120m last summer, let alone Davies for 180m.

Also, even though Davies has been brilliant, they won’t be any clubs willing to pay that much for a full back.

The more realistic value where potential buyers willing to offer would be:

1. Haaland - 120m
2. Sancho - 100m
3. Davies - 90m
4. Fati - 90m
5. Greenwood - 90m
Etc

Last edited:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Yea by definition you can't have more goals than chances....
What about individual goals? Ronaldo screamer v Porto wasn't created by Anderson. Greenwoods brace v Bournemouth were both very individual.

Some goals don't have assists.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
The value in this list is rather meaningless. No one could afford Sancho for 120m last summer, let alone Davies for 180m.

Also, even though Davies has been brilliant, they won’t be any clubs willing to pay that much for a full back.

The more realistic value where potential buyers willing to offer would be:

1. Haaland - 120m
2. Sancho - 100m
3. Davies - 90m
4. Fati - 90m
5. Greenwood - 90m
Etc
No one is offering £90m for Greenwood at this point.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Surely you can take both to the Euros, it doesn’t need to be one.
It could be both as they play different positions. Foden is more likely though as Greenwood is in competition with Rashford, Sterling, Sancho, Mount & Grealish for the wide positions (assuming he keeps the 3-4-3) & Kane, DCL, Ings & Abraham for the centre forward positions.

He’s going to have to hit top form & sustain it if he wants to get in

In terms of who is the better player right now, it’s Foden. He’s a midfielder though, so he’s always going to be in the game. If Greenwood isn’t scoring he’s never really in the game. Foden is also a year further along in his development. One year of development at their age is huge. Lets see where Greenwood is in 12 months time.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

No one is offering £90m for Greenwood at this point.
You’re right, and it’s nothing to do with his ability. It’s because his stock is the lowest it’s been since he burst onto the scene right now, because of the hatchet job the media has done on him. Post lockdown last season I think we could have got 90 for him.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think last season is as good as its going to get for Greenwood for us for another season atleast.

So, at the moment I would have Foden over Greenwood.

Havak

Pokemon master
I'm going to contradict my personal decision as my thought is that Greenwood is the better player, but I'd probably take Foden to the Euros if it was a case of one or the other.

Midfield is England's weakest area by some distance IMO, so you need better players there. It depends how many defenders/midfielders Southgate is going to take.

I expect 8-9 Defenders and 6-7 Midfielders, along with the 3 Goalkeepers. So, there's only room for 6-8 Forwards at best, realistically I think he'll only take 6 or 7.

Kane, Rashford, Sancho, and Sterling all go. Probably Grealish too at the moment and while I see him as more of a No.10 and potentially closer to a Midfielder, Southgate doesn't. I also fancy Southgate to take at least one of Calvert-Lewin or Ings at the moment, so, unelss Greenwood surpasses last season's form from now on, I think he is the most at risk of not going.

Slightly off topic, but I think the decision may end up being closer to Saka vs. Greenwood and the way Southgate wants to play. If he expects to utilise the back three more, he'll probably choose Saka.

Danny Roberts

Foden because his ability is more proven. There are so many kids who achieved similar to MG, perhaps a little less, who we all thought would go on to be stars. Some don't even end up in the Championship. MG MIGHT end up being the better player but there is less risk with Foden because he is further down the line.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Plus, England's midfield is generally lacking in creativity and guile.

Sparky Rhiwabon

This thread might need bumping. Foden really seems to have kicked on this season whereas Mason has gone backwards if anything.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This thread might need bumping. Foden really seems to have kicked on this season whereas Mason has gone backwards if anything.
His goalscoring has, his all round game has not.

BlahRules

Greenwood had a difficult start but I believe he is now kicking on and starting to deliver. He will have a strong end to this season.

romufc

I don't know why we compare, they are both brilliant players.

Greenwood got almost 20 goals last season, Foden is breaking through this season. Lets see them both develop and get consistency.

Dozer

Greenwood will come good. Not that everyone develops at the same rate but he's 16 months younger than Foden, who himself is only just getting consistent starts this season.

Foden is probably the better player right now but both incredible prospects and nowhere near their full potential yet. Both are quick but don't rely solely on blistering pace the same way as some of the highly rated prospects of the past have - Aaron Lennon, Theo Walcott etc. They have a lot more to their game.

Mason's two footedness and natural finishing ability will stand him in good stead.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
At this moment, Foden is clearly ahead. But it could change in couple of months time, if Greenwood regain his form and Foden start to show inconsistency. But who knows, both are very talented.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Greenwood is low on confidence but his overall game is still good. Foden is in good form as the City team is flying high, and he's benefitting Peps coaching. I'd never swap Greenwood.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm happy with Greenwood.

They're 2 different players anyway. Greenwood has the potential to be more exciting.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Both excellent youngsters with big futures ahead of them. No reason why they can't be played together.

Henderson
Alexander-Arnold, Stones, Maguire, Shaw
Henderson, Rice, Grealish
Sancho, Kane, Sterling

Pope
Walker, Keane, Dier, Saka
Foden, Phillips, Mount
Greenwood, Calvert-Lewin,Rashford

Matt007a

Foden is further along in his development. He was in and around the City team earlier than Greenwood and plays under a coach who has a world class reputation for making players of that type significantly better. He’s far ahead at the moment but it doesn’t mean much in the long run.

Neither will peak for another 5-6 years and both will be inconsistent due to their ages.

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City

Greenwood got almost 20 goals last season, Foden is breaking through this season. Lets see them both develop and get consistency.
Totally agree...no need for any comparison. They are both very talented young players with incredibly bright futures in the game.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
They're both young prospects, playing for opposing rival teams, both English. Makes sense to compare, especially on a forum where we chat football.

Greenwood had a great back end to last season but has dipped this year. Foden looks solid but with the amount of talent in that City midfield, it will take him longer to establish himself. They're both young so both will be inconsistent for a while still.

I liked that Pep wasn't getting carried away with the Foden display yesterday, saying that Foden is great potential but struggles with decision making and positioning when playing through the middle. Hopefully Ole is similarly trying to improve Mason too.

Hopefully both have great futures ahead.

romufc

They're both young prospects, playing for opposing rival teams, both English. Makes sense to compare, especially on a forum where we chat football.

Greenwood had a great back end to last season but has dipped this year. Foden looks solid but with the amount of talent in that City midfield, it will take him longer to establish himself. They're both young so both will be inconsistent for a while still.

I liked that Pep wasn't getting carried away with the Foden display yesterday, saying that Foden is great potential but struggles with decision making and positioning when playing through the middle. Hopefully Ole is similarly trying to improve Mason too.

Hopefully both have great futures ahead.
Yep, if they were similar players yes. Greenwood is a clinical finisher, Foden is a creator so where does or come into play?

You say Greenwood had a great end to last season? I recall him scoring goals in the first half of the season as well in the cup competitions?

Greenwood has had a difficult time off the pitch this season, instead of piling on the pressure, Ole managed him well, took him out of the firing line and protected him.

Agreed, hopefully they have great careers.

Skills

Snitch
Greenwoods level of goalscoring ability is more valuable in football

Chipper

Adulterer.
Greenwoods level of goalscoring ability is more valuable in football
They've both scored about the same rate in their careers to date. I don't really watch much besides United these days so am heavily reliant on stats for Foden, but if people are saying Greenwood is a better scorer, perhaps or perhaps not intimating that Foden might be better at other stuff then wouldn't it help for Greenwood's scoring numbers to actually be better?

anant

It completely depends on whether Greenwood can improve on his decision making.

Technically, I'd say both are pretty equal, however, Greenwood's weaker foot is so good that he can dribble past any player with more ease. However, at the same time, Foden's decision making is world class, and that is something Greenwood really needs to work on.

Greenwood's still young to improve this attribute, however, as we've seen in the past, a lot of players never develop this attribute to the level that matches their technical ability even when they get older. If Greenwood can improve this attribute, I'd say Greenwood has the higher ceiling, however, Foden is ridiculously good for his age.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Foden right now in their careers. He is better at everything except finishing - passing, dribbling, off-the-ball movement, overall football intelligence. He has had a more favorable atmosphere in which to develop but that's just baked into the players at this point.

I can tell from watching him that Greenwood has really good finishing technique and is a good finisher but its honestly way too early to tell just how good he will be in this regard, the sample is just too small. He was otherworldly last year but that was never going to be sustainable. Right now he has scored 11 goals on an xg of 7.1 in his premier league career, which is still excellent but remains a very small sample. If 2-3 of those happen to be deflected by a last second block, all of a sudden his goals over xg isn't actually appreciably better than Foden's (11 goals on a career xg of 10).

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Both excellent youngsters with big futures ahead of them. No reason why they can't be played together.

Henderson
Alexander-Arnold, Stones, Maguire, Shaw
Henderson, Rice, Grealish
Sancho, Kane, Sterling

Pope
Walker, Keane, Dier, Saka
Foden, Phillips, Mount
Greenwood, Calvert-Lewin, Rashford
Walker? He is 30 and on the decline, AWB needs to be in the England team instead of him. AWB is going to keep getting better and Walker is not.

Teja

Foden for me. I think he will hit Iniesta levels if he keeps playing for Pep.

Irrational.

Completely different players but talent wise I have Foden streets ahead of anyone in his age group in the PL. He has a maturity in his game and he is technically excellent which is very rare. It’s even more impressive when you consider he’s had to break into a team containing KdB, Gundogan, and until recently, David Silva.

KW2006

Greenwood is special but Foden is another thing at the moment.

Of course Greenwood's position on the pitch require more physical strength and experience. If he keep develop then in 3 years time I may pick him over Foden. But otherwise I would take Foden any day of the week.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Greenwood is a striker, he is never a winger or outside forward needs to play as a striker of he will not improve. You can see it in his game he is always looking for the shot instead of the pass.

Nero

They are not even peers. Foden is 18 months older.

At their young ages that is an eternity of time.