Gaming Football Manager 2011

wr8_utd

:'(
Demo usually comes around mid August or september but the news and features will start getting announced by the end of this month or next probably

Ecstasio

Between South Manchester & The South Coast of
I haven't been keeping up with the news. Have they planned any improvements to the match engine? I don't spend much time on 2010 any more I must admit, but I have been playing the odd hour or two and running the 3D match engine actually in 3D (with red/cyan glasses). It's pretty cool but really not detailed enough for my liking. FM2010 is a much more complete game than Fifa Manager but Fifa Manager wins hands down in the graphics department.

nimic

something nice
Scout
FIFA Manager is a much, much worse game than Football Manager. It's all style and no substance. There's a reason why it looks so good. Because that's all they care about.

nimic

something nice
Scout
FMLive has made that job a lot easier as well. They routinely "test" Match engines on FMLive, meaning they can monitor a vast number of games being played on it, and more quickly spot what works and what doesn't.

Ecstasio

FIFA Manager is a much, much worse game than Football Manager. It's all style and no substance. There's a reason why it looks so good. Because that's all they care about.
Agreed but it is 2010 and SI could introduce a fully rendered 3D engine (I know it has 3D now but it has a semi-static isometric view and a very low polygon count) fairly easily without it detracting from the games strengths in my opinion.

x42bn6

It's also to keep graphics requirements low. System requirements are high enough for this game as it stands.

The 3D engine has a very in-house feel to it though, as if SI made it themselves. They'd do good to pass it onto a team who knows graphics inside-out so the system requirements can come down.

wr8_utd

The reason i think SI have never made it very high level graphics is because this game is meant for everyone, even those with shit PC's. So till now they have always tried to keep system requirements as low as possible and ths is quite evident if you visit their forums.

Now however I think they should finally improve the game graphically to get it close to EA FM level.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
The reason i think SI have never made it very high level graphics is because this game is meant for everyone, even those with shit PC's. So till now they have always tried to keep system requirements as low as possible and ths is quite evident if you visit their forums.

Now however I think they should finally improve the game graphically to get it close to EA FM level.
I disagree.

The reason they have never improved the graphics significantly is mostly because it doesn't need it. Visit FM forums and you will find that most posters there still use 2D classic despite the 3D options. This isn't simply because the 3D engine is underdeveloped its actually because there is no way the 3D engine can tell you as much about how your team plays as the 2D engine does.

I like to be able to see the whole of the pitch at all times so that I can actually see how my defence are positioned whilst I am in the opositions penalty box and whether my side are vunerable to the counter amoung other things.

The 2D engine is the very best way of looking at your teams strengths and weaknesses and its simplicity allows you to analyze these in the best way possible. 3D engines are overated and should be left to those who are looking for an arcade game rather than a simulation which is what FM has always been.

The 2D engine also plays an important part in the actual feel of the game as alot of what goes on in FM takes part in the players head. I like to imagine what my star striker looked like whilst weaving though a defence and firing the ball into the net, I like to imagine what my star CB looks like whilst putting in a crunching tackle to win the ball and I like to imagine what my midfield playmaker looks like whilst hitting a 40yrd pass right into the path of my pacy striker to put him through on goal.

This is one of the last games on the market that relies on the power of imagination rather than flashy graphics, and its why any friend i've introduced to the game who has liked it on first play has then gone on to have the "football/championship manager dream" the first night after playing the game.

Instead of working on the 3D engine they should spend more time of the role playing aspect of the game. If my star striker is unhappy about something why can't I have a direct conversation with him? Why can't I fine my players directly for speaking to the press(i could on previous versions under unprofessional behaviour)? Why can't I tell my players that it is unacceptable when they refuse to learn or forget a move?

These are just some of things they need to work on, but for me the constant redesigning of the match engine is slightly unnessesary. Instead they need to focus on the ingame management options, whilst tweeking but not overhalling an match engine that always seems to take them the best part of 3 updates to perfect anyway.

Brophs

The One and Only
Inevitably, among the features will be the same old bugs that have dogged the game for years; regens not being as good as real players, teams buying four 38 year old keepers in the same summer and then never playing them, keepers being either atrocious or amazing, being sacked for finishing second the season after leading Wolves to the league title etc etc.

I still enjoy the game, but some of the things they've allowed to slide for years are daft.

Leg-End

I always thought they should bring in management scenarios like I think LMA Manager used to have, say take over a club mid season and avoid relegation. They kind of have done that with the Steam achievements but they are pretty standard ones.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
I disagree.

The reason they have never improved the graphics significantly is mostly because it doesn't need it. Visit FM forums and you will find that most posters there still use 2D classic despite the 3D options. This isn't simply because the 3D engine is underdeveloped its actually because there is no way the 3D engine can tell you as much about how your team plays as the 2D engine does.

I like to be able to see the whole of the pitch at all times so that I can actually see how my defence are positioned whilst I am in the opositions penalty box and whether my side are vunerable to the counter amoung other things.

The 2D engine is the very best way of looking at your teams strengths and weaknesses and its simplicity allows you to analyze these in the best way possible. 3D engines are overated and should be left to those who are looking for an arcade game rather than a simulation which is what FM has always been.

The 2D engine also plays an important part in the actual feel of the game as alot of what goes on in FM takes part in the players head. I like to imagine what my star striker looked like whilst weaving though a defence and firing the ball into the net, I like to imagine what my star CB looks like whilst putting in a crunching tackle to win the ball and I like to imagine what my midfield playmaker looks like whilst hitting a 40yrd pass right into the path of my pacy striker to put him through on goal.

This is one of the last games on the market that relies on the power of imagination rather than flashy graphics, and its why any friend i've introduced to the game who has liked it on first play has then gone on to have the "football/championship manager dream" the first night after playing the game.

Instead of working on the 3D engine they should spend more time of the role playing aspect of the game. If my star striker is unhappy about something why can't I have a direct conversation with him? Why can't I fine my players directly for speaking to the press(i could on previous versions under unprofessional behaviour)? Why can't I tell my players that it is unacceptable when they refuse to learn or forget a move?

These are just some of things they need to work on, but for me the constant redesigning of the match engine is slightly unnessesary. Instead they need to focus on the ingame management options, whilst tweeking but not overhalling an match engine that always seems to take them the best part of 3 updates to perfect anyway.
Spot fecking on.

As I said in the FM10 thread at this time last year, more options for talking to the players, and to the board, would be right at the very top of my wishlist. The board pissing and moaning about wages for the last third of the season and it affecting the confidence they have in me is annoying when I can't tell them something like "A few of the high earners are fecking off at the end of the season" or similar.

When I was managing Southampton I had a player called Anthony vanden Borre who flat out refused to learn any new moves. At all. Season on season (well the 3 or 4 he was with me) "Durand has asked vandenBorre to cross the ball more/play less through balls/whatever" is responded to with "vanden Borre sees no point adapting his game". Really? Well maybe he'd like to manage the fecking team then.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I actually find the 3D match engine very helpful. I do miss the rather more "imagination"-aspect of the 2D engine, but I think it makes it easier to spot what works and what doesn't.

x42bn6

I actually find the 3D match engine very helpful. I do miss the rather more "imagination"-aspect of the 2D engine, but I think it makes it easier to spot what works and what doesn't.
Also think this is true, although my laptop is slow now and I get plenty of time to imagine in 3D because it fecking lags. :mad:

Do wish they'd bring back the old 2D though, with small dots rather than dots that remind me of Emile Heskey or Andy Reid.

The engine is really good now, with only a few tweaks (wingers need a slight boost, corner bug needs fixing properly, one or two defence marking issues), and I quite like it. It's just that I don't really think it's as fun in the long-term, FM10 - or maybe I'm just used to my regen-infested FM08 game, where there is no such thing as Lionel Messi.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
They need to reduce the difficulty of this game. Yes I know I'm shit at it, but I wan't a fun football manager game, just like old times.
I was actually thinking they could do with making it harder as it can get a bit too easy to walk over every team you play and pick up every trophy. I've had to stop playing as top teams because I end up with them winning practically every trophy available every year and dragging a shite team up to the top gets boring after a few runs through.

Ecstasio

I was actually thinking they could do with making it harder as it can get a bit too easy to walk over every team you play and pick up every trophy. I've had to stop playing as top teams because I end up with them winning practically every trophy available every year and dragging a shite team up to the top gets boring after a few runs through.
Indeed. Normally takes about 3-4 months before I become bored with how easy it is every year. The finances being the hardest part I guess. The opponents AI needs improving a lot, they are far too predictable.

SirAF

Ageist
I know what you mean. I fecking love those little circles... I think it's because it allows my imagination to play a part.
I disagree.

Agreed. The 3D engine was amusing for a couple of matches when it was new, but the 2D is superior both in terms of analyzing and entertainment.

wr8_utd

- Release Date is Friday, October 29th 2010
- Improved training options
- More complex module for searching new players
- Improved graphics and 3D view of the game
- Introduction of football agents to the game
- Playing games in evenings (so called night effect)
- Differentiated weather conditions

Cina

Meh, doesn't sound great. 10 was a huge improvement on 09 in terms of tactics and such but there's not much new there.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I don't understand why they spend so much time tweeking the match engine and so little time improving the interface. I still won't be able to have a conversation with my unhappy players.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
Agents?

That could be interesting.
This.

I tend to get annoyed by the transfer market, so the addition of agents may make the transfer market more tactical. However, it may be shit.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I disagree.

You should email them this post. Im sure they will welcome the input

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Its a good idea mate and I will within the next 2 days.
I couldn't agree more with those points, especially about player interaction.

They also need to look at the media side of things. I'm sick of being asked the same questions in every interview.

I also find my team talks tend to be ignored most of the time, even though im saying the right things and form is good.

Member 5225

I've not played properly past FM 2007 - I try to get into the new ones via the demo's that come out, but none do it well enough...absolutely agreed re: the pointless 3d engine btw, 2d is the way it should always be.

wr8_utd

It's been announced :D

Was just bout to post this but ps beat me to it :p

wr8_utd

Official Announcement for Football Manager 2011
FOOTBALL MANAGER 2011 UNVEILED

YouTube announcement Video Can be found HERE

Sports Interactive Confirm Football Manager 2011 Release This Year

LONDON (August 11th, 2010) – Sports Interactive & SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced that Football Manager™ 2011 for PC and Apple Macintosh, and Football Manager Handheld™ 2011 for Sony PlayStation® Portable will be released before Christmas 2010. FM2011 will feature more new features than ever before, including real-time contract negotiation, a revamped training system and a number of match engine improvements, Football Manager 2011 will once again raise the bar for football management games.

Football Manager 2011 is the latest iteration of the award-winning Football Manager series. Selling in excess of 6 Million copies worldwide, Football Manager has been topping the UK PC charts for the last five years.

Football Manager 2011 will be more polished than ever this year, and Sports Interactive will again set a new standard for the genre by adding a host of new features. For the first time ever, aspiring managers can now negotiate contracts with players in real time. And by working with a multitude of real-life football agents, Sports Interactive gained an insight as to how these negotiations can be made as realistic as possible in-game. Prepare to meet different types of agents in your contract talks; each with their own personality so will therefore need a different approach.

“At Sports Interactive, we always strive to give the end-user the best experience possible,” said Miles Jacobson, Studio Director at Sports Interactive. “The training system for example has always been the best we thought it could be, until now. We’ve found a way to make it even better!”

With the implementation of the most intuitive training system in the series history, there is a new “match preparation” area of training so that managers can give their team specific areas to focus on in the lead up to a match. There are also more basic training schedules for players, and 14 different individual skill areas that you can focus your players
on.

Interaction with players, staff and the board have gone to a whole new level, with a host of new boardroom and backroom requests, a new player interaction module that allows the manager to have private conversations with players, as well as public conversations regarding players at other clubs.

Two years after the launch of the 3D Match Engine, players will see a number of improvements implemented for this year’s release. With over 100 new animations added, as well as more player emotions, new player models, new stadiums, pitch textures, improved lighting, floodlit night matches, more goal celebrations and lots of other extras which improve what was already the best match simulation on the market.

The other new features announced today include a revamped media module, which will keep the managers better up to date with events going on in their football world, as well as being more customisable than ever before, and the most requested feature that the Sports Interactive community have asked for in the last few years, dynamic league reputation, which makes for an even more realistic model of the footballing world.

Further new features will be announced via Twitter (@si_games), Facebook, a series of blogs and the popular Football Manager Podcast in the months leading up to the game’s release. With more new features than anyone could ever fit in a press release, Football Manager will retain its position as the most realistic, most played, annually best selling, and highest reviewed football management simulation in the world.

For all discussion regarding the features announced so far and anything else regarding the FM2011 announcement, please click HERE

Remember though, these are only the first features announced; in no way should this be taken as the full or nearly full features list.

The Sports Interactive Team

wr8_utd

Wish there was a more definite release date though. "Before Christmas" could be any time :(