Football questions

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Some I've been musing recently. Can anyone answer these?

- If a team put the ball out for a head injury and then the other team pass it back to their keeper for fair play reasons. Do those two passes (off the pitch and back to the oppo keeper) count against a player/team's pass completion?

- If there's a handball/foul in the area but the play goes on and Team A counter attacks but a player from Team B commits an absolute horror tackle for a straight red. If they then finish checking the VAR and decide it was in fact a penalty, does the red get immediately rescinded?

- Does possession only count when the ball is under control of a player? What if we have the ball for a while and then a pass is played over the top for Rashford to have a race to the ball with the opposition defender. Is it still considered to be under our possession until you see the outcome of that sprint between the players? Or does it become no longer in our possession once the ball is in the air?

- Is the xG for a penalty 1.00?

- If Henderson picked the ball up and just bounced it off Maguire's head over and over (keeping his hands really close and catching it each time) would that technically be allowed or would the ref step in and say it's unsporting?

- If a team was counter-attacking in a scenario where the goalkeeper was out of goal but a fan ran on the pitch and took out the attacking player, what would be given by the ref to the attacking team?

- What would happen if the ball was going out for a throw but as the linesman flagged he accidentally hit the ball and kept it in?

- Will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
- If Henderson picked the ball up and just bounced it off Maguire's head over and over (keeping his hands really close and catching it each time) would that technically be allowed or would the ref step in and say it's unsporting?
Yeah, this one would be an indirect free kick and a yellow card on the grounds of being a nob. Same as this one where Verratti gets down on his hands and knees to head the ball back to the keeper:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm quite interested in the answer to the first one if anyone knows it.

Robertd0803

- If there's a handball/foul in the area but the play goes on and Team A counter attacks but a player from Team B commits an absolute horror tackle for a straight red. If they then finish checking the VAR and decide it was in fact a penalty, does the red get immediately rescinded?

If the red is for serious foul play then no.

- Does possession only count when the ball is under control of a player?

I always thought its your possession until you lose the ball. So in that example its ours when Bruno passes it to Rashford over the top and remains ours if Rashford takes it down. If Rashford loses it then we lose possession on the stats.

- What would happen if the ball was going out for a throw but as the linesman flagged he accidentally hit the ball and kept it in?

Play on. But the linesman will and should get crucified in the referees report.
Im sure there was a question like this in the Guardians You are the ref a few years back which is why I think its play on.
Answers in bold.

TheReligion

Abusive

- If a team put the ball out for a head injury and then the other team pass it back to their keeper for fair play reasons. Do those two passes (off the pitch and back to the oppo keeper) count against a player/team's pass completion?

- Does possession only count when the ball is under control of a player? What if we have the ball for a while and then a pass is played over the top for Rashford to have a race to the ball with the opposition defender. Is it still considered to be under our possession until you see the outcome of that sprint between the players? Or does it become no longer in our possession once the ball is in the air?

- If a team was counter-attacking in a scenario where the goalkeeper was out of goal but a fan ran on the pitch and took out the attacking player, what would be given by the ref to the attacking team?

@GoranIvanisevic will know

If it's serious foul play then the red stays, otherwise it's cancelled. Happened to us with Dan James earlier in the season didn't it?

It's in our possession until the opposition gets it under their control.

Referee should stop the game as normal. Doesn't matter how promising the attack was.

Dropped ball awarded if the ball changes possession, otherwise play on.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Yes

As others have said.

Possession stats are calculated off of percentage of passes, not time you have possession.

No, xG is the probability of an average player scoring. The average player doesn't convert 100% of penalties.

Not allowed

Play would be stopped.

Same as when it hits the main official, drop ball if possession is overturned or a chance is created from it. Assistant refs don't stand on the field of play and they flag after the ball is out though so this should never happen.

Yes

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
No drawings and diagrams? Missed opportunity. You're slacking. This could be a thread of it's own if you had bothered to draw Maguire's big head, Henderson's long arms and some freakishly small opposition players.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
What would happen if the ball was going out for a throw but as the linesman flagged he accidentally hit the ball and kept it in?
He'd have to do something very bizarre for that to happen, if I understand the scenario correctly. He isn't supposed to wave his flag around until after the ball is out of play, nor is he supposed to be on the pitch side of the line (where he might conceivably interfere with play).

But if a careless/incompetent/clownish linesman did manage to pull something like that, he'd be treated the same way as the (main) ref in terms of interference: in other words, nothing would happen unless the interference led to a) a goal b) an attacking opportunity or c) a change of possession.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Damn imagine if someone had 100% pass completion in a game and it got screwed by them being the person who had to give the ball back to the opposition team after an injury.

Lynty

Phelps hit 6mph
Great Whites average 15mph
Short fin mako sharks can hit 60mph

Unless your baby boy is a merman, he'll never out swim a shark. Sorry, I can't help you with the football questions.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah, this one would be an indirect free kick and a yellow card on the grounds of being a nob. Same as this one where Verratti gets down on his hands and knees to head the ball back to the keeper:

I don't understand what is technically illegal in what Verratti has done here?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I don't understand what is technically illegal in what Verratti has done here?

Unsporting/ungentlemanly conduct that's covered by a specific addendum in the laws basically to stop people taking the piss in order to circumvent the backpass rule:

No trickery may be used to get around the terms of the amendment to Law 12. A player may pass the ball to his own goalkeeper using his head, chest, knee, etc.; however, if, in the opinion of the referee, the player uses a deliberate trick -- such as flicking the ball to his head with his foot and heading it to the goalkeeper or kneeling and deliberately pushing the ball to the goalkeeper with his head or knee -- he must be cautioned for ungentlemanly conduct. It makes no difference whether or not the goalkeeper touches the ball with his hands; the offense is committed by the player who is seeking to circumvent both the Spirit and Letter of the Law.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Unsporting/ungentlemanly conduct that's covered by a specific addendum in the laws basically to stop people taking the piss in order to circumvent the backpass rule:
Ah. Cheers. Thanks man.

This is why I'm proud to be a football fan. Such a gentelmanly sport, the last one we've got.

Tacitus56AD

Supports
Bayern Munich
I can at least try:

- If a team put the ball out for a head injury and then the other team pass it back to their keeper for fair play reasons. Do those two passes (off the pitch and back to the oppo keeper) count against a player/team's pass completion? - Yes

- If there's a handball/foul in the area but the play goes on and Team A counter attacks but a player from Team B commits an absolute horror tackle for a straight red. If they then finish checking the VAR and decide it was in fact a penalty, does the red get immediately rescinded? - I think Yes

- Does possession only count when the ball is under control of a player? What if we have the ball for a while and then a pass is played over the top for Rashford to have a race to the ball with the opposition defender. Is it still considered to be under our possession until you see the outcome of that sprint between the players? Or does it become no longer in our possession once the ball is in the air? - It is under possession until you see the outcome

- Is the xG for a penalty 1.00? - what is xG? Should I know about it?

- If Henderson picked the ball up and just bounced it off Maguire's head over and over (keeping his hands really close and catching it each time) would that technically be allowed or would the ref step in and say it's unsporting? - It would be allowed but refs might consider it unsportsmanlike conduct?

- If a team was counter-attacking in a scenario where the goalkeeper was out of goal but a fan ran on the pitch and took out the attacking player, what would be given by the ref to the attacking team? - If it is a good ref who knows the rules he stops play the moment the fan enters the pitch - if it is the ref from the 66 Worldcup final your unlucky.

- What would happen if the ball was going out for a throw but as the linesman flagged he accidentally hit the ball and kept it in? -If the ball is not out yet he would not signal? But if he does anyway and the ball is as described kept in play it is a throw-in.

- Will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark? -What kind of shark? They differ in speed i guess.

Pass and Move

When a player takes home the match ball, does that mean that one of the many in use during the game is the official match ball? I’ve only ever seen them ask the ref for the one he’s holding after the final whistle

Tacitus56AD

Supports
Bayern Munich
How about a round of multiple choice?

If a player scores an own-goal from a cornerkick ( i know kicking it across the whole pitch is pretty far but lets pretend) is it...

a) a simple own-goal
b) corner for the opposition team
c) goalie-kick

LOIfan

Supports
bohemians
How about a round of multiple choice?

If a player scores an own-goal from a cornerkick ( i know kicking it across the whole pitch is pretty far but lets pretend) is it...

a) a simple own-goal
b) corner for the opposition team
c) goalie-kick
I'd assume B, similar if a player scores an OG from their free kick, a corner kick is awarded not a goal

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
When a player takes home the match ball, does that mean that one of the many in use during the game is the official match ball? I’ve only ever seen them ask the ref for the one he’s holding after the final whistle
I think he just gets whatever ball was being used when the final whistle blew.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Why is it an own goal if you take a throw in and it goes into your net but if you took an attacking long throw and it went directly in they’d rule it out?

Gibb11

Is this allowed?...

it's a attacking set piece and you pump the ball high into the box and like in rugby a player lifts a teammate up and heads a goal or heads it down to create carnage pinball.