::sonny::

Stoichkov - Bulgaria (1994)
Baggio - Italy (1994)
Chilavert - Paraguay (1998)
Figo - Portugal (2000)

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I think it's evident that Messi's carrying Barca for years by now. The one time he wasn't around, Bayern ripped them to shreds. The next time, when he was fit, it looked quite differently.
He was around when we beat them 4:0...

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Can't think of a more clear case of a 1 man team than Spurs 2012/13. Bale.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Owen - Liverpool, winning the famous Treble.

Effenberg - Bayern.

Totti - Roma

Zidane - France
All of these are frankly awful shouts. You want the 'name the best player in a given team' thread.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
All of these are frankly awful shouts. You want the 'name the best player in a given team' thread.
Logically they would be. France wouldn't reach that Final without Zidane. And Liverpool undeservedly won FA Cup Final against Arsenal, thanks to who?

Lynty

David Beckham - England during 2002 World Cup Qualification.

No chance we could have done it without him.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
I think it's evident that Messi's carrying Barca for years by now. The one time he wasn't around, Bayern ripped them to shreds. The next time, when he was fit, it looked quite differently.
Most of the players in that team weren't around when they played last season.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Without him there is no way they would have won it. They lacked cutting edge and were very unimpressive throughout that whole tournament.
They were easily the best team in that tournament. Iniesta was unreal. Pique, Xavi, Puyol, Alonso all brilliant. Maybe they would have missed out without Villa but it's hardly a case of carrying the team.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Most of the players in that team weren't around when they played last season.
That may be true, but there is a long streak of Barcelona success and Messi is the biggest constant. I'm just throwing another name out there, as I don't think one player can truly carry a team. There are a lot of unsung heroes in football teams that enable a personality like Messi to shine.

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
In the past, I do remember Rivaldo somewhat carrying van Gaal's Barcelona when they were together. Rivaldo was an absolute monster back in the day as well.
Was just about to mention this one. There was one season where it seemed that he scored every one of Barcelona's goals. Then they needed a win to secure CL qualification against Valencia and he scored a hat-trick to win 3-2, including the famous last-second bicycle kick winner. That moment must have been worth many millions of dollars to Barcelona - literally.

b82REZ

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
They were easily the best team in that tournament. Iniesta was unreal. Pique, Xavi, Puyol, Alonso all brilliant. Maybe they would have missed out without Villa but it's hardly a case of carrying the team.
Well thats true, he probably carried the attack though. Won them countless close games were it not for him who knows how far they would have gone.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The very first player that came to mind, was Maradona @ Napoli.
That's the very definition of carrying a team.

I think Matt Le Tissier was also a folk hero @ Southampton.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Was just about to mention this one. There was one season where it seemed that he scored every one of Barcelona's goals. Then they needed a win to secure CL qualification against Valencia and he scored a hat-trick to win 3-2, including the famous last-second bicycle kick winner. That moment must have been worth many millions of dollars to Barcelona - literally.

Yup, that was after van Gaal got fired and Lorenzo Serra Ferrer had to use van Gaal's team with his own approach at that time. He was an absolute monster at that time, doing very well and pretty much carrying Barcelona through that transitional season.

montpelier

I just thought of Lineker - England. Patches when he was the only hope of scoring, anyway, if Robson was injured.

Needham

Kevin Keegan carried Newcastle to the glory of promotion from the old second division. And for Newcastle United promotion from the old second division counts as glory.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
And Moutinho has been brilliant for them. I really don't get why he never moved to a big club. He looks a level above all his teammates at Monaco everytime I watch them play.
He was always underrated. Not much of a highlight reel. During his best times at Porto I was absolutely convinced he could be a starter anywhere but Barça (at that time). He would hardly be mentioned on the outside though. I was also adamant he was the best and most valuable of the duo we sold to Monaco. I have very rarely seen him since, but am not surprised by what you say.

His consistency is outrageous, and was a big game player as well. He's also extremely professional, and never seemed to push much for a move (except for leaving Sporting, but he had been there for 5 or 6 years and the team was stale), which probably explains you not hearing much of him in transfer windows. He's happy to comply with his contracts.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
No such thing.

Specially with Ronaldo/United. Obviously he was very influential in our play, but we were pretty solid all over.
Everyone said he was carrying us, then all of a sudden Rooney was carrying us. Just because someone stands out performance wise doesn't mean they're carrying the team.

Gerrard didn't even 'carry' the team, he motivated them.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
He was always underrated. Not much of a highlight reel. During his best times at Porto I was absolutely convinced he could be a starter anywhere but Barça (at that time). He would hardly be mentioned on the outside though. I was also adamant he was the best and most valuable of the duo we sold to Monaco. I have very rarely seen him since, but am not surprised by what you say.

His consistency is outrageous, and was a big game player as well. He's also extremely professional, and never seemed to push much for a move (except for leaving Sporting, but he had been there for 5 or 6 years and the team was stale), which probably explains you not hearing much of him in transfer windows. He's happy to comply with his contracts.
I'd instantly have him at Bayern now and I'm sure he'd start a lot of games.