Footballers who should've played in England

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Here's another nostalgic thread to get you all going again....

Which elite or favourite players from years gone should've come to England either because culturally they'd have fitted in or their style would've been great but it didn't happen.

There was this Australian player from just over a decade ago called Mark Bresciano. Played well in Italy for likes of Parma and Palermo. When you think back to the Australia 2006 world cup squad he must've been the only major player that didn't play in England at one time....all the others like Lucas Neill, Cahill, Viduka, Kewell, Grella, Emerton etc did for years or briefly. Box to box and chipped in with goals, think he'd have been excellent for many top half teams.

Other ones of elite nature....Michael Laudrup. His brother played for years at Rangers and then very briefly for Chelsea. Would've loved to have seen Batistuta play in England, Man. United were constantly linked but could never quite tempt him away from Serie A which was ridiculously strong in those times, also remember a random link to Fulham. Paolo Maldini and Buffon would;'ve been cool players to see for a year or two but too loyal to their clubs.

Looks like Dybala going to be another, reckon he'd do well over here.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Would have loved to have seen Sammer after he left Inter. He'd have fit right in.

Can hardly say he should have though, seeing as what he won with Dortmund. He's not going to be sitting around thinking 'if only'.

Needham

Cruyff was set to join Leicester City. Maradona was in talks with Coventry City. Only one of those is true.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Zlatan should have come sooner.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Batistuta was the first name that came to my head. He would have been awesome.

Tiber

Every good player we have been linked with but failed to sign since Madrid offered to loan us Alfredo Di Stéfano after Munich*

*if this actually happened

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Del Piero. Loved watching him on the Serie A highlights as a kid.

Nedved was class too.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Roberto Carlos and Dani Alves.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Roberto Carlos and Dani Alves.
Dani Alves was about to sign for Man. City wasn't he before PSG came in with late offer.

Cavani woud be another one for me. Tailor made for English game with his tireless style. Also seems to get similar stick to Zlatan did before coming.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think Riquelme would have been great playing in England.
Think pace would've been a little bit difficult, also many of the top teams still played 4-4-2 in his era. Veron struggled with this.

Needham

Platini would have been a wonderfully graceful addition to the Luton Town midfield of the mid 80s and -surely influenced by English habits of honesty and rectitude- would never have gone on to accept brown envelope backhanders from greasy cnuts.

pacifictheme

Del Piero. Loved watching him on the Serie A highlights as a kid.

Nedved was class too.
We tried for del piero but he turned us down saying he wanted to stay at juve because they were his club or something (when they got relegated). Loved him and nedved.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Platini would have been a wonderfully graceful addition to the Luton Town midfield of the mid 80s and -surely influenced by English habits of honesty and rectitude- would never have gone on to accept brown envelope backhanders from greasy cnuts.
:lol:

IIRC Arsenal actually approached Juventus and they were keen to sell but he wasn't interested in coming to England with no winter break.

Reiver

Nedved and Seedorf immediately spring to mind. Two of my favourite players ever and who never played here domestically.
Also Maldini.

Uncle Albert

The one I always think of is Mario Gomez. This country loves the "big man up top", he would have been magnificent :drool::drool::drool:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Ivica Olic - another whose style of play I think would have suited England (the reason behind all my picks so far)

Didn't see that much of him down the years, but Juan Pablo Sorin based on what I saw of him at Villarreal.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Bastituta would have scored ridiculous numbers of goals in England. He would have put up Shearer numbers in a good team and a league less defensive than Serie A.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Christian Vieri.
Him, Seedorf, young Bastian, and Nedved are PL dream. Direct with brute force.

And you pick players from any of the whole late 80's and the 90's Serie A teams.