Footballers you honestly felt gutted for

dinostar77

None, cause they all (at top flight anyway) earn more money in a week then most of the population do in a year.

Lee565

Mata, he was on fire for chelsea until Mr anti football mourinho took over and preferred Oscar over him then sold to united but constantly played out of his favoured position for all his time here.

Zaha, signed by fergie but completely shafted by moyes and resurrected his career at crystal palace but was priced out of a more deserving move to a ucl club.

Van persie a little as well because he could have gone to city but choose us with fergie in charge and never flourished once fergie left and he probably would have faired better at city in the long run in all honesty

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
What hapoened to Adriano? I assume he's retired by now.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Michael Johnson at City. Kid had the world at his feet, a move to a bigger club than us beckoned and his body just completely caved.

Stayed on unable to play while the club transformed around him and had to retire at 24 only playing 5 games in 3 or 4 seasons.

Then had a period of depression and other non football problems.

OverratedOpinion

Michael Johnson at City. Kid had the world at his feet, a move to a bigger club than us beckoned and his body just completely caved.

Stayed on unable to play while the club transformed around him and had to retire at 24 only playing 5 games in 3 or 4 seasons.

Then had a period of depression and other non football problems.
He was fecking sensational for his first 6 months of his first season.

FatTails

Ronaldo, having to play in the EL, after 47 consecutive years in the CL :( Life can be so unfair

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Rooney. No matter how many times he tries to get away with it, there's always a CCTV camera catching him out!!

youmeletsfly

None. They are people I really don't know. I can't feel "bad" for average brained individuals fecking up their careers. What if they're idiots in real life? What if they're Benjamin Mendy?

Don't give a single feck what happens to them, to be completely honest.

In regards to bad career paths, there are a few like Pato, Balotelli, R9. I care as much to write this post, but this is where the buck ends.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Phil Jones comes to mind first, especially after that testimonial thingy. Chadwick as well, poor fellow.

With the likes of L. Ronaldo I'm not even sure who to be gutted for more — for him or for us that we've missed out on his absolute peak :( Same goes for van Basten even though he got a bit more time at the top — to retire at the age of 28 after missing two whole seasons... How did he manage to still win 3 Ballon d'Ors, I'll never understand.

And Adriano with the death of his father, he was a Haaland-esque figure — although he felt even more inevitable with his ridiculous shooting ability.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The Rock of Gibraltar no doubt eventhough Roy Keane has warned Sir Alex about it

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
What hapoened to Adriano? I assume he's retired by now.
His dad died and he never really recovered, spiralling into depression, alcoholism, partying and all the usual deflecting addictive practices.
Got it some trouble with the law as well although eventually he was cleared of the drug trafficking charge.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Dean Ashton. Broke his ankle while on international duty aged 23 and was never the same after that. Retired when he was 26. Robbed of a career.
He was a tidy player, wasn’t the quickest but had a lot of qualities to his game

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Deisler, Reus, Gotze. From United Phil Jones, Rashford in a way in terms of the expectation on him and how he was forced to play through injury, plus the racist abuse he continues to get.

Skills

Snitch
Deisler, Reus, Gotze. From United Phil Jones, Rashford in a way in terms of the expectation on him and how he was forced to play through injury, plus the racist abuse he continues to get.
Reus is a good shout. Arguably the most talented German player or at least forward of that generation, yet he didn't get to feature in their crowning moment.

You can say the same for Benzema as well.

midou

Many have been mention already, I would add Hargreaves - way better version of O'Shea, could have been great for us.

KTP_ZA

Sebastian Deisler
Robert Enke

And the plethora of youth products who were highly rated but struggled with injuries and faded into obscurity or were forced to retire before their career had even begun in earnest

B4Keane - Robson

Dean Ashton. Broke his ankle while on international duty aged 23 and was never the same after that. Retired when he was 26. Robbed of a career.
Good shout, seemed destined for a bigger club till he got injured. Reminded me of David Hirst, wonder what his career could have been like if we'd signed him when we tried (although it would've stopped us signing Cantona). Injuries sadly took a steadier and steadier toll on him.

GMoore23

Our very own George Best

If it wasn't for his Alcohol addiction, he'd have been the greatest player that ever lived.

Duane Dibley

Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Rather strange that on a Manchester United forum nobody's mentioned Munich.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Injuries: Jones, Bailly, Ramsey, Shaw, Eduardo, etc. no one else comes to mind right now but there's surely a lot of them

Had the talent to become a world beater: Pogba, Januzaj, Martial, Morrison, Bailly, Wilshere

Maguire for being a scapegoat of our season and receiving more abuse than I've ever seen a footballer receive and being memed to a point where people genuinely think he's a Sunday League player whilst he would be the best defender at any club in the PL except Pool and City.

Managers: Ole, same as Maguire basically, a very decent manager, the one who started our rebuild and did almost everything right until the emotional decision to bring back Ronaldo. He's 10 times the manager people like Rangnick or Lampard will ever be, but once social media decides on a narrative, it won't change. Same as Arteta, a very good manager labelled "lego Pep" here...
For managers to have a favourable narrative, personality is really essential. Ole's personality puts him much lower in the people's minds than he deserves.

Someone like Rangnick has the perfect personality to brainwash people into thinking that he's a brilliant manager.

Revaulx

A couple of ex United players whose careers were ruined by injury (at least one playing or England rather than us): Ian Storey Moore and Neil Webb
United alone has had too many to mention, but these two would be at or very close to the top of my guttedness list :(

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I know he could be a bit of a prick but Michael Ballack's career is littered with runner up medals. Never won a CL, WC or Euros despite reaching the final in all of them.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
2 players I feel absolutely gutted for:

Robert Lewandowski

Harry Kane

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Yeah Greenwood mate I feel gutted for you raping that girl.

demetre

I always felt gutted for Giuseppe Rossi. He had all the talent in the world to make it at Man Utd, but didn't get a proper chance. And then all the injuries that destroyed his career when he was 25 or something.