For those of us that remember?

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
Simple question
Would Docherty have got us that league title?
He had the team, they finished 3rd in 75-76, and he got us to two FA Cup finals
But was sacked because his affair with Mary Brown (the physio's wife) was made public, during that season chants of "Who's up Mary Brown" were often heard at home games.

simplyared

Simple question
But was sacked because his affair with Mary Brown (the physio's wife) was made public, during that season chants of "Who's up Mary Brown" were often heard at home games.
It was an exciting time with the Doc in charge and a fantastic achievement beating them scousers at Wembley 77. The Doc, with a young side, was a master on the transfer market bringing in the likes of Coppell, Hill, Pearson from the lower divisions. His style of play attacking 100 mph and very pleasing on the eye. Whether he'd have won us the league title, I doubt as Liverpool under Paisley were around then and a very strong team. Doubt if the young team we had, could have gone the distance with the Paisley machine. Clough's Nottingham side were also very strong and well managed outfit.
To think he got the sack for the affair with Mary Brown, who he lived together with for the rest of their lives.

Moriarty

Simple question
Yes. No doubt in my mind. United would have been champs by 1980 if the Doc had stayed. We were on an upward trajectory and with the addition of two or three players, we'd have done it.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
It was an exciting time with the Doc in charge and a fantastic achievement beating them scousers at Wembley 77. The Doc, with a young side, was a master on the transfer market bringing in the likes of Coppell, Hill, Pearson from the lower divisions. His style of play attacking 100 mph and very pleasing on the eye. Whether he'd have won us the league title, I doubt as Liverpool under Paisley were around then and a very strong team. Doubt if the young team we had, could have gone the distance with the Paisley machine. Clough's Nottingham side were also very strong and well managed outfit.
To think he got the sack for the affair with Mary Brown, who he lived together with for the rest of their lives.
He was married at the time as well to Agnes, although if you believe his bio, it on the rocks way before he met Mary.
They did eventually divorce and marry, spending many happy years together.

My memory is a bit foggy though, it was at the same time I spent many months away while in the Navy, I still have the impression we were Liverpool's bogey side and did quite well against them.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Probably not...at least without a major overhaul and the board weren't keen on spending a lot of money.

In his last season our final 14 (third of the season) games looked like this:

P14 W4 D4 L6 F20 A26 Pts 12

That included 0-4 at QPR...0-3 at Middlesbrough...and 2-4 at West Ham.

That's almost relegation form.

The FA Cup win papered over lot's of cracks.

black country red

Apparently by all accounts Tommy doc had already drawn his transfer list up it included Peter Shilton Tony currie and I think Malcolm Macdonald would have stood a good chance with those players

CallyRed

Simple question
:lol: