France national team | Martial ruled out due to injury, Lemar replaces him

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Can't remember a national team with so many talents. Having said that, how could they gel together? Because they just look a bunch of individual starlets atm.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
....Giroud thows a private party on a yacht with several of his lady-friends?

...They ask Zlatan to bless them?

ghagua

They need a better manager to get the best out of them.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Context

- Odd experimental team and tactics. Griezmann isn't a playmaker ala Platini.
- Some players like Jallet (3rd choice when he played for PSG) who haven't the level required
- France has no longer world-class defenders but France isn't alone in this case.

The pool of players remains good and promising so that it allows diverse tactical systems.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I guess that people use Germany, Brazil and Spain as benchmarks so:

- An actual leader needs to emerge and emulate Neymar.
- The most talented players are also the younger players and they need to gain experience at the highest level, particularly CL football.
- The french clubs need to keep or acquire more international level players and emulate Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich or Juventus.
- The manager needs to quit the "win now" mentality and ditch some of the older and ultimately incompatible players and give the priority to the young'uns. It probably means throwing away the 2018 WC.
- France need a DM, we only have one and he transformed Lyon, so select Tousart.
- There should be a discrimination by club for example, Lemar and Mendy should play together on the left.

JPRouve

Scout
I do agree, albeit he looks too defensive at times. Would love to see Jardim there.
The problem with this type of thoughts is that people forget that a national coach barely have the players with him, it's not the same job than a club manager. Puel and Jardim are both tracksuit managers, not only they would hate the job but the way they work doesn't suit the job either.

Blind

They need to build the team around the Monaco spine, forget about trying to control games with a holding midfielder and just run at teams with Kante in midfield and two proper wingers.

JPRouve

Scout
Get rid of arsenals bottlers. Koscielny and giroud.
Koscielny is scary, I have the image of a reckless player but Arsenal fans seem to like him.

Last edited:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Meh, more talented generations have come and gone without winning an international trophy. Brazil 1982, Italy 1994-2002, Netherlands 1998-2000, England 2004-2006, and Argentina 2006-2010 just to name a few.

France isn't guaranteed anything.

KN5

Meh, more talented generations have come and gone without winning an international trophy. Brazil 1982, Netherlands 1998-2000, England 2004-2006, Argentina 2006-2010 just to name a few.

With Deschamps they're guaranteed something, NOTHING! Kidding, but really they have so much talent they just need a competent coach to implement a system, the stars will shine alone.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Meh, more talented generations have come and gone without winning an international trophy. Brazil 1982, Italy 1990-2002, Netherlands 1998-2000, England 2004-2006, and Argentina 2006-2010 just to name a few.

Not sure netherlands and england generations were more talented

JPRouve

Scout
What are the teams that people would like to see?

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Koscielny is a scary, I have the image of a reckless player but Arsenal fans seem to like him.
Harsh. Albeit i know he is very limited, Giroud has done very well for France.
Talking about Koscielny, he has ups and downs, but overall he is quite a reliable CB.

Blind

Lloris​
Sidibe- Koscielny- Laporte- Mendy
Dembele- Kante- Pogba- Lemar
Griezmann- Mbappe​

I know there's quite a lot of potential midfield and attacking talent missing but that's the team I think would suit the personnel best. Matuidi would probably be a more sensible option than Pogba but you can't leave him out.

JPRouve

Scout
Lloris​
Griezmann- Mbappe​

I know there's quite a lot of potential midfield and attacking talent missing but that's the team I think would suit the personnel best. Matuidi would probably be a more sensible option than Pogba but you can't leave him out.
That's more or less the current team, for France the 4231 is a 442 with Lemar instead of Payet and Mbappe instead of Giroud. That team isn't a favorite for a tournament at least not in the short term, the team as 24 years on average and you have only 5 players with more than 10 selections which are also the only players with more than 15 CL games. Also there is zero leader in that team.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The team has a bright future with many young talents that aren't proven winners yet. I rate Spain, Germany and Brazil at least as high at the moment.

They will reach their full potential when more players become key members of the best clubs in Europe and when some players emerge in the weakest positions.

Fenomeno9

Lloris​
Griezmann- Mbappe​

There is no guarantee that works on the pitch though. I always say this in regards to international futbol. A coach should play the best team that fit his tactics and if they are performing for France. For example, if Sissoko performs for France and Pogba doesn't. Pogba should sit even if he is far more talented and the better player. This is just an example BTW.

Blind

That's more or less the current team, for France the 4231 is a 442 with Lemar instead of Payet and Mbappe instead of Giroud. That team isn't a favorite for a tournament at least not in the short term, the team as 24 years on average and you have only 5 players with more than 10 selections which are also the only players with more than 15 CL games. Also there is zero leader in that team.
Admittedly the friendly last night was the first time I've watched France since the Euros but it seemed like a pretty awkward formation with hardly any width and Griezmann in a more creative role that he's not really suited to. With a 442 I think the attack would look far more threatening with both strikers breaking forward and proper width provided by two of the most promising wingers in Europe.

JPRouve

Scout
Harsh. Albeit i know he is very limited, Giroud has done very well for France.
Talking about Koscielny, he has ups and downs, but overall he is quite a reliable CB.
It's irrational but he scares me, in my mind he is good for a penalty or dangerous free kick and a terrible challenge per game, I also have the impression that he is good in the air but will regularly lose his man. But I don't watch Arsenal regularly so it's probably not an accurate view.

And yeah, Giroud is a good player and he is reliable but I don't like his style

Admittedly the friendly last night was the first time I've watched France since the Euros but it seemed like a pretty awkward formation with hardly any width and Griezmann in a more creative role that he's not really suited to. With a 442 I think the attack would look far more threatening with both strikers breaking forward and proper width provided by two of the most promising wingers in Europe.
That's how France played during the last part of the Euro and in all the official games since but the two CMs don't work properly and the defense is shaky.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It's irrational but he scares me, in my mind he is good for a penalty or dangerous free kick and a terrible challenge per game, I also have the impression that he is good in the air but will regularly lose his man. But I don't watch Arsenal regularly so it's probably not an accurate view.

That's how France played during the last part of the Euro and in all the official games since but the two CMs don't work properly and the defense is shaky.
Afraid I called Koscielny a rude name last night, when he was coming off with a head injury and just as I thought Aymeric Laporte was going to get his cap, he ran back on and they promptly conceded again.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Koscielny is a scary, I have the image of a reckless player but Arsenal fans seem to like him.
I sort of have the same view. As an individual he is obviously a good defender, but as the senior defender in what would be a fairly green back-line, I'm not convinced he does enough.

Carolina Red

Staff
-------------Lloris
Sidibe-Varane-Laporte-Mendy

---Kante--Gonalons--Pogba

Dembele--Lacazette--Griezmann

Bench: Gamiero, Mbappe/Lemar, Tousart, Matuidi, Umtiti/Koscielny, Kurzawa, Areola

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
See Payet is another player I don't particularly rate. I know he did well in the euros, but it seemed like his presence on the pitch hinders more talented players from doing better.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Not sure netherlands and england generations were more talented
Van der Sar, Stam, De Boer, Davids, Seedorf, Overmars, and Bergkamp were all as good or better than their current French counterparts (Lloris, Koscielny, Umtiti, Kante, Pogba, Martial, Griezmann). Netherlands also arguably had better fullbacks in Reizinger and Gio (France's fullbacks don't impress me). Ajax won the CL in 95 with an almost entire young Dutch side, the current French side don't have any CL winners in their starting XI.

Having a great coach is absolutely vital, otherwise you could have the most talented squad in the world but it won't matter.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal

I admit he hasn't been that good this season, but it's our whole defence who has been fecking shit.

You just need to play to his strengths with Giroud.