Frank Lampard | Former Chelsea manager

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It was Lampards first real bump in the road. What is the point of appointing him in the first place if they were not willing to give him time?

It was not like that Chelsea team was going to walk the league
It actually wasn't, we lost 5 out of 8 (including home defeats to a broken WHU and Bournemouth's B team) around Christmas time last season and if we extend that run further 4 wins in 14. Yet he was given time/the benefit of the doubt due to the circumstances we faced.

Also, you do realise there's middle ground between walking the league and not doing the basics correctly? Apart from Mason Mount every single attacking player was struggling, when the numbers are that high there's only one place to look.

Grande

It actually wasn't, we lost 5 out of 8 (including home defeats to a broken WHU and Bournemouth's B team) around Christmas time last season and if we extend that run further 4 wins in 14. Yet he was given time/the benefit of the doubt due to the circumstances we faced.

Also, you do realise there's middle ground between walking the league and not doing the basics correctly? Apart from Mason Mount every single attacking player was struggling, when the numbers are that high there's only one place to look.
Patches of results like that in themselves doesn’t necessarily prove too much. The actual signs of development/stagnation/regression are more important, and you know those better than I do regarding Lampard. I know half of the people following Solskjær week in wek out like I do, have been unable to detect and interpret those signs at all. The important bit is wether the people in the club see them, on the training pitch, in the changing room etc. And of courae werjer the people in charge are competent to evaluate those signs. Regarding Ferguson, back in the day, they were. Regarding Solskjær, the sounds from behind the scenes implies that almost everyone has been delighted with the quality of Solskjær’s work that we fans don’t see. I get the faimt impression this is different with Lampard.

I’ll say this - I think Lampard did a very good job with Derby, and I thought he did a good job with Chelsea last season. So I’m not going along with those who like to say he is ‘clueless’, and I was surprised on his behalf that he was fired this soon (though perhaps not on Abramovitch’s behalf). But then again, the signs may have been clear as sunlight behind the scenes for all I know.

crossy1686

career ending
So from the fallout reports, Frank isn't a good man-manager and he isn't good at tactical analysis. So what is he good at? Blaming people seems to be up there.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

The summer signings have not had time to gel properly yet. Of course if Tuchel comes in now and gets you flying i can eat my words, but i still think its too soon.

Lampard delivered CL football last season which was par for the course. I would have waited a couple more months to see where things were heading

Tuchel seems decent, but its not like winning ligue 1 with PSG is a big achievement

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The summer signings have not had time to gel properly yet. Of course if Tuchel comes in now and gets you flying i can eat my words, but i still think its too soon.

Lampard delivered CL football last season which was par for the course. I would have waited a couple more months to see where things were heading

Tuchel seems decent, but its not like winning ligue 1 with PSG is a big achievement
Maybe not hugely but you still need to be a top manager to maintain dominance as Pirlo and Lennon are demonstrating in their respective league's. Also Ancelotti and Emery failed to win the title first time of asking at Paris (neither of whom are bad managers by any stretch of the imagination) so it's not as impossible as people think.

I don't think we can expect miracles from Tuchel this season (although the performances from the last couple of months will hugely improve) but next season I think he/we will surprise people.

I’ll say this - I think Lampard did a very good job with Derby, and I thought he did a good job with Chelsea last season. So I’m not going along with those who like to say he is ‘clueless’, and I was surprised on his behalf that he was fired this soon (though perhaps not on Abramovitch’s behalf). But then again, the signs may have been clear as sunlight behind the scenes for all I know.
I do agree with that, people can harp on with "3rd to 4th" as much as they like but given we lost an elite level game changer dropping one place and 6 points isn't bad, compare that to Liverpool after losing Suarez and it's night and day.

RashyForPM

Wonder where he’ll go next. A top tier Championship club? Palace when Hodgson retires? Brighton? He’s clearly no better than a low level PL manager now, but he can improve with time.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Wonder where he’ll go next. A top tier Championship club? Palace when Hodgson retires? Brighton? He’s clearly no better than a low level PL manager now, but he can improve with time.
Given he did quite well last season with limited expectations placed on him I could actually see him doing reasonably well at one of them clubs.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Conviniently ignoring the club he supposedly supports? Loads wanted Ole sacked last season. That does not mean it was the right call

It was Lampards first real bump in the road. What is the point of appointing him in the first place if they were not willing to give him time?

It was not like that Chelsea team was going to walk the league
That account doesn’t support Manchester United. Read through the tweets. It’s some opposition fan troll who intentionally hates everything about the club because we sacked Mourinho and play players like Rashford and Fernandes.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I just don't buy that really. Everyone on the bench and pitch was shouting for Werner to take the pen yesterday, that does not happen if the squad is split.
Half wanted him to score it, the other half knew he’d miss it.

Mainoldo

Everton are doing well at the moment + they have Ancelotti who's an experienced manager. Villa will probably start dropping points at some point (i think? :angel: ) while West Ham are massively overachieving.
Chelsea needs to go on a crazy win run if they want to have a chance for the top 4 spot which I very much doubt they could do with Lampard at the helm.
Both Everton and Chelsea have been top of the league this season. It wasn’t that risky to think in 6 weeks time that same team couldn’t be third. But it is what it is. He was never good enough for the job but doesn’t mean he couldn’t get them top 4 again. Maybe Chelsea should have followed United’s approach with Ole for this season. It’s worked so far.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That account doesn’t support Manchester United. Read through the tweets. It’s some opposition fan troll who intentionally hates everything about the club because we sacked Mourinho and play players like Rashford and Fernandes.
It's probably some guy, likely a United fan, who found a niche spot in the market for his kind of rhetoric. He probably has another twitter account where he can be himself and chat about football like a normal person. There are loads of crap Chelsea accounts who are exactly the same. Feed the negativity, always going against the grain, never happy, never satisfied yet present themselves as unsentimental realists and analytical gurus.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
If I were a Chelsea fan I would be super pissed that the club sacked Frank. He should have been given more time. But Chelsea will Chelsea under Abramovich.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's probably some guy, likely a United fan, who found a niche spot in the market for his kind of rhetoric. He probably has another twitter account where he can be himself and chat about football like a normal person. There are loads of crap Chelsea accounts who are exactly the same. Feed the negativity, always going against the grain, never happy, never satisfied yet present themselves as unsentimental realists and analytical gurus.
It’s not. It’s a definite troll who I’m almost certain does not support Manchester United. The account has been banned about 10 times. Some of the stuff he posts is pretty despicable.

Brad2020

It wasn't that hard to see it coming. He lacked the experience but more importantly....he lacked that connection and personal warmth with his players. They did not seem to want to play for him.

That and having an owner go out and literally buy a team in one transfer window, doesn't help either. You can only bring so many players into a squad at once before it messes with the continuity of the team.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Patches of results like that in themselves doesn’t necessarily prove too much. The actual signs of development/stagnation/regression are more important, and you know those better than I do regarding Lampard. I know half of the people following Solskjær week in wek out like I do, have been unable to detect and interpret those signs at all. The important bit is wether the people in the club see them, on the training pitch, in the changing room etc. And of courae werjer the people in charge are competent to evaluate those signs. Regarding Ferguson, back in the day, they were. Regarding Solskjær, the sounds from behind the scenes implies that almost everyone has been delighted with the quality of Solskjær’s work that we fans don’t see. I get the faimt impression this is different with Lampard.

Genuine question why do you think that? I know a number of Derby fans who will attest that he didn’t really do anything more than average at Derby and certainly didn’t exceed expectations. He had a number of premier league quality players such as Mount, Abraham and Wilson and really should have been getting promotion. Getting playoffs was par for the course for that Derby team.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Genuine question why do you think that? I know a number of Derby fans who will attest that he didn’t really do anything more than average at Derby and certainly didn’t exceed expectations. He had a number of premier league quality players such as Mount, Abraham and Wilson and really should have been getting promotion. Getting playoffs was par for the course for that Derby team.
Because he took over from a manager that from what i heard from Derby fans made Pulis look like Guardiola. So to maintain a position (then go one better in the play off) while doing a total style overhaul is a good achievement. Yes he got Mount, Tomori and Wilson (not Abraham) but he also had players like Carson, Keogh, Huddlestone and Nugent who spent almost their whole careers playing in basic/defensive systems.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Because he took over from a manager that from what i heard from Derby fans made Pulis look like Guardiola. So to maintain a position (then go one better in the play off) while doing a total style overhaul is a good achievement. Yes he got Mount, Tomori and Wilson (not Abraham) but he also had players like Carson, Keogh, Huddlestone and Nugent who spent almost their whole careers playing in basic/defensive systems.
Yeah, no idea why I said Abraham :lol: . Anyway, I don't think he did a bad job, but it certainly wasn't brilliant and wouldn't be enough for a Premier League club to look at him. As championship sides go that Derby team was decent and had a good chance to go up which would have been considered a good job and something befitting the praise he seems to receive for his role there. Derby have been known for the last decade as the 'nearly men' of the championship, getting to playoff after playoff but never managing that final step. I'm not sure merely repeating that same feat is a great achievement.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Well Lampard knew that "Chelsea's coaching model" is brutal.

But if you hire a club legend like him and he was of course not the finished article then you must give him more time (unless there were massive problems between him and the squad).

I would like to see him next as England U21 coach.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It’s not. It’s a definite troll who I’m almost certain does not support Manchester United. The account has been banned about 10 times. Some of the stuff he posts is pretty despicable.
Oh he's definitely a troll, there's no doubting that.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Not a great deal of sympathy. He bought poorly and he never at any point looked happy or enthusiastic. If ever there is an ex-player made for media it is Frank. His players looked devoid of confidence also.

RashyForPM

Given he did quite well last season with limited expectations placed on him I could actually see him doing reasonably well at one of them clubs.
I think his work with Derby where he just about met his objectives and last season with you lot when he exceeded all 6th place expectations shows that he works better with ‘lesser’ players.

Then you have this season where the coin was on the opposite side as well, basically confirming that theory. Abraham and Mount played far better for him than Werner and Havertz, and even Willian probably had a better last season than Ziyech this season. Pretty strange but it feels like all mid-table managers are like that.

AkaAkuma

Whats his motivation now? Id assume he's already acheived what he wanted - manage Chelsea. So will he punt around random clubs or just go into punditry?

Tony247

He did good last season considering his first season as a manager in PL. His team was playing some good football until they almost choked towards the end.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Whats his motivation now? Id assume he's already acheived what he wanted - manage Chelsea. So will he punt around random clubs or just go into punditry?
That's not really how it works. I'd bet Ole's dream was to manage Man United, he's done that so his dream evolves into being successful with Man United and if he's not, he won't be happy.

There's no way in a million years Frank's thinking that he's achieved what he wanted to as a manager just because he had the Chelsea job for 18 months.

Top sportsmen like Frank or Ole were and are always looking to be the best they can (they might not do it but they try) rather than hit a particular goal and then be done.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think his work with Derby where he just about met his objectives and last season with you lot when he exceeded all 6th place expectations shows that he works better with ‘lesser’ players.

Then you have this season where the coin was on the opposite side as well, basically confirming that theory. Abraham and Mount played far better for him than Werner and Havertz, and even Willian probably had a better last season than Ziyech this season. Pretty strange but it feels like all mid-table managers are like that.
Yeah he for all intents and purposes did a middling to big club move last summer when you factor the expectation shift. It's a weird one though as you can put the likes of Moyes and Roy struggling to adapt to the cutthroat expectation's at the top due to having little to no exposure of it, Frank on the other hand lived and breathed such high demands as a player so i would have thought he'd be perfectly prepared.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Seems it was a rebellion from the older players against Frank opting for the youth...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/13851295/chelsea-rudiger-clashed-azpilicueta-lampard/

Not a good look from the senior squad.
The Rudiger thing is so bizarre because Lampard actually dropped an academy player to parachute Rudiger straight into the first team the minute he returned from injury last season and he was basically ever present despite being an absolute calamitous liability for a lengthy period, especially during project restart. He eventually lost his place this season to ..... a 36 year old free transfer.

duffer

Scout
When he was there, its all over twatter, but some more reliable people calling it. Bust ups between Azpilicueta, Alonso and Rudiger in training and the latter actively trying to get Fat Frank sacked.
Rudiger and Alonso lost their places to Silva/Zouma and Chilwell, not youth players.

Maybe Giroud is pissed off about Tammy getting picked but he's the only one who can have a whinge, the rest of the senior players who have been in and out (Kova, Jorginho) have been, for the most part, utter dogshit this season.

I don't buy that Rudiger is a troublemaker about the kids, not at all. In interviews with the younger players, they all really like him.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Rudiger and Alonso lost their places to Silva/Zouma and Chilwell, not youth players.

Maybe Giroud is pissed off about Tammy getting picked but he's the only one who can have a whinge, the rest of the senior players who have been in and out (Kova, Jorginho) have been, for the most part, utter dogshit this season.

I don't buy that Rudiger is a troublemaker about the kids, not at all. In interviews with the younger players, they all really like him.
What is your take on it?

duffer

Scout
What is your take on it?
The whole thing? Lampard was unable to get whatever he wanted over to the players. The players probably lost confidence in Lampard and it's spiralled from there.

Some of the performances from some players were not coaching issues though. You could have Fergie or me as manager and that would not legislate for Werner clearing the ball off the opponent's goal line and then putting it over.

Integrating 6 new first teamers is not really something any experienced manager has done at a Champions League side (that I can remember). Bit off more than he could chew with that one. If we'd only signed Silva and Mendy he'd probably still have a job.

I don't buy into there being a massive division between the experienced and young players and sll the new signings are playing (probably too much) so they can't be pissed off about not getting minutes.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The whole thing? Lampard was unable to get whatever he wanted over to the players. The players probably lost confidence in Lampard and it's spiralled from there.

Some of the performances from some players were not coaching issues though. You could have Fergie or me as manager and that would not legislate for Werner clearing the ball off the opponent's goal line and then putting it over.

Integrating 6 new first teamers is not really something any experienced manager has done at a Champions League side (that I can remember). Bit off more than he could chew with that one. If we'd only signed Silva and Mendy he'd probably still have a job.

I don't buy into there being a massive division between the experienced and young players and sll the new signings are playing (probably too much) so they can't be pissed off about not getting minutes.
Yeah a combination of a newish manager and too many players too soon is my take on it. I don't think Tuchel will be much of an improvement if I am being honest.