Frank Lampard | New Diary of a CEO interview

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He deserves credit for sorting that defence out, but, like so much relegation fodder before them, they can't score for shite and Lampard looks out of ideas. Having Calvert-Lewin back doesn't seem to be helping much, and unsurprisingly, Maupay who has spent most of the past few seasons missing chances for Brighton isn't the answer either.

Probably going to find themselves in a proper relegation scrap again and Lampard has to be on thin ice now that the glow of 'not being Rafa Benitez' is slowly wearing off and they're still pretty much at the same level as they were under señor fachts.
He’s still well liked by the fans. The lack of goals is due to lack of investment which is seemingly out of Lampard’s hands. They’ll be fine, 14th place finish or so I reckon.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s fine margins in football. They put together a lovely move just after halftime, Iwobi in his new role, doing everything right and slipping DCL through, but he looks extremely rusty and unsure of himself.

They would be looking to get minutes in his legs and try and build up his confidence again, but instead, will have to break for the World Cup.

It was an even game today and one side took their chances.

Mr. Robot

Wolves have Lopetegui, Villa have Emery and Everton persist with Lampard :houllier:

Their fans hounded out the likes of Silva but stick with this fraud.

World’s gone mad.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
A failed Championship manager is unsurprisingly not upto managing a Premier League side. It is amazing he's still there.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
They play Bournemouth away on Saturday away from home again. That will be the acid test, lose that then he could be in trouble. Win and tonight was justified to him.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
He deserves credit for sorting that defence out, but, like so much relegation fodder before them, they can't score for shite and Lampard looks out of ideas. Having Calvert-Lewin back doesn't seem to be helping much, and unsurprisingly, Maupay who has spent most of the past few seasons missing chances for Brighton isn't the answer either.

Probably going to find themselves in a proper relegation scrap again and Lampard has to be on thin ice now that the glow of 'not being Rafa Benitez' is slowly wearing off and they're still pretty much at the same level as they were under señor fachts.
The addition of James Tarkowski & Conor Coady is what sorted the defence .. I don't know if Lampard can take credit for that !!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The addition of James Tarkowski & Conor Coady is what sorted the defence .. I don't know if Lampard can take credit for that !!
Lampard tracked Tarkowski at Chelsea and Coady likely joined due to Lampard as much as the club and him being a scouser.

Anyway, I like Lampard but if he doesn’t win this weekend it might be curtains for him. I think he’s trying to do the right things and up until Fulham/Leicester/Last night we looked like we had enough to stay up but those three games have worried me immensely and all the good things he’s brought to the club seem to be disappearing quicker than they are functioning.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Lampard tracked Tarkowski at Chelsea and Coady likely joined due to Lampard as much as the club and him being a scouser.

Anyway, I like Lampard but if he doesn’t win this weekend it might be curtains for him. I think he’s trying to do the right things and up until Fulham/Leicester/Last night we looked like we had enough to stay up but those three games have worried me immensely and all the good things he’s brought to the club seem to be disappearing quicker than they are functioning.
Frank Lampard or any other manager needs time to change the culture at Everton & I'm not sure the club will give him the time or allow him the power to make those changes. They have been a club always looking for the easy fix but never prepared to do the hard miles.
I really don't know if Frank is a capable coach/manager but Everton was never the place the place to prove it.

IrishBlue1

Supports
Everton
The forward line is awful and takes no pressure off the defence/midfield.
You’re not going to get many goals from Maupay, Gray, Gordon, McNeill, Rondon, and DCL can’t stay fit.

The summer buys for defence and midfield were decent but woeful for attack. It says a lot when Iwobi has the most assists and all of the the strikers combined have 2 goals between them and we’re near December.

The football hasn't progressed under Lampard either, I’m not sure what the plan or style is. We’re a lot more solid at the back than last year thanks to Coady and Tarkowski but if some games were 3 hours long I doubt we could still score.
I mean pinging Maupay with crosses all game just isn’t going to work. We needed more attacking players in the summer but spent £25m on McNeil and Maupay. Poor business.

We also concede a huge number of shots per game and if you can’t score then it’s a huge problem.
The squad is still full of crap too, Keane, Mina (can’t stay fit) Holgate, Townsend, Doucoure, Davies, Rondon.

The damage had been done over a number of years before Lampard came along.
I’d settle for 14th place this year, get rid of more deadwood in the summer and slowly rebuild. But we’re just too easy to play against, a non existent forward line and a midfield you can run through. Opponents know we’re crap up front and that they’re going to get chances.

NoPace

As well as Iwobi is playing, I think their best team is probably Gordon wide left, Calvert-Lewin and Maupay up top (they can both drop deep as Calvert-Lewin can do it off of long balls and clearances and Maupay when they're in possession and the ball is on the ground) and Iwobi narrow on the right, with either Garner or Gueye sitting and Onana box to box.

That would probably be my plan for next year, if things start to get ugly this year or as a plan B to score some goals.

You lose some control of games, but I do think that striker partnership is complimentary. Key would be when to drop Maupay and instead play a RW like they're doing now. And of course Calvert-Lewin staying healthy.

Other than that, I'm not sure there's a ton Lampard can do, apart from moving to 5 at the back with Godfrey coming back, but they don't have the attacking wingbacks to do it going forward.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Frank Lampard or any other manager needs time to change the culture at Everton & I'm not sure the club will give him the time or allow him the power to make those changes. They have been a club always looking for the easy fix but never prepared to do the hard miles.
I really don't know if Frank is a capable coach/manager but Everton was never the place the place to prove it.
Good point. Lampard might be shit but Everton needs a full cultural reset.

crossy1686

career ending
He'll be gone before the WC starts. Everton should have bit the bullet after he kept them up, after he got them into a relegation scrap in the first place.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Good point. Lampard might be shit but Everton needs a full cultural reset.
Lampard is trying but years of shit have led us into a position that’s really hard to get out of. If he can make it to the summer without relegation I think next season would be much smoother with more investment.

crossy1686

career ending
Lampard is trying but years of shit have led us into a position that’s really hard to get out of. If he can make it to the summer without relegation I think next season would be much smoother with more investment.
Are Everton really that bad though? They haven't got a worse team than at least 5 other clubs in the PL, they shouldn't be flirting with relegation.

Mr. Robot

Are Everton really that bad though? They haven't got a worse team than at least 5 other clubs in the PL, they shouldn't be flirting with relegation.
Everton fans have this weird fascination with Lampard. If they were playing this style of shit-on-a-stick football and getting these terrible results under the likes of Silva, Koeman, Benitez and Allardyce, they’d be frothing at the mouth.

But Tory Lamps, golden boy on Merseyside, can do no wrong. It’s all very strange.

The-Natural

Everton fans have this weird fascination with Lampard. If they were playing this style of shit-on-a-stick football and getting these terrible results under the likes of Silva, Koeman, Benitez and Allardyce, they’d be frothing at the mouth.

But Tory Lamps, golden boy on Merseyside, can do no wrong. It’s all very strange.
Agree it's bizarre.

A part of I think is because the fans basically appointed Lampard themselves. They made banners and specifically called for the board to give him the job so it's harder for them now to concede that he is crap. Also, there's no obvious person to replace him so facing the reality of having another dud gaffer is even harder to accept.

He's played the PR game with the fans beautifully despite zero improvement on the football side of things. I love Merseyside/ I am an Evertonian now and various other guff. Even saw a quote from him recently where he lightly suggested it's making him less of a Tory living there.

Somehow doubt that membership won't be getting renewed mind you.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
signing Maupey was a mistake. He’s so shite. I swear he only turns up against Arsenal

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

It's up front I worry for you. Maupay is not a prolific goalscorer and constantly losing DCL is not great. You lost Richarlison who was a bag of tricks, not really replaced him with quality.

Doracle

Lampard seems to have done an ok job so far. He’s tightened up the defence a lot and I think Everton will end up comfortably mid-table, if not very exciting to watch. Definitely far too early for him to be under pressure.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
He'll be gone before the WC starts. Everton should have bit the bullet after he kept them up, after he got them into a relegation scrap in the first place.
I remember his media buddies making it out like it was some incredible feat to keep Everton up last year where he was in large part (Benitez too, of course) responsible for them being in that position in the first place.

I don't get it either. He's not particularly likeable, his brand of football (if you can call it that) is boring and bland, and there doesn't seem to be any signs of progress. I don't quite understand the leeway he gets.

Mr. Robot

I remember his media buddies making it out like it was some incredible feat to keep Everton up last year where he was in large part (Benitez too, of course) responsible for them being in that position in the first place.

I don't get it either. He's not particularly likeable, his brand of football (if you can call it that) is boring and bland, and there doesn't seem to be any signs of progress. I don't quite understand the leeway he gets.
They’re still caught up in the “he was a world class midfielder therefore he will make it as a good, young manager” mindset when in fact he’s as average a manager as you could find. There are even Championship managers I would take over ‘Lamps’.

He will be fired by January/February anyway as his football stinks, his signings stink and they don’t win enough matches. Like, what is his style of football? At Derby he tried to play an high line and passing out from the back, controlling a match with possession. At Everton, he signed the worst possible centre backs for this in Coady and the other donkey. Plus he went for Maupay as his striker and Gueye in midfield so I don’t get it when Everton fans say “he needs a few years to build team in his image.” This IS his image, you’re looking at it.

I reckon he will manage in the Sky Bet again next season, flatter to deceive and disappear into obscurity along with Stevie G. There are far better managers available like Sean Dyche who I can see ending up at Goodison soon. He might not be a ‘sexy’ name but let’s face it, neither are Everton.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
They’re still caught up in the “he was a world class midfielder therefore he will make it as a good, young manager” mindset when in fact he’s as average a manager as you could find. There are even Championship managers I would take over ‘Lamps’.

He will be fired by January/February anyway as his football stinks, his signings stink and they don’t win enough matches. Like, what is his style of football? At Derby he tried to play an high line and passing out from the back, controlling a match with possession. At Everton, he signed the worst possible centre backs for this in Coady and the other donkey. Plus he went for Maupay as his striker and Gueye in midfield so I don’t get it when Everton fans say “he needs a few years to build team in his image.” This IS his image, you’re looking at it.

I reckon he will manage in the Sky Bet again next season, flatter to deceive and disappear into obscurity along with Stevie G. There are far better managers available like Sean Dyche who I can see ending up at Goodison soon. He might not be a ‘sexy’ name but let’s face it, neither are Everton.
Everton have no money. They signed cheapest available to them. They have many injuries too. They survived last season with lot of very good results. It looked like impossible for them with their fixtures. So it was achievement then he lost richarlison their only consistent performer in the run in.

So for he did as much as he could. You can't expect Everton do much better but i think Frank will be good for them. At least players want to do well for him.

phelans shorts

I don’t rate him but it’s impossible to suggest he isn’t doing pretty well this season. That squad at his disposal is absolutely dreadful.

His stock right now is probably as high as it will ever be.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Everton have no money. They signed cheapest available to them. They have many injuries too. They survived last season with lot of very good results. It looked like impossible for them with their fixtures. So it was achievement then he lost richarlison their only consistent performer in the run in.

So for he did as much as he could. You can't expect Everton do much better but i think Frank will be good for them. At least players want to do well for him.
This is complete bollocks. He should be doing much better, and definitely not be where they are currently.

IRN-BRUno

I don't see the point in playing a weakened side yesterday when they have 1 more game before the break. Tarkowski, Iwobi, Mykolenko, Gray, Onana can all have a month off soon, surely they could manage another 90 minutes? Pickford shouldn't be needing a rest, Coady has played pretty much every match for the last 5-6 years.
You have Charlton, MK Dons, Burnley, Gillingham and Lincoln through to the next round. Could possibly find yourself playing 2 of those in the next two rounds and there's a relatively simple path to the semi-finals.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I don't see the point in playing a weakened side yesterday when they have 1 more game before the break. Tarkowski, Iwobi, Mykolenko, Gray, Onana can all have a month off soon, surely they could manage another 90 minutes? Pickford shouldn't be needing a rest, Coady has played pretty much every match for the last 5-6 years.
You have Charlton, MK Dons, Burnley, Gillingham and Lincoln through to the next round. Could possibly find yourself playing 2 of those in the next two rounds and there's a relatively simple path to the semi-finals.
Really? For Everton, every point is vital, they are not at a point where a Carabao Cup would tilt the scales in favor of Lampard. Plus he has players who have 1 eye on the WC.

I get some people are hell bent on this "he doesn't "deserve" his current position" thing, but this isn't even the opportunity to make that point. All things considered I think he's doing a decent job with Everton given the resources at hand.

IRN-BRUno

Really? For Everton, every point is vital, they are not at a point where a Carabao Cup would tilt the scales in favor of Lampard. Plus he has players who have 1 eye on the WC.

I get some people are hell bent on this "he doesn't "deserve" his current position" thing, but this isn't even the opportunity to make that point. All things considered I think he's doing a decent job with Everton given the resources at hand.
It's one extra game before a month off. If they draw a top 6 side in the next round then yeah, maybe rest players there and focus on the league. Until that happens though why not actually attempt to win a trophy for the first time in however long.

Of those who missed last night there's only Pickford, Coady and Gueye who are likely to be going to the WC. Pickford could have played, Coady is not the type of player to go into a game half-hearted. It was a winnable game with plenty of possible ties against lower league sides next, I understand staying in the PL is a priority but there's absolutely no reason why they couldn't have gone close to full strength yesterday.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
He signed them both so yeah.
Players being signed while a manager is in charge & the manager being the driving force behind the signing are two different things.
Does Lampard call the shots on transfers? I don't know !!

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
This is complete bollocks. He should be doing much better, and definitely not be where they are currently.
Seriously? where you think they should be currently at. He took them over with disjointed unit who struggled. His first transfer window he didn't have money.

Their net sum of this window was just 20 mn euros after their good player moved out. Now make your own calculation where you feel they should be after the disastrous last season.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Seriously? where you think they should be currently at. He took them over with disjointed unit who struggled. His first transfer window he didn't have money.

Their net sum of this window was just 20 mn euros after their good player moved out. Now make your own calculation where you feel they should be after the disastrous last season.
The disastrous last season was also in part due to him.

edcunited1878

Lampard and Everton are where we all thought they would be...in a relegation scrap. 2 points above the drop zone after 14 matches.

His team isn't that good, but he finally resorted to a defensive minded setup aided by a couple of CBs who are comfortable defending and can be depended on a bit more than Mina and Keane.

Everton have to get results at home and ride their home support. Any corner and any strong challenge gets them going and the players feed off that much more than other sides when at home. Lampard isn't a good manager and he's within his level. Seen enough of him at Derby, Chelsea, and Everton to understand he himself doesn't have a specific idea(s) to evolve a team past what they previously did to make them compete or it just goes to shit like it did at Chelsea.