Fred and Set Plays

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
If that was a “bench” decision, I’m flabbergasted. Mata has literally scored about 5 or 6 of those for us, at least two in the dying minutes! I can’t even remember seeing Fred hit the target. Shambolic club.

LJJT

Fred taking that free kick was bizarre. It was Mata’s all day long I can’t understand why Mata wasn’t taking that. If it came from the bench then that is the only mistake Ole made tonight. Bad mistake mind you

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Mata screamed at the bench when he had to walk away from it.

@GifLord do you have a clip, please?

That's the level of decision-making that Solskjaer has. The type that makes Juan Mata scream at the bench in rage.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I don't think it was at an angle enough for mata to do anything there tbh. Fred has a shot on him and it was a gamble but gambles are there to be done. Mata will feel disappointed but it wasn't at an angle enough for him.

spiriticon

I am raging about this as well.

We had Andreas AND Mata on the pitch but fecking Mr Row Z takes it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don't think it was at an angle enough for mata to do anything there tbh. Fred has a shot on him and it was a gamble but gambles are there to be done. Mata will feel disappointed but it wasn't at an angle enough for him.
He does!?

NYAS

If that was a “bench” decision, I’m flabbergasted. Mata has literally scored about 5 or 6 of those for us, at least two in the dying minutes! I can’t even remember seeing Fred hit the target. Shambolic club.
Even if it wasn’t a “bench” decision and the players made that choice, I’d expect him to go berserk and assert his instructions on the players (which should have been “Mata takes the FK”). It’s shocking either way.

How many of Mata’s free-kick goals for us have you seen? How many were “at an angle”?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Good thing we just bought a guy who is fantastic at set pieces.

For all my reservations about his live play, his foot is world class

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Mata should demand that free kick. I guess he is too nice. Such a shame.

Josep Dowling

It had to be Mata that took it, then Pereira. I swear Fred hasn’t even got one on target before yet time and time again he gets the nod to take it. Really don’t get it.

izec

:lol: yeah no, on both accounts

Relevated

Even if it wasn’t a “bench” decision and the players made that choice, I’d expect him to go berserk and assert his instructions on the players (which should have been “Mata takes the FK”). It’s shocking either way.

How many of Mata’s free-kick goals for us have you seen? How many were “at an angle”?
Sorry I'm talking BS and trying to justify that decision. It's the only thing I can think of because they can't be stupid enough to not give it mata because they think Fred's better.

Relevated

When we got the free kick I was envisioning mata scoring that. Was shocked when I saw Fred and pereira over it.

Red00012

Lack of leadership.

It looked like DDG was moaning about it to Mata coming off the pitch.

RedIan

Fuming he took it. Worst decision ever. hes a shocking shot. 100% misses. Just stupid.

0le

Diabolical management to make Fred take the free-kick over Mata.

nainaisson

You should go to the Ukraine with him and help him find it. It must still be there, since neither I nor anyone else has seen it with him since he's joined United.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

I'm still fecking fuming. I accepted it was probably beyond us and that we rode our luck a bit to still be in it, but when we had the chance and we had Mata there it's fecking idiotic to let the man with shooting ability of Anderson take the freekick. There's no excuse for it.

stu_1992

Yeah really poor decision. Thsg position is practically tailor-made for Mata. He had history of doing it and in big games. Why let Fred who had never taken a decent one the entire time he was here? And this isn't just to bash him as I thought he had a good game but he's awful at Free Kicks.

MonkeysMagic

It may appear like a minor detail but is where the really good managers make the difference...the small detail! Given our shocking conversion rate from set pieces, it's a get out to always blame individuals when the collective isn't being taught properly.

AKDevil

Our social media channels literally posted a video of his free kick against Juventus either today or yesterday. That situation was a carbon copy.

Irrational.

Mata is like Ole: too much of a nice guy and easily argued away. He should've stood his ground as the most experienced outfield player on the pitch and demanded the ball.

That arguably cost us the tie, as I'm pretty certain Mata would've got that up and over the wall, and on target. With how shit Bravo is too.

Gutted.

Kostov

I was like screaming at the TV, please don't take it Fred please, I was telling my mate that he would probably smash Otamendi in the face. And bang, expected.

NYAS

It may appear like a minor detail but is where the really good managers make the difference...the small detail! Given our shocking conversion rate from set pieces, it's a get out to always blame individuals when the collective isn't being taught properly.
It’s so obvious though that it isn’t even a minor detail, it’s major! Look at how many people on here are talking about it.There was a great possibility it would have won us the tie in the end. Why can we see that and Ole can’t?

spiriticon

I mean, it's bleedingly obvious that when Mata is on the pitch he takes all the free kicks at close range. Long rangers are for Rashford.

If Mata is not on the pitch, Andreas takes them. If neither Andreas or Mata are on the pitch, sure anyone can have a free go EXCEPT Fred.

Fred should be behind De Gea in the free kick taking priority. Madre mia.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Absolute insanity. He's shockingly shit at shooting from that range, why would he get a shot at the freekick from there? He should be point blank refusing it, unless he's blissfully unaware how terrible he is at it.

I'm not gonna lie, he's been one of our best players recently no doubt, but he pisses me off. Stop shooting you idiot. Just stop it. Please.

Art Vandelay

Looking at the clip again I'm not convinced the bench made the decision to let Fred take it. Mata shouts to them then walks over to speak to Fred, Fred responds and Mata walks away then starts responding angrily to the bench shouting at him again. I think the bench might have told him to take it and Fred said no. I could be wrong, but I don't understand the angry response to the second round of shouting if they had already told him not to take it. What would they have been shouting after that to get the angry response? I think they were telling Mata to take it and he was angry at Fred refusing to let him. He didn't get angry until after he spoke to Fred.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I mean, it's bleedingly obvious that when Mata is on the pitch he takes all the free kicks at close range. Long rangers are for Rashford.

If Mata is not on the pitch, Andreas takes them. If neither Andreas or Mata are on the pitch, sure anyone can have a free go EXCEPT Fred.

Fred should be behind De Gea in the free kick taking priority. Madre mia.
Thing is, I genuinely thought that was what he was being brought on for!?

I mean it's not like we were going to get much time on the ball to carve them open... So yeah, I figure he's there as he's the best set piece taker we have

But if that isn't why he was brought on... We might as well have shoved Jones on so we could go long and win headers.

NYAS

He’s just said on BeIN sports that “the lads have been practicing that and I let them take the decision between themselves on the pitch”.

Unbelievable.

el3mel

This FK was by far the most annoying aspect about today's game. Still can't get my head how the feck he got this while Mata didn't even stand on that FK. It was only Fred and I think Lindelof ? Crazy. That's Mata's favorite position for feck sake. He pretty much always get it on target from such position. That was our chance and we fecking threw it away.