Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It doesn’t really matter what the media say.

They’ve suggested literally every single possible outcome so far.
I feel like we're going round in circles here and I'm not particularly bothered what you believe (I'm sure the feeling is mutual!). If you believe Barca are briefing that Chelsea are interested and can have him for less than us, and that Chelsea won't offer as much salary, to put pressure on us to pay more, then fair enough.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If you think about it, Covid and the war in Ukraine might make us miss out on de Jong. Covid caused the 17m wage deferral and the Ukraine war removed Abramovich and caused Boehly who seems to want to spend ridiculous money on everyone.

TheReligion

Abusive
I feel like we're going round in circles here and I'm not particularly bothered what you believe (I'm sure the feeling is mutual!). If you believe Barca are briefing that Chelsea are interested and can have him for less than us, and that Chelsea won't offer as much salary, to put pressure on us, then fair enough.
I’ve no idea what you are talking about here but it seems I may as well speak to a brick wall.

I believe, and I’ve said it several times now, that it’s in both De Jong and Barcas interest to have more than one club chasing the player.

The reason I believe that is because money is at the heart of this stand off and essentially money is what we’ll see it resolved.

De Jong will be in a better position to extract more money from United, perhaps even to compensate for what Barca wont pay him, if there’s a battle for his signature between different clubs. This narrative would also suit Barca as it would help to apply pressure and potentially absolve them from some additional financial obligations. They want this done quickly and have a timeline to consider.

Is the Chelsea talk real or fabricated? Who knows. What I’m saying is it’s better for Barca and De Jong if there’s more interest than just United.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
If you think about it, Covid and the war in Ukraine might make us miss out on de Jong. Covid caused the 17m wage deferral and the Ukraine war removed Abramovich and caused Boehly who seems to want to spend ridiculous money on everyone.
Well then think a bit further. Without Covid, Barca would be still the club with the highest revenue close to a billion. Messi would still play for us and there wouldn't even be a rumor to sell Frenkie ;)

led_scholes

Well then think a bit further. Without Covid, Barca would be still the club with the highest revenue close to a billion. Messi would still play for us and there wouldn't even be a rumor to sell Frenkie ;)
And by 2022 Messi would have taken 99% of the revenue, and the expenses would increase exponentially. If anything, Covid was a just good chance for Barca to blame all the previous financial mismanagement to it and save face.

OrcaFat

Think he'd definitely be a starter over Jorginho/Kovacic but I don't think he should be a priority signing for the club this summer.

I consider our current midfield options to be more than fine for another season. A rebuild will likely be needed next year should Kante, Jorginho or even both move on but without some outgoings I don't see the need for De Jong this year.

If (a big if) the club do go for De Jong, the only reasoning that makes any sense is they just want to plan in advance so the midfield doesn't have to go through a similar overhaul in one go as the CB department this summer where more than half of current options left simultaneously and it became very difficult to get good players in when everyone knows you're desperate for new signings. Even then it only really makes sense if Jorginho can be sold this summer because otherwise it just royally fecks over Conor Gallagher for whom Tuchel has already promised a role in the squad as a rotational player.
Does Jorginho want to leave? Trying to get rid would be a bit odd as he is particularly good, imo. Understand forward planning etc. but signing FDJ seems a real luxury at this point.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I’ve no idea what you are talking about here but it seems I may as well speak to a brick wall.

I believe, and I’ve said it several times now, that it’s in both De Jong and Barcas interest to have more than one club chasing the player.

The reason I believe that is because money is at the heart of this stand off and essentially money is what we’ll see it resolved.

De Jong will be in a better position to extract more money from United, perhaps even to compensate for what Barca wont pay him, if there’s a battle for his signature between different clubs. This narrative would also suit Barca as it would help to apply pressure and potentially absolve them from some additional financial obligations. They want this done quickly and have a timeline to consider.

Is the Chelsea talk real or fabricated? Who knows. What I’m saying is it’s better for Barca and De Jong if there’s more interest than just United.
A brick wall? You keep changing your argument. Read back to your earlier posts and you said de Jong would get a better deal if we think Chelsea are at the table.

I made an argument why I don't think that's the case.

You then continued the argument with a different argument which I'd already suggested ie that it would only make sense as to push up the transfer fee to Barca, maybe. But then I pointed out that they have asked Chelsea for less, so that doesn't make any sense whatsoever in the context of what you're suggesting.

The whole argument falls apart on the first hurdle for you, because they've apparently asked Chelsea for €80m, which is less than we've offered! So who is making up this story? De Jongs agent? Why? Trusted journalists have said the salary won't be an issue. We've not even discussed it yet either by all accounts. So why are they playing games before we've even sat down to agree anything? You think we'd go all summer, put all our eggs in one basket, then when it gets to the simplest part of the deal we'll suddenly risk losing him?

NewYorkRed

I’ll be honest I’m not a Neves fan but watching him closely today, and he is just miles better than what we have. We should get him in asap, and if we feel we need an upgrade next summer, so be it. We should have had that mindset to start with.

Acquire Me

Yeah but Mittens sources tends to be good ones.

Harry Redknaps source may well be different to his, and the Catalan outlets also say Chelsea is preferred.

All we have is "surely we would not wait this long if he didnt want us"
Yes that’s correct, but EtH does not strike me as someone who does stupid stuff. He is very to the point.

lex talionis

Generally, you’re absolutely correct that interest from multiple clubs results in a bidding war which is always good news for the selling club. But in this case it appears there is an agreement between two clubs and that the selling club are desperate to sell the player to the club with whom the transfer fee agreement has already been agreed. It’s highly unlikely Chelsea will come in with a higher fee offer, but it may well be that Frenkie would prefer Chelsea and if this is so Chelsea can offer well below what United have already agreed. But…do Chelsea really need Frenkie right now? Maybe, but I’m not so sure about that. They’ve got quality in midfield already but they’ll be looking to upgrade in a year or two, so perhaps they’ll upgrade now, but if they do that they’ll need to sell someone now as there’s no chance Frenkie will agree to being a squad player for Chelsea this season.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Does Jorginho want to leave? Trying to get rid would be a bit odd as he is particularly good, imo. Understand forward planning etc. but signing FDJ seems a real luxury at this point.
No he doesn't want to leave. In fact Jorginho would like to extend his contract, as confirmed by his agent last month, but it remains to be seen whether the club offer him a new deal or not. Always plenty of rumors about clubs in Italy being after him but so far there's been no actual offers.

Last season Jorginho wasn't quite as good as he was in 20/21 but I still think it would be quite harsh if the club started looking into selling him because there's a newer, shinier toy around. He just convinced his good mate Koulibaly to join him at Chelsea so they can continue their bromance. :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
A brick wall? You keep changing your argument. Read back to your earlier posts and you said de Jong would get a better deal if we think Chelsea are at the table.

I made an argument why I don't think that's the case.

You then continued the argument with a different argument which I'd already suggested ie that it would only make sense as to push up the transfer fee to Barca, maybe. But then I pointed out that they have asked Chelsea for less, so that doesn't make any sense whatsoever in the context of what you're suggesting.

The whole argument falls apart on the first hurdle for you, because they've apparently asked Chelsea for €80m, which is less than we've offered! So who is making up this story? De Jongs agent? Why? Trusted journalists have said the salary won't be an issue. We've not even discussed it yet either by all accounts. So why are they playing games before we've even sat down to agree anything? You think we'd go all summer, put all our eggs in one basket, then when it gets to the simplest part of the deal we'll suddenly risk losing him?
I’m not arguing anything. Just explaining why it’s beneficial to all of the other parties, bar United, to have competition for his signature.

You said you’re not bothered what I think just now so no idea why you keep dissecting it if I’m honest.

cyberman

Stop with the billlion nonsense. It only got close to that because PSG bought out Neymars release clause

Chief123

And you’d probably still have the President that got you into all this shit!

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Even if he stays he has the two generational talents they have coming through, busquets and kessie to compete with in midfield. He won’t get as much game time as he’d like in a World Cup year. Does Chelsea need him? We all know we really do need him, he’d be the player we build our whole team around, our issue is no CL. That’s why he could easily go Chelsea
Chelsea need him more than people might think. And with the strong interest you could get for Jorgihno from the teams that have been poking around …. You could be talking about sewing up a world class talent at that position for a net of like 50 or 60 instead of waiting to get raked on the coals for 100 plus for Rice, who we see as a long term CB solution more than a Kante/Jorgihno replacement anyway. One or two years with Kante and De Jong as first choice pairing …. The maybe Carney has developed to the point Carney/De Jong could be one of the best midfield pairs in Europe.

Yes it would make sense to me. Tuchel regards Jorgihno as too negative in his link up and going forward. And this would solve that. We are better going forward with Kova in paired with Kante, but we lose some security and technical surety … De Jong paired with kova, or even Gallagher, would solve that.

It works all the way around actually

Strootman's Finger

I’ll be honest I’m not a Neves fan but watching him closely today, and he is just miles better than what we have. We should get him in asap, and if we feel we need an upgrade next summer, so be it. We should have had that mindset to start with.
That's not how United works, if we get, whether he's good or bad, we are stuck with him for then next 6-8 years.

Green Yellow Red

Reading about United transfer news is one of the most tiring things in the sport. For the last decade...not even one signing we can praise as high as RVP... it shows you we are going south and other big clubs just operates like a real football club... they all keep adding to their squad while United just stick with same old shit every year yet pay the players astronomical wages. 50m net spending after our worst season is a joke if the Glazers had no intention of buying players then they should sell United to Elon Musk ;)

As for FDJ, for the life of me I can't believe how a huge club like Man Utd are salivating over a player as if he's the second coming. Having said that, I still don’t believe he’ll reject Ten Haag for Chelsea. The Chelsea links are coming out of Barca, they’re trying to pressure United to pay more.

OrcaFat

I’m not arguing anything. Just explaining why it’s beneficial to all of the other parties, bar United, to have competition for his signature.

You said you’re not bothered what I think just now so no idea why you keep dissecting it if I’m honest.
Competition is good for the player and the selling club, yeah.

But it does have to be proper competition. For example it’s not really competition if Barca start by demanding a lower fee than we’ve already offered/agreed, that’s just weird.

There’s plenty of smoke and mirrors going on but Chelsea don’t seem to have made an offer. De Jong hasn’t commented. Where’s it all coming from?

I dunno. Posting on forums is a (harmless) waste of time anyway but we’re really going to town in this thread.

It’s like being addicted to sawdust.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

But it does have to be proper competition. For example it’s not really competition if Barca start by demanding a lower fee than we’ve already offered/agreed, that’s just weird.

There’s plenty of smoke and mirrors going on but Chelsea don’t seem to have made an offer. De Jong hasn’t commented. Where’s it all coming from?

I dunno. Posting on forums is a (harmless) waste of time anyway but we’re really going to town in this thread.

I love the smell of sawdust (in the morning - with apologies to Lt Col Bill Kilgore aka Robert Duvall)

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!

In my opinion, it's definitely coming from the Barca side. UK Journos not really paying much attention to the links, passing them off in one liners in unrelated articles. Nothing really huge or standalone been done by anyone, and Chelsea seem transfixed on Fofana at the moment, going all out on him. Plus add in their need for a striker too... it's looking like it's Barca who are pushing for United to panic and pay his outstanding wages to get the deal done asap.

The fact that United are calm and content at the moment says that they're not really too worried about these links. If they were concerned, they'd either make a stronger push to sign him or walk away if his mind was truly made up.

Status
Not open for further replies.