Frenkie de Jong| Off to Barca - Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAFMUTD

I know he wouldn’t join us but I expect us to be at least interested.

We are really falling behind with this signings.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

Are we?

Just remember that we once signed the hottest midfield prospect in world football and never fulfilled his potential. Sometimes you actually need to evaluate long term value v purchase value. How many of these types of players have Barca bought only to find they dont quite cut the mustard? or how about Gotze at Bayern?

Just because a big club wacks a massive fee on a young player, doesnt mean they're instantly quality.

SAFMUTD

We are the richest club in the world and have been a disaster in the last 6 years and we desperately need a rebuild.

I sure expect us to be at least among the options when potentially world class youngsters are available. But instead the involved ones are Barca, City and PSG. Clubs that have been really succesfull the latest years, they keep improving and we keep falling behind.

Mcking

£75 million is not what City did with Stones. Its just under the 9th highest fee ever. So 10th highest fee ever.

If he's just a decent player he wont make it. He's being brought in to develop into the next Xavi/Iniesta etc
It is an initial £65m fee if I read correctly. Transfer fees has escalated since the days of Stones, and de Jong is a midfielder unlike Stones, so I think it is fair to compare both transfers.
As I said before, if he performs decently to a certain acceptable level, then he'd be considered a successful signing. He is no Iniesta nor is he Xavi and he might never reach those players peak level, but that wouldn't make him a flop or anything close to that - especially when you consider what those players would cost these days. I'd say he just needs to achieve a level that would be considered good enough for Barcelona and an acceptable level relative to the fee they paid for him.

Member 93275

Are we?

Just remember that we once signed the hottest midfield prospect in world football and never fulfilled his potential. Sometimes you actually need to evaluate long term value v purchase value. How many of these types of players have Barca bought only to find they dont quite cut the mustard? or how about Gotze at Bayern?

Just because a big club wacks a massive fee on a young player, doesnt mean they're instantly quality.
Isn't that what makes them so successful. Rinse and repeat until you got it right. Who cares about those who failed. Small clubs evaluate, large clubs see the bigger picture. They get the big players, rinse the failures, and reap the extra commercial income. No one remembers the Real Madrid failures, and they are plenty. They remember their epic run of CL wins with the players who succeeded.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ekeke

It is an initial £65m fee if I read correctly. Transfer fees has escalated since the days of Stones, and de Jong is a midfielder unlike Stones, so I think it is fair to compare both transfers.
As I said before, if he performs decently to a certain acceptable level, then he'd be considered a successful signing. He is no Iniesta nor is he Xavi and he might never reach those players peak level, but that wouldn't make him a flop or anything close to that - especially when you consider what those players would cost these days. I'd say he just needs to achieve a level that would be considered good enough for Barcelona and an acceptable level relative to the fee they paid for him.
He doesnt need to be exactly like Xavi and Iniesta, but if he's too far off that level they'll replace him eventually. Being bought for a high fee with big wages just makes it even more important that he plays like a player worth that.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
At least he's as lovable as those. Like Iniesta got applause from partisan Madrid fans because he's just too wonderful, Frenkie got applause from partisan Feyenoord and French fans because they just can't help themselves. The cynical and hateful assessments seem to come mostly from people who don't know this player at all and are just aiming at generics such as current market prices, hyping of players, other players who failed, the Eredivisie, or hoping that Barca will fail in general. Frenkie = Love, baby. For example, if you love football, you love Aimar, Pirlo, even it they wouldn't have made it at Barca. Frenkie is like Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets - not to be compared to directly in position and execution in the way that Xavi is only like Xavi, Iniensta like Iniesta and Frenkie like Frenkie. But in x-factor football intelligence and the technical ability to make it happen in the Ajax/Barca/Cruyff identity or whatever you want to name it. I'd have loved to see him play for Ajax for at least one year or maybe two, but on the other hand he is already too big for the Dutch league. In a way it will be easier for him at Barca, at Ajax and in the Dutch team he's the prime target for the opposition to neutralize, while at Barca this is not possible due to guys like Messi running about and needing attention.
A Dutch person that loves Iniesta? You sir, are a traitor to the crown. Madrid fans applauded him for scoring the winner in the final. We hate him!

Frenkie is a lovely kid though.

Ekeke

Difference with them is they were a few years older and came from a Liga club. I would think they realise De Jong will need some time to adjust, and with the players they currently have already in midfield he'll get that time.
Alcacer is also Spanish and probably the future of the national team up front, so you'd think he'd get more time than a foreign player.

Member 93275

A Dutch person that loves Iniesta? You sir, are a traitor to the crown. Madrid fans applauded him for scoring the winner in the final. We hate him!

Frenkie is a lovely kid though.
I'm a bit of an anomaly maybe. I'd have hated them to win that final. There are plenty of cynics in the Netherlands who hate everything related to Ajax and the Cruyff style, just because 020. If they would have won with the opposing style, it would have killed the Dutch football identity in favour of the more so called "realistic" football style, which in my opinion makes you just like anyone else except with a smaller population and potential. You have to be smarter, different, as a smaller country.

Mcking

He doesnt need to be exactly like Xavi and Iniesta, but if he's too far off that level they'll replace him eventually. Being bought for a high fee with big wages just makes it even more important that he plays like a player worth that.
If over the years, they think they necessarily need to upgrade him because a better player might be available, then good but that solely wouldn't make him a flop or anything close to that. One thing I'd say is certain though is that he won't be moved on just because he failed to get close to peak Xavi or Iniesta's level. They are signing nobody but Frenkie de Jong here, and the question is if he would ultimately be able to get to an acceptable level.

Ekeke

If over the years, they think they necessarily need to upgrade him because a better player might be available, then good but that solely wouldn't make him a flop or anything close to that. One thing I'd say is certain though is that he won't be moved on just because he failed to get close to peak Xavi or Iniesta's level. They are signing nobody but Frenkie de Jong here, and the question is if he would ultimately be able to get to an acceptable level.
Well just remember that Fabregas was considered a flop

ravi2

You have a point, we should at least be in the conversation when it comes to signing top talent.

CM

Excellent signing for Barca and the obvious destination for a player of FDJ's abilities. Even as a neutral I'm quite excited to see how he does.

Jib

I don't know if you are talking about Pogba's top level or anything, but what Barca just did with de Jong is no different from Man City with Stones, Sane or Man Utd with Martial for eg. They are just investing on potential without really knowing how good he could be, and I don't think they expect him to be Pogba or anyone's level. If he turns out to be a decent and successful signing for them - to a certain realistic level, then he'd be considered anything but a flop.
16 m per year ffs
More than Pogba, Modric, De Bruyne...

Grande

He was. I thought it was harsh and argued against it.

I actually only use it in response to other people talking about it.
It’s like the words under-/overrated. It only speaks about peoples expectations about other’s expectations or views about other’s views.

De Jong is going to be interesting to watch at Barca, provided he gets to play much of course.

Jib

He'll be a flop. He'll earns more than the best midfielders in the world :houllier:

Mcking

Well just remember that Fabregas was considered a flop
Well he was signed as a midfielder and ended up playing a lot in attack iirc because he couldn't really displace the guys in midfield. I expect de Jong to be first choice in no time, and I think they'd stick with him if he reaches a level that is considered good enough. It is much easier to look good in a team that is winning. But the wage though....
16 m per year ffs
More than Pogba, Modric, De Bruyne...
That can't be true right? Apparently €10m + €6m bonuses. Huge money though, didn't expect that.

Patrick08

United should be much more aggressive on the transfer market like this, aiming at the next stars. First, buying established players is a risk too, see Sanchez, Di Maria, etc. Second, the risk is not the transfer sum. See Di Maria, it's the buy minus the sell price. If Coutinho or Dembélé don't quite make it at Barca, they will be sold at a loss but still for a substantial amount of money. So they buy a couple, some don't make it and some will, and it's worth it for those who will. They wouldn't have them if they didn't take the risk on the market. They will have their next big team, or at least they show the ambition. Maybe that's what I find currently lacking at United. But I guess we'll have to wait until the summer, new manager, new funds.
The owners handed the club to a clueless man called Woodward, who is so slow and reactive and running the club into ground since day he took over.

Patrick08

City are cursed when it comes to getting a new DM. Jorginho, Fred, now De Jong. Pep should just convert Stones into a DM.
I believe the Ffp investigation have their hands tied in the market about how much they can spend on one player.

quackattack

At our club, de Gea and Pogba are two such players. Kids want to be like them.
And hopefully some of the homegrown's too (Pogba is, but don't feel he is a Manchester kid).

90 million. That's just insane fee for a player playing in Dutch league and only good team he played against in CL was Bayern and he was just decent in that game.
They probably buy him because of the potential, but the price for potential is high. Regardless, it's not like United ever has done that.
If only we could do the same thing with De Ligt..
This would be a dream signing, at least for me.
Who will Ajax replace him with?
Someone from their academy, isn't it what they always do?
He is gonna flop.
overrated.
A bit early on the predictions there:P
We've got Andreas Pereira and Scott McTominay,relax.;)
Oh, we are all set for a new CL title then. Thanks for reassuring me;)

staniswin

They've bought some duds too in recent years. Mina, Turan, Gomes, Digne, Paulinho and Deulofeu are already gone, all recent buys. Their big buys recently: Malcolm hasn't exactly set the world on fire, Coutinho has been underwhelming, so has Dembélé.

Now they pay a crazy amount of money for a rather unproven player from the Eredivisie and they are suddenly a proper football club?
I agree. They've wasted so much money on players that have barely played or had any kind of impact. Players like Gomes, Turan, Malcom and Paulinho were not cheap and were useless signings.
They bought duds and got rid of them immediately. We bought duds and they stinking the place out for decade and hope the manager can motivate them enough to break their limits.We don't run like a proper football club should, we run like a business company.

Last edited:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Closing this now. Please discuss this further in football forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.