Frenkie de Jong| Off to Barca - Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Really think hes a good player, but I don't understand why we would be in for him now just after signing a third CM in as many summers and with Pereira on the books

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I can't read Dutch, can you translate the article ❤
The names of Real Madrid and Manchester United have now been added to the long list of European top clubs who have officially reported themselves to the midfielder Durson or Ajax.

Overmars
"I can neither confirm nor deny this", Dursun replies to the question whether Real Madrid and Manchester United have reported to him. "You have to ask Marc Overmars because I send all the clubs that report to me to him."

As a result, clubs that want to outperform the competition immediately want to do business with Dursun about the personal demands of De Jong bot. The agent may not want to talk to clubs until they have an agreement with Ajax.

Cassidy

Gets Busquet's comparisons. He plays like he's immune to any type of press. Deep lying playmaker type, silky passer but probably a better eye for a killer pass than Busquets. Everything you'd expect from an Ajax product.

Indeed, he gets compared to Busquests quite a bit, but he seems to me a cross between Busquests and Iniesta, hes a really good passer and dribbler too.
Interesting that hes played CB quite a bit, hopefully then that would mean a deep lying playmaker would be his eventual long term role which we do need

EDIT: I still think he ends up at Barca

In a way you could say he is similar to Pogba but with better defensive awareness maybe

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Really think hes a good player, but I don't understand why we would be in for him now just after signing a third CM in as many summers and with Pereira on the books
If he's like Busquets maybe we'd be looking at him as a long term successor to Matic. Think likelier destination is Barcelona or even City.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Great technique. good acceleration and speed in general. Very good eye for players and space. can turn on the spot and can dribble out of any press and past multiple players carrying the ball up the pitch. Great passing in short quarters, but imo the precision in his final ball and long ball is lacking (relatively). good defensive cover, and decent in the press. Not a Mourinho player though and wouldn't work with a Pogba, as they ideally occupy similar roles in carrying the ball forward (at least that's still how I envision Pogba's best role). As a DM I feel he needs a box-to-box, aggressive pressing player ahead of him, and a more creative midfielder for the final third. He really is fantastic at orchestrating play from a deeper position though

Think the prices being named in the press are definitely getting out of hand, but I'm not complaining.

Doubt he'd ever have the physique for teams wanting him for a traditional 6 type, but as a Busquets-Modric hybrid who could probably play in either role I think he has it in him to be great

Cassidy

If he's like Busquets maybe we'd be looking at him as a long term successor to Matic. Think likelier destination is Barcelona or even City.
I can see him at City... sigh

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s top top tier. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him not be interested in the way Jorginho made those sorts of comments. I think he’s already made sort of ‘Barcelona or nothing’ comments in the past.

Either way, hope City don’t get him.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
[youtube]
This is probably the most comprehensive youtube video of him

Cassidy

Thinking about it, he could easily play the role Fellaini does in our side right now with the added benefit of being able to pick passes from deep?

SATA

He has the adaptability to drop back and play as a centreback if needed to when i see Ajax line up, says a lot of his versatility. If we aren't going to sign the likes of Willian, then these are the profile type of players that we should be looking to sign. Edwin VDS works at Ajax as a director or something, so i'm pretty optimistic we can get him if we want the player with Edwin putting in a good word

ShoePolish

Think we might look at him as alternative to Neves, if former proves to be too pricey or other club snatches him.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Lovely player, there's no way he doesn't need another season at Ajax after this year though. Hype might get too much and the money might be too big for him and the club to refuse in the end.

Article is your typical Telegraaf spin with a sensationalist angle, talking about a load of big clubs being interested in him, now including United and there's Real Madrid who apparently want to pay 80 million for him.

He's also not suited to play in defense at all other than against relegation fodder. As we saw yesterday against PSV.

Aloysius's Back 3

As much as I don't like Jose - he has one tactic done right recently & one I want to see continue.

Whilst Fellaini is played as the 3rd central CB inbetween 2 CB's to add some height & power - I'd love to see this guy play as a false CB to add technicality to two strong CB's instead.

That's how we should be playing 352 - a false CB & a false number 9 with 2 traditional CB's & 2 strikers on either side.

I've seen this guy pass & dribble from deep & if he has the protection behind him; he could do wonders to initiate play. His able to get past people in deep midfield itself is fantastic. He also has the basic ability to drop in to defence & provide a quantity increase in to a back 2 to allow them to spread out when we are on the back foot.

Last edited:

The Irish Connection

Excellent player from what I’ve seen. The next modric for me, I’ll be disappointed if we don’t seriously try for him and devastated if he goes to city.

That being said, I think pereira can get close to his level with time.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Wow this is right up there with Pogba's awesome Juventus highlights in youtube. Sign him at all costs!

@Ajax fans. Is he your best player at the club? Or is it de Ligt?
A lot of that compilation was out of position as well (playing cb), check out some of his full match highlights of this season on the midfield, for example:

vs france:

vs kiev

coming on for in the second half for his national team debut vs Peru

And no, De Ligt is our best player and then, or maybe alongside, Ziyech. I'd put Frenkie third, although Tagliafico might be consistently better, but not quite as amazing at his best.

Basically

De Ligt
Ziyech
Frenkie/Tagliafico
Tagliafico/Frenkie
Tadic
Onana
Neres
Blind

vaguely that order, though it's fairly close together below tagliafico

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He has the adaptability to drop back and play as a centreback if needed to when i see Ajax line up, says a lot of his versatility. If we aren't going to sign the likes of Willian, then these are the profile type of players that we should be looking to sign. Edwin VDS works at Ajax as a director or something, so i'm pretty optimistic we can get him if we want the player with Edwin putting in a good word
We would be competing with clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona. And I´m not sure we are very attractive to young dutch players at the moment. Probably any young player, but even less a player from a team with the football philosophy that Ajax have.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
He's also not suited to play in defense at all other than against relegation fodder. As we saw yesterday against PSV.
his best match at CB was last season agains PSV at home though. It's more than he should never play centre back alongside a player like Blind, rather than a De Ligt. De Jong and Blind simply aren't complimentary at all in their skillsets. They have the same weaknesses defensively, and those are exactly PSV strengths offensively (not that De Jong shares Blind's lack of pace btw)

el3mel

Another midfielder ? Unless we're replacing Pogba, money should definitely be going elsewhere.

SATA

A lot of that compilation was out of position as well (playing cb), check out some of his full match highlights of this season on the midfield, for example:

vs france:

vs kiev

coming on for in the second half for his national team debut vs Peru

And no, De Ligt is our best player and then, or maybe alongside, Ziyech. I'd put Frenkie third, although Tagliafico might be consistently better, but not quite as amazing at his best.

Basically

De Ligt
Ziyech
Frenkie/Tagliafico
Tagliafico/Frenkie
Tadic
Onana
Neres
Blind

vaguely that order, though it's fairly close together below tagliafico
Cheers mate. I'll take a look at all those as soon as i get the time! I'm in love with the player already

I'm surprised that Blind is quite far down the pecking order. I rate him very highly when he was at United. Great technical player. Any reason why he's mostly playing as a centreback at Ajax?

izec

Wouldnt mind overpaying for him and De Ligt. Top talents, but i doubt we will get either of them. Every top club will be in for him come the summer

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
his best match at CB was last season agains PSV at home though. It's more than he should never play centre back alongside a player like Blind, rather than a De Ligt. De Jong and Blind simply aren't complimentary at all in their skillsets. They have the same weaknesses defensively, and those are exactly PSV strengths offensively (not that De Jong shares Blind's lack of pace btw)
Yeah he's alright playing there for Ajax against weaker teams in a Eredivsie where Jorrit Hendrix is looking like a prime Fernando Redondo at times. But no one in his right might would have this guy at Real playing as a CB against Atletico, and in the PL I doubt even Guardiola would be crazy enough to consider it. He's just about as pure a central midfielder as you'll ever see in terms of skill set.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Yeah he's alright playing there for Ajax against weaker teams in a Eredivsie where Jorrit Hendrix is looking like a prime Fernando Redondo at times. But no one in his right might would have this guy at Real playing as a CB against Atletico, and in the PL I doubt even Guardiola would be crazy enough to consider it. He's just about as pure a central midfielder as you'll ever see in terms of skill set.
I agree that it would be a waste of his skillset anyway, and also that I probably wouldn't risk it in a bigger league either. I think Guardiola would do it, but only as a tactical trick every once in a while, rather than him ever being seen as an actual centreback. Like I said though, the game yesterday doesn't prove that he can't do it there against teams of PSV''s quality, when that's exactly the opponent he played that role the best against last season

CM

He certainly has all the makings of a special player. I'd be surprised if he ended up at anywhere other than Barcelona though, and unfortunately I don't think another midfield signing will be on the agenda at United for a while yet.

Aloysius's Back 3

Whilst Barcelona have historically played football with what Frenkie de Jong is associated with - I don't necessarily think they play football right now the way that suits him.

Status
Not open for further replies.