Frenkie de Jong| Off to Barca - Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Anyone know why he didn't go to Barcelona this summer? Vaguely remember him being constantly linked.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A lot of that compilation was out of position as well (playing cb), check out some of his full match highlights of this season on the midfield, for example:

vs france:

vs kiev

coming on for in the second half for his national team debut vs Peru

And no, De Ligt is our best player and then, or maybe alongside, Ziyech. I'd put Frenkie third, although Tagliafico might be consistently better, but not quite as amazing at his best.

Basically

De Ligt
Ziyech
Frenkie/Tagliafico
Tagliafico/Frenkie
Tadic
Onana
Neres
Blind

vaguely that order, though it's fairly close together below tagliafico
What about in terms of potential?

Treble

Frenkie vs Neves: the latter would cost much more, but is he more talented?

El-Manos

I can't read Dutch, can you translate the article ❤
Just says we have concrete interest but Real Madrid appear to be leading the race with an 80 million potential deal. It's a bit of a shite article as it also claims City, PSG , Barcelona and Spurs have interest.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
wow, and I thought I'd never see a player similar to Rosický! He looks class and for class players we always have space.

El-Manos

As a German speaker I find it funny that I can understand the whole article without speaking Dutch.
Dutch/Flemish is very similar to German. My girlfriend understands all the conversations I have with my family and she's from Dortmund and I am from Belgium.

Dutch/Flemish is very similar to German. My girlfriend understands all the conversations I have with my family and she's from Dortmund and I am from Belgium.
I've always thought Dutch and German were quite similar glad to know I wasn't imagining it.

Pagh Wraith

Sometimes you have to guess a little but as the word roots are often similar or identical it is not very difficult to deduct the meaning. Like "zaakwaarnemer" for example. The literal German equivalent would be "Sachwahrnehmer". I don't think that's a word but I would certainly understand its meaning if someone used it. And from the context it's pretty clear that it means agent.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Whilst Barcelona have historically played football with what Frenkie de Jong is associated with - I don't necessarily think they play football right now the way that suits him.
I agree, he'd be best off with Pep at City, but he's a big Barca fan and dreams of playing with Messi, which is only possible at Barca and only still right now really

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I have to watch him more. Enormous talent apparently but in the few games that I watched him, I wasn't really impressed...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
If Ten Hag keeps playing him as a centre half his price will eventuqlly drop. Had a mare there against Luuk de Jong yesterday.

Its mind boggling he's played there. The kid weighs like 2 stone (is that light? No clue about that weird weight unit).

rotherham_red

He's the reason why I'm not concerned about the Pogba rumours. It's a no brainer for them and he actually fills an urgent need while Pogba isn't an obvious fit with Coutinho playing that Iniesta role.

arthurka

As a German speaker I find it funny that I can understand the whole article without speaking Dutch.
English and German kind of make up Dutch. I dont speak Dutch but I speak both German and English and find it easy to read . That cant be said about the spoken language.

I hope we get this kid but atm everything is so negative around our club I am not really optimistic about it .

deafepl

If we get rid of Herrera we'll have space for him.
It's Matic replacement, I think Frenkie De Jong may be not considered if Andreas performs better above average DLP we would have expected from him.

Devil may care

I'd be shocked if he ended up here, and not just because Mourinho likes big guy, Mourinho also liked Modric and Fabregas, he has an appreciation for this kind of CM as well, but right now the image around how we play is dire and he'll have so may options with teams that play a more fluid and attractive style that suits his game.

I actually wonder if he might decide to avoid the PL completely given his stature, as it is still the most lump kickingly, unprotective league of Europe's big 5.

Frenkie vs Neves: the latter would cost much more, but is he more talented?
Personally I think they'd be brilliant together, Neves as the #6 and de Jong as the #8 ahead of him, kinda like how Neves and Moutinho play. I think in the PL de Jong would have to operate as a #8 with a more physical player behind him regardless, much like Jorginho has Kante or how even Pep uses Fernandinho behind Silva and De Bruyne.

L1nk

People are talking here like he would actually join us at this point in time, there's no chance, this kid will have his pick of the bunch. He's a quality player, him and de Ligt won't be at Ajax for much longer.

beingshe7don

De Jong, De Ligt and Neres for 100m sounds like a good deal.

I would play De Jong as a sweeper or deep lying playmaker and Neres would rejuvenate our RW and De Ligt would strengthen our defense.

Sjaakmeoff

De Jong, De Ligt and Neres for 100m sounds like a good deal.

I would play De Jong as a sweeper or deep lying playmaker and Neres would rejuvenate our RW and De Ligt would strengthen our defense.
Bids Ajax rejected this summer (unconfirmed ofcourse)
De Ligt- 60m euro's (City)
Neres- 28m euro's (Dortmund)
F. de Jong- 30m euro's (Barca)

I don't think 100m would be enough :)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
De Ligt and De Jong are the real deal. I'm not at all convinced by David Neres. Everytime I watch Ajax play he's the odd man out. It looks flashy, but compared to the guys around him, meh. I'd sell him for 28 million in a heartbeat if I were Ajax.

Dutch media now reporting Barcelona are willing to pay 80 million for Frenkie.

Member 93275

And no, De Ligt is our best player and then, or maybe alongside, Ziyech. I'd put Frenkie third, although Tagliafico might be consistently better, but not quite as amazing at his best.

Basically

De Ligt
Ziyech
Frenkie/Tagliafico
I disagree. Tagliafico is not in the top 3, he's a good right back but hardly world class. Ziyech is third best. A very fine attacking and creative player, but he will never play for the likes of Barca or Manchester United. The top two will. Two is De Ligt, excellent defender and as Arie Haan said, perhaps a more complete version of Beckenbauer. Buy him and you have a central defender position solved for the next 15 years with world class. Comparing him to De Jong is like comparing Ramos to Modric. Both excellent in their position, but yeah, Modric is the better player. De Jong is similarly way beyond. That kind of vision into time, space and the 22 players moving in it is very very rare. Cruyff, Zidane, Iniesta, Aimar spring to mind. It makes a whole team operate better. (Not a guarantee for complete success though, e.g. Aimar never played for the biggest clubs). His international debut games were very impressive in this matter - he came on and a defeat became a win. Against France, his first full start, it was the question how he'd cope with the likes Griezman, Pogba and Kanté, the big boys. That question wasn't answered, as Griezman and Pogba were instructed to cope with him instead, sacrificing themselves to defend passing lines to De Jong, so he would get less on the ball. It was weird to see such big players defending a newbie defensive midfielder. That didn't really work. It was very impressive. He still has a lot to prove and improve, despite the hype (which I'm contributing too, but you just can't help falling in love with such a player), so I hope he stays one or two years at Ajax. Ajax youngsters often have a setback or dip in form, it's better to experience it there and get over it, then going to Barca, have it there, and be sold.

Reactions: Invictus

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I Imagine we are being used to ramp up the Barca price, as per. That being said, I would love him to improve our distribution from deep. Would get the ball moving much quicker back there.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
"Perhaps a more complete version of Beckenbauer."

This is why no one likes an Ajax fan. Be-have. Guys like Sjaak Swart and Arie Haan should do comedy, not serious football analyses.

He might be a faster defender than Der Kaizer, but the fact he can't actually defend well sets him back a bit imho.

Member 93275

Correction, Tagliafico is left back of course.

This is why no one likes an Ajax fan. Be-have. Guys like Sjaak Swart and Arie Haan should do comedy, not serious football analyses.
I know fans of smaller clubs like Feyenoord automatically hate everything about Ajax, just like ManUtd supporters endure it in England, but you really shouldn't take it here, we're guests here. I respect Van Hanegem, you should respect Sjakie.

Reactions: Penna

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

He might be a faster defender than Der Kaizer, but the fact he can't actually defend well sets him back a bit imho.
:lol: I thought that was a bit over the top.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax

He was talking about de Ligt not de Jong but yeah it still made me laugh tbf.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Kostov

Who is the bigger talent between Ruben Neves and Frenkie de Jong ? I prefer Neves, since he looks at home in the PL, while I've seen very little of de Jong.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Correction, Tagliafico is left back of course.

I know fans of smaller clubs like Feyenoord automatically hate everything about Ajax, just like ManUtd supporters endure it in England, but you really shouldn't take it here, we're guests here. I respect Van Hanegem, you should respect Sjakie.
I don't hate Ajax at all, love watching em play as they're a joy to watch. Especially when you're used to the dross Feyenoord produce ;)

Van Hanegem, like Swart are fans and should be treated a such when speaking on their clubs. I respect these guys for what they've done on the pitch, not for their opinion on football. Neither should I have to, especially when they say dumb things like Frenkie is a more complete Beckenbauer.

Member 93275

Arie Haan: 3x European Club, 2x European Supercup, 1x Intercontinental Cup, 2x UEFA Cup Winners' Cup, two World Cup finals, has played against Beckenbauer.
Some guy on redcafe: His opinion is dumb
Yeah I know which opinion I attach more value to :D

izec

https://www.ajaxshowtime.com/article/opinie/109152/haan-de-jong-betere-versie-van-beckenbauer

Eh, he said it about De Jong for sure, perhaps De Ligt too?

I do think De Jong is fecking amazing by the way, just not as a central defender. Ajax fans should kick Ten Hag out if he persists with this folly.
I think he plays in midfield when both De Ligt and Blind are available. When Blind wasnt there, he played as a CB. Then he moved to midfield. Now that De Ligt missed a few games, he went back to CB. I think he will play in midfield normally, but as a CB if someone is missing.

Josep Dowling

If he's like Busquets maybe we'd be looking at him as a long term successor to Matic. Think likelier destination is Barcelona or even City.
This, if he's anything like Busquets or Iniesta Barcelona will be all over him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If we have Ajax x amount for De Ligt, De Jong and Neres would be a great investment.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Arie Haan: 3x European Club, 2x European Supercup, 1x Intercontinental Cup, 2x UEFA Cup Winners' Cup, two World Cup finals, has played against Beckenbauer.
Some guy on redcafe: His opinion is dumb
Yeah I know which opinion I attach more value to :D
You bring a nigh irrefutable argument, yet I'd like to propose the following question: do you believe that Frenkie de Jong is a more complete version of Franz Beckenbauer?

Sjaakmeoff

You bring a nigh irrefutable argument, yet I'd like to propose the following question: do you believe that Frenkie de Jong is a more complete version of Franz Beckenbauer?

Fellow Dutchies. Play nice.

No, Frenkie isn't a more complete player of FB. Frenkie is Frenkie. And Frenkie is a really big talent with a bright future. But let's wait and see how bright. We've seen way too many players who were hyped like Frenkie ending up somewhere in the desert.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yeah no worries, just trying to have an actual debate, I've ommitted the whom I support on most Dutch websites, because it instantly gets you the hater tag from oppo's. My fellow Feyenoord fans think I'm a complete moron for actually enjoying Ajax destroying AEK Athene for instance. I love football in general more than any one club. Call me plastic, call me Switserland or call me Sandy for all I care, but I'm not saying this from a spiteful perspective, just trying to get that across.

I think Frenkie is amazing by the way. Just sad to see him being wasted in defense. Obviously he's playing there to fill in for an injured De Ligt, but after spending 60 (?) million you'd think they have an actual defender to back up the first two? Apparently Wöber is so bad, that he's not trusted, but didn't Ten Hag know that this summer? Why did he let Viergever go? Ofcourse Viergever is a dime a dozen player, but at least he's a defender. Ajax' approach is admirable, but so terribly naive. You need a few big dum (misspelling this word is amazing) logs at the back to defend. There's no shame in that. PSV beat Ajax by literally hoofing the ball to Luuk de Jong for 90 minutes. They did it simply because it worked so well. He often won duels without even jumping. It was painful to watch, especially, because Ajax has a far more talented squad than PSV.

In the end Ajax well being is linked to our national teams well being, because Ajax provide most of our national team's players, so seeing that sad Pep-lookalike Ten Hag, butcher his talents grieves me. Not because they drop points in the league, I love Ajax dropping points domestically, but because it's bad for their development.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.