Frenkie de Jong - Part 2 - Chase Harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dane

You'd think we were Spurs or some other nothing tin pot club going by the embarrassing comments in here. "oh please Frenkie join us look how much better we are now". Sickening. We should be looking at players who find playing at Manchester United a privilege, we are one of the biggest clubs in the world ffs, we need to start acting like it in the market. You think Madrid/Barca/Bayern go out and beg players who have no interest in playing for them?
Totally agree. He had his chance and said no, now move on.

fanutd

Way worse than both

This ran all summer and was obvious the player had no intention of leaving from day 1 yet in day 100+ we were still in for him

I gave zero fecks about Vidal but yeah the Sneijder summer was shit as well and so was Thiago before he joined Bayern

I just remember Sjneider and Vidal being multi year sagas that never seemed like would come to an end.

croadyman

FDJ is a hell of a player, Im just not comfortable signing someone who clearly didnt want to play for us. Those days have to be gone. If his Missus has a big say in his career then you also dont want that hanging over you again after the first damp cold Manchester winter she suffers.
This post sums up the situation perfectly but the annoying part is his midfield profile is very unique so feel torn

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
but @Niemans says their financial situation isn’t the same?

I’m sure I remember all those levers being gambled on going deep deep in Europe?
The economic situation is very different, the FFP in Spain has been changed a month ago and has hardened quite a bit in some aspects. But economically Barcelona has improved a lot.

And it remains to be seen that Barcelona does not sign anyone.

cyberman

The economic situation is very different, the FFP in Spain has been changed a month ago and has hardened quite a bit in some aspects. But economically Barcelona has improved a lot.

And it remains to be seen that Barcelona does not sign anyone.
Your economic situation is whatever Tebas says it is. If you have to sell, you have to sell

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Your economic situation is whatever Tebas says it is. If you have to sell, you have to sell
One thing is not being able to sign and another thing is having to sell.
If a very good offer comes for Barcelona and FDJ wants to go to United there will be no problem. We'll see what happens.

cyberman

One thing is not being able to sign and another thing is having to sell.
If a very good offer comes for Barcelona and FDJ wants to go to United there will be no problem. We'll see what happens.
He literally says your budget for the summer is -200m so you need to make up 200m now without levers

kaku06

Okay, I’m ready for the come down. Give me that hit again that we are definitely going to sign him.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He was pretty decent in that first half, his big game performances have gotten much better this year.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
FDJ and Weghorst?
I’d take that but I do think the money would be better spent on a long term striker. If we keep Sabitzer and extend Fred we have options in the middle now - especially when Eriksen and Donny are fit again. We’ve needed a striker more or less since RVP left - we’ve had so many short term options (I’m deliberately ignoring Lukaku because he was trash) and Martial needs to be the option, not the starter - if he even stays.

InfiniteBoredom

Well, hopefully there'll be better options in the bargain market than our Wout.
£20m is very conservative anyway since we should trim down the squad a fair bit. McTominay, VdB, Pellistri, Tuanzebe, one of Maguire/Lindelof, Martial (possibly, wage and injury could be a roadblock). That’s easily 60-70m+ in fees, not including the wages that’s freed up. Even if FdJ is £80m+ whatever deferred wages Barca still owed him, we should still at least have 60m+ to play with for a striker, that should get you the likes of Toney, Mitrovic, Vlahovic, Muani etc, + Marcus Thuram on a free. That’s more than serviceable.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
£20m is very conservative anyway since we should trim down the squad a fair bit. McTominay, VdB, Pellistri, Tuanzebe, one of Maguire/Lindelof, Martial (possibly, wage and injury could be a roadblock). That’s easily 60-70m+ in fees, not including the wages that’s freed up. Even if FdJ is £80m+ whatever deferred wages Barca still owed him, we should still at least have 60m+ to play with for a striker, that should get you the likes of Toney, Mitrovic, Vlahovic, Muani etc, + Marcus Thuram on a free. That’s more than serviceable.
Somebody plays FM :wenger:

InfiniteBoredom

Somebody plays FM :wenger:
Not sure what’s exactly unrealistic about that? You think even with the United tax, we can’t find any of the striker listed that would go for around that money? We have been rather shit at buying not that shit, I hope.

A summer net spend of ~ 80m is pretty normal for United, even if the Glazers remain in charge.

Siorac

Not sure what’s exactly unrealistic about that? You think even with the United tax, we can’t find any of the striker listed that would go for around that money? We have been rather shit at buying not that shit, I hope.

A summer net spend of ~ 80m is pretty normal for United, even if the Glazers remain in charge.
We are rarely as good at selling players as you envision in that post though.

InfiniteBoredom

We are rarely as good at selling players as you envision in that post though.
That’s 7 players listed with a few internationals in there.

Let’s be very conservative and say

McTominay - 15m
VdB - 10m
Pellistri - 10m
Tuanzebe -5m
Maguire - 20m

That’s 60m for you. I reckon we can get a few millions more for Maguire and McTominay in reality, depending on buyers.

DiceRoller

McTominay - 15m
VdB - 10m
Pellistri - 10m
Tuanzebe -5m
Maguire - 20m

That’s 60m for you. I reckon we can get a few millions more for Maguire and McTominay in reality, depending on buyers.
don’t sell Pellistri. There’s something about him.

InfiniteBoredom

We have Antony, Sancho as our main right wingers, Amad plays there and he’s having a great loan at Sunderland. Bruno can also play there. EtH will probably want to integrate Amad into the squad next season, and even if not, Pellistri can’t buy a game at the moment and wr are playing a game every 3 days.

It’s a shame, but we need to cut the cord. He needs to play at his age and his contract is running out.

Mmm-Qatarian

McTominay - 15m
VdB - 10m
Pellistri - 10m
Tuanzebe -5m
Maguire - 20m

I'd probably keep Pellistri this summer - I would still like to see more of him.

I do think we could probably quite comfortably make up that 10 million in fees for McTominay and Maguire. I know they're not highly rated, and I get that neither has been in good form, but I do think people slightly underrate the value they'll be able to bring to a mid to lower-mid table Premier League team.

I'd say we should be looking to make at least 40 million on Maguire and around 25 million on McTominay. I'd be extremely disappointed if either of them went for less than 20 million.

edcunited1878

He's not going to get a look in unless there's injuries. One saving grace could be him playing through the middle and be Bruno's understudy, assuming vdB is done at United once he's recovered from his knee injury. But Pellestri will look for more playing time unless he wants to stay and develop himself without guaranteed playing time.

Klean

Totally agree. He had his chance and said no, now move on.
Its pretty much well-documented that this isn't what happened. If your job owed you 3 years' worth of wages and then tried to fire you would you willingly leave?

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
Fair play to Frenkie, board tried to force him to leave, treated him like shit, Xavi benched him yet he stayed and fought for his place and is now a fan favourite and clearly one of 6 untouchable players; Pedri, Balde, Frenkie, MaTS, Araujo and Gavi.

If we get the Busquets replacement correct, he's going to form an incredible midfield with Pedri for the future. I see him staying and we'll probably move on Ferran, Raphinha and unfortunately Kessie (been good recently)

Rolaholic

This summer it'll be more of a question of do Barca even want to sell anymore?

He's looked a nailed on starter as of late and his performances have him looking undroppable

George The Best

Fair play to Frenkie, board tried to force him to leave, treated him like shit, Xavi benched him yet he stayed and fought for his place and is now a fan favourite and clearly one of 6 untouchable players; Pedri, Balde, Frenkie, MaTS, Araujo and Gavi.

If we get the Busquets replacement correct, he's going to form an incredible midfield with Pedri for the future. I see him staying and we'll probably move on Ferran, Raphinha and unfortunately Kessie (been good recently)
Yes, as long as you can pay his wages and any money owed, I think he will stay.

Its pretty much well-documented that this isn't what happened. If your job owed you 3 years' worth of wages and then tried to fire you would you willingly leave?
But would leaving Barca mean forfeiting his pay? Couldn't he just pursue that legally while not being a Barca player? I don't know how this works, genuinely asking.

InfiniteBoredom

But would leaving Barca mean forfeiting his pay? Couldn't he just pursue that legally while not being a Barca player? I don't know how this works, genuinely asking.
He signed a new contract during the pandemic to help Barca with their financial situation. Basically they pay him a pittance for a couple of years before increasing it massively in the next few years, to match his original 400k/w contract.

So if he transfer away, they are under no obligation to pay him the difference. No one put a gun to his head to sign that contract, after all.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Don't do it to yourselves. He clearly didn't want to join us last summer. He did everything possible to avoid the move it seems.

Don't want anyone like that.

He signed a new contract during the pandemic to help Barca with their financial situation. Basically they pay him a pittance for a couple of years before increasing it massively in the next few years, to match his original 400k/w contract.

So if he transfer away, they are under no obligation to pay him the difference. No one put a gun to his head to sign that contract, after all.
Okay, makes sense, cheers.

wr8_utd

:'(

This summer it'll be more of a question of do Barca even want to sell anymore?

He's looked a nailed on starter as of late and his performances have him looking undroppable
He was brilliant end of last season also and they still tried to get rid off him. Unfortunately, he loves Barcelona so its hard to see him leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.