Frenkie De Jong - Part 3?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
He'd still be almost my dream signing even though Kobbie is breaking out. Having both of them able to travel and build from the back we'd be unrecognisable from 12 months ago.

prateik

His wages were supposed to go up every year after taking a cut.. he will be on really high wages next season.. No one is touching him at those wages unless Barca pay him off..
that was the issue the last time as well.

Barca desperately looking to offload.. this has to be coming from Barca trying to get bidders.

Bwuk

Would be a bit worried that a midfield 3 of him, Mainoo & Bruno would be a bit lightweight tbh.

Annouchez

If we do end up signing Frenkie this time, would his arrival be more celebrated amongst us United fans than when we finally signed Pogba, Alexis or Sancho?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Would be a bit worried that a midfield 3 of him, Mainoo & Bruno would be a bit lightweight tbh.
Onana
FDJ
Mainoo
Bruno
Casemiro
McTominay

You can set up and play any style with those options.

Unam333

A swap of Greenwood, Sancho and Antony for De Jong? Will they take them? :nervous:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think Bruno would be the one to miss out. Might cash in on him in the summer if this is viable. 433 incoming?

I'd love to see him here.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
You can never have enough calibre of players capable of playing in tight spaces and ones who're ,generally, technically gifted allround footballers.

RedRocket08

No thank you. We need a DM. Mainoo is the De Jong.
Would much rather prefer a DM as well - Mainoo is excellent at transitioning the team from attack to defence, Casemiro as well but even if Case gets sold off, we don't need a FdJ level player there because they would have to be a starter over Mainoo. Would much rather let Mainoo play a tonne of games, along with Garna and Hojlund - That exposure is what made the young Ronaldos, Rooneys and Co92 guys into world class professionals, so it's important that we give these 3 game time. A young DM as well playing as a pure 6 would fit in quite well into this core group of youngsters.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I do think we need to tone down on the Mainoo hype a little.
There will be times when his form drops and may need to be taken out of the side as a result or he picks up a long term knock.
Again, you cannot have enough technically good footballers in the squad.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
As good has Mainoo is showing himself for his age, I would never mind not competition and quality in the squad. City have been doing it for years under Pep and it does help keeping the squad hungry and competitive. We did it in the past as well, signing players in positions where we already had ability.

One concern I would have is De Jong would be very expensive and I would rather that money be spent on other positions where we really lack quality, let alone depth.

didz

A swap of Greenwood, Sancho and Antony for De Jong? Will they take them? :nervous:
If anyone is crazy enough to take that deal, it would be Barcelona.

It probably would be, especially if we are still committed to playing in transitions. But it'd be oh so pretty to watch.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Love him, and would not say no, but we would also need a proper ball winner and some physicality in the midfield. That said, it is still very early days with Mainoo, and he could develop into a physical, ball winning midfielder - he has one the ball a lot in his early games playing the deepest. By the same token, he could also develop progressively as he has this in his locker too, and could take Bruno’s place ultimately. I think I’d like that midfield as it would be an 8.5 instead of a pure 10, which should theoretically help us dominate games more. Mainoo, De Jong and say, Onana should be a dominant midfield in a similar mould to Modric, Kroos and Casemiro.

bosskeano

they're talking about looking at players with expiring contracts....€24.8M isn't what it'll cost to get him on an expiring contract, that's what he earns a year.

me thinks someone is taking the piss

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
they're talking about looking at players with expiring contracts....€24.8M isn't what it'll cost to get him on an expiring contract, that's what he earns a year.

He would never get that contract elsewhere, not sure that’s how it works here. The salary is the result of deferred payments being added to his coming wages. Not because he was offered a deal at 25m. He could stay and collect 25m for 2 more years, or he could sign somewhere for say, 15m for the next 5. He won’t simply be offered 25m a year for 5 years by his next club, unless he goes to Saudi.

gajender

Dawson knows jack shit to be honest I'll be surprised if even our Usual credible sources know what Strategy United would pursue in Summer or what our budget would be at this moment .

Just to add this strategy of targeting players with just year on their contract is old news it was floated last year as well .