Frenkie De Jong | Performances

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He's so extremely comfortable on the ball. It just feels natural to him. He still has these moments where he's a bit too casual but I'm sure he'll iron them out eventually. Nothing too problematic.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I love CMs who can resist pressing opposition like him, and Barca have 3 of the best in this chap, Arthur and Busquets.

They're a rarity but Andre Gomes, Lobotka and Maddison are all good at this, too, so id love one of those. At least!

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I give it two months into the season before the usual people here start complaining Barcelona's midfield with De Jong, Busquets, Arthur, Vidal, Rakitic and Aleña isn't good enough.

Seriously though, Valverde is going to get so much shit next season unless he wins every single trophy :lol:

Member 93275

He's so extremely comfortable on the ball. It just feels natural to him. He still has these moments where he's a bit too casual but I'm sure he'll iron them out eventually. Nothing too problematic.
I don't even care if he has his moments of casualness in the future and it costs the team. I'm sure it happened to Iniesta and Xavi, but I can't remember it, I only remember the beauty, and such a player Frenkie is.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I give it two months into the season before the usual people here start complaining Barcelona's midfield with De Jong, Busquets, Arthur, Vidal, Rakitic and Aleña isn't good enough.

Seriously though, Valverde is going to get so much shit next season unless he wins every single trophy :lol:
To be fair, Busquets, Vidal and Rakitic are all past their best. Vidal's best was never really Barca standard anyway.

de Jong and Arthur are such special talents though but yeah, Valverde will probably ruin them. If they even get a game. I'm sure he'll find a way to get Sergi Roberto in ahead of them.

Fer

It seems that Fernandes for 70m is our main target to improve our midfield and also Longstaff.

How much did Barca pay for De Jong?

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
He's a really good recycler, but not a true playmaker with vision, folks that already compare him to Xavi etc. are in for a big disappointment.

diarm

He's a really good recycler, but not a true playmaker with vision, folks that already compare him to Xavi etc. are in for a big disappointment.
While I agree that he's not necessarily a playmaker of Xavi's Calibre, it's a lot easier to have vision when you're picking out the runs of Messi, Suarez, Ronaldinho, Henry and Eto'o rather than Babel and Memphis.

Member 93275

I beg to differ, Frenkie has been surrounded by relatively fools upon now who don't understand his moves, he will only look better at Barcamessi.

RooneyLegend

This lad’s a player. Yet we’ve got people on here clamouring for the likes of Longstaff and Ndidi. Christ.
I know what you mean, it's quite disheartening. Ndombele is another, if our club can't see that that's the calibre of player we need, then we're in big, big trouble.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
To be fair, Busquets, Vidal and Rakitic are all past their best. Vidal's best was never really Barca standard anyway.

de Jong and Arthur are such special talents though but yeah, Valverde will probably ruin them. If they even get a game. I'm sure he'll find a way to get Sergi Roberto in ahead of them.
:eek:

Vidal at his best would start for any club in the world.

Regardless, they're all great players. What does it matter that they're past their best? Ronaldo and Messi are past their best too.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where’s the rabid OP gone? No micro-assessing the non-existent flaws in Frenkie’s game?

Bwuk

He’s excellent.

He’s going to end up a bargain for Barca.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Good on the ball but tame and not incisive.
That's the thing, he is pretty good at helping his side dominate the possession, one of the best in that regard, but you usually can't count on him to make those last balls and incisive passes. It's not his game.

In Rainbows

We should be trying to develop Angel Gomes for that role albeit with a slightly more attacking slant. Some people here are obsessed with height though. Hopefully Ole isn't one of them and thinks more like Butt.

Member 93275

That's the thing, he is pretty good at helping his side dominate the possession, one of the best in that regard, but you usually can't count on him to make those last balls and incisive passes. It's not his game.
It's basically blaming the player who sets up the incisive players that he is not incisive.

Kaglish10

Not true at all. He’s typically very incisive.
Not. He only recycled the ball. A good recycler like Jorginho, Busquet although doesn't have the ability to switch play like the aforementioned.

May likely improve at Barca but Arthur looks the same also. Good on the ball but tame although not as defensively solid as Frenkie.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
It's basically blaming the player who sets up the incisive players that he is not incisive.
Look, a midfield full of De Jongs would get the lionshare of possession, but it won't offer much penetration, unlike say Xavis, Iniestas or Modrics.

That's where the comparisons are off.

Member 93275

Not. He only recycled the ball. A good recycler like Jorginho, Busquet although doesn't have the ability to switch play like the aforementioned.

May likely improve at Barca but Arthur looks the same also. Good on the ball but tame although not as defensively solid as Frenkie.
Ok then.

sherrinford

There is no such thing. Possession and passing is all about progression - choosing the right pass, or a good pass. De Jong generally makes good decisions - he is very incisive in his role.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
While I agree that he's not necessarily a playmaker of Xavi's Calibre, it's a lot easier to have vision when you're picking out the runs of Messi, Suarez, Ronaldinho, Henry and Eto'o rather than Babel and Memphis.
It's a lot easier to look better but it doesn't enhance vision, it just gives you more good options. May sound pedantic, but one of the most remarkable things watching Maradona live (i.e. full view of the pitch) was how he would often go for an option you didn't even know was available until a split second after he went for it. Typically a move you didn't even think the rather average recipient had in him.

There's vision and incisive execution that makes you cum in your pants (e.g. Fabregas, De Bruyne), and then there's another tier where you are still scratching your head 5 mins later wondering where the heck that came from (as did the defenders that got completely taken out).

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Look, a midfield full of De Jongs would get the lionshare of possession, but it won't offer much penetration, unlike say Xavis, Iniestas or Modrics.

That's where the comparisons are off.
You cant have a midfield full of Xavis or a midfield full of iniestas. Modric a bit different as he's excelled or shown he's competent at all 3 roles, but neither here nor there. De Jong is pretty much the perfect Barca player to be the holding midfielder who is a deep lying playmaker. Excellent passing, comfortable on the ball and great under pressure, and knows how to progress it up the field brilliantly. He's not the one to be the #10 because that's just not his role to do that regularly, though he'll offer it on occasion.

Hes not going to solve Barcas midfield solely on his own, but hes a future star for sure and the best signing theyve made in ages.

RooneyLegend

Good on the ball but tame and not incisive.
His passing between the lines is magnificent. He's very incisive in that sense, what he doesn't isn't is expansive like Neves.
Pretty much the point. To expect a holding mid to carve open the opposition is nothing short of crazy. I've genuinely seen very few players who can do that. Even Verratti doesnt, neither does Busquets and they are the best around.

Aloysius's Back 3

It's sad that we don't get these type of players because soon as a team like Barcelona or R Madrid show interest they go join them due to their great history.

Only way we can get a sniff is if we make a decision at a younger stage after scouting. :(

Aloysius's Back 3

We should be trying to develop Angel Gomes for that role albeit with a slightly more attacking slant. Some people here are obsessed with height though. Hopefully Ole isn't one of them and thinks more like Butt.
This is personally why I think Butt will surprise us as a potential manager in the big term one day. A manager who see's the attempts or abilities of Gomes and doesn't care about physicality may also have a better mind set towards getting good results of Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, Chong, James etc.

flappyjay

This lad’s a player. Yet we’ve got people on here clamouring for the likes of Longstaff and Ndidi. Christ.
Exactly, we haven't bothered to replace Carrick. That's the type of deep midfielder we should be looking for. Also add rice to that list of destroyers with poor passing abilities

flappyjay

You can easily tell who used to get pissed that Carrick didn't score or get assists from some of these posts

In Rainbows

Exactly, we haven't bothered to replace Carrick. That's the type of deep midfielder we should be looking for. Also add rice to that list of destroyers with poor passing abilities
Don't think we need to replace Carrick in the sense that we need a player exactly like him. If I had a choice I would choose a player like Scholes, Xavi, or Modric over a more holding player like Carrick. Though I do believe that we are missing a primary passer that Scholes and then Carrick were.

We really do lack that kind of player. A player that is great at recycling possession because that player is the best at doing 1 touch passing, has the best touch, has great technique, and can find his way out of trouble using all 3 of those things. That player is also the best at discouraging the opponent from pressing so that his teammates have more space to work with. That player is also great at bringing it out from the back and can contribute to the attack by either breaking defensive lines or switching play or using their vision for a through ball.

We do lack a defensive presence as well though. It would be great if we had a deep midfielder who is great defensively, but also does the above. Those are really rare though.

What United need is for the midfield to be complete in all areas due to the sum of its parts. Pogba pretty much has the attacking portion covered. Pogba lends a helping hand in the passing portion of the midfield that I just described above. That's clearly not enough though as we all rightly point out. So we need 2 midfielders who can complete our midfield.

Hopefully Garner and Gomes can develop to complete our midfield, but that's not something we can rely on, and so I would love if we could at least cover the defensive side with a smart buy. That is why I'm in favor of buying Ndidi. Not because he's the ideal midfield defensive presence, but because it takes away one thing that is missing from United's midfield. Matic doesn't provide it. Neither did Herrera or Pogba.

If I an ideal midfield, it would be a rotation of 4 players. Pogba, a destroyer like Ndidi (bench option), a mobile passer like Modric, and a defensive midfielder that can pass (which is what you guys want).