Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newtonius

You gotta love how people immediately started to question the best football source in the country because it was negative.

Going to be a fun couple of weeks, oh yeah truly great, how can you not appreciate pointlessly chasing a player for 3 months, a player that delayed other signings, only for him to sign for a rival perhaps days before seeing McFred in the 1st game of the season.

NewYorkRed

Him staying at barca would be one thing, I honestly don’t think i could stomach chelsea getting him after all this.

Rockets Redglare

I imagine there is probably some truth in the Chelsea story as they do seem to have a bit more pull with certain players due to being in London, but I still think we’re in the driving seat.
I think it’ll be a case of just offering more money to sweeten the deal which isn’t exactly an ideal scenario but if Ten Hag has said it’s De Jong or nothing then we’re going to have to go all out to get his man.

Cypriot

You gotta love how people immediately started to question the best football source in the country because it was negative.

Going to be a fun couple of weeks, oh yeah truly great, how can you not appreciate pointlessly chasing a player for 3 months, a player that delayed other signings, only for him to sign for a rival perhaps days before seeing McFred in the 1st game of the season.
It's the certain individual journalists which are the best, not the Athletic as a whole. As I've previously said, the minute Whitwell or Ornstein jumps on it, I'll take it as gospel. Until then, it's just another pointless non-update full of ifs and maybes.

ShinjiNinja26

It would be a right kick in the bollocks to have publicly chased this guy for months only for the deal to be hijacked by the club who’ve been getting mugged off all window by Barcelona. :lol:

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!

It's not because it's negative, it's because it's another opinion piece that people are taking as fact.
There is nothing in there thats new and most of it is just the reporters opinion expressing what he thinks is going on

Superunknown

Manchester is a perfectly decent place. Depending what you want it’s as good as London.

It is probably true that most people who aren’t from here or have barely been here might prefer to live in London as a very broad generalisation. That’s why, when someone says “Frenkie prefers London”, it sounds plausible. We’ve no reliable source confirming it but it sure sounds likely (and probably is true) so let’s go with it. I don’t think he will make a huge career decision based on that but who knows?
Nobody is willing or ready to admit that London is a shithole.

NewYorkRed

Ed would’ve had this in the bag by now by offering to pay his wages and pay him 800k a week

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
It would be a right kick in the bollocks to have publicly chased this guy for months only for the deal to be hijacked by the club who’ve been getting mugged off all window by Barcelona. :lol:
What would be even more ironic is Chelsea giving the club that has mugged them off twice now, stealing players right out of their grasp, €85m for a player they really don't need. That would be hilarious in it's own right to be honest

Matt851

What would be even more ironic is Chelsea giving the club that has mugged them off twice now, stealing players right out of their grasp, €85m for a player they really don't need. That would be hilarious in it's own right to be honest
He would be a big improvement on their current midfield though. Hopefully there isn't any truth in it

ShinjiNinja26

Anything’s possible in the transfer window these days.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
He would be a big improvement on their current midfield though. Hopefully there isn't any truth in it
Not sure you know... they're stacked in midfield, so they'd need to get rid of a few if they were genuinely serious about going for him. Hence why i don't think there is any truth at all. Maybe there WAS interest at one point, but i don't think they're willing to follow up on it

Anything’s possible in the transfer window these days.
Yeah aint that true

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Chelsea could be true. Equally it could be something Barca put about to get us to pay more of the 17m. It's all black box politics.

OrcaFat

Not sure you know... they're stacked in midfield, so they'd need to get rid of a few if they were genuinely serious about going for him. Hence why i don't think there is any truth at all. Maybe there WAS interest at one point, but i don't think they're willing to follow up on it

Yeah aint that true
They are good in CM. Unless Jorginho is leaving it would really be madness to blow their budget on FDJ.

Chief123

Is anyone more attached to this thread/transfer than the Thiago/Kroos/Strootman ones?

That summer with Moyes was torture. Went from thinking we'd get 2 out of those 3 to getting none and Fellaini instead.
Getting Fellani at the end of it was mortifying. I would rather have ended up with none.

Quagmire Maguire

Nobody is willing or ready to admit that London is a shithole.
I was born and raised in London, the moment I had my first child, I was out of there! It is a shithole, it can be beautiful, but on the whole it is a shithole, a very expensive shithole.

However as somebody who spends a lot of time in Manchester, it is also grim!

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
How would they get Jorginho and de Jong in the same 11? I just dont see it.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I get a stinking feeling a real gut punch is coming. The murmurs are there. Gut punch.

OrcaFat

I was born and raised in London, the moment I had my first child, I was out of there! It is a shithole, it can be beautiful, but on the whole it is a shithole, a very expensive shithole.

However as somebody who spends a lot of time in Manchester, it is also grim!
London is pretty shitty. I’ve lived in several different parts of it and I wouldn’t want to raise my daughter there but there are some lovely spots to live if you have a lot of money. Naturally FDJ would live in one of the good bits.

saivet

Putting this thread back on ignore. All the signs that this saga isn't ending anytime soon and I have a feeling it will end in disappointment. Feels like there hasn't been any update of note for weeks.

Giggsy13

The Athletic article is really vague in nature. It mentions that "the impression is that he would prefer to go for a CL club". Common sense does suggest that FDJ and ETH would've spoken at some point where he could've said that he prefers to join a CL club and we would've been on our way to find alternatives.

If he leaves Barca, it is most likely to us. But it's been a summer of hijacks so nothing is official till he's holding the shirt.
Theres a meltdown over vague links to Chelsea in an article barely anyone has read. We all know de Jong prefers a CL club, which was reported months ago. I don’t believe ETH and the club would persist with the move if they didn’t get assurances over his willingness to come.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
The deal died like weeks ago, I don't why anyone is still fooling themselves.
Did it really? Have you whacked any money on his staying at Barca/going to Chelsea? You seem certain that the deal to United is dead, even though you have absolutely no proof of it

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Him staying at barca would be one thing, I honestly don’t think i could stomach chelsea getting him after all this.
Might honestly be the most embarrassing moment for the club post-Ferguson, and I include Liverpool smashing us at home last season, and City playing in first gear dominating us. Our chase for him makes no sense if he then goes to sign for Chelsea. Someone will have done their job terribly.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
If he goes to Chelsea, you've got to wonder what dialogue United reps and EtH have actually had with De Jong and his agent(s)?

13 weeks of this, no sign of an alternative and now the Chelsea rumours just make absolute sense. CL, London, better teammates and another club equally on par with being Barcelona's transfer bitchez.

It would be a bizarre turn of events given that we're so far into the window and would be forced to overpay for a vastly inferior alternative or make do with what we have. We've been here so many times as well. Things are gonna change they said :lol:

OrcaFat

Theres a meltdown over vague links to Chelsea in an article barely anyone has read. We all know de Jong prefers a CL club, which was reported months ago. I don’t believe ETH and the club would persist with the move if they didn’t get assurances over his willingness to come.
Yeah, who knows what he wants but I think he’ll come if he doesn’t get a better offer.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Might honestly be the most embarrassing moment for the club post-Ferguson, and I include Liverpool smashing us at home last season, and City playing in first gear dominating us. Our chase for him makes no sense if he then goes to sign for Chelsea. Someone will have done their job terribly.
I mean, it wouldn't be that bad. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.