Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Why would we agree a fee with Barcelona for a player who isn't interested in signing for us? It makes no sense. Surely De Jong has given us some encouragement?
I think that's what Oriol Domenech is hinting at, but the way the Barcelona aggregators have reported this info seems to indicate otherwise. At this point, I'm waiting for another journalist to report on this just so we're all clear.

pascell

Here's a Tweet from another Barcelona aggregator that has gotten this information (and where the whole thing seems to originate from):

Here's how DeepL.com translates it:

This doesn't read like new info but more like a reminder. I'd like to know where this originally came from as no one has pointed out the underlying source on Twitter.
Initially he said no, I'm presuming we've had talks since and he's warmed to the idea.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We will know the answer soon I think by next week or two weeks probably. Hope VDB recommends him good place to live.

SAF is the GOAT

Why would we agree a fee with Barcelona for a player who isn't interested in signing for us? It makes no sense. Surely De Jong has given us some encouragement?
Maybe to pressure FDJ and Barca

Personally I agree with the club about this - we can't just keep waiting for them and waste all summer on this deal because we need to conduct according to our budget and buy other players. I think its a great move from our end.

If he stays this summer I'm honestly a bit optimistic that next year would be a different matter. I think we get top 4 next season and show promise with ten hag, plus I think Barcelona move forward with Gavi and Pedri (and Kessie there now), and he's more willing to move. Feels a year early for De Jong to give up on Barca though. Very important for us to find someone else to be a DM, which is fine because Frenkie alone wouldn't solve everything anyway. DM now and Frenkie next summer would be good too.
What guarantee us that Barca's finances won't be better next summer ? and they could afford to keep him ?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If he stays this summer I'm honestly a bit optimistic that next year would be a different matter. I think we get top 4 next season and show promise with ten hag, plus I think Barcelona move forward with Gavi and Pedri (and Kessie there now), and he's more willing to move. Feels a year early for De Jong to give up on Barca though. Very important for us to find someone else to be a DM, which is fine because Frenkie alone wouldn't solve everything anyway. DM now and Frenkie next summer would be good too.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Mistranslation. Apparently it says ''initially no'' before ETH convinced him.
I dont think he says that ETH convinced him. He just said no information after the initial rejection and ETH spoke to him post that. Only thing i find odd is that if we couldnt convince him then why would we agree a fee with Barca.

Devil may care

This whole obsession with playing in the CL is tiresome, being out of it one season isn't the end of the world and most of these players bleating about it are at clubs with feck all chance of winning it next season, I mean in De Jong's case Barca are miles off and pretty much want to sell him, yet he's acting like a battered wife and doesn't want to leave, are those 8 to 10 extra games before getting knocked out that important?

Yagami

Good post resistant
The fact that we've had to give him an ultimatum is bad news.

it's a shame we've shown no interest in Arthur who's leaving Juventus. Bar Verratti, he's the only other cm who can offer what Frenkie does.

Suv666

The money being quoted is too much. Ask Barca to feck off and they'll come back begging.
We should be taking advantage of their financial situation.

pratyush_utd

By the way the initial no was 3 weeks back. Not sure if thats true but some account are reporting it like that

pratyush_utd

The money being quoted is too much. Ask Barca to feck off and they'll come back begging.
We should be taking advantage of their financial situation.
Since CVC deal didn’t materialise, so if we have agreed a fee with Barca, then it would be both Barca and United pressuring him to sign the deal :lol:

Scholsey2004

The fee probably didnt take a huge amount of negotiation, Barca want to sell after all. The problem is convincing the player.

This whole obsession with playing in the CL is tiresome, being out of it one season isn't the end of the world and most of these players bleating about it are at clubs with feck all chance of winning it next season, I mean in De Jong's case Barca are miles off and pretty much want to sell him, yet he's acting like a battered wife and doesn't want to leave, are those 8 to 10 extra games before getting knocked out that important?
I don’t understand it either, unless you’re playing for a top team like Bayern, Madrid etc you’re just there to make up numbers. He played CL football last season and ended up EL anyway, honestly it’s such a nonsense ting.

cyberman

That account is aggregator and it translated it wrong. He said initially he said no and then ETH spoke to him. Also that we agreed a fee. Agreeing a fee for a player who doesn’t want to come is bit stupid. Most likely ETH convinced him if we pressed forward with a deal
Makes sense. What gets me is the we don’t know if Utd are his first choice line being thrown up by journos. I’m pretty fecking sure if we know he wants the move or not by now, just because you don’t know doesn’t make it so

Rolaholic

Sounds like Barca are more than ready to bin him off to help with their summer expenses if they've agreed a fee with another club.

Really feels like he's gonna end up moving out of necessity to the club

pratyush_utd

3 weeks ago before the Romero 95% tweet?
No, its from today. Most likely around the same time that Romero tweet. He did jump the gun but Barca has no choice but to sell him and we are the only contenders.

Bojan Djordjic

They paid 75M Euros for him and they want 80M Euros. They aren't being unreasonable.
Well, his reputation hasn't improved, he's been criticised by fans and Barca are in the shit financially so I'd say you would be expecting a decent haircut on any fee they paid.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I dont think he says that ETH convinced him. He just said no information after the initial rejection and ETH spoke to him post that. Only thing i find odd is that if we couldnt convince him then why would we agree a fee with Barca.
Sorry but for us muppets, we read ‘’spoke’’ as ‘’convinced’’.

Rolaholic

Bit more context on Barca's desire to sell:

Last edited:

Rolaholic

If he said no we should move to another target. We shouldn't have to convince anyone to come, those days should be over.
We definitely have to sell ourselves to top talents on the merits of our project currently though after that shitshow of a season.

It doesn't mean anything more than adjusting to our present reality where our rivals are the ones being considered as the marquee clubs in the land, not us.

Rustyspider13

I think this will be either done or moved on from by the first week of June. If you ask me there is too much smoke for this deal not to go through. De Jong obviously doesn't want to leave Barca but there is one thing every footballer wants, even more than CL football, and that is to play. He won't be getting guaranteed gametime at Barca or at any of the other clubs who are reportedly interested. Whereas he'll be first choice in our midfield, playing under a manager who knows exactly how to use his strengths. Ten Hag knows this and will hopefully be able to convince him to leave his Barca dream behind and face reality.

cyberman

If he said no we should move to another target. We shouldn't have to convince anyone to come, those days should be over.
Only reason I’m on board is because Ten Hag might bring him up a level. By all accounts he’s been underwhelming at Barca and a player we shouldn’t be looking at for that price even if he said yes.
It does read like we haven’t learned our lesson but I’ll trust the manager

SuperiorXI

We definitely have to sell ourselves to top talents on the merits of our project currently though after that shitshow of a season.

It doesn't mean anything more than adjusting to our present reality where our rivals are the ones being considered as the marquee clubs in the land, not us.
Yes of course, but if we speak to them about our project and they say no, time to move on. We are still above grovelling for players.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
I think it’s done. I just can’t see United agreeing a fee with Barcelona without getting a yes from the player.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I don’t agree. I don’t think there is anything wrong with having to convince him to come, especially after the abomination of a season we’ve just had. The difference is that the convincing should be done in terms of what the football strategy will be, how we will get back to the top, and how we will win trophies as him part of the team. What it can’t be about is saying, we are going to spend loads of money on players and more importantly we are going to pay you as much as you want, and let you dictate terms to us.

He’d be right to be sceptical about coming here. We have no divine right to command respect from everyone, and have them fall to their knees when we come calling. Especially when he’s already at a huge club. There’s nothing wrong with us having to show him we mean business, we have a plan, we have our ducks in a row, we’ve gotten our shit together, and this is how he fits in. That we are a serious football club. Any self respecting player would want to see that after the fecking circus we’ve been.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Maybe to pressure FDJ and Barca

Personally I agree with the club about this - we can't just keep waiting for them and waste all summer on this deal because we need to conduct according to our budget and buy other players. I think its a great move from our end.

What guarantee us that Barca's finances won't be better next summer ? and they could afford to keep him ?
Says $1.5Bn debt. They have a similarly massive but easier rebuild job to us. Easier because their league is less intensive, less physically demanding and less competitive.

reelworld

Yes of course, but if we speak to them about our project and they say no, time to move on. We are still above grovelling for players.
There's news coming out saying that we can't wait long for him, basically giving him an ultimatum.
This is also coincide with the news that we've reignited our interest in Ruben Neves.
I don't know about you but the vibe for transfers feels different this time. Seems there's a urgency to complete a deal or move to the next target if the first one can't come

SuperiorXI

I don’t agree. I don’t think there is anything wrong with having to convince him to come, especially after the abomination of a season we’ve just had. The difference is that the convincing should be done in terms of what the football strategy will be, how we will get back to the top, and how we will win trophies as him part of the team. What it can’t be about is saying, we are going to spend loads of money on players and more importantly we are going to pay you as much as you want, and let you dictate terms to us.
I agree however the reports are saying he has said no to us, so I am assuming we have tried the former and he rejected it and now may be about to make the mistake of the latter.

DON’T PANIC ™

I don’t want any player who doesn’t leap at the chance to wear the Utd shirt. If they have to be asked twice forget them. Utd won’t get back to the top without players who are fully committed to winning trophies rather than just being convinced by money.

Personally I think these rumours are rubbish anyway, contrived by the media.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I agree however the reports are saying he has said no to us, so I am assuming we have tried the former and he rejected it and now may be about to make the mistake of the latter.
The reports are saying he initially said no because he wanted CL football, since then they say ETH has called him many times. Which is where the convincing I assume comes in. We’ve also allegedly agreed a fee, which likely doesn’t happen without encouragement from the player. Whether we’ve been fully successful in convincing him, I don’t think anyone actually knows.

Im going straight from the Spanish reports, rather than the botched translations going around. I speak fluent Spanish just for clarification.

Irrational.

FDJ, Nunez, Timber and a CDM would constitute a successful summer for me.

Also seems like the days of protracted transfer sagas is coming to an end. We seem to be moving pretty swiftly and telling the player to feck off if they’re not interested and moving onto the next target, which can only be good- except for muppetiers who seem to want to inject this shit into their veins summer after summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.