Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Put it this way, to go this far into the window and spend this much time on it, Erik Ten Hag would have to be stark raving bonkers not to have cast iron assurances that we’re his club of choice should he leave.
Agree... Problem is footballers change their minds faster then my wife when we head upstairs...

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Rob Dawson bringing some hope back

Honestly this is like a wife saying "yeah, me husband's left me, told me he doesn't love me anymore, moved in with another woman and got her pregnant...

...but I'm sure he's just going through a phase - he'll be back"

Erik the Red

The positive thing of the latest news is that if Chelsea agree a deal with Barcelona we will have a clear picture of what was going on all this time.

a) FDJ stays in Barcelona with the current contract --> The deferred wages scenario was the most likely obstacle and the player would probably move somewhere if he received the deferred amount.
b) FDJ stays in Barcelona with a wage cut --> The player intended to go nowhere and his ambition is questionable since he is willing to risk his career and his prime years when he is not a guaranteed starter and the play him out of his best position.
c) FDJ ends up in Manchester United --> He wanted to be here and indeed something (deferred wages) was apparently delaying the transfer. No one can say that he was forced to come here and we will have a new Di Maria, if he rejected Chelsea in the meantime.
d) FDJ ends up in Chelsea --> Apart from the obvious meltdown, questions need to be raised to all of the participants of this fiasco (even to ETH) since this means that we never had reassurances from the player's side, or they were dragging us along.

Questions need to be raised for (b) as well since we lost so much time, but compared to (d) scenario it is nothing.
Or 'd', Chelsea just threw a ridiculous salary at him and he got swayed...

peridigm

So basically, the only pros we have going for us at the moment are that we'd offer higher wages and he played under ETH for 1-1/2 seasons. Oh, and they're both dutch.
Meanwhile, Chelsea are based in London, have won the CL and league more times than we have in the past decade, and have CL next season.

I think we still get this over the line.

PoTMS

no, no it won't
You are one delusional fella. You are complicit in eating all the shit the Glazers ram down our throat. Still too early to complain about our shambles of a transfer window or is now a suitable time for you on the eve of the Premier League restarting?

GazTheLegend

I live in a quiet village in Kent, however my ideal location to live when I retire is in the Scottish Highlands in the middle of nowhere surrounded by beautiful mountains, amazing roads and stunning lochs.
I'd agree with that if it wasn't for the bloodsucking monsters that WILL eat you alive if you dare venture out at dawn or dusk.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
And lets be honest, if he has no assurances and has had the board persue de Jong the whole summer for no reason, they're not going to be happy at all. Which is why i don't think it's likely he'd do that.
I mean before he signed, he demanded a lot of assurances and power. Apparently we craved because we wanted to get our man, but this could easily be one of the downsides of this.

Didn't Ajax fans mention that transfers are a distinct weak point of his?

Chief123

Exhibit A: John Obi Mikel!

Obviously an extreme example, but footballers in general aren't the most loyal lot.
Didn’t chelsea actually have to pay us a transfer fee for him because we signed him and then he wanted to go to Chelsea instead? It was such a bizarre transfer.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Exhibit A: John Obi Mikel!

Obviously an extreme example, but footballers in general aren't the most loyal lot.
That's not an extreme example, that's an exception and why he is remembered. As a group footballers aren't less loyal than any other group of people on earth as far as I can tell.

BuzzKillington

What I find the most bizarre aspect about this transfer (and others) is the smiles and satisfaction on some fans for being "right" about him never coming. Like, how can you be happy your club has missed out on a great signing just to be right on a forum. We still don't know which way this goes, but some very strange satisfactory posts ready to "laugh my ass off". Whichever side of the muppet train is right in the end, the truth is neither side have had a clue all along. Both sides have tossed a coin up and now celebrating when their side of the coin wins.
I think most of us wanted us to move on about 6 weeks ago. There are other midfielders out there who could improve our midfield, the club do pay attention to social media, the vast majority of United fans seem to have joined the manager and fallen into the FdJ or bust approach.

If there had been more pressure from the fans on social media to look for new targets we might be starting the season with a new midfielder, rather than a weaker version of the sub par selection we started last season with.

Everybody assumes that because EtH is a manager he knows everything. Which makes me think back to RR last year thinking because he’d managed Hoffenheim he knew how to handle United. EtH is in for a very unpleasant surprise about the overall competitiveness of the PL this year unless he brings in some reinforcements in midfield.

redshaw

I don't think De Jong and has been stringing ETH and United along, we're a viable option should he have to leave but if a PSG Bayern or even a Chelsea comes in I'm sure we're aware from the player he may turn us down. United/ETH are in it for the long shot, to fast track a top player from a tricky position with no CL and the last 9 years of mess.

At the very outset I said we might have to walk before we can run, we could get lucky and Frenkie comes or we have work our way up if not. I don't mind the punt the club and manager is taking at this stage.

GBBQ

It’s not going to happen because I think we’re waiting for Declan Rice next summer. But I’m saying IF the De Jong interest is real, it would only be reasonable to assume Azpi and Alonso would
Lets be clear
1. We are not chasing FdJ all summer
2. We have been proactive in coming to an agreement with Barca and it is highly unlikely we did it without talking to FdJ. However it is also clear that personal terms with Frenkie was always pending due to nature of complexities
3. This is as quick reaction as you can get from a club
4. After this United is practically out of picture and just waiting. It is only us fans and journos keeping the iron hot for our own sake
5. ETH long time back clarified if he doesn't get Frenkie then he will train one within the team. It also means united are perfectly aware that there is a probability of FdJ not signing with us. It is not as if ETH falling flat on his face. He has other plans in place.
6. It is normal to have multiple clubs bid for same players. Some players you get some you don't as there are various factors affecting the deal that are beyond club's control. AND THAT IS OKAY.
Honestly I have no issue on losing out on FDJ. If he chooses Chelsea then so be it. They have things we can’t currently offer. I don’t think it will be through a lack of effort from United as it seems we have a few agreed quite early and either the player has cold feet or has had his head turned by Chelsea. This is out of our control but it doesn’t seem to be the age old issue of going after the wrong profile of player or not being willing to strike a deal quickly.

He also may well be a player worth waiting for and if we have the nod that he will eventually sign then so be it. ETH knows him inside out and FDJ knows the system and role he will play so he can probably bed in relatively quick.

If we don’t get him though we will be left scrambling to buy a second choice and then not having enough of a preseason to bed them in to the team and tactics so it’s far from ideal start to a critical season.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
That's not an extreme example, that's an exception and why he is remembered. As a group footballers aren't less loyal than any other group of people on earth as far as I can tell.
Who was the player that had a medical at spurs and signed for Chelsea?

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The people still believing this is happening are like creationists who believe dinosaur fossils were put here to test their faith. Fair play to you all :lol:
None of us really know either way.
You just have the two extremes of people who take every positive piece of news as gold and people who panic everytime anyone says anything remotely negative about it anywhere on the Internet.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Alvaro Montero - Tier mount everest

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
You are one delusional fella. You are complicit in eating all the shit the Glazers ram down our throat. Still too early to complain about our shambles of a transfer window or is now a suitable time for you on the eve of the Premier League restarting?
Please tell me what more can United do (because Chelsea can’t magically make the deferred wages disappear no matter how bad the meltdown is in here) to force this transfer through when the issue is between Barca/FDJ.

Please tell me how this is embarrassing after a deal has been agreed with United/Barca.

What more can United do now? Please tell me….if United doing their job and agreeing a fee is embarrassing then wow

croadyman

How much are the deferred wages? It has been said that Chelsea want Barca to finalise talks for Azpi this week at the latest. We are also looking to sign a new left back imminently in Cucurella, which could suggest Alonso is leaving shortly, who Barca also want. Those two will possibly be used to mitigate some of the deferred wages perhaps?

Quite shocked by the news tbh, especially coming from Orny.
I'm not we are paying a heavy price for such a tunnel vision approach, now the big guns have got involved confidence is low

Status
Not open for further replies.