Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseunited

I reckon that's it now - I wonder how we are going to 'spin' not signing him after all this time chasing him, to the detriment of one of our most important windows in living memory.

Even the Chelsea journo's are having a pop saying the club will ensure they get the players buy in from an early stage, unlike Utd.

Lack of Champions League football gives us no hope against Chelsea(even without the London factor), and if he does pick up now, you have to ask yourself, why and question his mentality for picking us.. He has got to want to be here for the right reasons, which is questionable anyway given his love for Barca.

It's a sad situation - its just depressing.. Im gutted.

Do not sign Neves - nowhere near good enough. Rice/Bellingham combination would be ideal, but would cost £250m so not happening. I like Valverde at Real, but he generally plays to the right of a 3 man midfield, so goes against the ETH double pivot, not saying Real would sell either. Veratti/Barella maybe.. still probably unattainable without CL football. It would'nt suprise me, if we end up with a 'past his best' Kante, if Chelsea sign FDJ..
Jesus,the muppet force is not strong with you my friend :lol: .Never give up.

Dr. StrangeHate

Reminds me of when I consolidated all my credit cards into one balance transfer and then acted like I was loaded and went and maxed out my credit card again in a week
When they do eventually go bankrupt, the behind the scenes documentary of this transfer season will be a must see.

Edit: Barca have already sold 50% of the rights to Barcruptcy after reading this.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
This is hopefully a reminder that some fans need to temper their expectations. We need to rebuild and it's not going to happen overnight. If a player is picking Chelsea over us then we need to accept that one of the factors has to be the respective clubs' reputations and successes in recent years.

It's embarrassing for the club if we've been holding on for so long and the deal hasn't gone through, but there's too many people who just assume that FDJ would rush to sign for us because we're Manchester United. We've been a volatile club for almost a decade now and until we show some stability and consistency we're always going to be lucky when we get top players, or a top manager like Ten Hag, rather than it being the norm.

Give it a couple of years when we're knocking feckers off their perches again before we just assume we will get this class of player by default, but until then we can't just expect success otherwise we'll never be happy or get anywhere.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
It's not the news, its the source of the news(Orny/Chelsea Journo's). The Caf has been in denial over Chelsea actually interest, but its now 100% verified as accurate and that discussions are now taking place over a deal, which put's a completely different slant on it, as we thought we had a free run at him, hence their confidence.

It doesn't end well for MUFC this now, in my opinion..
But as i've said is the news from England or Spain. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that this is Barca taking the piss. It's unlikely, but not impossible.

Chances are Chelsea are in for him, but it doesn't change a thing regarding where we're at now and what will happen in the future. Wages still need to be sorted, and it's possible that he'll just say screw it, and take that pay cut

Judas

Open to offers
What I find the most bizarre aspect about this transfer (and others) is the smiles and satisfaction on some fans for being "right" about him never coming. Like, how can you be happy your club has missed out on a great signing just to be right on a forum. We still don't know which way this goes, but some very strange satisfactory posts ready to "laugh my ass off". Whichever side of the muppet train is right in the end, the truth is neither side have had a clue all along. Both sides have tossed a coin up and now celebrating when their side of the coin wins.
Without a doubt the weirdest most strange folk on here. Must have the most empty lives to be so desperate to look right on an internet forum.

Anustart89

I don't really see what's changed, to be honest. The financial details of what Barca would accept to let him go were in the open since we agreed the deal. Frenkie would still prefer to stay at Barca, but now he has to choose between us, who have apparently been an okay option and where EtH has assurances that he's interested, or Chelsea, who have been rejected by half of Europe so far in this window. I also think that we'd pay him more than Chelsea would to secure the signing for EtH.

Cypriot

What I find the most bizarre aspect about this transfer (and others) is the smiles and satisfaction on some fans for being "right" about him never coming. Like, how can you be happy your club has missed out on a great signing just to be right on a forum. We still don't know which way this goes, but some very strange satisfactory posts ready to "laugh my ass off". Whichever side of the muppet train is right in the end, the truth is neither side have had a clue all along. Both sides have tossed a coin up and now celebrating when their side of the coin wins.
Yeah I don't think I'll ever be able to understand this. It's a beta-male personality trait.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
This is hopefully a reminder that some fans need to temper their expectations. We need to rebuild and it's not going to happen overnight. If a player is picking Chelsea over us then we need to accept that one of the factors has to be the respective clubs' reputations and successes in recent years.

It's embarrassing for the club if we've been holding on for so long and the deal hasn't gone through, but there's too many people who just assume that FDJ would rush to sign for us because we're Manchester United. We've been a volatile club for almost a decade now and until we show some stability and consistency we're always going to be lucky when we get top players, or a top manager like Ten Hag, rather than it being the norm.

Give it a couple of years when we're knocking feckers off their perches again before we just assume we will get this class of player by default, but until then we can't just expect success otherwise we'll never be happy or get anywhere.
Has your account been hacked? Where are the jokes, the dirty metaphors, the snipes at cina's mum? Not sure I like this version of pigeon

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Well it's gonna be pretty embarrassing if he goes to Chelsea but as long as we tried our best i don't see that it matters too much.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

Other clubs seems to be rebuilding overnight, look at barcelona and spurs. Lets face facts, the glazers ambition is top 4 only and they couldn't give a flying feck about winning any silverware. Our spending is in line with glazers ambition.

Building a title winning team will not happen overnight or over a decade with glazers at the helm.

RedMilo

Jesus,the muppet force is not strong with you my friend :lol: .Never give up.
Whilst I was very much hoping this happens, I've been sceptical for a while. I think if he wanted to be here, then...

I feel sorry for the muppet force - I admire you all, even now, but you're really pissing against the wind here.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Other clubs seems to be rebuilding overnight, look at barcelona and spurs. Lets face facts, the glazers ambition is top 4 only and they couldn't give a flying feck about winning any silverware. Our spending is in line with glazers ambition.

Building a title winning team will not happen overnight or over a decade with glazers at the helm.
Both of your examples had hired managers mid season.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!

Selling half of your clubs merchandising rights, tv rights and what not isn't exactly rebuilding is it? They're destroying their future for the chance at short term success. It's such a risky tactic and if it goes wrong, they're truly screwed

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Do people really care about "how it looks"? If we get him, then we get him and if we don't, move on. I've been a United fan for 34 years and in that time I've seen plenty turn us down - Lineker, Gazza, Shearer, Kluivert, Kewell etc.... I really couldn't give two shits about what people unconnected with United think, I don't really care what a lot of people with United think either.
Good point. It’s a sign of the times. Fans nowadays seem to worry more about saving face than anything. I don’t get it

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Rebuilds don't happen overnight but I don't think we could have done a worse job at attempting the first phase of ours so far this summer if we tried.

We signed an inexperienced left back, a free transfer, and another center back, the only position we actually do have enough (albeit not great) players in. Our total net spend so far is about £50m. Even if we did get FDJ that would only take us to about £110-120m, despite the monstrous amount we've saved in wages from the departures we've already had. We're about to go into the first game of the season with, arguably, a weaker team than the one that we finished last season with. We somehow need more of a rebuild now than we did at the beginning of the summer!

cyberman

Why would anybody be unhappy when the deal was never on in the first place? It’s the overrating of de Jong based on us being linked that should be looked at, not some sort of negative gloating

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Selling half of your clubs merchandising rights, tv rights and what not isn't exactly rebuilding is it? They're destroying their future for the chance at short term success. It's such a risky tactic and if it goes wrong, they're truly screwed
We are already screwed.

If you don't shoot you'll never score.

El-Manos

Good point. It’s a sign of the times. Fans nowadays seem to worry more about saving face than anything. I don’t get it
It's more the fact we've wasted several months chasing a player who had no interest in coming here in the first place. These resources would have been better invested in getting a compatible midfielder in who actually wants to come. We've lost Pogba & Matic. This is simply not good enough.

NZT-One

Yeah I don't think I'll ever be able to understand this. It's a beta-male personality trait.
I'll make sure to remind you about those pearls of wisdom, when FDJ joins and some on here will celebrate "never in doubt" and "knew it all along"

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i’m mostly concerned about ensuring our shareholders get maximum value for their stock in our once great club.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Both of your examples had hired managers mid season.
Ten hag has been here for many months also.

We did not allow rangnick to buy in the transfer window because he was an interim and now we haven't done shit with a permanent manager.

Im still seething we didn't put in a bid for alvarez when his agent had first offered him to us before flying all over europe for prospective clubs.

Judas

Open to offers
The people still believing this is happening are like creationists who believe dinosaur fossils were put here to test their faith. Fair play to you all :lol:
That seems wildly extreme. This really isn't dead dead yet. The news today really doesn't change anything.

Once we actually hear more from the De Jong side of things, then it gets spicy.

redcucumber

If Chelsea swoop in and the issue of the $17m is suddenly resolved it'll put a proper downer on the start of the season. Can't the Glazers cough up a bit of their own dough for once to get shit sorted.

TheHeya

My web browser will be pleased to know I’m packing up my stuff and moving to the Neves thread.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Rebuilds don't happen overnight but I don't think we could have done a worse job at attempting the first phase of ours so far this summer if we tried.

We signed an inexperienced left back, a free transfer, and another center back, the only position we actually do have enough (albeit not great) players in. Our total net spend so far is about £50m. Even if we did get FDJ that would only take us to about £110-120m, despite the monstrous amount we've saved in wages from the departures we've already had. We're about to go into the first game of the season with, arguably, a weaker team than the one that we finished last season with. We somehow need more of a rebuild now than we did at the beginning of the summer!
Oh yeah there's obviously failings at the club that are the reason why we're so fecked. I'm just surprised at some people who just "expect" us to have players begging to join us. It flies in the face of reality a little and I'm worried that they'll never be satisfied because they're setting the bar so artificially high at the moment. Other clubs doing rebuilds haven't had a decade of mismanagement quite like ours.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Oh no... there might be banter from rival fans and paddy power adverts taking the piss... my life may as well end now....

United have been a laughing stock for about 9 years now. I'm not sure it can be worse than last season on that front and we all survived it. Thicken your skin fellow muppets.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If FDJ goes to Chelsea Woodwards era will look efficient compared to what's happened under Arnold this summer

Last season was worse than the Moyes one and this summer is looking worse than the Summer of Moyes and Fellaini as well

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah this isn't happening. At the start said it was a dream signing but didn't think there was a chance.... Slowly grew to believe it would happen because of the ten hag link, but clearly our years of shite has had an impact that he just didn't want to come here. How we chased him for so long only for him to go elsewhere is pathetic really. We'll see if there is any last minute twist, but if he goes there, then it'll truly be shambolic from us.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Oh yeah there's obviously failings at the club that are the reason why we're so fecked. I'm just surprised at some people who just "expect" us to have players begging to join us. It flies in the face of reality a little and I'm worried that they'll never be satisfied because they're setting the bar so artificially high at the moment. Other clubs doing rebuilds haven't had a decade of mismanagement quite like ours.
Oh god yeah, which is always why I've found it so hilarious that so many people in this thread have been adamant for months that FDJ was a done deal.

Also, sad, and I'm sad too, because a small part of me hoped the club may have finally learnt from past mistakes and knew what they were doing with this transfer. Alas, that looks unlikely :(

Loony BoB

It's the same in a lot of things. US politics most of all. They'll defend the worst things they can imagine if it helps them look like they were right all along. It's a very bad trait that humanity needs far less of. The best way to deal with it is to not vilify people when they change their mind / admit they were wrong or misled. Gotta praise people who "see the light".

Personally for de Jong, I don't mind if we get him or not. I voiced my opinion earlier about my apprehension at buying from other "big clubs" - it's something that I don't see as having any history of success with United. I always prefer the free transfers or the buys from "lower tier" teams and I feel that all our best players in the past 22 years have been exactly that. I'd be happy to see more Malacia-esque deals being made in the coming weeks, personally.

Walters_19_MuFc

We actually still have quite a while until the window shuts, but I can't see us doing all that business, unfortunately. I do think a centre midfielder and winger are imperative, though.

buckooo1978

sobering and a reality check for many if he goes to Chelsea....

just a shame the Glazers arent bothered about us being the elite football club in England.

Ten Hag's challenge will be to get us back up there against clubs that are better run and better funded.

Stick to the principles and get the right player at the right price

Status
Not open for further replies.