Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

USREDEVIL

This can't be right. What on earth is this all about? :confused:
If their agents are the ones who negotiated the contracts for them, how on earth could they later say "yeah that contract you signed was invalid, sorry." Their agents would defend the contract to the hilt. Makes no sense at all. The report must be garbage.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality

From being owed 17m in unpaid wages to owing Barcelona for invalid contracts. Man, FDJ bro I did tell you to get out of there sharpish :lol:
let's offer FDJ 50M in a wages packet over 4 seasons and a 20M signing bonus to soften the blow.

And Ter Stegen you're welcome at the club too.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Good lord, so they could be free agents?!
Not ideal since more clubs would be interested, which would be annoying for us since Frenkie's agent would need to phone them all up and say "sorry, but Manchester is Red" thus delaying our big announcement somewhat.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

From being owed 17m in unpaid wages to owing Barcelona for invalid contracts. Man, FDJ bro I did tell you to get out of there sharpish :lol:
Bet he cant get out of there quick enough now:lol:

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I'm just stupidly confused by it all now. I just get the feeling that there is so much more going on that we know. ten Hag must know something to keep him confident that he'll get him
Absolutely. There’ll be a new name tomorrow I’m sure

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

If he goes back to his 2019 contract then Barcelona owe him the money that was moved beyond 2022. Barcelona reduced wages between 20-22, they didn't increase them.

Nico87

If they have to give money back as the contracts are invalid, does this mean they were playing illegally and shouldn’t Barca then face a significant point deduction?

Flexdegea

The comments from Barca fans are insane.

They seem to be glad the players are getting punished, like they are the enemies in this one even after them doing the club a favour and taking the pay cut to help them out over covid.

Horrible club and fanbase

lysglimt

Scout
I am getting a little nervous - when I started working for my present company a year ago - I was offered a salary which was £500 more a month than I realistically was hoping for. With Barcas logic - chances are the CEO could claim it was criminal to overpay me and drag me to court to accept a lower salary :)

sewey89

Imagine how Lenglet feels.. sat chilling in North London and gets a call telling him that his wage is being halved and he owes Barca money :lol:

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He was born in 1997 so probably started following football around 2003 at least, exactly when Chelsea were bought by Abramovich. They have been more successful than United since. Same number of league titles, more CL wins, more FA Cup wins, way more successful in Europe and way more successful in the last decade. We have been a complete non-factor for almost a decade.
Has the chance to play with the two best players of all time who he grew up idolising.

Rather than Mason effing Mount.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
If they have to give money back as the contracts are invalid, does this mean they were playing illegally and shouldn’t Barca then face a significant point deduction?
Barca should be accountable yeah its the club not the players fault.

USREDEVIL

I am getting a little nervous - when I started working for my present company a year ago - I was offered a salary which was £500 more a month than I realistically was hoping for. With Barcas logic - chances are the CEO could claim it was criminal to overpay me and drag me to court to accept a lower salary :)
You thief. Get out of their company!

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Absolutely. There’ll be a new name tomorrow I’m sure
As i say, the Chelsea interest does seem a bit suspicious to me, just in the sense that its always seemed like it's been pushed from the Barca side, not the Chelsea side.

The interest is real, i accept that, but i just feel that they're throwing their name in as it's a big name and they just want to be seen as chasing everyone. If the chance actually arises to sign him (unless it's on a free), i just don't see them coughing up €80m + any wages (if applicable). I just think that they'll have bigger holes in the squad to fill and they'll definitely need a striker.

I really don't know though, as with most of the journos, its purely my own opinion

lysglimt

Scout
Who has adjudicated the validity of these contracts? Sounds like Barca is putting some PR out there to put even more pressure on FDJ and others, to get the feck out of their club.
Barcas logic is that the previous president has nothing to do with the current Barcelona - and hence his agreements should not be valid.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If they could actually get the inside scoop from all involved it might be the first football documentary I actually go out of my way to watch.
Imagine if amazon or someone had one of those all or nothing documentaries in operation at the time.

ATXRedDevil

If the new contract is invalid and the old contract thus still in effect, then surely Barca owe him the ~$18 million reduced salary from '20-21 and '21-22 that was spread out over the last four years of the new contract. And presumably owe him that regardless of whether he stays as they would have breached the contract by underpaying him. Plus, he'd only be tied down until 2024. This doesn't seem like something positive for Barca.

Loony BoB

The thing is, Champions League shouldn't be a decider. It's a season by season thing, theres nothing saying that Chelsea won't have a shitty season and finish 5th, whilst United actually get their crap together and finish 3rd. I think there will be a lot more to it than just CL in all honesty
To be fair, a betting man would say there's a better chance of Chelsea getting CL football next season than United at present. Now, I hope that's not the case, but from an outsider perspective Chelsea tend to do better than United over the past decade when it comes to staying in the top 4. We tend to be a bit more sporadic - capable of getting 2nd more often than Chelsea in the past five years, but also capable of getting 5th or lower more often too. United is fairly unstable at the moment, with low quality amongst the ranks. Chelsea have arguably better quality amongst their ranks, and are only unstable in their ownership, not so much in anything else (as far as we can tell from this transfer window).

sewey89

As i say, the Chelsea interest does seem a bit suspicious to me, just in the sense that its always seemed like it's been pushed from the Barca side, not the Chelsea side.

The interest is real, i accept that, but i just feel that they're throwing their name in as it's a big name and they just want to be seen as chasing everyone. If the chance actually arises to sign him (unless it's on a free), i just don't see them coughing up €80m + any wages (if applicable). I just think that they'll have bigger holes in the squad to fill and they'll definitely need a striker.

I really don't know though, as with most of the journos, its purely my own opinion
I thought that until Matt Law, Ornstein etc got involved and I believe one of them has said they’re willing to pay the asking price? But I can’t remember any more

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
If the new contract is invalid and the old contract thus still in effect, then surely Barca owe him the ~$18 million reduced salary from '20-21 and '21-22 that was spread out over the last four years of the new contract. And presumably owe him that regardless of whether he stays as they would have breached the contract by underpaying him. Plus, he'd only be tied down until 2024. This doesn't seem like something positive for Barca.
Unless the new contract somehow broke the old one, I guess it depends on the wording in the contracts, It'd be beyond great if somehow United just give him a juicy signing on fee and higher wages and still had room to buy more players

USREDEVIL

Barcas logic is that the previous president has nothing to do with the current Barcelona - and hence his agreements should not be valid.
They should be signing contracts with Barcelona, not the president. Party 1 = Barca ; Party 2 = FDJ. The person who signs for the company (maybe the pres) has authority to act on behalf of the company. The contract should not become invalid simply because the authorized rep leaves.

ATXRedDevil

Unless the new contract somehow broke the old one, I guess it depends on the wording in the contracts, It'd be beyond great if somehow United just give him a juicy signing on fee and higher wages and still had room to buy more players
Right. Either the contract reverts to the old one or there just isn't any contract and he's a free agent. Either way seems not good for Barca? This is the weirdest transfer saga ever...

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
I truly want some of the shit they're taking over there. It must make the world look like an amazing place with no problems
I don't want any of what Barcelona's offering. They'll only take me to court for it on the grounds of criminality

Green_Red

The hope that’s keeping me going on this saga is that there’s no way even Manchester United would have stayed in for Frenkie Dis Long unless management had been told in confidence that Frenkie was open to the move but wanted to get the deferred wages sorted out first.
I think you stumbled across a meme name for him...

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I don't want any of what Barcelona's offering. They'll only take me to court for it on the grounds of criminality
Very very true... they'll offer you something saying it's the best thing they have, then say it's illegal and that you're getting screwed big time.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Barca are the one creating the contracts, so how can it be void and the players at fault? They never engaged in to have a new contract, they were engaged by Barca to help the club at the time.

I’m no lawyer but this is certainly a bunch of nonsense and would take a lot of time in court to sort out.

Loony BoB

Guys, I do worry that if we manage to buy FDJ from Barcelona that after we pay them for him, they'll insist that the contract was illegal and we'll have to give FDJ back. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.