Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I do think we'll make some kind of last push for him. A lot can happen in the next 11 or so days.

Don't you find it odd how the Chelsea rumours have suddenly gone too... hmmm
Yeah ive noticed how quiet our blue chums have been recently, maybe just maybe their links to FDJ were to make us panic and up our (already agreed) fee? Wouldn’t put anything past Barca

El-Manos

It sounds to me like we think we’ve strengthened our hand and believe that Barca have been trying to play a game all summer and could well be desperate to offload him before the window shut. If that’s the case then we’re open to negotiating but won’t be held hostage.
We are definitely in a much better position now. Our offer should be significantly lower if he does become “available” again.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
After all this summer bullshit, I’ll be so happy to see Dejong rot on the bench at Barca or play fullback :keano:

croadyman

well if we are going to pay 100m for Antony, the money is definitely there.
Yeah that's the part I don't get about walking away from this deal for now, we seemingly have the funds to make it happen but looking to spend elsewhere.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Yeah that's the part I don't get about walking away from this deal for now, we seemingly have the funds to make it happen but looking to spend elsewhere.
Because it’s blatantly obvious that the player has no intention of leaving Barcelona.

This was never about deferred wages, he just never wanted to leave.

I’m sure we’ll be back in for him if things change with FdJ.

croadyman

Because it’s blatantly obvious that the player has no intention of leaving Barcelona.

This was never about deferred wages, he just never wanted to leave.

I’m sure we’ll be back in for him if things change with FdJ.
Hope so but we still need a ball playing CM now

croadyman

Either way if Frenkie doesn’t happen next week, I don’t think it ever will. We may have missed our chance on this guy, if we ever really had one.
Yeah that's the part we don't truly know, maybe could still get him next summer IF back in Champions League but looks unlikely he will actually want to leave then.

DutchCruijff

Not sure why folk are saying we can't afford him.

Fees are paid in installments. The only issue here would be cash flow.

We can easily cover his wages considering we've freed up £1m+ which has covered our signings (Casemiro - 300K, Martinez - 200K, Eriksen - 200K, Malacia - 100K and Antony - 200K). Another £350K a week on top of that is a non issue.

So not an issue of affording him at all unless we have cash flow issues that we can't cover £20m in the next 12 months which I highly doubt.

Bernardo is irrelevant to this topic too. If Barca hold onto him, he will most certainly have his wage issue resolved this year. In other words, Barca WILL have to pay the €20m on top of €25m in salary and forego €85m this summer.

United's hand has been very much strengthened by signing Casemiro ergo the "highly unlikely to sign" briefs.

This was always going to go to the end. Do I think we sign him? No. But is this as dead in the water as suggested/as seen? Far from it.

Barca want United to cover £10-17m of his deferred salary, depending on how one sees it. United don't want to cover it unless they have to. Will go down to the wire.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Not sure why folk are saying we can't afford him.

Fees are paid in installments. The only issue here would be cash flow.

We can easily cover his wages considering we've freed up £1m+ which has covered our signings (Casemiro - 300K, Martinez - 200K, Eriksen - 200K, Malacia - 100K and Antony - 200K). Another £350K a week on top of that is a non issue.

So not an issue of affording him at all unless we have cash flow issues that we can't cover £20m in the next 12 months which I highly doubt.

Bernardo is irrelevant to this topic too. If Barca hold onto him, he will most certainly have his wage issue resolved this year. In other words, Barca WILL have to pay the €20m on top of €25m in salary and forego €85m this summer.

United's hand has been very much strengthened by signing Casemiro ergo the "highly unlikely to sign" briefs.

This was always going to go to the end. Do I think we sign him? No. But is this as dead in the water as suggested/as seen? Far from it.

Barca want United to cover £10-17m of his deferred salary, depending on how one sees it. United don't want to cover it unless they have to. Will go down to the wire.
I think the Glazers will authorise Murtough go above & beyond to make sure we get FdJ.
I have mentioned before, its may be part of the window dressing approach to making United look attractive again as a squad before they sell.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Of course he's relevant. If Frenkie leaves without a replacement, we lack quality in midfield. Gavi is way too young to carry a season and Pedri can't play all the games either. That only leaves Kessie and he has other, physical qualities. Laporta will bite the bullet in this case, because Xavi will force him to. Then the story continues in winter with the hope to exchange him for Silva.

OrcaFat

Yeah that's the part we don't truly know, maybe could still get him next summer IF back in Champions League but looks unlikely he will actually want to leave then.
Yeah he would have preferred to stay. The “fact” is that Barca want the money from his transfer fee and they want him off the wage bill. They want to sell him. They can make it unpleasant for him (they already have). If they make him a decent settlement offer he will leave I’m sure. He will always have the stronger negotiating position but there will come a point where leaving is preferable to him as well.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
If Sergio biscuits is outta there next year, Frenkie makes the pívot his own. He has to sit tight for a year, ride out the storm and he gets exactly what he wants.

DutchCruijff

Of course he's relevant. If Frenkie leaves without a replacement, we lack quality in midfield. Gavi is way too young to carry a season and Pedri can't play all the games either. That only leaves Kessie and he has other, physical qualities. Laporta will bite the bullet in this case, because Xavi will force him to. Then the story continues in winter with the hope to exchange him for Silva.
It's not relevant because beggars can't be choosers.

You have Pedri, Gavi, Busquets, Kessie, Roberto and (to a lesser extent) Pjanic.

Is it ideal? Far from it.

But Barca's financial situation is far from ideal. And you're not getting Bernardo for anything less than €80m and City won't sell in January thus you're stuck with paying De Jong's €20m deferred salary AND his €25m salary.

GloryHunter07

It sounds to me like we think we’ve strengthened our hand and believe that Barca have been trying to play a game all summer and could well be desperate to offload him before the window shut. If that’s the case then we’re open to negotiating but won’t be held hostage.
I get the feeling that Barca’s game has been to scare him into staying on a lower contract.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Turns out this was just Sancho thread v1. The transfer happens in the long awaited sequel.

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
It's not relevant because beggars can't be choosers.

You have Pedri, Gavi, Busquets, Kessie, Roberto and (to a lesser extent) Pjanic.

Is it ideal? Far from it.

But Barca's financial situation is far from ideal. And you're not getting Bernardo for anything less than €80m and City won't sell in January thus you're stuck with paying De Jong's €20m deferred salary AND his €25m salary.
No no, it very much is relevant. Xavi wants Bernardo to REPLACE Frenkie de Jong. No way he accepts going in to the season with those midfield options.

Roberto is not a midfielder also, he's a RB these days.

Barca aren't desperate to sell anymore, Kounde with be registered once we sell Auba as said many times. Dest + Memphis leaving will allow us to sign a cheap RB and Xavi has cooled interest in Alonso. It's not a beggars can't be choosers situation and United's money isn't needed unless Bernardo Silva is possible.

OrcaFat

If he stays he gets his money. Barca cannot pay him anything else than what he is contractually obligated to earn.
True but they will keep briefing against him, he will suffer a lot of resentment from the guys who agreed to pay cuts and Barca will keep trying sell him. Unless he is extremely thick-skinned he won’t enjoy it.

OrcaFat

No no, it very much is relevant. Xavi wants Bernardo to REPLACE Frenkie de Jong. No way he accepts going in to the season with those midfield options.

Barca aren't desperate to sell anymore, Kounde with be registered once we sell Auba as said many times. Dest + Memphis leaving will allow us to sign a cheap RB and Xavi has cooled interest in Alonso. It's not a beggars can't be choosers situation and United's money isn't needed unless Bernardo Silva is possible.
I think they are desperate to sell him and get him off the wage bill. Denials of this are comical.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting

Rainfall alone does not constitute a storm. Thunder is required.

DutchCruijff

I don't think you understand the severity of Barca's financial situation.

You randomly think just cos' players have been registered that the situation still isn't worthy of selling non necessary assets?

If United are willing to cover (part) of De Jong's deferred salary, De Jong goes REGARDLESS of Bernardo moving to Barca.

Laporta is not going to pass up on €95-100m and saving €25m this season on a player that doesn't even fit Xavi's system.

We pay the deferred salary? De Jong goes if De Jong wants, Bernardo coming or not? Irrelevant. Barca can go for him next summer or in January, if they want. They can also go for a stop gap.

DutchCruijff

This idea that Barca want him to stay beyond this summer is laughable.

His deferred salary situation will be resolved if he stays. He's not gonna sit on his hands for 12 months. I presume there would be a legal case.

Best thing for Barca is to have a club (partially) cover his deferred salary.

This is a matter of €15-20m.

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
I don't think you understand the severity of Barca's financial situation.

You randomly think just cos' players have been registered that the situation still isn't worthy of selling non necessary assets?

If United are willing to cover (part) of De Jong's deferred salary, De Jong goes REGARDLESS of Bernardo moving to Barca.

Laporta is not going to pass up on €95-100m and saving €25m this season on a player that doesn't even fit Xavi's system.

We pay the deferred salary? De Jong goes if De Jong wants, Bernardo coming or not? Irrelevant. Barca can go for him next summer or in January, if they want. They can also go for a stop gap.
United are willing to cover his deferred wages, as are Chelsea, you are desperate and throwing money around with reckless disregard right now. Offering 100mil for Antony who has proven nothing outside of a weak league yet won't pay 17mil to complete the deal for the one player ten Hag really wants? Come on man. You or Chelsea could pay that right now, Barca would be happy to accept but the player will likely refuse to leave.

Most cules wanted Bernardo but if a player decides he isn't leaving and has a long contract, there is nothing anyone can do.

Also, I do understand the severity of the situation but selling top players isn't the path we took. We have taken massive risks financially with levers this summer and we simply cannot afford to fail this season, La liga is a must and all our eggs are in that basket. Selling Frenkie (who can be a top player) and replacing him with a stop gap signing like Soler for example makes no sense and Xavi won't accept that thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.