Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurencio

I would argue the trunks coming down is unfortunate, but nothing to get yourself worked up about.

The shitting yourself in public is definitely embarrassing :eek:!!

In all seriousness, I am not embarrassed by our actions.

I think Barca have a shit show on their hands. It will amaze me if down the road, they do not have some serious consequences for their current actions!
You mean like losing their star player, selling their naming rights to Spotify, having to drop Unicef as a sponsor and not being able to afford registering their players without selling part of their future every single year?

Brophs

The One and Only
I absolutely think this won’t happen BUT the wording is quite deliberate from all journos now. They could easily have just said it’s over (as Whitwell did tbf). “Almost certainly”, “highly unlikely”. I think we’d still take him under very favourable terms but beyond that, it’s another day’s work.

You’re honestly going to argue the De Jong chase hasn’t been a complete embarrassment? Good luck.
What's embarrassing about it?

I thought the only idea people had of it being in some way "embarrassing" was the idea that FdJ would want to leave Barca for this shitty city and crap non-CL club.

Yet we've just signed a better midfielder, with a miles bigger trophy cabinet, from a better club, a club that won FDJ's league last season and the Champions League to boot, a Ballon d'Or shortlisted CM at that.

So clearly we can attract a player from a better club, and from a nicer City than Manchester, so why has the approach for Frenkie been a complete embarrassment? If we end up without him so took Casemiro instead, who the feck is "embarrassed" by that? :lol:

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
I absolutely think this won’t happen BUT the wording is quite deliberate from all journos now. They could easily have just said it’s over (as Whitwell did tbf). “Almost certainly”, “highly unlikely”. I think we’d still take him under very favourable terms but beyond that, it’s another day’s work.
Yep. It‘s as if they had an interest in keeping this alive so this thread goes Muppet2000.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think it’s obvious he’s not moving.

IF that changes I’m certain the club will be in for him. You’d have to be daft to think they’d agree everything and put lots of work in quite publicly to only sit on their hands and let him leave to Chelsea late in the window.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

It sounds to me like we think we’ve strengthened our hand and believe that Barca have been trying to play a game all summer and could well be desperate to offload him before the window shut. If that’s the case then we’re open to negotiating but won’t be held hostage.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It sounds to me like we think we’ve strengthened our hand and believe that Barca have been trying to play a game all summer and could well be desperate to offload him before the window shut. If that’s the case then we’re open to negotiating but won’t be held hostage.
I agree, the tables have turned. We don't need FDJ to make our transfer window successful now, we've withdrawn our first offer that was agreed, not sure why we'd pay the same now.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I doubt we buy him or csn afford him now, but maybe he sees we improve the team and could follow along

Castia

He hasn't done any such thing.

6 fecking times :lol:

Still believe Barca will be forced to sell before the window closes.
Been said by at least 10 separate journalists between both Spain and England that he doesn’t fancy Manchester, pretty obviously been briefed all summer.

OpenIntrovert

You have to understand that the media's job is to keep the "mill" running. If they said everything about the Frenkie deal in 1 article, they would have nothing to go about for the next articles. So they will always keep an imaginary gate open until it is the end of the transfer window.

Right from the start, the FDJ deal was very straightforward. Manchester United and Barcelona had already come to agreement, but we can't get FDJ to agree to a contract because of what is owed to him by Barcelona. Until Barcelona gives him his due, there is no way he is going to leave. A simple matter made to look like a Lord of the Rings trilogy by the media.

OpenIntrovert

Been said by at least 10 separate journalists between both Spain and England that he doesn’t fancy Manchester, pretty obviously been briefed all summer.
None of the journos know what is happening with the deal. Since they have no news, they will make stories like "Frenkie's missus prefers Barcelona" to drive the idea that deal fell through because of this. The media only knows something when the agents or the club PR gives them some information. Otherwise they are as clueless as us.

The reality is that the deal looks bleak, but it is still not over as FDJ is playing the waiting game with Barcelona regarding the deferred payments.

RedMilo

We 100% still need a player like De Jong. Casemiro will work hard, take no prisoners and will pass it well. What he won't do is carry the ball through the lines. FDJ remains to me the most important signing we could make now ahead of Antony or indeed any other position. Obviously we still need 5 players but we are not going to get them done in one window.

WPMUFC

You have to understand that the media's job is to keep the "mill" running. If they said everything about the Frenkie deal in 1 article, they would have nothing to go about for the next articles. So they will always keep an imaginary gate open until it is the end of the transfer window.

Right from the start, the FDJ deal was very straightforward. Manchester United and Barcelona had already come to agreement, but we can't get FDJ to agree to a contract because of what is owed to him by Barcelona. Until Barcelona gives him his due, there is no way he is going to leave. A simple matter made to look like a Lord of the Rings trilogy by the media.
which then goes to my earlier rant that if the problem is this simple, and we are in panic mode which we obviously are, why are we willing to pay a huge fee for Casemiro and now allegedly overpay a HUGE fee for Antony but not deal with FDJs issue? Surely in a full blown panic you try to pay FDJs "owed" wages in some tricky contract language and actually sign your main target? We might be about to pay 30-40 million more for Antony because Ajax stuck a "feck off" fee on his head, but for almost an entire window we couldn't stomach paying even 20 million to fix the FDJ-Barca problem?

fergosaurus

I still have a glimmer of hope for this one. If a deal can be done this window it makes sense to close it now while other top clubs are out of the race. If Frenkie was having doubts about coming to us the prospect of playing alongside Casemiro will have went a long way to alleviating some of those concerns.

TheLord

Based on the speed of the Casemiro signing (I know, slightly different context), it seems that Barca are really the ones giving us the runaround here (I know, no big revelation).

If it took all of 3 days to get the Brazilian in, then clearly Arnold/Murtough can’t be all that bad, regardless of all the ridicule that’s been directed at them. I’m not saying they’re completely blameless, but this FdJ spectacle must be especially toxic.
Real Madrid are probably preparing for the eventual arrival of Mbappe next summer. Nothing less than €200 million will be enough for that transfer. I think the urgency was on the part of Real Madrid when they realised that they could get €80-odd million for a 30-year-old in a position they are fairly well-covered at. Real Madrid would never sell one of their prized assets if they were not very happy with the money offered.

Nothing to do with Arnold/Murtough's (in)competencies.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Real Madrid are probably preparing for the eventual arrival of Mbappe next summer. Nothing less than €200 million will be enough for that transfer. I think the urgency was on the part of Real Madrid when they realised that they could get €80-odd million for a 30-year-old in a position they are fairly well-covered at.

Nothing to do with Arnold/Murtough's (in)competencies.
To be honest I think that ship has sailed for them, the relationship deteriorated too much and Madrid fans ain't the most forgiving type.

TheLord

To be honest I think that ship has sailed for them, the relationship deteriorated too much and Madrid fans ain't the most forgiving type.
I don't see another goalscorer better than Mbappe and Haaland in the next few seasons (assuming injuries don't happen). Their respective rich club owners may never sell them, which is completely understandable but I don’t think that will deter Real Madrid from trying their level best.

Benzema will be 36-year-old by the end of next season and probably finished as an elite striker. When was the last time Real Madrid didn't have the world's top two/three goalscorers of that generation? You will have to go as back far as the 90's before the time of Raúl González.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I don't see another goalscorer better than Mbappe and Haaland in the next few seasons (assuming injuries don't happen). Their respective rich club owners may never sell them, which is completely understandable but I don’t think that will deter Real Madrid from trying their level best.

Benzema will be 36-year-old by the end of next season and probably finished as an elite striker. When was the last time Real Madrid didn't have the world's top two/three goalscorers of that generation? You will have to go as back far as the 90's before the time of Raúl González.
Someone's fresh always comes around each season, maybe it's gonna be that sesko boy who's on the verge of having a breakout season, maybe someone we haven't even heard from.

They will try their best obviously but as it stands Mbappe has seemingly burned all the bridges leading to Madrid and city are not gonna let gof haland that easily so o doubt it will be either of those 2.

Laurencio

That Youssoufa Moukoko at Dortmund looks like a proper talent, could well be he is the next big thing.

croadyman

What's embarrassing about it?

I thought the only idea people had of it being in some way "embarrassing" was the idea that FdJ would want to leave Barca for this shitty city and crap non-CL club.

Yet we've just signed a better midfielder, with a miles bigger trophy cabinet, from a better club, a club that won FDJ's league last season and the Champions League to boot, a Ballon d'Or shortlisted CM at that.

So clearly we can attract a player from a better club, and from a nicer City than Manchester, so why has the approach for Frenkie been a complete embarrassment? If we end up without him so took Casemiro instead, who the feck is "embarrassed" by that? :lol:
Just frustrating we still lack this style of player in the midfield that's all, like I just said in Antony thread would rather break bank to get De Jong right now than sign him.

croadyman

We 100% still need a player like De Jong. Casemiro will work hard, take no prisoners and will pass it well. What he won't do is carry the ball through the lines. FDJ remains to me the most important signing we could make now ahead of Antony or indeed any other position. Obviously we still need 5 players but we are not going to get them done in one window.
Yeah exactly we still need him massively, over the moon with signing a world class DM but not gonna lie will be gutted if he ends up going to Chelsea on deadline day

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
This would be some window.

It's not going to happen of course, and it lunacy to suggest it might, but what a window it would be.

Still gutted about Frenkie. Quote me on this, I see him in a Chelsea shirt by 1st September sadly. Going to be a crazy end to window.
He will be a United player on September the 2nd imo.
All we are doing just now is getting the rest of our business done then we will be back in for him.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Do they still want Bernardo?
yes, he is Xavi's first priority, but the chances are nearly zero to get him this summer. It's too late in the window and City won't release him anymore, not for a humane sum anyways.

And if Xavi doesn't get Silva, he won't let Laporta sell Frenkie. A few minutes ago, he confirmed the importance of Frenkie.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
yes, he is Xavi's first priority, but the chances are nearly zero to get him this summer. It's too late in the window and City won't release him anymore, not for a humane sum anyways.

And if Xavi doesn't get Silva, he won't let Laporta sell Frenkie. A few minutes ago, he confirmed the importance of Frenkie.

Thanks, I guess we just have to wait and see what happens.

Rolaholic

Most pointless saga ever

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
He will be a United player on September the 2nd imo.
All we are doing just now is getting the rest of our business done then we will be back in for him.
I do think we'll make some kind of last push for him. A lot can happen in the next 11 or so days.

Don't you find it odd how the Chelsea rumours have suddenly gone too... hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.