Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

redcucumber

Frenkie + Bissouma would be a dream midfield reconstruction for me. On paper it’s title-winning level.
A Bissouma + Robert Sanchez double swoop would be great.

But yeh, a De Jong - Bissouma midfield base would give us a fantastic platform.

Noc-Z

ffs
Good post and I agree that it’s a tough sell but I don’t believe for one minute Ten Hag is getting him to sign up to a 5 year rebuild. No chance he’s coming if we are telling him we can win trophy’s in 5 years. Ralf did say after the Liverpool game that it could take 6 years.
But he quickly changed his tune after that and was saying 2/3 transfer windows assume he was told to say that by Murtough.

Ten Hag has clearly got a shorter time frame in mind too as he was not buying into any talk of us not finishing top 4 next year.
No you're right, ten Hag won't get 5 years to win something and de Jong won't wait that long. I should have said that in 5 years time we want to be already back on top. So I'm not talking about top 4 next year as success and maybe 2nd the following year and cup that year or the next year. I mean we want some prolonged success, so yes, in 5 years you want to already be a champion - you want to look back and see where we are now and in 5 years say look at us now...an FA cup, a League title, champions league final....actually achieve within those 5 years not start at the end of them.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
With us not being linked to any other midfielders or defensive midfielders you have to wonder what the plan is here. He plays along side mctominay or Fred with Bruno ahead? Or he plays along side Fred and Mctominay with one of them protecting the back four? Doesn’t particularly excite me to be honest.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think it’s just about same situation as Greenwood at the moment. Or has things happened in Bissoumas case?
Think it’s been a bit different from Greenwood’s from the very beginning tbh.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Neves is nowhere near as good as Frenkie. Rather we wait for Frenkie and potentially miss out than overpay for Neves. Seems to be getting slower by the year.

I'd like Bissouma as well.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No big teams are even linked to bissouma. I wonder why. Just fans displaying their morals
Nor is anyone saying anything negative about him either. And teams have been linked to Bissouma anyway.

The man hasn’t even been charged with anything and at this point, probably won’t be.

Beaucoup

It would be nice to have another world class midfielder. hopefully our No1 target.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Nor is anyone saying anything negative about him either. And teams have been linked to Bissouma anyway.
Who? Apart from Villa who purchased someone else

no club will say anything negative because it’s still unproven. They very reason they won’t spend 40m on him either. It’s a wait and see policy for them all I think

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Who? Apart from Villa who purchased someone else

no club will say anything negative because it’s still unproven. They very reason they won’t spend 40m on him either. It’s a wait and see policy for them all I think
Villa didn’t buy anyone, they picked up a freebie and are still linked. As are Monaco and Roma recently.

It’s not ‘unproven’ - there is no charge at all. And I’m not talking about ‘clubs’ saying anything negative, they wouldn’t even if it was proven, I’m talking about absolutely nobody. Bissouma was arrested 8 months ago as part of a group of people due to an allegation of sexual assault at a club, and was released without charge, is not awaiting trial and was not even considered an issue worthy of being suspended over or causing any sort of real media conversation.

Do you think Villa are happy to spend 40m on a sex offender because they are not a ‘big club’?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Barca will never admit that they HAVE to sell Frenkie or it kills off their transfer fee leverage. And conversely, if there is 'hesitation' on Frenkie's part, then what United can do is to throw in a bigger transfer fee/salary to ensure that Barca will sell Frenkie.

You make everything in the grey zone to negotiate ie who is willing to walk away has the most leverage and negotiation power. Barca will know that United has to support ETH. And they also know that ETH knows Frenkie and must really want to use Frenkie as the foundation to how a ETH's United will play. They know its very specific. Thats why they think they have leverage.
Maybe. I think Laporte saying he wants some players to take a half pay cut, owing Pique a fortune in back wages (€50m?) and the world knowing they’re trying to get Lewandowski means they shouldn’t be telling us what’s what… though our recent history of negotiations isn’t great.

If we’re ever going to finally throw away our reputation for silly fees/wages, we’ve got to start drawing (realistic) lines in the sand (fees, wages and timescales). If that means we tell TH we tried but he’ll have to go with option B, so be it.

RatPack

When FDJ eventually turns us down. Who will we turn to instead in desperation?
If we wait as long as normal most of the players already mentioned will have found another club or signed a new contract.
This transfer window is already beginning to smell of old times :-(

golden_blunder

Staff
Villa didn’t buy anyone, they picked up a freebie and are still linked. As are Monaco and Roma recently.

It’s not ‘unproven’ - there is no charge at all. And I’m not talking about ‘clubs’ saying anything negative, they wouldn’t even if it was proven, I’m talking about absolutely nobody. Bissouma was arrested 8 months ago as part of a group of people due to an allegation of sexual assault at a club, and was released without charge, is not awaiting trial and was not even considered an issue worthy of being suspended over or causing any sort of real media conversation.

Do you think Villa are happy to spend 40m on a sex offender because they are not a ‘big club’?
No charge but he still officially remains under investigation. It seems like he is suspected of something by the police but they can’t prove it. His mate is on bail for whatever it was.

I’m saying that no PL team will spend 40m on him whilst this hangs over his head. He may move abroad possibly or he may hang on to see if he can clear his name but as things stand it’s an unwise investment.

imagine the PR if United bought him and it’s proven a year later that he did something. On top of greenwood case. I’m certain we won’t go there. Not that our sponsors would want us too

re Kamara you’re being a little pedantic because I said bought instead of signed. You knew what I meant

Telsim

"Top priority target for MUFC"
"Barca have yet to receive an offer for Frenkie de Jong"
"MUFC set mid-June as deadline for FDJ deal"
"MUFC are preparing for a drawn out pursuit of FDJ"

Seems like no one has any clue what's going on. :lol:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No charge but he still officially remains under investigation. It seems like he is suspected of something by the police but they can’t prove it. His mate is on bail for whatever it was.

I’m saying that no PL team will spend 40m on him whilst this hangs over his head. He may move abroad possibly or he may hang on to see if he can clear his name but as things stand it’s an unwise investment.

imagine the PR if United bought him and it’s proven a year later that he did something. On top of greenwood case. I’m certain we won’t go there. Not that our sponsors would want us too

re Kamara you’re being a little pedantic because I said bought instead of signed. You knew what I meant
I’m not sure how familiar you are with criminal proceedings, but equating ‘released under investigation’ to ‘it seems like he is suspected if something by the police but they can’t prove it’ is a ridiculous leap. His release under investigation is pretty much standard procedure, given that he was of course present with the actual charged at the time of the incident. Any lose connection at all will have you ‘under investigation’- which basically means we reserve the right to ask you anymore questions if needed Mr Bissouma. His mate is on bail but nobody is proposing the club sign his mate.

What you say is extremely unlikely to happen a year from now. I’m not sure what exactly you are waiting to happen before you are willing to allow Bissouma to move on with his career. Are you waiting for him to be ‘cleared’ of a charge that hasn’t even been brought against him? He’s a free man, anyone can be ‘under investigation’ for anything, there is no impending trial against him and he’ll cease to be ‘under investigation’ once his mate’s trial is concluded. There is no announcement for you to be waiting for. Bissouma will naturally be part of the investigation, as will anyone else within 5 metres of the accused and the victim. To me, it seems as if you have misinterpreted Bissouma’s actual ‘legal case’. There isn’t one. There is one against someone associated with.

And re Kamara, I’m not being pedantic at all, clubs are allowed to acquire more than one midfielder, Villa want to buy Bissouma and them picking up Kamara has not changed that according to reports.

Tarrou

some people really are going about their lives as if The Express and The Sun are not making it all up

golden_blunder

Staff
I’m not sure how familiar you are with criminal proceedings, but equating ‘released under investigation’ to ‘it seems like he is suspected if something by the police but they can’t prove it’ is a ridiculous leap. His release under investigation is pretty much standard procedure, given that he was of course present with the actual charged at the time of the incident. Any lose connection at all will have you ‘under investigation’- which basically means we reserve the right to ask you anymore questions if needed Mr Bissouma. His mate is on bail but nobody is proposing the club sign his mate.

What you say is extremely unlikely to happen a year from now. I’m not sure what exactly you are waiting to happen before you are willing to allow Bissouma to move on with his career. Are you waiting for him to be ‘cleared’ of a charge that hasn’t even been brought against him? He’s a free man, anyone can be ‘under investigation’ for anything, there is no impending trial against him and he’ll cease to be ‘under investigation’ once his mate’s trial is concluded. There is no announcement for you to be waiting for. Bissouma will naturally be part of the investigation, as will anyone else within 5 metres of the accused and the victim. To me, it seems as if you have misinterpreted Bissouma’s actual ‘legal case’. There isn’t one. There is one against someone associated with.

And re Kamara, I’m not being pedantic at all, clubs are allowed to acquire more than one midfielder, Villa want to buy Bissouma and them picking up Kamara has not changed that according to reports.
We will agree to disagree. I bet you a tenner (to a charity of choice) that he doesn’t move to any PL team this window

"Top priority target for MUFC"
"Barca have yet to receive an offer for Frenkie de Jong"
"MUFC set mid-June as deadline for FDJ deal"
"MUFC are preparing for a drawn out pursuit of FDJ"

Seems like no one has any clue what's going on. :lol:
The same for almost every transfer … we post so definitively (depending if we’re pro/against player) but don’t really have a scooby doo.

Keyser

Can they? I thought there was some up-coming deadline where they had to sell/bring in X amount of funds or face serious financial repercussions?
Can't pay wages from July 1st was the rumour, also cannot currently register Lewa and others

spiriticon

Another drawn out transfer? No thanks.

We'll end up spending so much energy and money on this that if he does arrive, the expectations will be so high he'll never meet them.

AndySmith1990

This really is one transfer window where we can't afford to dither and waste time. I hope we're working on other targets alongside this one.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We will agree to disagree. I bet you a tenner (to a charity of choice) that he doesn’t move to any PL team this window
Always happy to donate to charity, but I can’t say I have any interest in any such bet as it proves nothing either way. He might go to Real Madrid for all I know.

On the whole, I think you may need to familiarise yourself a little more with what ‘released under investigation’ means in real terms, as I think you have quite aggressively criminalised Bissouma on here for a number of months very prematurely to say the least. Clearly, given your understanding of RUI is that the ‘police seem to think he is guilty of something but can’t prove it.’

Being arrested and charged at this point for Bissouma would be not much more likely than a random cousin of Greenwood also being arrested tomorrow in connection with his case. Not impossible, but highly improbable.

Mainoldo

Everyday there’s something new. I think it’s quite clear it’s all just click bait right now.

Redcy

the problem we have, and always have had is identifying plan Bs. The caf as a rule is funny over this one, people will say we should be identifying plan Bs, but noone ever comes up with any, the ones we are linked to people criticise for being too young, untested or in a lesser league, etc.

Whether or not Bissouma is guilty or not, I don't see United or our sponsors wanting to be linked to another person who has been investigated over sexual allegations/

Neves I think is way too slow, and would leave us needing another midfielder to do all the work.

Kante, I dont see Chelsea letting him come to us easily

Nunes is young and has barely played SL

I am sure people will say why do our scouts keep failing, but the issue we want to remain a top 6 side and buying young/unproven/unknown players is a high risk strategy and I dont see us or ETH committing to that.

Can they? I thought there was some up-coming deadline where they had to sell/bring in X amount of funds or face serious financial repercussions?
Yip, have ‘signed’ Kessie and Cristensen and others apparently lined up but can’t register them until certain criteria met.

I think we have a bit of leverage despite the doom and gloom about Barca are in control of us.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Yip, have ‘signed’ Kessie and Cristensen and others apparently lined up but can’t register them until certain criteria met.

I think we have a bit of leverage despite the doom and gloom about Barca are in control of us.
I agree - I think the ball is probably in our court in regards to Barca and the fact there doesn't appear to be anyone else prepared to match our estimation of him.

The issue, as has been known since day 1, is whether he's prepared to take a step down in coming to play for us. He's currently at his dream club, playing at the top level... can't blame him for wanting to fight for his place there.

Charles Miller

This would be a non history if he was not open to a move. Those kind of deals between two giant clubs tend to be complex. Also the tilt of the earth axis, the lack of palm trees and beaches and not qualifying to the Champions League might be aditional problems.

buchansleftleg

This video was like showing a highlights reel of DVB in a United shirt. Teaching 5 yard passes to Belgium...
This is all very well, but where are the tricky little turns into an opposition player, or running down a blind alley and then giving away possession? Next thing you'll be telling me he doesn't dye his hair or have his own fashion line to sell on the internet! Club has lost it's way clearly!

Sarcasm Alert!

Status
Not open for further replies.