Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

awkwarddutchguy

It is his choice he can stay at Barca and be an bench player for europa league games or come to man utd to play for an coach that knows how to use him

Abraxas

Thank god the process has been activated for a long awaited reference in the center of midfield.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Would be a great start to the transfer window…but we need so much more, like a partner for him for starters. No more half assing it.

DSG

Yeah, starts pretty much every game for Brazil but is somehow not good enough for us.
He plays as a ball winning 8 for Brazil, his responsibility is to win the ball back and give to Neymar, Casemiro, Fabinho, etc. For us, in the McFred configuration, he is relied upon as a distributor. He’s a pretty inaccurate passer of the ball, and not particularly creative. I like him as one of a midfield 3 if he’s an attack dog. Otherwise, he’s a squad player. A bit undisciplined to be a pure 6.

DSG

Would be a great start to the transfer window…but we need so much more, like a partner for him for starters. No more half assing it.
Agree with this. Our best formation is a 4-2-3-1, and I think we need a calmer head — a Fabinho type — to be paired with De Jong.

Abraxas

He plays as a ball winning 8 for Brazil, his responsibility is to win the ball back and give to Neymar, Casemiro, Fabinho, etc. For us, in the McFred configuration, he is relied upon as a distributor. He’s a pretty inaccurate passer of the ball, and not particularly creative. I like him as one of a midfield 3 if he’s an attack dog. Otherwise, he’s a squad player. A bit undisciplined to be a pure 6.
Wouldn't this be the exact role he would play though?

If we're aiming for a De Jong to build play, someone else solid alongside him that is good defensively which we've seen a few links to, there's a space for a pressing third midfielder.

The problem with Fred is we've always had to spread him quite thin as everybody else has been poor and unreliable in all areas of midfield play. If he gets a suitable role next season I'd be confident he could play well, or at least he'd have no excuse.

SeanyC

Jaysus Van Gaal really has it in for us, you see his quotes on De Jong tonight? blame Woodward for his bitterness

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

If we're aiming for a De Jong to build play, someone else solid alongside him that is good defensively which we've seen a few links to, there's a space for a pressing third midfielder.

The problem with Fred is we've always had to spread him quite thin as everybody else has been poor and unreliable in all areas of midfield play. If he gets a suitable role next season I'd be confident he could play well, or at least he'd have no excuse.
The hope is that with the right deep-lying MF player with the required positional acumen a lot of the other parts would function better.

NewYorkRed

Fred would work great with FDJ. His biggest problem right now is that he’s not an excellent passer of the ball and McSauce is even worse. With FDJ dictating play, Fred can just bop around without worrying about carrying the ball forward/advancing play.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
That's a terrible, terrible take. Agents talk to many clubs all the time and sometimes the player doesn't even know about the content of said talks (if they even know they're occuring). Its their job to be ready for anything that could happen and to line up as many offers as they can for their players.

AndySmith1990

Really hope we bring in a good DM to partner him (if indeed the deal goes through)

The thought of signing De Jong only for McTominay to play alongside him is just sad.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Are we still as inept and as crap as the posters in the Nunez make us out to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.