Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trex

The whole DM over all other needs is the perspective of last summer where we were top heavy without an adequate DM to bring thing together under Ole's style.

Now we're barebone at CF position as well as losing the creativity Pogba once offered. ETH came in with different approach (else he would go beg Pogba to stay and pay whatever wage Pogba would demand). Of course we don't need the DM of the same profile as last season. FdJ is a no 6, but in a different/ unique profile that doesn't require an destroyer, defensive babysitter or whatever else people think DM is.

Yes. The other midfielder option like Fred, VdB, especially McTominay needs to be upgraded. This whole DM parroting while ignoring context is similar to how after missing on Essien in 2005, and signed Carrick the following season, people couldn't stop comparing Carrick "short coming" to Roy Keane all season, without seeing the needed change in the approach, back then.

FdJ is a top no.6 when being played correctly.
Can this post be placed somewhere everyone can see all the time, the whole ideal partner for De Jong debate is tiring.

ForeverRed1

So he's a DM? Because I'm not going to lie, this transfer feels a whole lot like the Pogba one where we went for a big name player who doesn't really fit instead of actually addressing the needs of the team. I'm not saying Ten Hag won't be able to get a tune out of him but what's the plan? Bruno, VDB and De Jong in the middle? That's a soft midfield. We still need at least one more midfielder in my opinion and that's more than half our budget on this lad so I hope he's worth it.
He’s not a DM no. He needs a good one with him to get the best out of him. What he will do is be the link between defence and attack, he will spark creativity from the midfield, something we have lacked for years. He is brilliant, technical ability is better than anything we have had in a long long time. He will make things happen in the middle of the park for sure.

If they can bring in a DM and frenkie that’s our midfield in totally different shape.

Pronewbie

Peep
Everyone was excited for us to change our footballing structure, and change our transfer strategy to avoid going for expensive ‘stars’ who don’t want to be here.

Yet here people are, desperately willing for a transfer of someone on +350k/week who quite clearly has little interest at best in moving to our club. People have such short memories ffs.
Pretty much. But that's probably why we parted ways with Rangnick. We still haven't installed a world class sporting director so I guess we have to expect more of the same.

mu4c_20le

Everyone was excited for us to change our footballing structure, and change our transfer strategy to avoid going for expensive ‘stars’ who don’t want to be here.

Yet here people are, desperately willing for a transfer of someone on +350k/week who quite clearly has little interest at best in moving to our club. People have such short memories ffs.
No one said that, you made it up.

Our strategy should be signing players that fit the vision of the manager, and not just signing big names for the sake of social media hits.

AndySmith1990

Can this post be placed somewhere everyone can see all the time, the whole ideal partner for De Jong debate is tiring.
Is it? The entire season consisted of everyone stating over and over that we have no midfield; that every team from top to bottom would overrun and play through our abysmal midfield with ease. Yet now apparently all we need is De Jong to singlehandedly fix the entire midfield issue that has been plaguing us for a decade? Or is Fred/McTominay now good enough? I don't understand the stark contrast in attitude when talking about the midfield

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So he's a DM? Because I'm not going to lie, this transfer feels a whole lot like the Pogba one where we went for a big name player who doesn't really fit instead of actually addressing the needs of the team. I'm not saying Ten Hag won't be able to get a tune out of him but what's the plan? Bruno, VDB and De Jong in the middle? That's a soft midfield. We still need at least one more midfielder in my opinion and that's more than half our budget on this lad so I hope he's worth it.
He’s a central midfielder. We need central midfielders, we just lost our best two on a free. He’s one of the best around, who has played his best football under our current manager. I don’t know how you can watch McTominay and Fred week in week out and question signing a central midfielder whose best assets are he can pass, hold the ball under pressure, and progress through the middle.

In agreement we need another midfielder. I’m almost certain we will target another. It will be De Jong plus another.

But even De Jong alone will be massively transformative for this midfield.

Trex

Is it? The entire season consisted of everyone stating over and over that we have no midfield; that every team from top to bottom would overrun and play through our abysmal midfield with ease. Yet now apparently all we need is De Jong to singlehandedly fix the entire midfield issue that has been plaguing us for a decade? Or is Fred/McTominay now good enough? I don't understand the stark contrast in attitude when talking about the midfield
Because most people think that buying a Rice type DM would fix our issues when the problem is that the whole team don't work a lot, just compare our running stats to our rivals.
Fact is ETH needs to get the whole team pressing and running for each other, the 6 role is that of a "cover" not someone to absolve the whole team of their defensive responsibility.
From what I've seen of De jong he has the positional sense to be that cover, but it won't work with him or any other player unless the front four start doing more work defensively.
Fred as a box to box partner will work effectively in the right set up, although I'm not against buying another midfielder as well.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Every third post in here is "but Di Maria" :lol:

The difference between this and signing random big names who happen to be available is that our manager knows the player, knows his mentality, should be in contact with him and be able to judge whether he'd be coming for the right reasons. This transfer has a lot more in common with LVG taking Reiziger and Kluivert to Barca from Milan than it does with him signing Di Maria here.

ti vu

The issue with what we have is a systematic one as well as personnel. Under Ole, and then what Rangnick inherited is a system not capable to build up, recycle possession through the central midfield. We couldn't control the midfield to earn rest period. This leads to the need for workhorses midfielders to compensate for the host of advanced player, attackers who can't maintain any sustainable pressing plan, either under Ole or Rangnick. Yet these workhorses midfielders are not good enough for that task.

With ETH, I guess the vision is to gain more control of the possession. We can't just go buy player to fix the issue of previous regime while disregarding the vision going forward. As LVG tenure showed, we didn't need allstars in every position to win possession game. The more possession you have the less you have to chase. ETH can coach to that certain level, hopefully.

With that system change, we need certain key players to make the system competitive rather than just mere serviceable, and FdJ is that type of player who can contribute greatly both defensively and creatively. You only need to watch Netherland NT and see what their midfield consist to see that as bad as Fred is, it's not the end of the world if you build the team around FdJ. You have VDB who was part of Ajax midfield the last season FdJ was there.

We have ETH now, and FdJ is a great help to fulfill his vision. That's fixing personnel and systematic midfield issue,.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The biggest issue for our team is that we've been poor at transitioning play from the deeper areas of the pitch, especially against the opposition press. I've been banging on about needing a player in midfield who can help us potentially achieve that and become the conductor in midfield that knits everything together on the ball.

We have a head coach whose primary objective is to play the game in the opponents half by controlling both the play in possession and controlling play without possession. And what the team does on the ball is vital towards creating a well oiled functional machine in the head coach's image, which is to exert zonal and positional control in possession with a view to opening up space for the free-man by creating numerical superiorities/overloads.

I do agree we also need a more disciplined midfielder next to de Jong who provides a defensive balance on the turn-over against teams who can transition quickly. But I think if we weigh up our current midfield options with ten Hag's approach to the game, then for me we need a creative deep lying playmaker more right now. And I'm hopeful we can still sign another midfielder because it's been reported by the likes of James Ducker about United wanting to sign two midfielders.

It's all about the composition of the midfield, and for me it's better to have a midfield two of de Jong/Fred, rather than Fred/Rice. But like I've said above, I'm hoping we sign de Jong and another midfielder.

TheDosser56

Yeah, I kinda wish United was more like Liverpool this summer and make £30-£40M bargain signings. I know Liverpool are linked with spending £70M on Nunez this summer but generally their squad is built on £30m-£40M transfer bargains

i think United fans will go back to being pessimistic once we actually sign him (if we do). They are just enjoying being muppets right now so losing their minds going cray cray over De Jong they don't care if it's the same type of signings United have made the past few years that hasn't worked out well.. but eventually reality will hit and they will go back to expectation management and criticising the club despite them and fans desperate for us to sign De Jong.. they never learn!

Once United actually sign him I expect the same people who was desperate for his signing saying stuff like how he's too weak, too slight etc for the rough and tumble of Premier League like they did Donny.. typical United etc it's usually the cycle of the Caf.. build a signing up when it's unrealistic and when you actually sign them you look for faults! Nunez was a donkey yesterday morning with a Lukaku-Esque Trampoline touch when United was linked with him until the Liverpool story broke and suddenly he turned into the best thing since sliced bread! It's funny.

a lot of United fans criticise the club and Glazier family but surely the fans are part of the problem that needs to change at the club when they are desperate for big-name signings every summer? Getting giddy like schoolgirls etc over a shiny new toy.

I thought United fans suppported a whole new transfer strategy. A complete root and branch revamp.

Last edited:

Eplel

Whatever he is, he's going to be a massive,massive upgrade on McT.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
LVG knows exactly what those comments might do. Bitter old bastard. Can’t believe some United fans still think the sun shines out of his arse

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I hope he's not the only midfield signing. Fred or McTominay are not good enough.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Van Gaal was going off the valuation put on de Jong by CIES football observatory.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
LVG knows exactly what those comments might do. Bitter old bastard. Can’t believe some United fans still think the sun shines out of his arse
Can’t say I ever did really. Seemed a strange appointment from start to finish to me.
Odd that he directs his bitterness at the club and not at Woodward. Even odderer that he does realise his football was dull and the main contributing factor to his dismissal, however badly it was handled.

golden_blunder

Staff
Can’t say I ever did really. Seemed a strange appointment from start to finish to me.
Odd that he directs his bitterness at the club and not at Woodward. Even odderer that he does realise his football was dull and the main contributing factor to his dismissal, however badly it was handled.
Exactly. The fact that he still holds bitterness to the club is something. He’s trying to destroy the clubs transfer plans and by extension the dreams of fans.

Mmm-Qatarian

Barca's decision on whether or not to accept/reject any offer we might make for De Jong isn't going to be dependent on a Louis van Gaal interview. If they were intent on accepting any offer we might've made this is not going to change their minds.

MDFC Manager

Exactly. The fact that he still holds bitterness to the club is something. He’s trying to destroy the clubs transfer plans and by extension the dreams of fans.
Think he's just answered in the affirmative when a reporter asked him if he's worth the quoted amount of money. Surely he's not gonna say any different?

Idxomer

LVG's quotes mean nothing, it's like when people thought Ten Hag will avoid United because of his commercial club comment.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Maybe you saw it, but context -

Reading the Barcelona message boards this morning, I did not realise how much of a joke Gerard Romero is in Spain. What tier do we have him as because they were basically all saying "jajaj only the English take that idiot seriously".

Additionally, this is such a weird transfer. Usually with moves like this, United fans are hyped and Barca fans are sad, or vice-versa. In this case, about 50% of Barca fans think they would be getting ripped off selling for €80-100mill, but about 50% say he has under-performed and doesnt suit the squad and they should cut their losses at any price. I'd say it's about the same with United fans on here? About 50% want him desperately and 50% think he's overrated.

golden_blunder

Staff
They are all hit and miss in my opinion. Very few have a inside scoop. The rest makes educated guesses or copy what they’ve read elsewhere, even on forum boards

mu4c_20le

Why not? Mourinho takes shots at us every other week and we've still got posters digging themselves into a hole defending him.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Maybe you saw it, but context -

Reading the Barcelona message boards this morning, I did not realise how much of a joke Gerard Romero is in Spain. What tier do we have him as because they were basically all saying "jajaj only the English take that idiot seriously".

Additionally, this is such a weird transfer. Usually with moves like this, United fans are hyped and Barca fans are sad or vice-versa. In this case, about 50% of Barca fans think they would be getting ripped off selling for €80-100mill, but about 50% say he has under-performed and doesnt suit the squad. I'd say it's about the same with United fans on here.
You've inspired me to look at a barca forum and you're right it's really interesting.

For example:

Manchester United have offered ?60m + ?20m in variables for Frenkie de Jong.

? @luis_F_Rojo

If we accept this we are fecking bums

SeanyC

That’s not what he was referring to at all.

He was referring to the recent CIES valuations that had Frenkie at $112m, which was a big story in the Netherlands.
that’s fine but he’s also trying to wind us up that’s for sure.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
They are all hit and miss in my opinion. Very few have a inside scoop. The rest makes educated guesses or copy what they’ve read elsewhere, even on forum boards
Yep and some of them like Indykaila/Muppetiers just make 'em up like this :

Romero, in fairness, does seem to have a remarkably low reputation in Spain though. Still, hope he is right.

didz

I imagine people who know Van Gaal treat him a bit like an intelligent but very elderly grandparent. Like, they'll listen to him talk about the technical aspects of his experiences, but there's just moments where they'll just go, "oh right, grandads off on one again."

Anyway, he's referring to a big headline in Dutch media about CIES figures (which are a bit mad themselves). I really doubt he cares about us Man United fans enough to try and rile us up or "destroy our dreams" :lol:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
According to Goldbridge Barcelona had agreed to sell De Jong to us despite United hasn't yet made a bid for him yet. I wonder how that works exactly

Status
Not open for further replies.