Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather

It's not about how I would spend that money. That money is roughly what we do every year, and is consistently among the highest spenders in Europe. No it's not enough to address every concern we have. That's why we'll have to go into next season compromising on some bits. That's why it's not a 1 year rebuild.

If it were up to me though, I'd go:
  • De Jong - 70-80m
  • Antony - 50m
  • Dumfries - 20m
  • Eriksen - free
Ronaldo
Sancho Bruno Antony
Fred De Jong
Shaw Varane Maguire Dumfries
DDG

Martial
Rashford Eriksen Elanga
VdB Mctominay
Telles Lindelof Jones Dalot
Heaton​

Loan Garner/ Amad/ Hannibal/ Mengi/ Laird/ Pellistri, sell the rest. Garnacho to be a youth role.

Martial is unlikely to sell and we'd need a new striker if so, Jones i doubt will leave as he never leaves and we'd need a 4th CB anyway, not a huge deal. Dependent on funds we get back, go for a CB like Timber and force Jones out? There are no strikers available who suit what we want (and all would be too expensive anyway), ideally we can get another midfielder but not sure who and we'd have to sell one of the others, so I doubt that happens.

Basically, the budget is fine to address immediate concerns. Next season revisit FdJ's partner, replacing Ronaldo, GK and if other things pop up.
Sounds good that

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Just don’t be one to moan if we fail to achieve our objectives for next season.

It’s like some of you fans seem to think it’s okay to justify nonsense. But want to protest when we perform like Arsenal2.0.

We’ve had a terrible season and a new manager with a philosophy that doesn’t match up with 80 percent of this squad.

We need an injection of investment abit different from previous years. If it means we over spend abit.. the owners need to sign that off. I’m not requesting getting everything done in one window but if one signing increases able spend. Increase it.
This makes no sense, I asked you about your point regarding a crap budget, you told me 150m which in Football is a large budget. The only nonsense I see here is from you, you are being hysterical for no good reason and you are also being irrational, if you don't think that we can turn things around in one season then don't expect a turnaround in one season. It's a bit daft how so many fans create their own doom and gloom by having expectations they don't believe in.

Bojan Djordjic

You must have been even more delighted with the likes of Di Maria. Get in players who don’t want to be here on massive wages and then struggle to shift them and then complain we can’t sign anyone because we have a bloated wage bill and can’t make any money through sales.
Just because Di Maria didn’t work(and it wasn’t all down to him - he had a sensational start) shouldn’t mean we never try to convince a good player to play for us again.

Players are all individuals and because one player from years ago threw his toys out of the pram, doesn’t mean another completely different indivual won’t be an ultra professional in the same circumstances. Fdj, speaks English, is from a similar climate and most importantly has had his most fruitful working relationship with our current manager. These are all mitigants to the utterly tiresome “Di Maria vibes comparisons”.

Bosws87

You must have been even more delighted with the likes of Di Maria. Get in players who don’t want to be here on massive wages and then struggle to shift them and then complain we can’t sign anyone because we have a bloated wage bill and can’t make any money through sales.
Just backwards and stupid logic, one does not equal them all.

How have these state backed clubs become the juggernauts they are today by only purchasing players that really wanted to play for them from the beginning :lol: (hint half of the players didn't even know who the club was they were signing for)

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Some crap their pants before they get on the rollercoaster

some moan so much so the queue time is too long before going on the rollercoaster

some moan that we only have £2 and the roller coaster costs £1, we’d be better spending on 4 arcade games at 50p each
Very Cantonaesque, sir :D

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don’t get the hate for McTominay on the Caf. He’s a squad player, forced into playing a position he isn’t well suited for (DM, he’s more box-to-box) with a midfield partner that doesn’t have much discipline (Fred) and is a pretty inaccurate passer. It’s like criticizing Darren Fletcher for not being world class. Fletcher was 3rd or 4th option at CM for us, scored some big goals, was Man United to the core. McTominay is the same sort of player for me. I’ve never questioned his desire or professionalism. He’s not good enough to be in the first 11 of a United team, but he’s still valuable as a squad player.
Fletcher was always much more talented than McTominay. He was hugely rated coming through the youth ranks, to the extent that he would have been the youngest player to ever appear in our first team except PL rules didn't allow it as he was still on a schoolboy contract. Once he did break into the team he did struggle for a few years, but that was at least partly due to physical limitations as he was just so damn weak and easy to push around at that age (which is why he largely played out wide to reduce how much that would be targeted). By the time he was McTominay's current age he'd grown into his body and was a very important part of our starting 11, to the extent that he was being picked in the PFA Premier League Team of the Year. Unfortunately his illness hit him soon after so he only had about two years at a top level.

McTominay is largely expected to play the same role as Fletcher did, but really that's where the comparison ends. He was never considered one of the stand-outs of his age group and most people who watched the youth ranks were surprised when he started getting first team appearances. And arguably the only real reason that he did break into the team was his physicality, which is the exact opposite of Fletch.

Moriarty

This is starting to have a whiff of 2013 about it when Moyes spend ages chasing Fabregas. The MEN has updates on this every couple of hours. I know because my bloody in-box is full of them.

JPRouve

Scout
Fletcher was always much more talented than McTominay. He was hugely rated coming through the youth ranks, to the extent that he would have been the youngest player to ever appear in our first team except PL rules didn't allow it as he was still on a schoolboy contract. Once he did break into the team he did struggle for a few years, but that was at least partly due to physical limitations as he was just so damn weak and easy to push around at that age (which is why he largely played out wide to reduce how much that would be targeted). By the time he was McTominay's current age he'd grown into his body and was a very important part of our starting 11, to the extent that he was being picked in the PFA Premier League Team of the Year. Unfortunately his illness hit him soon after so he only had about two years at a top level.

McTominay is largely expected to play the same role as Fletcher did, but really that's where the comparison ends. He was never considered one of the stand-outs of his age group and most people who watched the youth ranks were surprised when he started getting first team appearances. And arguably the only real reason that he did break into the team was his physicality, which is the exact opposite of Fletch.
Also wasn't Fletcher a right midfielder? If I remember correctly he struggled relative to expectations as an RM but he wasn't bad, not Kieran Richardson bad, a bit later he found a place as a CM and didn't let it go until his illness.

I could be misremembering things totally.

Sparky Rhiwabon

This is starting to have a whiff of 2013 about it when Moyes spend ages chasing Fabregas. The MEN has updates on this every couple of hours. I know because my bloody in-box is full of them.
Yes, and then we end up panic buying Fellaini on deadline day. Wasn’t Thiago sort of a similar saga as well?

Mainoldo

This makes no sense, I asked you about your point regarding a crap budget, you told me 150m which in Football is a large budget. The only nonsense I see here is from you, you are being hysterical for no good reason and you are also being irrational, if you don't think that we can turn things around in one season then don't expect a turnaround in one season. It's a bit daft how so many fans create their own doom and gloom by having expectations they don't believe in.
I explained why it was a crap budget.

There’s not doom and gloom just reality. If De Jong cost 70-80m it doesn’t leave for much else with a £150m budget. I don’t get the misunderstanding.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If we can’t get this deal done we need to move on asap. Barca will be the ones who are sorry when we walk away after offering them a decent amount. Let’s pay attention to Vitinha! The guys quality… get him and eriksen. That will be a lot cheaper then de jong and means we can push on for a forward and defender. This club is useless and brain dead when it comes to transfers.

Rolaholic

They reportedly have enough money to try to do deals for Lewa and Kounde on top of the players supposed to be joining on a free yet they've only made a single sale...

Must have something else in the offing surely?

Moriarty

Yes, and then we end up panic buying Fellaini on deadline day. Wasn’t Thiago sort of a similar saga as well?
I thought Fergie had that all set up only for Moyes to put the kibosh on it. It's been a long time though. That saga with Fabregas was laughable and he ended up at Chelsea anyway. The MEN is a joke these days. They are desperate for clicks so they'll publish anything. De Jong farts in the bathtub and he's sending a message to United to come and get him. That sort of crap.

1974_Fergie_Time

This has all the makings of us going for an alternative player, and Barca now needing the money will sell to another team cheaper than us and no doubt knowing our luck City will snap him up and this talk of Phillips is a red herring.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Also wasn't Fletcher a right midfielder? If I remember correctly he struggled relative to expectations as an RM but he wasn't bad, not Kieran Richardson bad, a bit later he found a place as a CM and didn't let it go until his illness.

I could be misremembering things totally.
No, fergie played him RM to break into the side as we were blessed in CM but CM was always his natural role.

McTominay was a forward in the youth teams

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Is there any chance that it feels like other clubs wrap up deals much quicker because we’re not following them extensively and don’t see/hear every little update..? Maybe?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Is there any chance that it feels like other clubs wrap up deals much quicker because we’re not following them extensively and don’t see/hear every little update..? Maybe?
Obviously yes. Although Nunez noise was all United with the odd mention of Liverpool. As soon as the Liverpool rumours hotted up he’s holding a red shirt 5 days later. I think there is genuinely a deliberate slowness in the way we negotiate transfers.

AlexUTD

It's not about how I would spend that money. That money is roughly what we do every year, and is consistently among the highest spenders in Europe. No it's not enough to address every concern we have. That's why we'll have to go into next season compromising on some bits. That's why it's not a 1 year rebuild.

If it were up to me though, I'd go:
  • De Jong - 70-80m
  • Antony - 50m
  • Dumfries - 20m
  • Eriksen - free
Ronaldo
Sancho Bruno Antony
Fred De Jong
Shaw Varane Maguire Dumfries
DDG

Martial
Rashford Eriksen Elanga
VdB Mctominay
Telles Lindelof Jones Dalot
Heaton​

Loan Garner/ Amad/ Hannibal/ Mengi/ Laird/ Pellistri, sell the rest. Garnacho to be a youth role.

Martial is unlikely to sell and we'd need a new striker if so, Jones i doubt will leave as he never leaves and we'd need a 4th CB anyway, not a huge deal. Dependent on funds we get back, go for a CB like Timber and force Jones out? There are no strikers available who suit what we want (and all would be too expensive anyway), ideally we can get another midfielder but not sure who and we'd have to sell one of the others, so I doubt that happens.

Basically, the budget is fine to address immediate concerns. Next season revisit FdJ's partner, replacing Ronaldo, GK and if other things pop up.
Agree on everything except we need Timber in no matter what so id prio him over Anthony and hope for a miracle that Varane can stay fit. The thought of seeing Lindeløf and Maguire in the lineup again makes me want to scream into a pillow.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Please....common sense and rational comments aren't welcome here. We've got tantrum throwers galore.

It's going to really mess their heads up when they realise all Nations League players are on a 3 week break now too. Hahahaha.

JPRouve

Scout
I explained why it was a crap budget.

There’s not doom and gloom just reality. If De Jong cost 70-80m it doesn’t leave for much else with a £150m budget. I don’t get the misunderstanding.
And the explanation makes no sense. There is no misunderstanding, there is no scenario where 150m is a crap budget.

And there is a lot of doom and gloom, instead of making the reasonable point that we will likely need more than one summer to fix the team and be where we want to be, you decided to make a silly point and also justify your future hysteria.

JPRouve

Scout
No, fergie played him RM to break into the side as we were blessed in CM but CM was always his natural role.

McTominay was a forward in the youth teams
Thanks. So it makes his debutes even less underwhelming.

Godfather

Well yes. On the other hand we see our biggest rivals with one or more signings two weeks into the transfer window whilst we have none albeit needing a much MUCH bigger overhaul so there's that.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Agree on everything except we need Timber in no matter what so id prio him over Anthony and hope for a miracle that Varane can stay fit. The thought of seeing Lindeløf and Maguire in the lineup again makes me want to scream into a pillow.
Eh it's about priorities. I doubt we get both, and for me, RW is a much bigger need than CB. Lindelof can be a decent player, Maguire can be decent, Varane can be world class. It's not the worst group to have, they're just underperforming and the team hasn't been coached well. Our wing options though, we have Sancho, Rashford, Elanga as the only options for both wings. Ronaldo and Martial our forwards. None of them are naturals on the right. Antony would at least balance that out by giving us a main option on the right, effectively replace Greenwood, and let us use Rashford and Elanga as the rotation options rather than have them as starters (in positions they aren't naturals in). If Rashford hits form again, then we have Sancho, Antony and Rashford rotating for the 2 wing spots and pushing each other on, whereas if we ignore it, than we are relying on Rashford finding form and Elanga being the rotation option and nobody past him, which is nowhere near good enough.

Anyway, I'll be a happy camper if we manage to sign Frenkie De Jong even if we do nothing else. He'd be a transformative signing. Will be sad if he doesn't come.

Last edited:

talking robot

We should just move on. Get Vitinha and Erickson instead of VDB, and have money left over for Timber, Antony, and maybe one more. Added advantage of getting our business done more quickly and thus being able to prepare properly for next year. We'll live without De Jong.

DevTheRed

Not when De Jong is available… he’s a tier probably two tiers above those players mentioned. Quality should always count for something.
Oh I would prefer De Jong for sure, he’s world class.. just limits funds for other positions.

Catch-22 this one :annoyed:

El Presidente

We should just move on. Get Vitinha and Erickson instead of VDB, and have money left over for Timber, Antony, and maybe one more. Added advantage of getting our business done more quickly and thus being able to prepare properly for next year. We'll live without De Jong.
Well, that would be shocking. No DM, no ST, a 20-year old CB who may take at least an year to adapt and yet another winger. Basically, addressing zero of our pressing issues.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
great let's sign Shite players because they're desperate to come...

it beggars belief that people think we'd get so far into a deal, after Ten Hag speaking to him and club speaking to his agent, without the knowledge he's keen.

Robben didn't want to leave Real, Sneijder didn't. they both went on to have World class careers after they left.
Lets just waste the whole summer chasing a player that doesn’t want to join then.

Mainoldo

And the explanation makes no sense. There is no misunderstanding, there is no scenario where 150m is a crap budget.

And there is a lot of doom and gloom, instead of making the reasonable point that we will likely need more than one summer to fix the team and be where we want to be, you decided to make a silly point and also justify your future hysteria.
The scenario is we are shite. We need to invest and £150m isn’t enough to take us from 6th to top 4.

Therefore the budget is crap. But if we want to be the new Arsenal, the budget is brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.