Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Miller

if we view Eriksen as an alternative to FDJ and not as a completely independent transfer, we've completely lost our mind.
We dont see Eriksen as an alternative. If Frenkie de Jong is not coming, club is going to look for another player with similar characteristics. And inferior level for sure.

DevTheRed

Don’t get the haggling of the fee to be honest.. he’s one of the best deep lying playmakers in Europe, 25 years old and not even in his prime yet. Isn’t £70 odd million the going rate for that type of player these days?

Liverpool just paid £90m for an unproven kid from Portugal.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The numbers say that McTominay is miles better than Frenkie defensively:
https://fbref.com/en/players/d93c2511/Scott-McTominay#scout_summary_MF
Vs
https://fbref.com/en/players/1bacc518/Frenkie-de-Jong#scout_summary_MF

I don’t get the hate for McTominay on the Caf. He’s a squad player, forced into playing a position he isn’t well suited for (DM, he’s more box-to-box) with a midfield partner that doesn’t have much discipline (Fred) and is a pretty inaccurate passer. It’s like criticizing Darren Fletcher for not being world class. Fletcher was 3rd or 4th option at CM for us, scored some big goals, was Man United to the core. McTominay is the same sort of player for me. I’ve never questioned his desire or professionalism. He’s not good enough to be in the first 11 of a United team, but he’s still valuable as a squad player.
He’s not a squad player, he’s a United regular and has been for years. Despite being terrible.

I’m not a numbers man, except for goals, but I watch McTominay and see he offers almost no defensive value at all. He’s always poorly positioned and cannot tackle at all.

Bojan Djordjic

Where did I say they had to be as good? just actually wanting to come here would be a start. But hey let's chase big names who have to be dragged kicking and screaming because that has worked so well in the past.
You must be happy enough with the current midfield so. Pretty sure McTominay and Fred are only delighted to be here.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Good. If they’re playing hardball or the player isn’t interested then feck them, don’t waste any more time and let’s move on to the next target. Hopefully the days of Utd being taken for mugs are over.
Tbh there are some players that I wish we'd be ok to be taken for mugs for, Frenkie De Jong is one of them :lol:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Good. If they’re playing hardball or the player isn’t interested then feck them, don’t waste any more time and let’s move on to the next target. Hopefully the days of Utd being taken for mugs are over.
When exactly has this happened? Did Dortmund treat us like mugs when we signed Sancho last year? Did Real with Varane? Did Porto with Telles? Did Sporting with Bruno?

How far back are we going here with this narrative that we're bent over in the transfer market?

NewYorkRed

Tbh there are some players that I wish we'd be ok to be taken for mugs for, Frenkie De Jong is one of them :lol:
Retweet. Really want this to happen and I’m usually not one to go crazy over signings.

Not optimistic we’ll pull this off though. Not in the slightest.

GinobiliTheGOAT

All the reports coming out, Barca saying they have another meeting this week on their finances where they need 500m. If they can find that money, De Jong stays.
yup there is a vote from the socis for economic levers tomorrow that will allow for a ton of money to come in.

The two levers in question are the sale of 49.9% Barcelona Licensing and Merchandising and the sale of up to 25% of TV rights

Mainoldo

Don’t get the haggling of the fee to be honest.. he’s one of the best deep lying playmakers in Europe, 25 years old and not even in his prime yet. Isn’t £70 odd million the going rate for that type of player these days?

Liverpool just paid £90m for an unproven kid from Portugal.
We have a crap budget and are trying to get 5 players.

We pay that we only end up with 3 max as we can’t sell players due to our stupid wages.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
You must be happy enough with the current midfield so. Pretty sure McTominay and Fred are only delighted to be here.
You must have been even more delighted with the likes of Di Maria. Get in players who don’t want to be here on massive wages and then struggle to shift them and then complain we can’t sign anyone because we have a bloated wage bill and can’t make any money through sales.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
You must have been even more delighted with the likes of Di Maria. Get in players who don’t want to be here on massive wages and then struggle to shift them and then complain we can’t sign anyone because we have a bloated wage bill and can’t make any money through sales.
Di Maria was hard to shift, fair play....

Orange Tree

We should move on already. Fabian Ruiz only has one year left on his contract and shouldn't be that expensive.

Then add Sangare. We now have a decent midfield for the season and some money left for other positions.

choccy77

And I got blasted for saying we shouldn't waste our time and that we are still doing the same thing again.

Hopefully, if we can't get a deal done, we move on quickly now.

It sounds like this was the main deal, that would determine the other transfers, in terms of budget and wages and to offer elsewhere and to me that is crazy, it holds up all other potential deals in positions we are desperate for filling.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Show us how ‘you’ would spend that money?
It's not about how I would spend that money. That money is roughly what we do every year, and is consistently among the highest spenders in Europe. No it's not enough to address every concern we have. That's why we'll have to go into next season compromising on some bits. That's why it's not a 1 year rebuild.

If it were up to me though, I'd go:
  • De Jong - 70-80m
  • Antony - 50m
  • Dumfries - 20m
  • Eriksen - free
Ronaldo
Sancho Bruno Antony
Fred De Jong
Shaw Varane Maguire Dumfries
DDG

Martial
Rashford Eriksen Elanga
VdB Mctominay
Telles Lindelof Jones Dalot
Heaton​

Loan Garner/ Amad/ Hannibal/ Mengi/ Laird/ Pellistri, sell the rest. Garnacho to be a youth role.

Martial is unlikely to sell and we'd need a new striker if so, Jones i doubt will leave as he never leaves and we'd need a 4th CB anyway, not a huge deal. Dependent on funds we get back, go for a CB like Timber and force Jones out? There are no strikers available who suit what we want (and all would be too expensive anyway), ideally we can get another midfielder but not sure who and we'd have to sell one of the others, so I doubt that happens.

Basically, the budget is fine to address immediate concerns. Next season revisit FdJ's partner, replacing Ronaldo, GK and if other things pop up.

George The Best

Can easily imagine part of the impasse is around payment terms of the fee. Barca need it all upfront and we are not used to operating that way.

Teja

It's not about how I would spend that money. That money is roughly what we do every year, and is consistently among the highest spenders in Europe. No it's not enough to address every concern we have. That's why we'll have to go into next season compromising on some bits. That's why it's not a 1 year rebuild.

• De Jong - 70-80m
  • Antony - 50m
  • Dumfries - 20m
  • Eriksen - free
Ronaldo
Sancho Bruno Antony
Fred De Jong
DDG

Martial
Rashford Eriksen Elanga
VdB Mctominay
Heaton​

Loan Garner/ Amad/ Hannibal/ Mengi/ Laird/ Pellistri, sell the rest. Garnacho to be a youth role.

Martial is unlikely to sell and we'd need a new striker if so, Jones i doubt will leave as he never leaves and we'd need a 4th CB anyway, not a huge deal. Dependent on funds we get back, go for a CB like Timber and force Jones out? There are no strikers available who suit what we want (and all would be too expensive anyway), ideally we can get another midfielder but not sure who and we'd have to sell one of the others, so I doubt that happens.

Basically, the budget is fine to address immediate concerns. Next season revisit FdJ's partner, replacing Ronaldo, GK and if other things pop up.
Agree with this 100%

I think we'll pay up because FdJ is incredibly important for Ten Hag ball.

croadyman

Players just dont want to join us anymore. We have to accept it. I dont think it is just the board, i think it’s also players who dont find United attractive anymore. Who can blame them
Yeah totally understand thinking like that

DevTheRed

We have a crap budget and are trying to get 5 players.

We pay that we only end up with 3 max as we can’t sell players due to our stupid wages.
In that case we’re after the wrong player.. I would value him somewhere between £70-80m which is what they’re asking for.

Bissouma/Kamara would’ve made much more sense.

DarkDog

Right now the problem isn’t player not wanting to move. ETH knew player would be open to moving, he wouldn’t have told our club that. Right now the only problem for United is the price. Barcelona want 68 million pounds, we offered 51 million pounds + 17 million in add ons (probably unrealistic) as reported by Fabrizio. Problem for me is that our managers don’t get the players they want. And it is always down to a couple of millions. Think of the Maguire transfer. Mourinho wanted Koulibaly or Maguire. (i believe he gave a list of 4 players, Maguire was probably last on the list) but leicester asked 60 million. Ed (or Joel) thought it was too much. Next season they paid 80. They have no clue about football and how it works. Fergie and Gill did their business before Euros and Wc. Never bought players whose price was high because of good 7 games. Now to me it is important to get the players Erik ten Hag wants. We have already missed on one he wanted and i hope it is not more. We have already wasted 6 weeks chasing after just one player. Erik ten Hag wanted his transfers with him on start of the preseason and to me it is already too late. Another preseason and another manager wasted because of the inept owners. Nothing will change before we get rid of the owners. Nobody else will buy them out if we don’t fight them.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!

• De Jong - 70-80m
  • Antony - 50m
  • Dumfries - 20m
  • Eriksen - free
Ronaldo
Sancho Bruno Antony
Fred De Jong
DDG

Martial
Rashford Eriksen Elanga
VdB Mctominay
Heaton​

This does make sense as we can't go from shite to fantastic in one transfer window.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Lots of negative today, wait till 10pm tonight when all the same accounts will start posting positive tweets.

Mainoldo

So a lot of money is now crap?
Just don’t be one to moan if we fail to achieve our objectives for next season.

It’s like some of you fans seem to think it’s okay to justify nonsense. But want to protest when we perform like Arsenal2.0.

We’ve had a terrible season and a new manager with a philosophy that doesn’t match up with 80 percent of this squad.

We need an injection of investment abit different from previous years. If it means we over spend abit.. the owners need to sign that off. I’m not requesting getting everything done in one window but if one signing increases able spend. Increase it.

croadyman

Why does this transfer have to be finalised first. Can we not make moves for other transfers, like:- WF, RB, CB.
There is a saga over some transfer every season now. Nothing's Changed.
Probably due to the fact that we're on a tight budget and won't know what we have left for other transfers after this

Mainoldo

In that case we’re after the wrong player.. I would value him somewhere between £70-80m which is what they’re asking for.

Bissouma/Kamara would’ve made much more sense.
Not when De Jong is available… he’s a tier probably two tiers above those players mentioned. Quality should always count for something.

Status
Not open for further replies.