Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redcy

Looked up the definition of average and overrated.
Add in they will cost
If you dont want a saga then Fabian Ruiz, Tielemas, Neuhaus, Aouar, Rabiot. If you want a saga then Milinkovic, Neves, Mcginn.
jesus, really? The first five aren’t in any way a replacement and have either been shit for 1-3 years, or average. The next two will cost nearly as much as fdj and probably take to the end of the window, and if McGinn ia the option we might as well stick with our own average midfielders and hop eth works miracles.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Add in they will cost

jesus, really? The first five aren’t in any way a replacement and have either been shit for 1-3 years, or average. The next two will cost nearly as much as fdj and probably take to the end of the window, and if McGinn ia the option we might as well stick with our own average midfielders and hop eth works miracles.
Well those are the options. Tielemans and Ruiz are above average

Abraxas

Add in they will cost

I think calling Ruiz and Tielemans average is going a bit far. They're good players.

I don't think Tielemans is a very good candidate for this type of role, but Ruiz could be a sensible choice. He's no De Jong but he'd probably be my backup option if this falls flat.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think calling Ruiz and Tielemans average is going a bit far. They're good players.

I don't think Tielemans is a very good candidate for this type of role, but Ruiz could be a sensible choice. He's no De Jong but he'd probably be my backup option if this falls flat.
Yeah Ruiz is the next best and probably the only other player that can play the 'De Jong role' but I don't think he's done it before. Which is why we have to get De Jong before any other signing. Missing out on him could change our setup since no other player have proven to play like him

Josep Dowling

Oh yes, I forgot that you’re stacked with class players like McTominay, Fred, and Garner. Even Frenkie might struggle for game time.

The point is you will probably need more than De Jong, and if he’s not that bothered about coming then why not move the f*** on and get someone else in (whether it’s one or two players)?
Exactly. Quite a lot of people don’t seem to understand this.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
We should offer them martial and rashford for de jong.

That would really help them balance the books.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
If Bayern do that with Ajax or Liverpool, it is that they are great managers and do not throw money away. If Barcelona does that with Bayern or United, it is that they are a joke of a club.
If Barcelona throws away the money it is also a joke of a club.
The important thing is who does it.
Bayern did a first bid for Mané, which Liverpool rejected. Then the management flew to Liverpool and finalized the deal.

Bayern doesn't want to sell, at least not below 50 million Euro. Barcelona submit a 32 million offer with 5 million Euro variables. Bayern reject. 2 weeks later Barcelona come up with a second bid of 35 million with 5 million Euro variables. That's a joke!
Encouraging the player to start a public war against Bayern to force the move. That's a (bad) joke!
This definitely won't help you guys getting the player. Actually quite the opposite.

I have the impression Barcelona wants Lewandowski but still can't close the deal. Thus, they are trying to keep the saga going with silly bids they know Bayern will reject.

I'm pretty sure Bayern won't sell at any price if they don't have a suitable replacement. If it drags on a few more weeks, this transfer will be dead in the water.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Ahh we’ve all been sucked in from time to time. Glorious moment a few days ago when my son (13), full of transfer-window glee, told me excitedly that Timber was definitely about to happen. I mocked his naivety greatly and slowly explained what he was letting himself in for
Good job. Gotta teach ‘em disappointment early in life.

the_cliff

So apparently this saga could drag on till the end of the transfer window according to Ornstein. We also can't complete any other deals until FDJ has been signed apparently.

5 deadline day transfers ?

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Bayern did a first bid for Mané, which Liverpool rejected. Then the management flew to Liverpool and finalized the deal.

Bayern doesn't want to sell, at least not below 50 million Euro. Barcelona submit a 32 million offer with 5 million Euro variables. Bayern reject. 2 weeks later Barcelona come up with a second bid of 35 million with 5 million Euro variables. That's a joke!
Encouraging the player to start a public war against Bayern to force the move. That's a (bad) joke!
This definitely won't help you guys getting the player. Actually quite the opposite.

I have the impression Barcelona wants Lewandowski but still can't close the deal. Thus, they are trying to keep the saga going with silly bids they know Bayern will reject.

I'm pretty sure Bayern won't sell at any price if they don't have a suitable replacement. If it drags on a few more weeks, this transfer will be dead in the water.
Let's be honest here, 50m is an insane amount for a 33 y/o player, especially on a one year contract. I also think it's crazy that Barcelona are offering 35m for a 33 y/o with their financial situation. Although I understand Bayern prefer to keep him, I think they are quite unreasonable here. Besides the crazy fee, Bayern always acts like a big club with elite standards, but yet Bayern never have a problem bullying their German competitors of their best players and now they don't have the class to show a player with very big achievements for the club the respect to let him go to another country at this age for a reasonable fee.

I just don't think it's very classy from Bayern. They should be bigger than this. It's not like Barca is just offering 10m. For a 33 y/o player, especially with only one year left on the contract 30-35m is a very reasonable offer and Bayern would show class to respect Lewandowski's wishes and not go for the absolute maximum fee. It's not like Bayern is selling a player that would have an 8-10 year future at the club, then I would understand Bayern to be very reluctant / putting a crazy price tag. When a player has done this much for the club and has a wish to play in another country in his last years it's not very classy to do everything in your power to block the move. I don't understand it.

acnumber9

Then what about Sanchez wanting to leave after one training session? Lukaku after one game? With their reactions it’s guaranteed they had to be convinced to join in the first place. They’re near enough the same situations just played out differently.
Hell Ronaldo was off to City before SAF and Rio played on his heart strings to get him to sign for us. Cavani was off to Spain last season before we got him to stay and he then lost interest. There’s so many instances of players starting for us that would rather be somewhere else that it’s sickening.
Cantona wanted to leave in 95 and had to be persuaded to stay. Ronaldo wanted to leave in 06 and 08 and had to be persuaded to stay. There’s nothing out of the ordinary in using persuasion to sign or keep players. What’s the alternative? United aren’t in a position to just say take it or leave it. Do you think Real Madrid weren’t doing all they could to persuade Mbappe and PSG likewise? The attitude of people in here would be disastrous and not the way any club operates.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Let's be honest here, 50m is an insane amount for a 33 y/o player, especially on a one year contract. I also think it's crazy that Barcelona are offering 35m for a 33 y/o with their financial situation. Although I understand Bayern prefer to keep him, I think they are quite unreasonable here. Besides the crazy fee, Bayern always acts like a big club with elite standards, but yet Bayern never have a problem bullying their German competitors of their best players and now they don't have the class to show a player with very big achievements for the club the respect to let him go to another country at this age for a reasonable fee.

I just don't think it's very classy from Bayern. They should be bigger than this. It's not like Barca is just offering 10m. For a 33 y/o player, especially with only one year left on the contract 30-35m is a very reasonable offer and Bayern would show class to respect Lewandowski's wishes and not go for the absolute maximum fee. It's not like Bayern is selling a player that would have an 8-10 year future at the club, then I would understand Bayern to be very reluctant / putting a crazy price tag. When a player has done this much for the club and has a wish to play in another country in his last years it's not very classy to do everything in your power to block the move. I don't understand it.
I don't think it is wise for Barcelona to pay 50m for a 33 y/o player given their situation right now. They may as well spend that money on Dembele replacement if he leaves and sign Lewandowski next summer.

Withnail

So apparently this saga could drag on till the end of the transfer window according to Ornstein. We also can't complete any other deals until FDJ has been signed apparently.

That's what the aggregator tweet suggested but that's not what was actually said... Surprise surprise
I watched the part of Ornstein's interview where he talks about De Jong and he doesn't actually say it is "expected" to be a long saga, he just says it "could" be long and painful due to Barca wanting to squeeze every last cent out of us and United not wanting to be fleeced.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Key word being "could", not "would", as Withnail just highlighted.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Let's be honest here, 50m is an insane amount for a 33 y/o player, especially on a one year contract.

Lewandowski is currently the best striker in the world. He is the current world player of they year and second in the balloon d'Or competition. He is 33 but still top fit and never injured. And Bayern had never any intention to sell. I'm sure Lewandowski can still play another 2 to 3 years ago the highest level, if not longer.
So why would they let a player, who is irreplaceable go on the cheap?

Further Barcelona are playing at time. They aren't allowed to sign Lewandowski under the current circumstances. Thus, Bayern can't even sell him now and look for a replacement. No idea when Barcelona actually gets the green light to sign and register players.
They are linked to do many players, Christensen, Alonso, Azpilicueta, Raphina, Kressi, Silva and Lewandowski, probably even more. At the same time they need to reduce their payroll. No idea how they will achieve it. Total mess of a club.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Hardly surprising this is taking forever, basically the 2 clubs with the worst negotiating teams in the market trying to make a deal. :D

George The Best

It's a moot point anyway. We aren't winning a title next year.
At this moment in time we are fighting for 7th. Spurs & Arsenal getting stronger. West Ham and Newcastle in the mix too. None of this we finished 2nd two years ago crap. We are light years away and it needs to be fixed

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
@UnitedSofa @golden_blunder. time to be patient till the end of the window ? New transfer team , new structure new strategy. You guys were very sure what the club was doing and called everyone spoilt, impatient, drama queens etc whoever didn’t agree.
De Jong isn't even back in training for like 2/3 more weeks anyway.

The club will obviously be patient to get the best deal. The only thing that will be annoying is if it delays other deals also.

We should be working on them all at once.

Kaushal

Well it’s a few more weeks IF true. So what? Be patient
So what ? So be patient all the way from the beginning till the deadline day even if your club doesn’t make a signing ? Don’t say anything, don’t criticise anything even if it’s justified. Right just be patient. What is this ? :lol:

Last edited:

phelans shorts

The club will obviously be patient to get the best deal. The only thing that will be annoying is if it delays other deals also.

You don’t understand. If we sign him now he then has two weeks in Vegas as a United player learning his role (lol), but if we sign him in ten days we’ll have wasted… ten days of him spending time in Vegas.

Kaushal

Agreed. I don’t have any issue with de Jong signing. I’m sure that would happen. It’s the others that are on hold because of it I have an issue with. It’s idiotic. Now Antony’s price is 70m because Ajax already sold so many of their players and don’t need the money. If only we could have completed some of our signings before de Jong.

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
Lewandowski is currently the best striker in the world. He is the current world player of they year and second in the balloon d'Or competition. He is 33 but still top fit and never injured. And Bayern had never any intention to sell. I'm sure Lewandowski can still play another 2 to 3 years ago the highest level, if not longer.
So why would they let a player, who is irreplaceable go on the cheap?

Further Barcelona are playing at time. They aren't allowed to sign Lewandowski under the current circumstances. Thus, Bayern can't even sell him now and look for a replacement. No idea when Barcelona actually gets the green light to sign and register players.
They are linked to do many players, Christensen, Alonso, Azpilicueta, Raphina, Kressi, Silva and Lewandowski, probably even more. At the same time they need to reduce their payroll. No idea how they will achieve it. Total mess of a club.
Barça is allowed to sign anyone they want. Barça CAN pay. It is REGISTERING (in LaLiga, not Champions League btw) the "problem". It won't be an issue in a few weeks.
It has nothing to do with Bayern if they can register him tomorrow or not, or if Barça is linked to 100 players or 0.

I prefer tro try Lewa for free in a year, even if he is one year older.

And current Barça staff has done a GREAT job since they arrived one year ago. We can stop that bulls*** of "mess of a club" for any decision the current executives make.

AdNani

Barça is allowed to sign anyone they want. Barça CAN pay. It is REGISTERING (in LaLiga, not Champions League btw) the "problem". It won't be an issue in a few weeks.
It has nothing to do with Bayern if they can register him tomorrow or not, or if Barça is linked to 100 players or 0.

I prefer tro try Lewa for free in a year, even if he is one year older.
So barcelona can sign anyone they want, but can't register them? meaning that they can't sign anyone they want because they
can't be registered?

ForeverRed1

As much as I like De Jong, Barcelona shouldn't really be in a position to demand more than what they paid for him. The whole world knows their financial situation and De Jong is the player they deem expendable.

The reported bids shouldn't be far off what he goes for. Perhaps more money as a guaranteed sum instead of add-ons but they don't really hold the cards.
Barcelona can ask whatever they want for him. He’s their player and contracted. Frenkie is worth 75mil in today’s market, he really is. He is also essential to how we want to play aswelll and Barcelona know that. They are not the only ones with reasons for being desperate for this to go through. If we don’t get him, we don’t get anyone else as good as him. We get second best.

Barca know it.

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
So barcelona can sign anyone they want, but can't register them? meaning that they can't sign anyone they want because they
can't be registered?
It took weeks since Barça signed any player last year until they were registered. They were signed anyway. They were registered anyway.
So yeah, Barça can sign anyone. Barça can pay. Barça needs to make some extra work for registration. It is a LaLiga FFP limitation issue (for now). Those limitations will go away in a few weeks.

As much as I like De Jong, Barcelona shouldn't really be in a position to demand more than what they paid for him. The whole world knows their financial situation and De Jong is the player they deem expendable.

The reported bids shouldn't be far off what he goes for. Perhaps more money as a guaranteed sum instead of add-ons but they don't really hold the cards.
Barça DOES NOT NEED to sell. The only reason FDJ is in the market is because management thinks he is the only player that won't be missed sooo much (wrong position to me, but he is playing in the same position as Pedri/Gavi) and we still can get a lot of money. There is no point in selling FDJ for a cheap price, because it kills the only purpose of selling, which is really making a good deal. It is not like Barça doesn't want him or doesn't want to keep him. Only that a good deal wouldn't be catastrophic from a sporting perspective and it would help with the economy.

In a different situation Barça would not accept even 100M and FDJ would simply not be in the market.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.