Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominos

120m - 150m net is in no way a “tight” budget.
It is relative to how bad our squad is, and how much players cost in the current market. Every half decent player costs us £50m and has done for years.

We've lost 2 CM's from an already weak midfield and it's looking unlikely we'll get a DM alongside De Jong. We only have 3 senior attacking players currently. The less said about our awful defence the better (although I suppose we're fine on pure numbers, it's just quality that is the issue).

I suppose you can argue the damage was done in previous windows and it's not that our budget is low this summer, it's just not enough to fix 9 years worth of terrible transfer dealings. But in the spirit of the discussion, the budget is tight relative to what we need.

0le

Way too much for someone with his wages. A 65+15 would have been a much better balanced offer.

Shame that our fanbase and ETH neutered our negotiating power...
Based on that source and current exchange rates, it is £69m + £10m add-ons (£79m total) when converted to pounds, which is similar to the numerical numbers you have posted there.

If you expected the deal to be €65+€15 then that would be £55m+£13m (£68m total). Not sure that <£60m as a base cost has ever been seriously considered possible.

LoneStar

I wouldn't take the fees reported by Barca sources/journalists as an absolute truth. Maybe wait till what some reputable British sources confirm it.

SirAF

Ageist
There is no market where it's a tight budget.
It depends on your needs.

In an ideal world United need a top midfielder (De Jong) that is going to cost around 80m? They also need a right back, CB and a striker. And that’s the bare minimum. In this case that’s a fairly conservative budget, there’s no need to be difficult.

SirAF

Ageist
It is relative to how bad our squad is, and how much players cost in the current market. Every half decent player costs us £50m and has done for years.

We've lost 2 CM's from an already weak midfield and it's looking unlikely we'll get a DM alongside De Jong. We only have 3 senior attacking players currently. The less said about our awful defence the better (although I suppose we're fine on pure numbers, it's just quality that is the issue).

I suppose you can argue the damage was done in previous windows and it's not that our budget is low this summer, it's just not enough to fix 9 years worth of terrible transfer dealings. But in the spirit of the discussion, the budget is tight relative to what we need.
Exactly this.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

In an ideal world United need a top midfielder (De Jong) that is going to cost around 80m? They also need a right back, CB and a striker. And that’s the bare minimum. In this case that’s a fairly conservative budget, there’s no need to be difficult.
No it doesn't. It depends on your own finances and the averages in your industry. Our budget is massive, it's a large budget in Football.

It's not because we may need to spend 400m to fix the team that 120m-150m per year is a tight budget, on the contrary it's a large budget and unlike most teams we can do it in 3 instead of 5 years or never.

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
No it doesn't. It depends on your own finances and the averages in your industry. Our budget is massive, it's a large budget in Football.

It's not because we may need to spend 400m to fix the team that 120m-150m per year is a tight budget, on the contrary it's a large budget and unlike most teams we can do it in 3 instead of 5 or never.
Yes, it does. You are just arguing for the sake of it :lol:

croadyman

Would say DM and RW as well

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well, you are always going to comment no matter what. You just happen to be wrong this particular time, that’s okay.
There is no problem if I'm wrong, we had two posts and you decided to make it personal out of nowhere. I won't bother you in the future.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yes, it does. You are just arguing for the sake of it :lol:
It’s not. Because the team ‘needs 8 players’ doesn’t mean anything less than the 300m that would take is ‘small’. The idea isn’t to buy every single player the squad needs this summer. And if it is to be done over time, 150m (net) is not small increments.

The reason you are calling it small is because you are looking at it in the context of what the team needs, not what we want to bring in this summer. It’s like saying anything less than 1bn is a small budget for Newcastle, on the basis that their objective is to build a league and CL winning team.

James35

I hope FDJ wears a cape because he will need super powers to make us any better, when he has one of McFred covering his ass and Maguire being a complete nervous wreck on the ball behind him.

OrcaFat

It's not because we may need to spend 400m to fix the team that 120m-150m per year is a tight budget, on the contrary it's a large budget and unlike most teams we can do it in 3 instead of 5 or never.
It’s a huge budget but nowhere near enough to close the gap significantly on City and Liverpool. In that sense it doesn’t matter that it is huge, it is in fact tiny in comparison to what is needed. A fact we need to accept.

What concerns me is not the amount but how it is spent and on whose say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.