Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Rash

Hey if ETH can pull this off then all is forgiven.

FDJ is that good, he is what we need and we would only need another CB to partner Maguire.
I think FDJ can be a really good signing but I really think we will need a lot more. We need at least a CB, RB, DM, RW and backup CF. It's a lot of ask in the remainder of the window but I think we need to fill at least 3 of those positions still

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Looks like this, just that Monday is the first day. That is great for the Romans, but in my part of the world in the 21st century, Monday is the first day of the week.
Yet you use the original Roman influenced names for the days instead of a 21st century alternative like Satzdayz or Mondzzzz. Checkmate.

RedGib

Well this is the way calendars always traditionally looked in this part of the World and Sunday is technically the first day of the week using the Roman calendar. Monday being the first day of the working week and with work being such a central thing to modern life I can see how things have shifted but I've not seen a calendar going Mon to Sunday tbh.
Goes Monday to Sunday for Craig David so I’m sticking with that

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
69m is surely WUM.

I can't imagine one chairman calling another with an offer of £69m for such and such whilst keeping a straight face. It's literally impossible.

GreatDane

In any civilized country monday is considered the first day of the week.
Dont care what any Romans said, they're gone.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
They knocked off £4 million, bravo.
Yeah, four MILLION.

I'm seriously amazed at how many of you look at the first number and ignore the string of 0s after it. It's four million. 75 thousand a week. It's not pocket change.

And if De Jong had already signed what would be different? He'd still be on holiday.

Folk really are just up for complaining over everything here nowadays .

Stan Jefferson

The international standard for the representation of dates and times has Monday as the first day of the week.

Most of the Americas and some of Asia consider Sunday the first, parts of North Africa and the Middle East say Saturday is the first and pretty much the rest of the world says Monday.

Stabra

Sunday is day one, The Sabbath is day seven. Our society is based on jewish/christian roots like it or not.
What about people who define their weeks with the term "calendar week"?
https://www.calendar-week.org/

What is the Calendar Week?
In Europe the calendar week is a week that begins with Monday and ends with Sunday. Altogether, the year usually has 52 calendar weeks.

GreatDane

Yeah, four MILLION.

I'm seriously amazed at how many of you look at the first number and ignore the string of 0s after it. It's four million. 75 thousand a week. It's not pocket change.

And if De Jong had already signed what would be different? He'd still be on holiday.

£4m, that's what? A decent pizza?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Fair point, but there isn't much after those 3 in the Glazer years. We really seem to struggle to make good sales.

James was a rare exception. We did very well to make a profit on him.
No we didn’t. That’s exactly how you make a profit off a player. Sign a player for a low fee on low wages. Give them enough game time to put them in the shop window. They get international caps. They gain in value. The problem with us is we've given insane wages to pretty much everybody on their second deal and no other club wants to match it so it majorly eats into the transfer fee if we can do a deal at all. James was good business if you want to make money from selling players (which we clearly don’t care that much about)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
69m is surely WUM.

I can't imagine one chairman calling another with an offer of £69m for such and such whilst keeping a straight face. It's literally impossible.
We wouldn’t be making Barcelona any offer in pounds, it’s merely a conversion.

Red Rash

The important thing is we get him in before the team return from their holiday. If we got him on transfer deadline day to save four million I could understand the frustration but the reality is we still have time to integrate him into the team and reduced the price a bit.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
How long until some people in here start moaning that it’s ‘gone quiet’

VanDeBank

Ma’am
No we didn’t. That’s exactly how you make a profit off a player. Sign a player for a low fee on low wages. Give them enough game time to put them in the shop window. They get international caps. They gain in value. The problem with us is we've given insane wages to pretty much everybody on their second deal and no other club wants to match it so it majorly eats into the transfer fee if we can do a deal at all. James was good business if you want to make money from selling players (which we clearly don’t care that much about)
James was shite though and everyone knew it. We were just lucky Leeds and Bielsa wanted to break the bank for him. Firpo and him is the the Leeds equivalent of us signing Maguire on a 7 year deal for 80mil.

The processes you're describing is entirely irrelevant. We'd have held onto him if it wasn't for Leeds throwing money at his because we'd have overvalued him if other clubs came knocking offering us 10-15 million.

El-Manos

RW, RB and a versatile striker and we’ll be laughing. We are not really linked to any RB’s though, are we ?

Withnail

To paraphrase the bible- on the seventh day (Sunday) He rested. Therefore the first day is Monday.
That was the Sabbath which was actually Saturday according to the time period. Christians changed the Sabbath to Sunday at some stage later while the Jews kept Saturday as the Sabbath.

However, as somebody pointed out the internationally recognised calendar has Monday at the start of the week so that's the end of that.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yeah, four MILLION.

Presumably these people wouldn't bother selling players valued at £4m, they would just give them away.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Murtough is now officially the strong man of Europe.
I presume he’s just concerned with doing a good job for his employers rather than meeting the requirements to win silly internet accolades and approvals. Him saving his employers 4m would be appreciated and a sign of him doing his job well.

Status
Not open for further replies.