Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stringer

Harsh. Think the Caf has massively overrated De Jong, tbh. A lot of posters on this forum seem to think he’s this world class superstar or something.

He hasn’t come close to living up to the hype at Barca. I actually think Tielemans would be a solid signing for you.
He might not be currently but he has the potential and Ten Hag would be the best manager to help him realize that potential.

I do agree that Tielemans is solid and a clear upgrade on the current options but he doesn't have world class potential like FdJ.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Smells like Dybala ..... when will our club learn from their mistakes, and try to sign players who actually want to play for us.... FDJ has been anti the move (according to press from the start) the only reason Barca were talking is because they need the money, don't mean doo doo if the player pulls the plug though
Based on what exactly?

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Smells like Dybala ..... when will our club learn from their mistakes, and try to sign players who actually want to play for us.... FDJ has been anti the move (according to press from the start) the only reason Barca were talking is because they need the money, don't mean doo doo if the player pulls the plug though
So why would we dick about for 2 months, negotiating with Barca, agreeing a fee etc, without having any idea if the player actually wants to come.
Do people think transfers in real life are like Football Manager? Bid, have it accepted and just hope and pray the player wants to come??

We'd do a lot of sounding out beforehand, contact the players agent etc and see if theres any point in pushing forward.

AlexUTD

Harsh. Think the Caf has massively overrated De Jong, tbh. A lot of posters on this forum seem to think he’s this world class superstar or something.

He hasn’t come close to living up to the hype at Barca. I actually think Tielemans would be a solid signing for you.
I would suggest you see De Jong playing CL for Ajax under Ten Hag or the Dutch national team where he play on his strengths.

Mainoldo

I wonder if other clubs have figured out, they can pressure us into making bad decisions/overpaying by riling up our fairly easy to manipulate fanbase?

If its a question of overpaying by 5-10m vs a group of morons turning up outside your house, it might not be worth the hassle.
Atleast some have woke up to the fact that we are our worse enemy.

Dazzmondo

would need to be more than 40% probably. Try 75%
Do we actually know this? What is it based on? There's always talk about Barca being bankrupt, but they are actively trying to sign Lewandowski and Raphinha right now. They just seem to spend money and get more money from sponsors, and somehow never get any major punishments despite seeming to repeatedly break FFP. There was already talk of FDJ being prepared to drop his wage to £250k to play for us. What if he drops his £380k wage to £200k to stay at Barca, which has always clearly seemed to be his first choice anyway?

Keefy18

He's also happy to join us which is why he's about the fecking do so :lol:

The two aren't mutually exclusive.
Again, provide me with a quote saying anything close to him wanting to leave or even considering. There's nothing out there at all and I'm very confident of it.

That's not true, though. Koeman implied he wanted to stay, but there is nothing from the player himself.

"A couple of days ago he told me he wanted to continue. What I don't know is if Barca wants to sell him or needs money because he is one of the few players for whom they can get a good amount. For me, De Jong is a great player for Barca."

This is the only direct quote I can find on Koeman's "interview" and it's fairly vague at that. Interpret it how you want.

Do you really believe we'd continue chasing FDJ if he had, at any point in the negotiations, made it clear he didn't want to join United?

Of course its not from FDJ in this instance, however FDJ has said repeatedly in recent weeks he is very happy at Barca and doesn't want to leave.

19th Feb
“I’m very happy I’m at Barcelona: from a young age I’ve wanted to be here, so in that way it has been a dream come true,”

“But I would have liked to win more trophies than we did in my first two years. I expected more in that sense, let’s put it that way.

“But other than that, I’m very happy here and hopefully for many more years.”
14 June
‘You’re always flattered when teams show interest in you as a player.

‘But, as you say, I am at the biggest club in the world at the moment and I feel fine there, so no news.’
This is before we consider quotes from Koeman and the Barca board time an time again.

Here tonight right now, Ronaldo is getting dogs abuse for wanting to leave, whilst FDJ is being protected for not wanting to leave his current club.

Zed 101

So why would we dick about for 2 months, negotiating with Barca, agreeing a fee etc, without having any idea if the player actually wants to come.
Do people think transfers in real life are like Football Manager? Bid, have it accepted and just hope and pray the player wants to come??

We'd do a lot of sounding out beforehand, contact the players agent etc and see if theres any point in pushing forward.
I dunno but seems to be a pattern with us

We publicly courted Dybala despite, his saying he didn't want to leave Italy, the parallels with FDJ are huge

I am more convinced by our actions over the last 5 or so seasons in terms of transfers that it is our club's recruitment team that think the world operates like football manager not the majority of the fans

redshaw

I wonder if other clubs have figured out, they can pressure us into making bad decisions/overpaying by riling up our fairly easy to manipulate fanbase?

If its a question of overpaying by 5-10m vs a group of morons turning up outside your house, it might not be worth the hassle.
80m for Maguire is hard to come back from. Here we are again looking for that much needed signing that will change things with a new manager. I'd argue backing ten Hag is crucial over the other managers we've backed but also at the same time we need to not get done over like with Maguire.

Suv666

Tielemans over De Jong are you on crack?
Jesus Christ :lol::lol:

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
No, he certainly isn’t. He’s a top talent but he hasn’t reached anywhere near the level everyone expected when he left Ajax. Same with his compatriot and former teammate De Ligt. Both have been slightly disappointing at their clubs. Solid, but not world class.
I would suggest you see De Jong playing CL for Ajax under Ten Hag or the Dutch national team where he play on his strengths.
Yeah, maybe. It just feels like this place has let the hype of signing a big name get to your heads. Many here acting as if you’re getting prime Kroos or Xavi.

He is a nice player who has a couple of levels to go up to reach the world class level.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Didn’t say that. Just said he’d be a solid backup option if De Jong stays.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
It's over; the lad never wanted to leave in the first place; now Laporta the Inconsistent saying that he'll fight to keep him: probably means they can't afford B.Silva.

Speedicut75

No, he certainly isn’t. He’s a top talent but he hasn’t reached anywhere near the level everyone expected when he left Ajax. Same with his compatriot and former teammate De Ligt. Both have been slightly disappointing at their clubs. Solid, but not world class.

Yeah, maybe. It just feels like this place has let the hype of signing a big name get to your heads. Many here acting as if you’re getting prime Kroos or Xavi.

He is a nice player who has a couple of levels to go up to reach the world class level.
You're barking up the wrong cult if you want to convert some of the "believers" on here.

Berbaclass

Do we actually know this? What is it based on? There's always talk about Barca being bankrupt, but they are actively trying to sign Lewandowski and Raphinha right now. They just seem to spend money and get more money from sponsors, and somehow never get any major punishments despite seeming to repeatedly break FFP. There was already talk of FDJ being prepared to drop his wage to £250k to play for us. What if he drops his £380k wage to £200k to stay at Barca, which has always clearly seemed to be his first choice anyway?

Keefy18

FDJ is the better player, still... I don't think it'll work out if he shows up.

Rarely does a player who doesn't want to leave their current club work out.

Messi? Lukaku? ADM?

It's very immature and arrogant to just send a reply like yours.

Berbaclass

FDJ is the better player, still... I don't think it'll work out if he shows up.

Rarely does a player who doesn't want to leave their current club work out.

Messi? Lukaku? ADM?

It's very immature and arrogant to just send a reply like yours.
:rolleyes:

goalscholes

They’re negotiating. If they want to offer serious money and wages this transfer window, they’ll sell him. He’s a backup and they’ll get 60-80m (plus 200k+ a week wages) for him.

Barca knows United fans are demanding investment and are annoyed with the owners, so are stoking fires.

Dazzmondo

My question was if he renegotiated to take a pay cut of 40%, which I expect he would be willing to do, is there anything to suggest Barcelona could not keep him and continue under these new conditions? In this situation that automatic £25m would be obsolete.

cyberman

If he does stay after all this saga, who would you guys even turn to?
Honestly, some cheap alternative somewhere for 20m.
We seem to have frozen ourselves in the market this summer. In not wanting to overpay and drive hard bargains we are too afraid to place bids that would be accepted. We even had to wait until Lyon negotiated a price before stepping in and the same goes for Arsenal and Martinez. Eriksen is a free and that is a fecking race between us and Brentford.
Fans don’t want to hear that but even Martinez isn’t nailed on to join us if Arsenal up their bid and want to overpay to make up for the Ten Hag disadvantage. This entire summer is a mess and the general opinion is we need an almost new 11 to get top 4. Fail to get our targets and that doesn’t change. If we are that far back then we are a mid table side.
That’s if we fail this summer. I do think our targets are fantastic for what we need.
We are literally off to Thailand in 6 days and we will have a young LB on the plane as an addition. It’s mind boggling how we got here.

Berbaclass

My question was if he renegotiated to take a pay cut of 40%, which I expect he would be willing to do, is there anything to suggest Barcelona could not keep him and continue under these new conditions? In this situation that automatic £25m would be obsolete.
They are over the salary cap and want to buy/register Lewa, Kessie, Christiansen, Rafinha etc.

50% decrease isn't enough.

Keefy18

Anything of substance to add?

Reality is, players who do not want to leave their current clubs but are forced out rarely work out. ADM was a disaster and he openly stated why and his wife, complete circus!

Like I said. 50% isn't enough.
Neither of us know that, we've no idea what they negotiated on June 30th for the debt pay off.

For Laporta to come out with such a statement it suggests there's some wiggle room on wages for him to stay, whereas before there was none.

Berbaclass

Anything of substance to add?

Reality is, players who do not want to leave their current clubs but are forced out rarely work out. ADM was a disaster and he openly stated why and his wife, complete circus!

Neither of us know that, we've no idea what they negotiated on June 30th for the debt pay off.

For Laporta to come out with such a statement it suggests there's some wiggle room on wages for him to stay, whereas before there was none.
No mate, you don't know. I'm trying to explain though :lol:

Skills

Snitch
80m for Maguire is hard to come back from. Here we are again looking for that much needed signing that will change things with a new manager. I'd argue backing ten Hag is crucial over the other managers we've backed but also at the same time we need to not get done over like with Maguire.
The 80m for Maguire was mostly due to fan pressure as well. The club didn't want him - they rejected him the year before, but then had to suffer an entire year of 'manager didn't get backed'/'if only Jose had Maguire'.

If we didn't buy Maguire that summer after a second manager had asked for him, someone would've burned down Woodward's house.

Castia

In the space of a few hours we have Laporte saying he’s not for sale and Ronaldo asking to leave….fecking hell.

Newtonius

In the space of a few hours we have Laporte saying he’s not for sale and Ronaldo asking to leave….fecking hell.
Innit these swings are mental, we all thought FDJ was in the bag, had essentially just signed Tyrel and just as they seem to be moving on to Lisandro this drops. No wonder everyone is so negative all the time feeling positive invites the pain :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.