Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
"Frenkie De Jong is a player with great quality ; he knows our system and , yes , he is a greatly desired player in the market and proposals have come to us , but I think he must continue at Barça" - Joan Laporta, L'Esportiu, 25th May 2022.

But he agreed a deal with us anyway... :wenger:

Keefy18

To be fair it does seem like he's talking about the other interview there. At no point does he say "I spoke to him"
Another link here, mirror.. less reputable. Wording changed. Either way, I've lost count how many times I've read he's happy to stay put.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/koeman-frenkie-dejong-manutd-barcelona-27345461

He is, it's all good
Hows it good? Why sign a player that doesn't want to leave?

We can't in one sentiment tell Ronnie to sod off if he doesn't want to be here and then welcome another player with open arms who doesn't want to leave their current club for us?

Tad contradictory isn't it?

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Another link here, mirror.. less reputable. Wording changed. Either way, I've lost count how many times I've read he's happy to stay put.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/koeman-frenkie-dejong-manutd-barcelona-27345461

We can't in one sentiment tell Ronnie to sod off if he doesn't want to be here and then welcome another player with open arms who doesn't want to leave their current club for us?

We get it now, you don't think we'll sign him. Neither should we according to you. So it's all good, right?

Bob McRib

Supports
Tennessee Volunteers
This deal is still on and I’ve been crushing Amstel lights all afternoon in anticipation of what’s sure to be a huge week.

phelans shorts

Since when have sports fans cared about that?

Brophs

The One and Only
"Frenkie De Jong is a player with great quality ; he knows our system and , yes , he is a greatly desired player in the market and proposals have come to us , but I think he must continue at Barça" - Joan Laporta, L'Esportiu, 25th May 2022.

But he agreed a deal with us anyway... :wenger:
You'd never see Richard Arnold saying something like that.....even he knows we don't have a system.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
If FDJ accepts massive salary cut ( something around 40% of what he is earning right now) then he might stay. This after being promised massive wage increase from this season. No matter how much you like the place but you should never stay at a place where you are treated like trash

Berbaclass

You're obviously forgetting all of the times it's been reported he's open to joining us and would agree to personal terms.

Keefy18

We get it now, you don't think we'll sign him. Neither should we according to you. So it's all good, right?
Weather we sign him or not I don't know.

The point I'm making is we are chasing a player that has repeatedly stated their happiness with their current club, Barca want to keep him too but for financial constraints.

It's hardly ideal to be signing a player with this in mind and it is akin to ADM being pushed out the door by Real.

vanderpants

What an awful day to be a Utd fan, first Andy Goram, then Ronaldo, and now Barca keeping De Jong, there's nothing like following utd, always a rollercoaster ride

Berbaclass

If FDJ accepts massive salary cut ( something around 40% of what he is earning right now) then he might stay. This after being promised massive wage increase from this season. No matter how much you like the place but you should never stay at a place where you are treated like trash
would need to be more than 40% probably. Try 75%

Keefy18

You're obviously forgetting all of the times it's been reported he's open to joining us and would agree to personal terms.
I'm yet to see a single quote from him personally stating such. Feel free to provide me something other than him saying he's happy at Barca.

Betson

Still think this deal will go through , surely even us are not as incompetent to spend the summer negotiating one deal only to find out the player does not want to come to us and his club does not want to sell to us.

You would to have to think this coming from Barce now at this late stage is part of their end of deal negotiating to squeeze a more quid out of us.

Moriarty

It's a bloody soap opera. Who shot Phil Mitchell? Will De Jong sign for United? Will Cristiano leave? Watch the next thrilling episode.

Berbaclass

I'm yet to see a single quote from him personally stating such. Feel free to provide me something other than him saying he's happy at Barca.
He's also happy to join us which is why he's about the fecking do so :lol:

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Newtonius

Its not the kind of thing you say if a fee is agreed think we can all agree on that much.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He has said repeatedly he doesn't want to leave, that means not being at United... unless there's some other alternate I'm not aware of.

How many times does a person have to say it to make some of you lot realize he's quite happy where he is?
That's not true, though. Koeman implied he wanted to stay, but there is nothing from the player himself.

"A couple of days ago he told me he wanted to continue. What I don't know is if Barca wants to sell him or needs money because he is one of the few players for whom they can get a good amount. For me, De Jong is a great player for Barca."

This is the only direct quote I can find on Koeman's "interview" and it's fairly vague at that. Interpret it how you want.

Do you really believe we'd continue chasing FDJ if he had, at any point in the negotiations, made it clear he didn't want to join United?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
If he does stay after all this saga, who would you guys even turn to?

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Still think this deal will go through , surely even us are not as incompetent to spend the summer negotiating one deal only to find out the player does not want to come to us and his club does not want to sell to us.

You would to have to think this coming from Barce now at this late stage is part of their end of deal negotiating to squeeze a more quid out of us.
We wouldn't have entered into negotiations if we didn't have assurances that he wants to come, let alone agree a fee and payment structure.
We'd reach out to FDJ's team first to see if he's open to it and go from there. No way would we just go to Barca and say we want this guy without knowing for sure if he wants to come!

AdNani

love how anything United say is PR or 'Spin' but anything Laporta says is gospel. you don't negotiate a very public transfer and then at the end of it say i think he should stay. If you think that you wouldn't of negotiated the transfer in the first place.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I've slated United but at this point, feck these Barca slimeballs.

Either sell him or don't, bunch of drama queens.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
love how anything United say is PR or 'Spin' but anything Laporta says is gospel. you don't negotiate a very public transfer and then at the end of it say i think he should stay.
Exactly, people are saying Barca pulled the plug, or FDJ doesn't want to go... but if that was the case, we'd have briefed way before Laporta said anything!
We have a tendency to do that to put a stop to things. If everything went pear shaped, we'd brief quickly and get it over with. Theres nothing to suggest a brief is imminent or whatnot. People need to relax

redshaw

We can see at least they're open to selling him after this long but our board could get caught out expecting to get a fairly cheap deal. Barca may have a set price to make it worthwhile and are not as desperate as some think. They'll want a decent wedge for a class player like De Jong and may call our boards bluff if we don't come with the money.

AdNani

Exactly, people are saying Barca pulled the plug, or FDJ doesn't want to go... but if that was the case, we'd have briefed way before Laporta said anything!
We have a tendency to do that to put a stop to things. If everything went pear shaped, we'd brief quickly and get it over with. Theres nothing to suggest a brief is imminent or whatnot. People need to relax
Yup, pretty clear it's a PR move to say that we offered him the chance to stay but he was keen on a 80% wage reduction, mes que en bellend

Skills

Snitch
I wonder if other clubs have figured out, they can pressure us into making bad decisions/overpaying by riling up our fairly easy to manipulate fanbase?

If its a question of overpaying by 5-10m vs a group of morons turning up outside your house, it might not be worth the hassle.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Tielemans who isn’t even half the player
Harsh. Think the Caf has massively overrated De Jong, tbh. A lot of posters on this forum seem to think he’s this world class superstar or something.

He hasn’t come close to living up to the hype at Barca. I actually think Tielemans would be a solid signing for you.

Berbaclass

Harsh. Think the Caf has massively overrated De Jong, tbh. A lot of posters on this forum seem to think he’s this world class superstar or something.

He hasn’t come close to living up to the hype at Barca. I actually think Tielemans would be a solid signing for you.
He is.

AdNani

Tielemans has hardly set the world alight at Leicester so there's a few levels of difference there.

feck it 80m im all in

Zed 101

Smells like Dybala ..... when will our club learn from their mistakes, and try to sign players who actually want to play for us.... FDJ has been anti the move (according to press from the start) the only reason Barca were talking is because they need the money, don't mean doo doo if the player pulls the plug though

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

De Jong is much better.

Tielemans is ok but cements us further into mediocrity. He was poor last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.