g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
No, but spending all window chasing our midfield dream target from Barca for him ending up staying.
Spending all window chasing him indicates that his interest in joining us is not an issue.

We've seen how quickly we moved from Timber to Martinez once it became clear he didn't want to come.

izec

Spending all window chasing him indicates that his interest in joining us is not an issue.
No, but he would still prefer to stay at Barca if there is a possibility. Lets be honest, football players always think they can make it work if given time.

Berbaclass

No, but he would still prefer to stay at Barca if there is a possibility. Lets be honest, football players always think they can make it work if given time.
He would stay at Barca if they didn't want rid of him.

They do and he isn't going to.

Mmm-Qatarian

Doubters be mad:

Mods can perma-ban my account if this De Jong transfer doesn't go through. No ITK information; I'm just drunk and very convinced that this is just Laporta doing what chairmen do.

SamVimes

What an absolute joke. If it's true that we've been led up the garden path by Barca only to be hung out to dry, then who can really blame Ronaldo for wanting out? It would be typical United. A fecking laughing stock. The most important transfer window of our recent history and we are looking like rank amateurs.
I am not sure how you can blame the Club here. Like any business you enter negotiations in good faith. There were ongoing negotiations and dealings around the transfer. At no stage did it appear it was some duplicitous ploy by Barcelona. If anything, if the reports are true then it is Barcelona who will come out of this with their reputation sullied.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Said it already 2 weeks ago.

There's an army of folks in here with their heads firmly buried in sand and don't want comparisons to Cesc or ADM.
How do you figure?
Do you know whats being said behind closed doors? have you got a source in the FDJ camp that can prove without a shadow of a doubt that he has absolutely no interest in coming here?
Why exactly would we waste our time on a player that has no interest in coming to us? Fabregas was a mess from the start. We were told numerous times that he wasn't for sale but we didn't take no for an answer. This time we're in advanced negotiations with an outline fee agreed. We wouldn't do that if the player had no interest in coming!

As i say, what a player and club says in public isn't always what they say behind closed doors.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Confidence is down after the comments and the Ronny stuff as well
Wouldn't let the comments get to you.
Theres no indications from anyone in the media who have connections to this that the deal is off, and there has been no brief by United saying we're walking away. Until that time, nothing had changed

Berbaclass

What makes you so certain out of interest
Pretty much every reliable source has said it will happen.

A few comments from a known bullshitter doesn't change anything. His 'not for sale' stance is clearly bollocks when we're literally negotiating with them.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
It all comes down to this: How much of a wage reduction can he live with to be played out of position at his beloved Barca, who are in the Champions League? What is he prepared to sacrifice?

Edwards6

If he really had no interest in coming we would of walked away by now.
and for everyone panicking about the Laporta comments, he said the same about Messi last summer...

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
One way or another the saga needs to end soon. We either agree the deal or walk away.

65m +20m in add-ons is still a hell of a lot of cash. If they don't accept it then go get Tielemans for 35m and buy a DM too. That would still be a huge improvement on what we have.

Some might argue Tielemans and a DM might be a better outcome than just signing one midfielder (De Jong) too.

This rebuild isn't going to fix everything in one window. Next season is again going to be a bumpy one. It always was.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Do you not think if thats the case we'd have bailed on the transfer already?
We wouldn't continue with something that we knew we'd have no chance of completing, theres been many times in the past where we've briefed that we've ended interest in a player.

I love how people treat Laportas word as gospel and that all the problems Barca have are now suddenly gone and they'll be free to sign all these players they want with no further issues.
You think United are going to brief something like that on the same day the Ronaldo news breaks? :lol: If it is indeed over then it will trickle out over the next few days.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!

A few comments from a known bullshitter doesn't change anything. His 'not for sale' stance is clearly bollocks when we're literally negotiating with them.
He's certainly said some crap in the past.

The whole Messi situation was, well, just plain stupid. He also apparently lied about Sergi Roberto (https://barcauniversal.com/barcelon...lams-joan-laporta-for-lying-far-from-reality/), so yeah his track record isn't exactly great when it comes to telling the truth. He's going to do "Everything is his power" to keep de Jong, but he'll put it down to financial issues when the sale goes through in the end.

Keefy18

How do you figure?
Do you know whats being said behind closed doors? have you got a source in the FDJ camp that can prove without a shadow of a doubt that he has absolutely no interest in coming here?
Why exactly would we waste our time on a player that has no interest in coming to us? Fabregas was a mess from the start. We were told numerous times that he wasn't for sale but we didn't take no for an answer. This time we're in advanced negotiations with an outline fee agreed. We wouldn't do that if the player had no interest in coming!

As i say, what a player and club says in public isn't always what they say behind closed doors.
There's just so many quotes out there recently of him stating his happiness with Barca. Tie in their woeful financial situation...

I mean lets be perfectly honest here, every member here who disagrees with me openly admits that the club are only selling him because of their financial problems! Between the two sentiments, surely to god it must tell folks that in an ideal world FDJ stays put.

Its not like he's doing a Ronaldo here and putting in a transfer request / consider offers is it?

The only reason we are pursuing this is because we think we can strong arm them, during a summer we need to make ourselves look strong in the market... what a co-inky-dink hey?! Now its back fired.

As for the final bold bit, it didn't stop us pursuing ADM and eventually signing him did it? Were not alone though in that respect, Chelsea made same mistake with Rom last summer.

Transfers are a mess these days because of the sums of money involved.

PoTMS

I'm so bored of this saga. Hopefully we sign him up or we move on swiftly. If we start looking now, we might possibly get them in before the window closes.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
You think United are going to brief something like that on the same day the Ronaldo news breaks? :lol: If it is indeed over then it will trickle out over the next few days.
Maybe not a brief from United, but "sources" close to the deal will definitely start leaking that things have broken down.

izec

Yeah. It’s about no transfers. Sure. That’s not just PR bullshit which his **** followers will lap up.
Part of it. Our squad looks dire at this point in time. You dont know what they promised him behind the scenes, and failed to deliver.

marktan

One way or another the saga needs to end soon. We either agree the deal or walk away.

65m +20m in add-ons is still a hell of a lot of cash. If they don't accept it then go get Tielemans for 35m and buy a DM too. That would still be a huge improvement on what we have.

Some might argue Tielemans and a DM might be a better outcome than just signing one midfielder (De Jong) too.

This rebuild isn't going to fix everything in one window. Next season is again going to be a bumpy one. It always was.
My thinking too. Tielemans + Bissouma wouldve been a better deal for me than just FDJ.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Part of it. Our squad looks dire at this point in time. You dont know what they promised him behind the scenes, and failed to deliver.
He’s been whoring himself around for months. It has feck all to do with transfers. He’s right though - If we had any ambition this summer the 38 year old poacher would have been the first one we’d replaced.

Suv666

This is a done deal. Unless Ornstein and Co don't report its off its not off.
Who cares what the Barca board has to say. They are insane anyway.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
My thinking too. Tielemans + Bissouma wouldve been a better deal for me than just FDJ.
Then again this Lisandro Martinez is a DM by trade isn't he? The fact he played CB last season doesn't necessarily mean that's where he will play for us if we sign him.

Maybe that's the plan? Personally I'd be happy enough with our current CB's if we had a top midfield.

Berbaclass

Then again this Lisandro Martinez is a DM by trade isn't he? The fact he played CB last season doesn't necessarily mean that's where he will play for us if we sign him.

Maybe that's the plan? Personally I'd be happy enough with our current CB's if we had a top midfield.
No he's a CB

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Ten Hag said hes not a DM. Hes only a CB for him.

pocco

loco

Well, there were tweets earlier saying the our guys have been confused by what Barca tell them and contradict themselves in the media. It kind of asserts that even we aren't fully convinced this is going to happen,but we wanted to try anyway.

Maybe not a brief from United, but "sources" close to the deal will definitely start leaking that things have broken down.
Sources would have to have that info from people at United, who very much will control the narrative in the UK on this one. They won't let a whisper of info out on this if it's broken down, not just yet. We'll look like absolute buffoons and the supporters will hit a new low after the Ronaldo news too. It's not a good look for us.

pocco

loco
This is a done deal. Unless Ornstein and Co don't report its off its not off.
Who cares what the Barca board has to say. They are insane anyway.
The things that add credibility to this for me are a) Xavi seemingly wants to keep him at all costs, b) their supporters want to keep him, and that's important for their elected president, c) there was an apparently very reliable Barcelona journalist who has said all along that he is definitely not leaving and d) FdJ has said he's never been told he's leaving and that he doesn't want to leave. Plus saying he's already at the biggest club in the world is an odd thing to say if you think you are about to leave for another club that thinks they're the biggest.

All these things have given me enough pause for thought throughout, along with the sheer length of time it's took to just get to a stage where we've not even agreed fees or discussed the players wages.

Berbaclass

The things that add credibility to this for me are a) Xavi seemingly wants to keep him at all costs, b) their supporters want to keep him, and that's important for their elected president, c) there was an apparently very reliable Barcelona journalist who has said all along that he is definitely not leaving and d) FdJ has said he's never been told he's leaving and that he doesn't want to leave. Plus saying he's already at the biggest club in the world is an odd thing to say if you think you are about to leave for another club that thinks they're the biggest.

All these things have given me enough pause for thought throughout, along with the sheer length of time it's took to just get to a stage where we've not even agreed fees or discussed the players wages.
1. Of course Xavi is going to want a great player to stay.
2. Same as above.
3. One contrarian journalist despite literally all the others UK and Spanish saying the deal is close.
4. Speculation at this point to suggest he hasn't been told or he doesn't currently want to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.